My New Life

Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves somewhere else and hates her new life, the story is based on her making fun of her neighbor's different ways. The plot of my story has nothing to do with the show, but the idea did come to me from that show.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Salt or Sugar?

Walking into school the next day, I tried to figure out who was the salt and who was the sugar. Someone held open the door for me as I walked into the science room of Mr. Humphrey; it was a boy my age named Grayson. I caught up with him after class, not to bring back the small memory of him opening the door for me and smiling, but to bring back the smile of the time, the sugar.
“Oh hey, I’m Grayson, I can see you are the new girl huh?” He opened his locker with his pin and smiled as
Salt and Sugar Mix
he did so,
“Yes, I’m Ashley, just moved here from Wyoming.” That was the first time I had ever missed Wyoming, missed walking into the large toothpaste factory that my father had once owned, missed smelling the freshness, missed watching the blue-green goo come from the machines, missed the sounds.
“Wyoming, it’s a small world down there, very-“
“Poor, I know, but we were the higher end of it, which explains why we are here now.” I said this looking at him eye to eye, closely.
“Right, well, welcome La Jolla.” He said this with a sweet smile, I couldn’t tell if I was actually starting to like him or not. He had blonde hair that was like Justin Bieber’s, but not the hair that made him famous, the hair that he had after that, and the shorter hair. He had bright blue eyes that were to die for, he was a gentleman, and I was pretty sure he was single.
I sort of day dreamed about him that day I have to say, with his bright blue eyes and adorable blonde hair, I didn’t pay much attention to his outfit, I was just stoked that some guy was actually man enough to come up and talk to me. Well, I kind of talked to him, but still.
The next day at school, I searched for him, when I found him, I came up behind him and “scared him” by putting my hands on his smooth face from behind and saying,
“Guess who?” I didn’t want to sound like I had been moving too fast with the relationship but he completely did something different, in fact, after he turned around, guessed Ashley and smiled, we had three seconds of eye contact, and that was when I knew, he just had to like me back.
We walked to Mr. Humphrey’s class again and he opened the door for me like a gentleman, I sat down in my chair and became amused once again by his beard. But this is the boring part of my time with Grayson; let me tell you what happened.
When we got out of science class, he walked me to my locker and we talked, and we had enough eye contact again that I thought we were going to kiss, but then I realized that I had just met him yesterday and to take things slowly.
He asked for my phone number the next day, and we texted for about an hour straight, I learned that he loves gummy bears, chocolate, and sugar, he has only had three girlfriends in the past, like me (except mine were called boyfriends) and that he loves music. He was not obsessed with music, he just loved listening to music, like I did, when I asked him if he liked salt, he smiled and said,
“How could I not?”
After I had known him for about a month, he asked me out, and on our first date we went to a Chinese restraunt named “P.F. Chan’s” At least it sounded something like that, he walked me in and we sat down at a booth across from each other. He was really sweet and we talked for three hours just sitting across from each other, he asked me out four days later again, and soon enough, he was considered my boyfriend, my fourth boyfriend.
He helped me with all of my homework, showed me around town, and we were like inseparable best friends, except for the fact that we were in love with each other. We didn’t do any of the nasty stuff on TV like lose our virginity to a guy in a truck after you have known him for a month and a half, no; we just took it steady and slowly.
Anyways, my love life was really working out, and it was all because of the sugar, I then had to find out who was the salt, because if I didn’t find out, it would cause me a lot of trouble in the future. I caught two blondes dumping a poor nerd down a trash can, those were the salt, and the poor nerd was the sugar. When I explained this to Grayson, he smiled, kissed me on the cheek, and then we both made up a past time game where we would find out which people were who. When Grayson called me sugar one day, it meant a lot more than just “babe,” it meant that I was a beautiful white grain of sweetness that would forever be remembered in his life. Can you see why I loved him so much now?
While I was sleeping, I heard a loud noise coming from my window, a loud pounding noise, then I realized it was a rock, someone was throwing rocks at my window, when I looked down, I saw Grayson, smiling wide as ever, handsome as ever, amazing as ever, and he told me to come down. I did. We walked to the park nearby and he told me that he loved me, I was his sugar and when he said that, I looked down at the ground and smiled. He kissed me on the cheek and then we pulled me up and asked me if I wanted to jump in the pool with him, it was against the park rules, not because it was dirty, but because it closed at about nine o’clock every night.
I jumped in and Grayson followed, and we both went underwater and smiled at each other, when we got up for air, things fell perfectly together and I kissed him. He walked me home after words, and that was when I knew that I could trust him, not with my virginity, o dear no, but with my heart, I knew he wasn’t going to break it any time soon and I could fall for him.
The next day at school he picked me up and gave me a huge hug after kissing me on the cheek. We walked to science together and then I walked to my history class. This whole relationship went on for about six more months, I did not lose my virginity to him, and no, I did not do anything that I regret doing with him. We split not because we didn’t like each other, but because we weren’t really in love anymore, and it wasn’t really a split either, we just weren’t kissing anymore, but he was one of my best friends. Occasionally, he would give me a friendly kiss on the cheek, but for my new home, that was the only relationship I got.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, this looks like a cool book! When I get a chance, I'll try to read it. I love the cover!!! :)

RunningFree said...
Please comment on this, I need a link back to the story and then I'll read some more, haha, yeah, bye.

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm :
i would really appreciate it if you would read my work, it would mean the world to me. Even if it's only the summary. Thanks :)

savetheplanet said...
It's a good storyline, and I really like it.  But nothing happens really in your story, and it doesn't feel resolved at the end.  I mean you have an ending but it happened so abruptly it didn't feel right.  But your story has so much potential!  Keep writing! :D

I.Just.Wanna.Be.Me.Lovee replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm :
It looks so good!

SN3RD replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
Besides for the few grammar mistakes, it looks good. Want to return the favor and check me out? I wrote Hunter's Point and Perspective

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm :
Thanks! Yes, I know I really do need to work on my grammar. That's the ONLY part I dislike about writing, and writer's block.... hopefully I willl grow out of that stage and enjoy editing just at much as writing.

Ghrenqi replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
to me, editing is a part of writing, it's the final step to making your work a masterpiece. It is an essential part that if you don't do, will make the work look like slop.