The Dating Department

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33 Next »

9. Amber Rules

“Charles did what?” Amber gasped, putting a manicured hand over her lip-sticked mouth.
“He said, and I quote: 'You think I'm going to sit here and go through a test for you? As if. You're not worth it.' “ I replied, sitting down on Danny's fluffy, blue, papasan chair.
“No!” Amber breathed, eyes wide.
“Eh, he was a dweeb anyway.” I shrugged and sank down further into the cooshiness of the chair, wanting this conversation to be over.
“If it's any consolation, I think he was an idiot.” Roy offered from his perch on Danny's desk.
“Thanks, Roy.” I smiled at him, and I could have sworn that he blushed.
“So what are you going to do now?” Amber quizzed, settling down cross-legged on the bed, next to Danny.
“I dunno, just date Paul and Aiden?”
“You can't do that!” Amber protested, leaping up from her position and landing on her toes like a cat.
“...why not?”
“That would make it way too easy, you obviously like Aiden”--I blushed a deep scarlet--”better than Paul, so we need to bring another guy into the picture. Someone who could rival Aiden and take Charles' place.” She tapped her chin thoughtfully before looking slyly over at me. “Show me your forearm.”
“What? No!” I clutched my arm to my front, and curled up into the fetal position.
Did that stop Amber?
Of course not.
She leaped at me, eyes wild and wide, and clawed at my arm, pulling at it until I finally let go of it with my other arm. She crowed triumphantly, and Danny, Roy, and I all stared at her.
“You know, sometimes, you're weirder than all the rest of us.” Danny commented, slowly rising and walking over to us to examine my arm.
“Who gave you this number?” Amber demanded, eyes quickly scanning over the digits.
“Uh, some guy named Levi, why?”
“Call him.”
“Er...why?”
“Call him.”
“But--”
Amber came dangerously close to me, so that it looked like her two eyes were melded into one.
“Call. Him. Now.”
“Someone drank crazy juice for breakfast this morning,” I muttered, pulling out my phone and punching in Levi's number.
I put the phone to my ear, but Amber wrenched it away and put it on speaker.
Ring... Ring... Ring... Ring...
“Hello?”
“Levi?”
“Er, yeah, whozzis?” He sounded groggy, as if I had just woken him up.
“Sharkbait.” As I said this, everyone's eyebrows shot up questioningly.
“No way! Seriously?”
“No, I'm actually Big Bird, yes Dumbo, it's Riley.”
“Oh, so now I'm Dumbo?”
“Got a problem with that?” I challenged, as flirtatiously as possible.
“Nah. What's up?”
“You know how you said to call if I ever got tired of Narcissus to call you.” I shrugged even though he couldn't see me.
“Who the heck is Narcissus?” Amber hissed at me over the phone.
“Am I on speaker?”
“Uh...no?”
He chuckled and I could just imagine him shaking his blond head. “So you got tired of pretty-boy?”
“Not exactly...”
“Then why are you calling me?”
“It would be easier to show you...”
“Uh, okay? “
“Will you meet me at...” I paused and looked at the paper Amber was holding much to close to my face. “Mable's March?” I hit the paper down. “What the heck is Mable's March?”I whispered.
“That little park downtown?”
“Uh, yeah. That one.”
“Okaty, what time?”
“In an hour?”
“Sounds good, I'll be there.”
“Great... I'll see ya then?”
“It's a date.”
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Roy twitch slightly. For a moment I was confused, but then I saw Danny pulling at the hair at the back of his neck.
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
The line went dead, and I put my phone back into my pocket.
“Happy now?”
“Oh yes, immensely so.” Amber grinned.
“Why is it that I always seem to do what you say to?”
“Because I rule, babe. Because I rule."

RaisaMiri said...
I wish this was an actual book with a cover and everything so that I could hold it in my hands instead of looking at it on the computer :/ it was that good! :) and i will agree with one of the comments below...not to be a spoiler, but darn it Roy seemed adorable! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
I loved the novel it's amazing and beautiful. You're an amazing writer.

Zuccini75 said...

AWWWW! Very talented work.... but I sooo thought it would be Roy.... so sad - anyway,

The suspense was perfect and your characters were strong - good job!

Forever wishing said...
This is one of the best and sweetest stories I have read in a while! It made me want to keep reading, and maybe give love a shot!;) It was AMAZING! Keep writing!

K.Girl said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm:
I don't know how you get your ideas, but im glad you thought of this one. The ending is beautiful. It gives me hope. Thank You! and Great Job

CrazyWriter said...
I knew it!!!!!Aiden would be the one .....he's just too adorable.i love how you ended your story this way. You kept the suspense building by not giving the name of who she chose for the almost last possible second. Also your writing style was perfectly suited for this genera (?). It's fast but slow and keeps you up beat with out going over the speed limit I give thumbs up to you PulseExplosion for craftily finishing a teen age story that had a touch of 'coming of age'. Hope to see more great re... (more »)

MissSkyscraper said...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 12:10 am:
That's a really good book! :)

IMunloved said...
Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:53 am:
OMG i love it it was a amazing!!!

PulseExplosion replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

elephantshoes said...
Write more please!!!!! Riley needs to choose Aiden. it's no competion! It was on of the best stories I have ever read. I've been reading it since school got out at 3:)

PulseExplosion replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm :
Haha, I just finished uploading the final chapters, and they should be approved within the next week! :D

LifesIllusion replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm :
I just read the final chapters and I couldn't love the ending more then I already do!!!! You did a great job with this story. Definitly the very best novel I have read on TeenInk. :)

autumndisaster said...
Sept. 26, 2011 at 10:53 am:

Okay I absolutely loved this.

It made me feel quite lonely though, haha. :)

PulseExplosion replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm :
I'm so glad that you have enjoyed it thus far!(:

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:48 am:
I WANT A COTTON CANDY KISS.

PulseExplosion replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:51 am :

IKR? XD

That's what everyone has said on Wattpad. :P

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:44 am:

This is a message from Amber: WRITE MORE, OR I WILL NEVER PAY FOR YOUR PIZZA AGAIN.

p.s. wow, coincidence! I have a strong-willed character in my story called Amber, too! I guess the name just fits with that sort of personality.

PulseExplosion replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:51 am :
Lol. Yeah, I guess it does. CX

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:58 am:
I love it! only you keep switching between present and past tense, so gramatically, it doesn't make sense.

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:59 am :
Scratch that. I was responding to the wrong story (sorry). But still, LOVE IT!