The Future Can Change With One Letter

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Chapter 1

Dear little Jay,

I want you to know a few things before you start your journey through life. You’ll be given a series of events that you MUST follow…
Do the right thing. I know you better than you think.

Love always,

Jayden

I licked both sticky ends of the envelope and pressed each ends of the papers together. I signed the front side of the envelope Little Jay and left it under the bed. I knew where I was going soon and the letter I just wrote was for the littler person that was coming in this room next. Nobody will ever understand what’s happening. Nobody will ever understand where it is that I’m going. Nobody but little Jay, will understand.
I slipped on my shoes, after sliding the letter under the bed, and then ran down stairs with my back pack on. My two best friends Lauren and Raquel were waiting for me at the door. We’ve been best friends since I’ve moved to San Diego California at the age of eight. That was eight years ago and now I’m sixteen. Now, I’m going back. I sprinted over to my mom and kissed her on the cheek, then walked over to my dad to kiss him on the cheek as well. My older sister was still sleeping, since she didn’t need to go to work until two that afternoon. It was just the two of us, Sadie and me.
I walked over to Lauren and Raquel and pushed them out the door, not saying a word. We didn’t talk that day while walking to school. It takes us ten minutes to walk to school, but I didn’t talk. I wasn’t much of a talker unless I was comfortable around you, like I was with Lauren and Raquel. Boys weren’t really a topic I liked to discuss either. They were all jerks anyway. I’ve dated three guys in my life. They all lasted three months, but they weren’t serious ones.

I was on the far left side, standing next to Raquel, when Lauren came on my right side so I was now in between Lauren and Raquel. Lauren tugged on the end of my shirt to get my attention.
“Jayden, what’s wrong?” she asked.
I shook my head, “nothing.”
“Jayden, I know something’s wrong. What is it?”
“It’s nothing Lauren.”
“But you’re not talking.”
“I never talk.”
“You do with us, but you’re not today.”
I took a deep breath and let out a sigh. “We’re moving back to Boston, Lauren. There I said it. I’m moving”
“You’re what?” she asked again.
“Moving, back to Boston,” I repeated.
Lauren stood there in the middle of the sidewalk at a halt, while Raquel and I continued to walk to school.
“So, you’re really moving back?” she asked.
“Yup. I have no choice.”
“When are you leaving?”
“Saturday.”
Raquel gestured her head to look at me in shock. “That’s in two days Jay and you didn’t tell us?”
“I wasn’t allowed to. Believe me; I don’t like the idea myself.”
But what Lauren and Raquel didn’t know, wouldn’t hurt. And I wasn’t really going to be gone, I’d just be younger.

Moving Day
-----------
I loaded my last suit case in the car before my family and I headed to bed in the last night at our home. After I loaded the last suit case, I crawled in to my bed, and fell into a dreamless sleep.
I woke up and noticed that we were approaching San Diego California for the first time. I had just turned eight years old. My sister was eleven. My name is Jayden, my sisters is Sadie. My parents had decided that moving was the best option for us. Boston was to, boring. It was pretty in the winter time but after so long of being there, they wanted a change. I guess change was always good. We would be going from heart cold weather to butt burning heat in a matter of a couple plane flights and a car ride. Growing up with snow as a little kid was one of the best experiences of my life. But, there wasn’t much snow in California, only in the mountains. But, the beach was close by which is something I’ve only been to twice in my life since the beach was a five hour drive away from my house back in Boston. Disneyland and Six Flags were in California too and my parents said we’ll be able to go there. So that was the plus side of moving there. One part of me wanted to leave Boston and the other part of me didn’t. I’d be leaving behind childhood memories, snow days, snow ball fights and my friends. I’d be leaving my life.
The car pulled up to the new house. This was my first time seeing it, but my parents had come here once to see it. That’s when they decided they were going to buy it. It was two stories high, light golden brown, a dark oak frame, a front patio and there was a swing on the patio deck. The grass was green and there was a big oak tree to the right side of the house. Over all, the outside of the house looked fairly nice. I didn’t bother unloading any of my suit cases just yet, so I just go out of the car and ran inside the house that my dad had just opened. It was huge inside.
“Pretty, isn’t it?” my father asked me.
“Beautiful,” I replied, amazed. My dad let out a little chuckle and wrapped his left arm around me, then squeezed me.
“Go look through it kiddo. It’s all ours.”
A huge smiled suddenly spread across my face and then I dashed to the right of the house then reveling the kitchen. Everything in there was brand spanking new. New counter tops, tile, and cabinets. I could tell by the smell. I don’t know how I could tell, but I did. Then I walked through a door, exposing the living room. The couches had already been placed in there. All that was left to put in there were any decorations and the TV. Then, to the left was a pool table. To the right of that was another room and…Oh my holy cow! A movie theater! How exciting, right? Every eight year old girls dream. Then I walked back to the front of the house and ran up the stairs. I got to choose any room on the right of the house, I was told. So, I choose the first room my eyes laid on. I stepped inside it. The walls were painted white with teal polka dots. An old bed frame was placed there. It was a nice bed frame too. I don’t know why the people who originally lived in this house didn’t take it with them. This is probably something I would have chosen out myself. I looked in the closet, with coat racks hanging in there. Then I looked under the bed to check for any creepy crawlers. I noticed something white under the bed. It looked like it had just been placed there over night. A twisted look formed on my face as I opened up the envelope. I unfolded the paper and began reading it.

