The Edge

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next »

Prologue

To Charmayne; the best skating
instructor EVER!
Thanks for all of your tips, incredible
personality, and patience!

I first met Claire Morano when I was three; that was the year that we both stepped onto the ice for the first time. The skating rink had looked so huge then—the music so loud, the lights so bright, the skaters in their sparkly outfits so graceful and in control. My mom held my hand while I stumbled along and tried to keep my footing; Claire had already let go of her mother’s hand, and was trying to move on her own, even though it was only about an inch away from the wall. Since that very moment, we’d always been best friends, and we did basically everything together, although she always seemed to be a step ahead of me.
That’s when I remember first feeling a little spark somewhere—it wasn’t a good one, either, and I knew it; but it almost felt good—like a tiny fire inside me; although it could burn, it kept me going. It was one of those thoughts that starts small, and over time gets rolled and rolled, until it’s one big fireball of anger and jealousy. Sometimes I tried to dash water on it, but the little water that was inside just made the fire flicker a little bit, before regaining its original enthusiasm. For years I kept all of my feelings inside me; and little did I know, I could have stopped feeding the flames if only I hadn’t.
I knew that I could skate—that’s why I kept doing it—but it seemed like I could never live up to what Claire could do.
She was everything that you would want in a daughter, and in a friend—she listened when there was something wrong, and never just dismissed a problem and dealt with it only when it came back to haunt her—Claire knew what was right, and stuck to it. There was no road in the middle with her—she either took the road on the right, or the road on the left, and in school she was the same way. She got excellent grades, and everybody liked her; I noticed that whenever someone spoke to Claire, you could hear their change of tone vs. when they talked to someone else—she got more respect—and I mean, she did deserve it.
But sometimes I felt like my parents would rather have her as a daughter than me.
By our very first skating lesson, she was already tentatively attempting to skate backwards. At the time I was a pretty good forward skater for my age although I couldn’t go backwards—but Claire was better. When our instructor, Lisa, suggested that we take private lessons, she became Claire’s coach, and I met Christie. But that was only the very beginning. The day I let go of my mom’s hand and tripped over my toe pick, I had no idea that one day my little white skates would take me to a much bigger world, and change my life altogether.
~
“Are you ok, honey?” my mom asked, poking her head into my room.
I sat at my desk, holding a purple gel pen (my personal favorite), and staring absently at the first page of a new notebook that I had purchased the day before. I opened a desk drawer and pretended to be looking for something, not wanting to face my mom.
“Mhm.” I replied.
“Does your leg still hurt? You’ve been quiet lately.”
“My leg is fine, mom.” She came over and sat down on a bean bag chair next to me.
“Is everything alright, then?” I didn’t answer. “Honey, I know that this hasn’t been the easiest season for you, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t skate anymore—I think you should try it again, and things might lighten up a little.”
I sighed. “But mom, Claire just gave away something that she really deserved—she worked so hard with Lisa on that routine.”
“Victoria, she did it because she cared about you, and she knew that you deserved it just as much as she did. It’s not always winning or losing that makes the difference.”
I didn’t speak, because I didn’t trust my voice. Instead, I gazed out the window and wondered if Claire was already at the rink again.
When my eyes focused again on the window itself, I noticed a ladybug crawling up the side. No, wait—there was another one—and another—and another! I blinked, and saw that my entire window had ladybugs all over it. Crawling this way and that, up and down, left and right, it was as if they had a whole little dance routine going; or maybe they were just going about their daily business, but did it in a more organized way than we did. They seemed to move with more harmony, although they occasionally bumped into each other; but maybe that was just a ladybug’s way of saying hello. I decided not to do anything about them—after all, I kind of liked having ladybugs saying hi to me from the window—they were cute. I turned back to my mom. “Maybe,” I said.
“Do you want to talk about anything that happened?” she asked. I sighed. “I think you said something about a medal?”
“No,” I replied. “That was definitely not where it started.”
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

AddyE.Z.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 16, 2016 at 9:09 am
Hey, this story is AWESOME! I love it. You might want to make the epilogue a bit clearer, though. Can you offer critism on my story "Family Relations" (Part One)? Here's a link: TeenInk.com/novels/sci_fi_fantasy/book/169501/Family-Relations-Part-One/