You and I

Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't talk about his or her issue regarding this topic. Whether they are currently harboring these bittersweet secrets or not, it's a topic that people can relate to.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Summer's End

Mid of August strolled in. In the mail, we had all gotten letters and schedules. We were given what classes we had, and who our teachers would be, and when we would have those classes. It was a rather jittery time for all of us. It was full of emotion. Would we be in the same classes? Would we have teachers who could actually teach?
In that week, it was all about the usual ritual. Constantly checking emails and our cells. It was call after call, message after message. I was lucky enough to have the majority of my friends to end up as my peers for our second year in high school.
The schedule in my hands for the twentieth time, he called. And like a crazy person, I stared at my phone. I just stared at it, while it vibrated and wiggled on my desk. Unbelievable. He was calling me after about two months or so. Then again, I hadn’t called him anytime either.
“Hey!” I sounded rather too enthusiastic.
“Hey, I haven’t talked to you in so long.”
“Well people get busy during the summer. Family stuff…and stuff.”
“Yeah. Oh my goodness! Read me your schedule!”
“Yeah okay.”
I had about 32 credits out of the recommended 30. It took me forever to read it. Because with each class, I could picture him going through his schedule and shaking his head.
“Well..?”
“Well we don’t have all our classes together.”
“Well isn’t that a bit obvious?”
“But…we have math, science and gym together!” That was good enough for me. That was more than good enough for me. That was superb for me! That was splendid for me! So there was some hope.
“This is great!”
“Yeah! It really is. I’m so glad we have more classes together than last year.”
“Yeah me too.” He laughed.
“When we’re in a class together, it always makes the class more fun. But I have to say, we do add influential ideas into the discussions.”
“Yes, that we do indeed.” I laughed. He laughed.
“So how was your summer?”
“Eh, not too bad. It was actually great.”
“Oh really now?”
“Yeah.”
“What you do?”
“Went here and there.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah, how about you?”
“Me? Um…I went here and there too. Finished up all that summer work though.”
“I still haven’t finished.”
“Well you should.”
“Geez, you sound like my mother.”
“I’ve heard that before.”
After that we talked nearly every single day. It was all really school related. More like me helping him out with the summer work. We ended up playing a few more rounds of that would you rather game before the last day of summer finally arrived.
The last evening of summer was picture perfect. The dragonflies were buzzing everywhere. The sky had become a lush blend of orange and hot pink and royal blue. The sun was diving behind my neighbor’s house. I was out playing badmitton with family friends. Then my pocket started going insane. It was my phone. It was him.
“What are you wearing tomorrow?”
“Well, I did get a couple of new t-shirts and one plaid shirt. So I might mix and match between those. But still wearing jeans.”
“You always wear jeans.”
“I love em.”
“Well I don’t know what to wear tomorrow.”
“Dude, you sound like a girl.”
“Hey, a very manly guy like myself can worry about first day of school clothes too, you know.”
“Well you have been worrying about that kind of stuff since forever.”
“Are you excited?”
“Of course. Sophomore year. No more being called a frosh.”
“Nobody ever called me a frosh. I deceived them.”
“Well, aren’t you lucky. Did you finish all your summer work?”
“Every bit of it. Just this afternoon.”
“That took you a long time.”
“I like to take my time, thank you very much.”
“Alright.”
“Can’t believe we’re starting another year of highschool.”
“Yeah, I know, it’s exciting.”
“I wonder what new adventures we might go through next.”
“If you mean love…then I’m not going through any of it.”
“By the way, have you wondered what might have become of us?”
“Well here we are, you and me, on the phone. It’s as good as it gets.” I couldn’t understand. I wanted to tell him. Yes, I have thought about it. In fact I spent my entire summer thinking about it. Where was my serious tone? What on earth?
“I guess so. Well. I hope you wear something blue tomorrow. We can coordinate.”
“See ya tomorrow!”
“Bye!”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

LehaAngel said...
Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 am:
I love the was the way the story flows and the mix of things.its realistic and even though it seems very common I think of it as traditional and there are elements brought out in the book that are definitive refreshing

disney000 said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm:
I really liked how the beginning flowed with the way that the character was thinking. It really felt real and I'm sure we all can relate to the topic of the book.

leekay said...
Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:28 am:
felt very real, as if i was among someone's inner, personal thoughts.

SonjaRenaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really Nice!!! A mix of things that kept me on edge! I loved it :D It would be great if you could check out my work! Any comments or ratings would be very appreciated!!

LBKTD replied...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm :
yeah very suspenseful

samirababy said...
loving it!

applejax replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm :
i agree definitely

razorbeam300 said...
I read it and I like it. The dialogue in the phone call was a little confusing, but it was still understandable and felt like a real conversation. I liked this story over all, it felt like I was reading someone's journal and that was cool.

ani70 replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm :
haha thank you for your comment! yes, in my recent story, I have definitely worked on the dialogue. can't wait to post my new story. but yeah. thank you!

razorbeam300 said...

RoxSarah said...
pretty good!

ani70 replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm :
thank you!

JimmyS456 said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:47 am:
nice job! keep it up

ani70 replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
thanks I will definitely do that

emily said...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:05 am:
really good i like the ending

ani70 replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:32 am :
glad to know! thank you!

abk_khn said...
good stuff!

ani70 replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm :
thank you!

kiwiiiiii said...
nice story!!!!! write more plz

ani70 replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:26 am :
thanks! i most defninitely will.