Noderton | Teen Ink

Noderton

April 12, 2011
By elliottch BRONZE, Superior, Montana
More by this author
elliottch BRONZE, Superior, Montana
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

She didn't know why she was wearing high heels. They looked nice, matched her outfit well, but what did it matter? They were going to be the last shoes she ever wore and they weren't even comfortable. They gave her the benefit of choosing her outfit; in hindsight she should have worn a track suit and tennis shoes to at least be comfortable, but instead she was wearing a formal black dress and a pair of black, closed toe, platform pump heels. In fact just realizing this made her toes feel cramped and put the heels of her feet in agony, she tried to think past it, but the thought wouldn't go away. She knew the last feelings going through her would be her pained feet. She should be thinking something profound.
She walked up the rickety steps that were made of wood. Her heels clacked with every step she took, would this be the last sound she heard? Her focus went to her senses. She was cold, she felt a chill to her very core, but that was probably just in her head. It was warm and sunny, not a cloud for miles. She looked up at the oak tree to determine if there was even a breeze, but the branches reached out plain and unprovoked.
Up in the sky she saw a bird soaring east, it made her stomach queasy knowing that in just minutes this bird would be continuing its life and she would not. Perhaps it would be shot down by a hunter; in a way that sort of thing happened to her.
A man grabbed her when she reached the top of the stairs and pushed her toward the long rope that was tied to the oak. He put the noose over her head and pulled it tight against her neck. For the first time she felt scared. Having not been raised with much religion she was afraid of what was coming next.
Her eyes went out to the crowd of men that had gathered. Their faces were stern, unremorseful and unsettling. She closed her eyes and the countdown began. The men, she knew, were probably all looking down at their watches, waiting for the clock to strike 12.
"10 seconds!" a man called out.
She held her breath, which seemed particularly ridiculous. Had she more time, she may have even laughed at herself. 7, she thought, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, she heard a snapping noise and her eyes burst open. Immediately she saw his face, the one face that was different from the rest because it portrayed sorrow, an emotion that was rare for this occasion. Her heart sunk to her stomach. There was no time for goodbye, no time for acknowledgements; just enough time for his face, to be the last she saw. Her feet went out from under her and her body jerked down into another dimension.

It all began in the small town of Noderton which was perched in a very isolated region of Virginia. Noderton was the type of town where everybody knew everybody. The people there were close knit, never straying too far from the town and rarely out of the state. Most of the community was born in Noderton, raised in Noderton, and passed in Noderton. It fit them well. They didn’t need many life skills or much education to get by. The majority of the town was made up of family owned businesses, and small farms. For some people a tedious and comfortable lifestyle was enough.
There was hardly ever any change or upsets, so when the mayor of nearly 15 years, John McKinley, lost the election to a new comer the town was in a sort of awe. The man who took the position of mayor had big plans for the town, and planned on making changes for the worse. This man didn’t believe in the United States as a democracy, he wanted a place of his own that he could dictate and rule without any backlash or revolt. A small town in the middle of nowhere, that didn’t have a lot of education fit his agenda perfectly.
Catherine Bennet hadn't noticed the new occurrences in the town, she was in love, and much like many who are wrapped up in their first love, she was young and naive. Catherine had Tyler, and she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him, nothing else mattered.
Tyler West was about as gentleman and true as any 17 year old boy could be expected to be. Traditionally handsome, he was tall with distinguished features, blonde hair, fair skin and greenish brown eyes that he inherited from his mother. His parents owned a small farm, and Tyler was to take over its management when he turned 18 but ever the rebellious teenager; he wanted to get as far away from Noderton as possible. He was outspoken, opinionated, yet still well natured and kind. Not one to force ideas of his own on anyone, though he was a big influence on Catherine. He wanted to be an artist in the city, which to Catherine's parents meant "he wanted to be a poor, loser with no hope of a future." Catherine, the typical teenager, didn't care what her parents thought.
One especially warm spring day they lay on their backs in the greenest field of Noderton, possibly even the greenest field in Virginia. Sunflowers grew tall here, and bluebirds flew freely and sang them their love songs. There was a large and noble oak tree in the middle of the field, it was the largest oak tree in Noderton, and it was the largest Catherine had ever seen. On hot days Tyler and Catherine would come and sit in the great oaks shade and read plays and poems by Shakespeare. It was "their spot," not many people knew about it so they got plenty of alone time to share secrets and dreams, and kisses.
"I don't care what my parents say Catherine, I'm not staying in Noderton after I graduate," Tyler said staring up to the clear blue sky.
"I don’t graduate for another two years, can’t you wait for me?" Catherine asked.
Tyler rolled on his side so he could look down into her big brown eyes, Catherine could very well have the biggest beautiful brown eyes the heaven's had ever blessed upon anyone.
"I'll get a job, and an apartment in New York City, and when you graduate I will come back for you," Tyler told her, stroking a few stray auburn locks out of her face.
Catherine sat up. "A lot of things can change in two years, Tyler.”
"How much I love you never will," and with that he pressed his warm sweet lips to hers and things were perfect.

