Cirque Du someday

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Just a dream?

As I walk out on the stage, the warm spot light shines on my face. It’s my time, center stage with an audience of hundreds. The music starts, that my que. Grasping the silky rope in front of me, I start. Using every muscle in my body I do all I can to extend point and perform to the best of my ability. As the audience applauds running back stage my parents both there to congratulate me. Then they make their way out onto the stage. Yes this is my family circus, starting at a young age it has been my duty to eat breath and dream circus. Of course from years of performing all I want is a chance to have my act on the big stage in Las Vegas. My warm thoughts of performing with Cirque Du Soleil get rudely interrupted by the ranting of my parents; it’s a usual for the backstage life of our Circus. Still half dazed in my day dreams, It’s my time to make it back out on the stage.

Cleaning up after the show is my least favourite part, from my peripheral vision if can see my dad approaching me. “Hey honey, great show tonight! Were having a meeting today around 10:00pm in the studio”. I wonder what that was all about; hopefully it will intervene with chores. Walking into the studio, it looks like everyone is here! My mom and dad are standing at the front of the studio, as they stand the room becomes silent. My dad starts off the meeting, “Hello all and thank you for joining us, great work today it was a success. As you all know this is our 17th year on the stage and it’s been quite the amazing several years. But with funds we are going to have to take a break, come up with some new acts, a new show name and then we’ll be up and running again.” Someone in the audience raises their hand, “Alan, how are you expecting us to make it without any money in the meantime?” My dad then goes on explaining that they can either find a way to make it through the next few months or find another job. After that explanation it was astonishing and heartbreaking too see how many people had left the room after that remark. My mom then stormed out of the room, and then my dad with the look as if he were about to break down in tears. He then said, “That’s it, it’s over. We can’t go on making new acts and fund enough money to keep the circus going. This is the end of ‘A Circus in Time’” I couldn’t let them see all see my heart break, I ran out of the room as fast as I could and into the change room. Falling to my knees crying. How could they do this to me? After so many years of being a family, spending every waking minute with them. They just walk out on me like that.

It must have been almost an hour before making my way back to the trailer; I could hear my parents tent. Laying on the old red curtain I was thinking. What now, is that it? Do I now have no future in circus? It’s all have been working for so what is in store for me now? I’ve dedicated my whole lifetime to circus and now it’s gone. I would have never guessed that tomorrow night would be my last time on stage for who knows how long.
1
I walked into to my ‘house’ and only saw my mom. She then led on by saying “Your Dad is gone. He left last night.” Like this day could get worse she then went on saying that since we couldn’t afford to stay in Rhode Island so we were going to move to California and live with my Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Stan. So not only was it my last night on the stage but it was also my last day with my best friend Star. This is going to be a hard day. Calling up Star I didn’t have the heart to tell her over the phone so I asked her to come over ASAP. I hear a knock on the door, and my heart skips a beat. This is it. Star then running in to greet me her long black hair whipping me in the face I could tell that she ran here because her pale white skin had been painted with bright red cheeks. This is what would be the hardest thing I would probably have to do in a lifetime. “Star... I’m moving, to California.” Her face went blank. No expression what so ever. I then hugged her explaining that I would be back to Rhode island whenever I could. “I’m coming to your show tonight Zoe, I really don’t know how I’m going to live without you, when are you leaving?” “I’m leaving tomorrow at 11am.”

Hearing the Audio version of my Dad’s introduction tonight was the last night I am going to be on stage, tomorrow I’ll be in a new state, a new home, and be all alone facing a real school with totally new people. I hear my que, walking out onto the stage feeling the warm spotlights on my face and the presents of the packed theatre, this is my last night on stage, grabbing my silk and climbing up and performing to my best of ability. We don’t normally send off the audience but since it was the last night we all thought that it was acceptable. I look among the crowd for Star’s long pitch black hair and then see her. Her pale face wasn’t so pale, but almost as if it was raw from crying. I ran to her as fast as I could and wrapped my arms around her. The arena was clear from the audience, the only one who was still there was star. We had not moved, but it was time to say our goodbyes. “Star, you are my best friend and always will be. I’ll call you all the time and keep you updated”, “Goodbye Zoe”. We hugged, cried and went our separate ways.

I was lost, in this big world with hundreds of possibilities. The one person I had always gone to was my mom, I called for her and then went into the auditorium and saw her there laying in the middle of the stage. Walking up to her I went and laid beside her. “Zoe, just like you it was always my dream to perform with Cirque Du Soleil, even though I ended up here, it was an amazing journey. Even thought i didn’t make it as far as I wished, I kept perusing my dream and never gave up. California will be different. But you need to make sure you hold onto the feeling you get when you walk on the stage and all attention is on you.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »