My New Life

Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves somewhere else and hates her new life, the story is based on her making fun of her neighbor's different ways. The plot of my story has nothing to do with the show, but the idea did come to me from that show.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Returning back to life as usual

That was the funnies part of my journey in La Jolla. The next part was just heartbreaking, but not at first. At first, it was the most amazing thing in the world that had ever happened to me.
The phone rang down stairs; my dad picked it up, said a few fragments, and called me down the stairs. He had a smile to wide on his face that Wyoming could have probably seen it, if the new owner was looking at the perfect angle out of the window in his office, the one that was cracked, he could have
Carly!
seen my dad smiling.
“Carly is out of the hospital.” He started crying because he was so happy, Carly was my mom’s real name, and he only used it when it was something serious or happy to be talked about.
“Finally, where is she going now?” I asked this in a way that I hoped I knew the answer to, but I didn’t. I still sounded excited when I said the words though.
“Home,” I didn’t know if this meant Wyoming home or here home, so I just stood there with a blank expression
“Here.” I smiled so wide in those next few hours that I don’t think anything else really could have possibly smiled more than me, I smiled like sugar.

Grayson texted me asking if I wanted to meet up at the park again, I responded with a confirmation that I would meet him there, I was going to tell him about my mother.
He was sitting in the grass, smiling when I walked up to him, he had brought me a turkey sandwich and cookies, and he sipped on his Coca Cola.
“Hey, I have some food for you, thought you might be hungry.” He stood up and shrugged off the leaves and grass that had been on him to give me a hug.
“I have something to tell you,”
“Oh no, you aren’t pregnant are you?”
“That’s impossible, how can a virgin be pregnant?’
“Oh, never mind. What was it you were going to tell me?” He stood there, with his serious I’m listening face and waited for me to say it.
“You know how you have never met my mother?”
“Did she die?” He said this in a sad voice
“No, but there is a reason why I haven’t seen her since I was five,” I looked down at my hands
“Sit next to me and tell me,” he patted the blanket next to him after he sat down and said this in an offering voice, one that said I can cheer you up. I sat down next to him and told him, the entire time he was listening, he looked surprised, and when I was done saying everything, he told me that he couldn’t wait to see me, he also reached his arm around mine and kissed me on the cheek, “It’s going to be okay.” He said this in a comforting voice.
We ate the rest of the meal giggling about silly things around the park and we played the salt and sugar game. We spotted two young children playing on a see-saw and one fell off and began to cry because the one on the other end went down up too fast and crushed the pool child’s feet, so when the see-saw on his side went up again, he fell off in pain. I asked Grayson if we should go over and help him, but soon enough, the parents rushed over to help him, the child on the other end was secretly a salt but on the outside, a sugar. That day was when I realized that not all people are pure salt or pure sugar, some can be a mix, which can cause you to be reeled in by their “kindness,” but one second you feel that you can trust them enough to tell them something that you don’t want anyone else to know about, they will betray you, and they can betray you whenever they feel like it. The whole thing is that only salts have the capacity of evil to let the feeling of guiltiness just pass by as a small side effect. On the other hand, sugars cannot go through it without apologizing and at times, creating their own embarrassment as an apology to what they have done wrong.
Grayson always said I was a sugar, inside and out, and I did not want to copy what he had said to me, so I just repeated it in the most different way I could think of, “You are sweet like sugar too,” and that seemed to put a smile on his face and make him reach over to kiss me on the cheek.
Soon enough, I was introduced to Grayson’s new girlfriend, at first, I was incredibly jealous, and I tried to hide it, which meant that I still liked him to some extent, but later on I found that she actually was becoming my best friend. And, soon enough, I was invited to almost every date Grayson and her went on, and we were so incredibly close to each other that I felt as if I could tell her anything, the thing that made me start to become jealous of her was the fact that Grayson never called her a sugar, anything but sugar was what he called her, because sugar was our deal. One day, Grayson broke up with her because he said she was “secretly a salt underneath” and he asked me out again.
When he asked me out for the second time in the years I had known him, I asked him honestly if the only reason he wanted to go out with me was to forget her, and to get over her. He told me that every time he looked into her eyes, she reminded him of me, and he could never call her sugar because he missed me too much. So, of course, I said yes because I also did secretly like him again.
It was the same as before, except for he didn’t hesitate as much to kiss me on the cheek, and he kissed me on the lips more often, and he called me sugar again. It felt right to be with him, because I didn’t want to be with anyone else but him.
When his ex-girlfriend and my best friend found out that we were together again, she became really mad and said we were no longer friends. I just shrugged, because being with him was the best feeling in the world compared to being with that girl, she was just a friend, but he made me feel on top of the world, and nothing else but that.

When I got home the very next day, I asked my dad when Carly would be coming home, he told me in about a month, because they had to keep her under surveillance cameras to make completely sure that she was ready to come back so, only one more month to go.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

zadiekatie23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, this looks like a cool book! When I get a chance, I'll try to read it. I love the cover!!! :)

RunningFree said...
Please comment on this, I need a link back to the story and then I'll read some more, haha, yeah, bye.

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm :
i would really appreciate it if you would read my work, it would mean the world to me. Even if it's only the summary. Thanks :)

savetheplanet said...
It's a good storyline, and I really like it.  But nothing happens really in your story, and it doesn't feel resolved at the end.  I mean you have an ending but it happened so abruptly it didn't feel right.  But your story has so much potential!  Keep writing! :D

I.Just.Wanna.Be.Me.Lovee replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm :
It looks so good!

SN3RD replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
Besides for the few grammar mistakes, it looks good. Want to return the favor and check me out? I wrote Hunter's Point and Perspective

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm :
Thanks! Yes, I know I really do need to work on my grammar. That's the ONLY part I dislike about writing, and writer's block.... hopefully I willl grow out of that stage and enjoy editing just at much as writing.

GhrenqiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
to me, editing is a part of writing, it's the final step to making your work a masterpiece. It is an essential part that if you don't do, will make the work look like slop.