It was almost two years after Tyler had graduated and left Noderton that Catherine was at a town meeting and first met Holland Whitmore. Her father had dragged her to it, and she was less than enthusiastic. The meeting was regarding population control within the town.
"Too many people are leaving our beautiful town, this means that our government funding is going down and taxes will have to be raised," the whole room filled with groans as Mayor Whitmore gave his speech."We have to do something to keep our people here,” he continued, “I am proposing that we pass moving laws, perhaps we require a fee to leave Noderton, we could require that the house you put up for sale, be sold before you may leave, at least until we acquire the money we need to make this town better.”
After the meeting concluded, Catherine's father introduced her to the Mayor.
"My, well she is beautiful Henry," Holland Whitmore said to her father while shaking her hand.
Catherine felt uncomfortable but her father gave her an encouraging nod.
"Thank you Mayor Whitmore," Catherine smiled politely.
"And such wonderful manners, please, call me Holland," he said in a deep and sturdy voice.
"Holland," she didn't want to call him that, she wasn't used to speaking to adults so informally. Holland Whitmore was nearly 35 and she had just turned 18 years.
“What do you think of the new moving policies that will be put into action? Our town will, no doubt, prosper greatly.” he smiled arrogantly.
“Not at all, they’re ridiculous, unconstitutional even. The state will never allow it.”
“Catherine!” her father moaned, appalled and squeezing her arm.
“Oh we all have our own opinion Henry,” Holland assured, “but this is my town Catherine, and I don’t need the state’s permission on how I want to run it.”
“That’s not how it works. You can’t be a dictator of the town.”
Holland let out a hefty laugh, “I am the mayor aren’t I?”
“Yes, but you can’t just do what you want.”
“Oh, I can indeed, but I must excuse myself, it was such a pleasure to meet you Catherine.”
When she arrived home that evening she had a letter from Tyler waiting for her. Ever since Tyler had moved to New York City she had gotten monthly letters from him like clockwork. Tyler wrote about his preparations for her arrival, he had bought a coffee maker because he knew of her coffee addiction; he painted brighter beautiful paintings to hang for her. He wrote of his eagerness to see her and to start their life together. Catherine wondered if the town’s new moving laws would put an end to her dream of moving with Tyler and she wrote to him about it.

It was six months after Catherine’s first meeting with Holland Whitmore when her father made her go to lunch with him. He wanted to “get better acquainted with the younger citizens of Noderton," and wanted to spend some time with a nice and spirited young lady.
Catherine didn't want to go; Holland Whitmore was everything she hated, and he knew it, he fed off of it. He began showing up everywhere, at her house for Sunday dinners, her graduation party and numerous other family events. Now they were sitting across a table from each other.
Holland Whitmore had salt and pepper hair, some would say a burly body, and a rather orange complexion. He coughed a smoker's cough, had a deep intimidating voice but was relatively an unkind and suspicious man.
"What are your plans for the future?" Holland asked.
"In November I plan on moving to New York City, with Tyler," she said bluntly.
He coughed into a handkerchief and retired it back to his pocket. "Moving, eh? You are aware of the new policies we have, aren't you?"
"There is a fee, it's only $100," Catherine said.
Holland laughed which forced him to again pull out his handkerchief. This slightly disgusted Catherine and she made a great effort to show it. "My dear Catherine, that was months ago, now you must bring another person to Noderton to take your place, for example, sell your home to a new family and then you are free to leave."
Catherine’s eyes became wide; she was overwhelmed, she was disgusted and overall she was angry, "But my parents don't want to leave Noderton, and I don't have a house to sell."
"Yes, I know. It would be such a shame to lose someone as beautiful as you are, I assure you the town would suffer.”
"I don’t have a job, the town isn’t benefiting from me at all. I’m not paying taxes, why should I have to stay?"
“Because it is law,” his voice lost all of its usual humor.
“And suppose I leave anyway, what would happen then? Would I be fined?” her eyebrow was arched.
“You would be put in jail for breaking the law.”
“How did this all happen? You can’t force people to stay here! It’s not right.”
“I think I will decide what is right and wrong, Catherine, but enough of this, I think another subject should be brought up,” Holland said, his voice returning back to its humorous tone.
“No! There is no way these laws were passed legally,” Catherine stood and looked down on him. People around the restaurant began to rest their wandering eyes on the commotion at their table.
“Sit down,” Holland said forcefully.
“No, I’m out of here,” and she stormed out of the restaurant.
“I like a strong-willed girl,” he said with a laugh to the eavesdroppers, they all laughed and went back to their business.
Holland sat there alone at the table and began making more plans. There was something about this young girl that thoroughly intrigued him. He wanted to make her his own. Holland was not really a man to share or to marry, but rather a man to have ownership and control. The only way he would be able to obtain this, would be to go through her family and more specifically her father.

