New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

For Longer or No Longer

Author's note: This was a story written for a school asignment.
Author's note: This was a story written for a school asignment.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 2

THREE WEEKS LATER
The plane was crowded and stuffy. My brother and I were shoulder to shoulder and about as comfortable as two turtles would be if they were stuffed in the same shell. The only difference was I got the window seat! We had been fighting over the same seat ever since we hoped in the car at 3 A.M on this Monday morning. The only reason I have the seat though was because Sam’s shoes were untied and one of the flight attendants stopped him. I just laughed and sat down in the seat that was rightfully mine. I thought I might try to take a nap but I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to fall sleep.
“Attention all passengers, this is your Captain speaking. We will be flying through a patch of turbulence in a short amount of time, because of this the seat belt sign will be going on momentarily. Thank you and enjoy your ride.” The Captain sounded a bit bored and upset. I wondered if he liked his job because he didn’t sound like he did.
“Isabel, honey is your seatbelt fastened?”
“Yes Dad, my seatbelt is fastened. Do you think I’m planning to escape or something?” This happens every time we go somewhere. Dad freaks out and asks me ten times if I’m buckled up. The only reason he does though is because of what happened when I was three.
When I was three we took a plane to Wyoming for the holidays. I was sitting on an end seat and when my parents were distracted with Sam I stood up and walked down the aisle to an attendant that was standing outside the bathroom because I was thirsty. I mean I wasn’t going to jump out of the plane like a flying squirrel or anything. Although, my Dad happens to still think otherwise.
“Finally we’re here.” Sam and his sarcastic words were really starting to ruin my day. Every time something a little bit exciting happened he made the whole subject sound totally ridiculous. I really had an urge to check his birth certificate and make sure he was actually was 15 and not a 2 year old in disguise.
“Oh my, look at this beautiful island Steve.” Dad smiled. Mom had the real picture. She could see the pure beauty of this place.
“Mom, what are we going to do in all this time? We have two weeks here don’t we?”
“Oh, we could hike in the rainforests, swim with the dolphins, go to the zoo. There are plenty of places we could go!”
“Well in order to do that we have to go to the hotel first.” Dad had a point. In order to do anything we had to check into our hotel. So that’s what we did.
We grabbed our bags, called a cab and headed to our hotel. For the entire ride I was absorbed in the scenery of Honolulu. I wanted to stay there forever because there seemed like there was so much to see and learn for this magnificent island. How many times would I have the chance to explore this island anyways? Although the drive was just the start of the beauty and awe. The hotel was breathtaking. The design and art detail that was put into the making was just beautiful. I mean the hotel had a Tropical feel and look. Though, that was still just the start. Our room had an even more tropical and Hawaiian look that made me want to grab a magnifine glass and look closely at all the details, the points, the curves, and the colors. Our room had two double beds against the first wall when you walked in (The left wall.) There was a sliding door that leads to a deck on the far end of the room. On the right side of the room there was a sitting area with a TV and a little kitchen setup. Then as soon as you walked in on you right there was a bathroom.
“Isabel, you will sleep on the pull out bed because you sat in the window seat.”
“What! That’s not fair.”
“HAHA!” Sam was really bursting my bubble and I think he was starting to see that because he started to quiet down on his teasing.
“Hold your horses’ kids. You’re going to switch of on the beds and on the plane ride back Sam can have the window seat.”
“WHAT!” We both screamed simultaneously. Were they joking I would not stand for this. Never in a million years would I sleep on the same sheets that Sam slept on just the night before.
“Do not argue with your father! This is the fairest route to take.” Mom and her metaphors. Didn’t she know they weren’t cool anymore? Fine,’ I guess I’ll just have to sleep on the side he doesn’t touch. I looked over at Sam to see what if I could tell what he was thinking but all I could see was that he had that grin on his face and I just wanted to push him down from his glory, but I knew that if I did anything I could find myself in trouble and I didn’t want to take the chance on this vacation because that was the last thing I wanted to happen. Or at least that’s what I thought.