Dear little Jay,

I want you to know a few things before you start your journey through life. You’ll be given a series of events that you MUST follow. Today is April 10th, 2001. It is your first day in your brand new home. You’ve explored the house, noticed the theater room, and choose the first room your eyes laid on. As you walked in the room, you noticed the walls were white with teal polka dots. That is my favorite color. What’s yours? The bed frame was mine. Mom and dad picked it out for me a week after we moved in there. Sadie was my best friend. I’m sure she’s yours too. Well, you might be wondering how I know your sisters name and exactly what you did when you arrived here. You’re eight, so there’s really no easy way to explain this to you. I’m not going to say I’m your abandoned sister. I’m not going to say I’m your guardian angel. And I’m especially not going to say I’m a flashback because I’m not. I’m you and you’re me. That’s all there is to it. Some of the things that will happen in your life will be regretted. Trust me, I would know. I want you to have a better life in California then I did and make the best of it so when you catch up to my time, you’ll be a little happier than before. I know exactly how to make that happen so please follow this letter.

I stopped reading the letter for a second. I was so confused. Was she supposed to be an older me? I ran down stairs, completely clueless of what was going on and took the letter straight to Sadie.
“Sadie, come here. You have to read this,” I said eagerly.
She took the letter from me. “What is it?” she asked.
“I don’t know. Just read it,” I said.
She read it, all the ways to the part where I had stopped, then looked at me.
“Did you write this?” she suddenly asked.
“No. I don’t even know how to write that well. I’m only eight Sade.”
“What kind of sick joke is this?”
I shrugged.
“Jay, this is you. This letter is about you.”
I nodded. “I know, but how did she get this, I mean, how did I get this letter to me?”
“I have no idea. Maybe you should keep reading it.”
“Will you read it with me?” I asked.
“Of course,” she agreed.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

This book has 7 comments. Post your own now!

MissDarkCross said...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:28 am
Awh, I finished it. I really loved  the story. <3 Your a good writer! I will read your other stuff to, when I get a chance ;3

julialove94 replied...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:34 am
Thank you a ton :)

MissDarkCross replied...
Your welcome! <3

MissDarkCross said...

I'm on chapter five now, and I will finish it some time tomorrow or something ;p

I wanted to tell you I really, really like this. It reminds me of The time travlers wife.. nd I love that movie <3

It's really good so far, I love it <3!

julialove94 replied...
Aw thank you :) The funniest part is, I'd never even seen the movie or heard about it until someone was like "have you see The Time Travelers Wife?" & I'm like "No, what's it about?" So they told me and I was like wow, sounds like the story I just wrote haha.

MissDarkCross replied...

Your welcome, I will finish reading it sometime tomorrow or so. I barely get on during the week since school though.

Oh ;D How interesting!

julialove94 said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:13 am
The summary to this isn't supposed to say "re-do her past, as well as her parents" it's supposed to say "re-do her past, we well as her present." Grammar mistake :/