Catherine’s father Henry Bennett was considered strict and cold. He was a doctor, and not unlike many doctors, he had trouble showing love and compassion after spending long hours with the sick and the elderly. His aspiration in life was not to have a happy and affectionate family but rather to have success and status within Noderton. He was a rather observant man; he noticed Mayor Whitmore’s sudden growth in power, and he also noticed the mayor’s interest in his daughter. A partnership between Catherine and Whitmore would truly bring his family up the hierarchy. Henry knew Catherine would object to a relationship with Holland because of her romance with Tyler. He knew it was time to conclude that part of her life, so he began stealing her letters.
Catherine began shutting herself in the house, everywhere she went she was reminded of Tyler’s absence and Holland Whitmore’s presence. She refused to get a job, go to community gatherings, or anything that might profit the town and in turn the mayor.
“Enough of this Catherine, you’re not doing anything with your life, it’s time you do something to benefit the family!” Henry demanded one day at the dinner table.
“I’m not getting a job here, consider it me being in protest,” she said matter-of-factly.
“I will not have you wasting your life away because you can’t be with Tyler. The boy has absolutely no potential, and I’ve been against the connection you two developed from the beginning. Holland, on the other hand, well it’s obvious he enjoys your company. He is a well respected man around here and our family would benefit from your relationship.”
“You must be kidding. You want me to consider a relationship with the mayor just so you can have advantage at the golf course?” Catherine was in awe, she knew her father was superficial but never imagined to this extent.
“You think you’re going to just sit in my house and live off of my paycheck and not give back? I could kick you out of my house and you would have nothing Catherine, do you understand that?” Henry’s voice elevated to a harsh and callous tone.
He was right, without her parents Catherine would have nothing. She had no other family in Noderton; no other connections that would be able and willing to support her. Catherine looked to her mother for solace but she sat there unfeeling and submissive.
“I’ll get a job then,” Catherine said hesitantly.
“I’d prefer you help our family’s social status, and go on a few dates with the mayor,” Henry said, regaining calmness.
“Absolutely not!” Catherine screamed.
After over an hour of shouting, tears and broken dishes, Catherine and Mayor Whitmore had a date scheduled.

Things slowly began to change more and more. The people of Noderton didn’t seem to notice, all they cared about was the slight economic growth. Holland had the town completely brainwashed and used their mindlessness to pass more illegal laws.
Uncle Sam seemed to turn his back on the town, not even noticing the absurdities that were taking place. While the rest of the country continued progressing, Noderton was regressing. Hangings started taking place at a large oak tree just outside of town, if someone dared to speak or go against the mayor. They now had more of a militia rather than typical law enforcement. Noderton became a sort of cult, people were not allowed into the town and people were not allowed out.

Dear Catherine,
I don’t know what happened, it’s been three years since I last heard from you and you told me that you didn’t want to be with me anymore. I know you told me not to see you or try to get in contact with you but I have to. I can’t get over you Catherine, and if you want to live in Noderton for the rest of our lives then that’s what we’ll do. I’ll work at my parent’s farm. We can do this, just give me a chance. I’ll be flying down there next week. Please don’t be mad.
I Love You,
Tyler
Catherine found the letter in Holland’s drawer and cried. The letter; had been written months ago, she could only imagine what they did to him when he tried to enter the town. Her mind went to the old oak tree just outside of town and she cringed and cursed herself for thinking of it. She knew tonight was the night. From below she could hear the door close and she stuffed the letter back into the drawer and rushed down the stairs to greet her husband.
“How was your day?” she asked in a monotone voice as she approached him.
“It was wonderful, just making the town a better place.” He said that every day and every time she felt a little piece of herself die inside.
“Dinner is on the table dear,” she forced a smile; she couldn’t remember the last time she truly smiled.
“What a good wife,” he said with a genuine smile. Her misery made him smile. It only proved what he already knew already, and that was that he could have whatever he wanted against the will of anyone.
“I’m going to start cleaning the kitchen up,” she moved toward the kitchen but he stopped her.
“We’ll eat together tonight,” Holland said gripping her arm.
She sat at the table and watched him inhale the chicken she had cooked for him, the chicken she had cooked just for him. She went to rest her head in her hand then winced at the immediate pain that sprang through her face. She forgot about the bruise on her cheek. She had so many cuts and bruises she was losing track of them all.
Catherine thought back to all the times she had sat at this table watching Holland eat. In the beginning nothing she cooked was right, but he trained her, he trained her like a dog. “Tough love,” he called it. He hit her one time so hard she was unconscious for hours. This would be the last meal she cooked for him, the thought almost made her grin but she didn’t want to alert him. Holland knew too well that she rarely smiled. When he finished his meal she stood up victorious.
“I’ll go clean the kitchen now.”
“Wait,” he wheezed.
“Do you need something dear?”
He kept wheezing, and then started choking, and then finally his face hit the table hard. She smiled, she smiled a real smile. It was over, now she had to move fast.
Catherine threw her clothes in a suitcase and emptied Holland’s wallet. He only had fifty dollars in cash, and that wouldn’t get her anywhere. She went to the safe, but of course Holland didn’t give her the combination. It didn’t matter much, she just needed to get out of the town, she could figure everything else out later. She had to get out.
She went down the stairs and slowly out the door; she then headed toward the woods. The streets were dark, and the streetlights didn’t provide much. She was glad. This was all so risky, she knew what would happen if they found her. She told herself a million times that she would rather die than live like this, but could she live up to her words? She thought of Tyler, and found herself moving faster.
Finally she was in the woods, Holland had been complaining that the patrols were getting lax, and she was counting on it. She moved swiftly and quietly, carefully avoiding the moonlight above. She was just about to the town border. She felt a cool breeze and she humored to herself that it was a breeze of a new era, of hope.
All of a sudden the sound she had feared the most ripped through the air, first the siren, then the sound of dogs on pursuit and she took off running though she knew it was hopeless. She knew what was going to happen when they caught her, there would be no trial. Nothing here was modern day America anymore. She pushed herself to run faster but she knew the dogs were getting closer, she heard their panting breaths close behind her. Then she felt a heavy force push her down to the dirt. She hit the ground hard and felt claws digging into her back, and teeth start gnawing at her shoulders. Maybe this was for the best, she would see Tyler soon.
There was no time to wonder about how Tyler was still alive and how he had made it to Catherine’s execution. Not enough time to be confused or sad that she would never see him again. Not enough time for feeling regret, or agony. No real time to even contemplate if he was even real or just a hallucination. There was just enough time for his face to be the last face she saw and she was okay with that. She was at peace.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 8 comments.


on May. 6 2011 at 2:30 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I really liked how the dialogue and thoughts were realistic, as others have commented. The chapters were a bit short, but overall written well and I like the idea. I would have liked a little more time to get to know the characters better though. What I saw was very interesting, and I think this story has real potential. Keep writing :)

A_Evans said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:14 pm
I have a hard time giving my characters qualities others can relate to so I was just wondering.

andria parks said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:11 pm
andria parks, Spokane, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I liked her individuality and spirit. And I know how she feels like whne she wants to be with Tyler and can't :(

A_Evans said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:00 pm
What characteristics did you relate to with Catherine?

Marshmellow said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 9:50 pm
Very well written...loved the beginning and ending. and agree that the characters were very realistic

on Apr. 22 2011 at 9:44 pm
Wow this was a very good read!! I hope to see more works like this...it was very original

A_Evans said...
on Apr. 21 2011 at 3:35 pm
I liked how you set up the beginning. it really hooked me :)

andria parks said...
on Apr. 15 2011 at 10:02 am
andria parks, Spokane, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
Very interesting. I loved Tyler and related to Catherine well. Good characters!