The Dating Department

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 31 32 33

Epilogue: For the Better

I place a hand over my swollen stomach as another kick flutters across its surface.

“He’s getting restless,” I say, smiling up at my husband. “He’s ready to meet us.”

For a brief second I’m back at our wedding, saying my vows.

“Do you, Riley Jane Noble, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? Will you love him, comfort and keep him, forsake all others and remain true to him as long as you both shall live?”

I didn’t want to be the cliché bride, giggling like a maniac on her wedding day, but I couldn’t stop the happy sound from bubbling from my lips. “I will.”

“Then, by the power vested in me by the state of Florida, I do pronounce you both man and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

That had been the happiest moment of my life, and I was about to experience the next: the birth of our first child.

“Well, I’m ready to meet him,” Aiden says, planting a kiss on the top of my head. “I’ve waited 38 weeks to meet Anthony, and I’m getting impatient.”

“Calm down, Aiden,” Amber scolds, her own pregnant stomach bulging from beneath her maternity clothes. She’s 29 weeks along, and couldn’t be happier. “The boy will come when he’s ready.”

Her own husband stands behind her, tall, dark, and handsome. They had met in college, fallen in love, and married two years later.

How Aiden and I managed to survive our last year of high-school and all four years of college I will never know. We attended different high-schools, but applied to the same colleges. We had our little spats along the way, as all couples do, but somehow we managed to stay firm through it. If anything, or fights made us stronger, as sappy and cliché as that sounds.

He proposed to me in front of the building we had first met at.

“Riley?” He asked, and I turned to face him.

“Yeah?”

Suddenly, my legs were flying out from under me, and I was falling. I landed in strong arms.

“Now, that I’ve finally learned to catch you…” Aiden set me securely back on my feet and knelt on one knee.

My eyes widened and my heart started beating fast—too fast it almost seemed.

“Will you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Obviously, I said yes.

The Dating Department didn’t last any longer than that summer, but that didn’t matter to any of us, I don’t think. A few months after I chose Aiden, Roy asked out a girl at his college, they’re now married and raising two children just as beautiful as their parents.

Danny and Dominique broke up after highschool, as of now, Danny is still a single 20 year old, working in college to get her degree in nursing. I think she’s happy.

Levi? Well, we tried friendship, and it worked better than expected. He attended an out of state college, but we still manage to keep in touch. He’s coming out in a few weeks with his fiancé, a beautiful young woman named Megan Holmes--soon to be Megan Evans-- to get married here in Florida and meet Anthony, who is to be their god-son.

Paul eventually got the nerve up to ask Delaney out. She immediately accepted. Though at first her parents didn’t approve, the relationship worked out. They are currently honeymooning in Waikiki.

“What are you thinking about, babe?” Aiden asks, breaking me out of my reverie.

I shrug, “Nothing much.”

“You’re still a horrible liar,” he laughs, wheeling me along the hospital corridors to one of the birthing rooms, nurses and doctor leading the way.

“I was thinking about how that one summer changed everything,” I admit, and he smiles at me.

“For better or for worse?”

I sigh and hoist myself up onto the bed, sinking back onto the pillows before the real work begins. I look at my handsome husband and the answer is clear. Gently, I place a hand on my pregnant tummy and smile, “For the better. Definitely for the better.”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 31 32 33

RaisaMiri said...
I wish this was an actual book with a cover and everything so that I could hold it in my hands instead of looking at it on the computer :/ it was that good! :) and i will agree with one of the comments below...not to be a spoiler, but darn it Roy seemed adorable! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
I loved the novel it's amazing and beautiful. You're an amazing writer.

Zuccini75 said...

AWWWW! Very talented work.... but I sooo thought it would be Roy.... so sad - anyway,

The suspense was perfect and your characters were strong - good job!

Forever wishing said...
This is one of the best and sweetest stories I have read in a while! It made me want to keep reading, and maybe give love a shot!;) It was AMAZING! Keep writing!

K.Girl said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm:
I don't know how you get your ideas, but im glad you thought of this one. The ending is beautiful. It gives me hope. Thank You! and Great Job

CrazyWriter said...
I knew it!!!!!Aiden would be the one .....he's just too adorable.i love how you ended your story this way. You kept the suspense building by not giving the name of who she chose for the almost last possible second. Also your writing style was perfectly suited for this genera (?). It's fast but slow and keeps you up beat with out going over the speed limit I give thumbs up to you PulseExplosion for craftily finishing a teen age story that had a touch of 'coming of age'. Hope to see more great re... (more »)

MissSkyscraper said...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 12:10 am:
That's a really good book! :)

IMunloved said...
Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:53 am:
OMG i love it it was a amazing!!!

PulseExplosion replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

elephantshoes said...
Write more please!!!!! Riley needs to choose Aiden. it's no competion! It was on of the best stories I have ever read. I've been reading it since school got out at 3:)

PulseExplosion replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm :
Haha, I just finished uploading the final chapters, and they should be approved within the next week! :D

LifesIllusion replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm :
I just read the final chapters and I couldn't love the ending more then I already do!!!! You did a great job with this story. Definitly the very best novel I have read on TeenInk. :)

autumndisaster said...
Sept. 26, 2011 at 10:53 am:

Okay I absolutely loved this.

It made me feel quite lonely though, haha. :)

PulseExplosion replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm :
I'm so glad that you have enjoyed it thus far!(:

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:48 am:
I WANT A COTTON CANDY KISS.

PulseExplosion replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:51 am :

IKR? XD

That's what everyone has said on Wattpad. :P

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:44 am:

This is a message from Amber: WRITE MORE, OR I WILL NEVER PAY FOR YOUR PIZZA AGAIN.

p.s. wow, coincidence! I have a strong-willed character in my story called Amber, too! I guess the name just fits with that sort of personality.

PulseExplosion replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:51 am :
Lol. Yeah, I guess it does. CX

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:58 am:
I love it! only you keep switching between present and past tense, so gramatically, it doesn't make sense.

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:59 am :
Scratch that. I was responding to the wrong story (sorry). But still, LOVE IT!