The Healing

Author's note: This isn't the complete book, but I am too excited to wait until it's done to submit it! Be prepared, it's intense.
Author's note: This isn't the complete book, but I am too excited to wait until it's done to submit it! Be prepared, it's intense.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Next »

All is well

I stayed up late enough one night to catch my mom between phone calls and emails. I told her that I was going to New York and that I would have a chaperone and it was all good. She, surprisingly, said sure.
We met our manager, he was pretty cool. He told us that we were going to leave “ASAP” those exact words; I think you could call that words. I was packing the night before we left, go figure, I never packed before then for anything. Now that I think about it: that is totally true. Every camp that I have ever been to, Grandma’s funeral, cousin Linzy’s wedding, long drive to Georgia to pick up mom (Todd never told me how she got there), our trip to Canada last summer. Anything.

The band met up at the airport. We all went to Starbucks and they called me a sissy for getting froo-froo coffee, but I said I was a girl, I was allowed to be a sissy.
We got on the plane and I sat next to Kirby.
“I’ve never flown on a plane before.” He said matter-of-factly.
“Really?”
“Yep.”
“It’s cool, I guess. I’m glad you got the window seat, those are the best.”
“Why?” He asked.
“I don’t know, you can see everything?” I shrugged.
We sat in silence for a while; I read the magazine I got at a kiosk.
“Are you excited?” He asked my after I put down my “Style” magazine.
“Yeah. I’ve never been to New York City, so that’ll be fun, but I don’t think its really sunk in… you know?”
“Yeah totally. Like, we might me rock stars? It feels so… weird.”
“I know! But I’m excited. It’s nice to get away from California, and home and all that.” I sigh.
“I know what you mean.” It felt like he wanted to leave home more than I did, and I wanted to leave like no tomorrow. I don’t know why, but I find myself saying: “I’m sorry.” And putting my hand on his.
“Why should you be?” He looks at me with a mixture of offence, gratefulness, and hurt.
“I don’t really know. I just… I don’t know, forget it.” I stare out the other window.
“No it’s okay. I… want to talk about it.” He holds my hand, in a kind of romantic way, and for some reason I don’t have a panic attack. I almost like it. I guess being healthy is growing on me. “Just not here, okay?” He gives my hand a squeeze.
“Okay.” I smile a little. I almost want to tell him about HIM, but then I think I don’t ever want to tell anybody anything, and then I almost blurt it out right there. I’m a nutcase.

Transformers starts after we reach maximum altitude, and Kirby and I both bought headphones. He still hadn’t let go of my hand and I don’t mind, after a while I totally forget about it. I’m astonished with myself.
When we touch down in LaGuardia we get a call from our manager. Adam answers it and puts it on speakerphone. “There’s a limo waiting for you to take you to your hotel. I’ll see you tomorrow morning 9AM.” Dial tone. We look at each other with wide eyes. Lance shrugs and starts off to baggage claim we all follow.
By far, I have the most luggage, Kirby (who packed less than nothing) had to help me carry it all to the limo. He looked pretty ridiculous with my pink carry-on bag over his shoulder.

We all got settled in our rooms, I had a separate suite. It wasn’t until 11 that we all got unpacked but nobody was tired so we took the subway to Times Square and went everywhere! They call NYC the city that never sleeps, well, they’re so right! It was 2AM and none of the shops were closed and all of them were still crowded. We grab a pizza and head back to the room. We joke around and have such a good time I forget about HIM or California or anything about my old life. New York is my new beginning.
A week later we had recorded our record. School wasn’t supposed to start for another couple weeks so we decided to stay in NY for a few more days. It was all so much fun until 3 days before we left…