New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Reconciliation

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

The Past

The fire was roaring in the living room of the Duer living room. Snow was falling outside and they family were doing everything they could to keep warm. Mom and Dad were wearing long wool robes along with several pairs of socks. The twins Larry and Dickey were sharing the same blanket, trying to get as close to the fireplace as possible before Ma yelled, “Boys if you get burned I’m NOT taking you to the hospital. Henry was upstairs. Inside his sleeping bag he was wearing his week worth of shirts and a pair of shoes.
There was no TV to keep them entertained. Nor was there a radio to listen to. Dad turned off the electricity the day after New Year’s. They moved everything from the refrigerator to the garage and cellar to keep them fresh. The windows on the first floor were mostly boarded up, yet you could see the ice starting to break through the plywood.
Henry was wide-awake. In his candle lit room he was reading Tale of Two Cities. He has stolen several books from school and the library. Within the last month he has read Moby Dick, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and A Farewell to Arms. While all of his other friends were out playing with their 21st Century gadgets, Henry was stuck in his 1930’s house reading.
He looked at his wind-up clock. It was 2:38am. He put a bookmark on page 333, blew out the candle, and prayed his rosary. After he completed, he added, “God, I don’t know what the hell is going on. We are practically homeless and the future looks like s***. I pray Dad can get another job soon and the Mom will try to get back into teaching. It’s not fair that me and my brothers have to endure this! I swear on my grandparent’s name that I’ll never let this happen to my family when I’m older!
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »