Pinky Promise

Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!
Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Katelyn

(October 16, Sunday)
I
t was only my third day with my dad and I was already tired of him. All he did was yell, yell, and yell. He would yell at me because I was on the phone. He would yell at Makenz, because she was always reading. He would yell at Bernie, because, well, I don’t actually know why. But it sure was annoying.
I was so nervous about school tomorrow, but Makenz keeps saying that I‘ll do fine. I doubt it. Finally, I remember that Nickol gave me a letter to read
Tell me what you think!
as soon as I got to my dad’s. I quickly find the letter. In her giant handwriting it says:

Katelyn,
I already miss you very much. I just hope that you are having fun at your dads. I just want you to know that you are the best little sister that anyone could ever have and that I love you so much. Call me.
Love, Nickol

A yell interrupts my reading. Naturally, it’s my dad.
“Katelyn! Get down here!”
“Coming, Dad!” I trudge down the stairs and see Bernie, Makenz, and my dad sitting at the tiny beat up kitchen table.
“Sit.” He orders. Makenz gives me a sorry look. “I think that now that you will be staying here with us for a while, you should help out with the farm. We can use an extra pair of hands around here.” I groan inwardly. I knew this was coming soon enough.
“Okay. When’s my first shift.” I say sarcastically.
“Don’t you give me attitude young lady.” He says sternly.
“Sorry.” I say, guilty now.
“Makenz will show you what to do tomorrow.” He turns to look at Makenz. “Please show her the shower and help her turn it on.” That’s when I realize that there is no shower in the house. Come to think of it, the only running water is the hose outside and the sink. I start to panic. Where was the shower if it wasn’t inside? I didn’t want to think about that.
“Okay.” Makenz says. She gets up and leads me upstairs. I breathe out a sigh of relief. The shower must be inside if she was taking me upstairs, right? “Just getting ya’ll a towel.” She goes into her parent’s room and grabs one of the three towels on their bed. Then she starts down the stairs and goes out the front and only door. Okay, this is not going to be good.
“Here it is.” She says and points to a showerhead coming out of the wall. There isn’t even a curtain or a door or anything.
“This is the shower?” I ask, my voice a pitch higher with shock and disbelief.
“Sure is. Why so creeped out?”
“There’s no curtain?”
“Why would we need one? There’s no one else here but us and the corn. And the neighbors, but they’re too far away to see us.” Neighbors? I didn’t know that we have neighbors. Oh well, I had more important things to think about at the moment.
I take an unsteady breath and say “But…but…no curtain?” I say again.
“Do you see a curtain?” she asks “ Would yawl like one?” I nod, not trusting my voice.
“Well, I’m sure I might be able to hold up something for yawl…” she looks around, trying to find something to hold up as a curtain for me.
“You could hold up my towel.” I say, though it sounds more like a question.
“Hmmm, that might work.” She says as she grabs the towel off of me. She had me get undressed upstairs and put the towel around me, though it was kind of awkward. I gasp and instinctively tried to cover myself up. What if my dad came out?
“Oh, sorry. I didn’t think you minded.” She says, obviously embarrassed. Her cheeks turn a light shade of pink. Then she holds the towel up for me, just as my dad comes outside. I fumble with the shower water, and finally shower. The water turns lukewarm after about five minutes. After I’m done, I get my PJ’s on and stay in my room while Makenz showers. The whole situation was just weird.
I immediately call Nickol so we can talk.
“Hello?”
“Hi Nicki! How are you?”
“I’m good. How are you?”
“Okay.”
“Oh! You’ll never guess who I met today!’
“Who?”
“Taylor Swift! She’s acting in my dad’s movie. I went to work with him today and Taylor was there! And she talked to me! It was awesome!”
I do a quiet scream. “Cool!”
“Yup!”
“Well, I just showered outside!” I say with fake enthusiasm.
“What?” she gasps.
“Yeah. And there’s no curtain so Makenz had to hold up a towel for me. It was terrible. You would have absolutely died.” Apparently, the situation seems extremely funny to Nickol. She starts cracking up. I’m kind of startled at first, but then I start to giggle to. Before I know it, we’re both laughing so hard we’re crying.
All of a sudden, I hear a knock on my door, and Makenz walks in. “Nickol? Can I call you tomorrow?” The suspicious look on Makenz’s face is creeping me out.
“Uh…sure? Is everything okay?”
“Yeah, I just need to talk to Makenz. Love ya, bye.” I quickly assure her and hang up.
“What’s up?” I ask Makenz.
“You got some mail…” she says.
“Mail? From who?”
“I don’t know.” She answers honestly. “There’s no address…”
“Oh. Can I see it?” I ask curiously.
“Here you go. It could be from any of our four neighbors…there’s four houses on the other end of our cornfield…you know we share the cornfield, right?”
“I guess so.” I say as I open the note.

(Part of the lyrics to ‘Haven’t Met You Yet’ by Michael Buble)
I might have to wait,
I’ll never give up,
I guess it's half timin', and the other half's luck,
Wherever you are,
Whenever it's right,
You'll come outta nowhere and into my life.
And I know some day that it’ll all turn out,
You'll make me work so we can work to work it out,
And I promise you kid that I give so much more than I get...
I just haven't met you yet.
Love, Your Secret Admirer
I giggle at the cleverness and gasp in surprise. A secret admirer? Me? Makenz must have thought the letter was for me, even though it was for her, right?
“Makenz, this letter can’t be for me. It must be for you.” I say as I hand her the letter.
“It can’t be for me.” She says as she reads the note. “I’ve met all of our neighbors and it’s from the song ‘Haven’t Met You Yet’.”
“Who even are our neighbors?” I seriously didn’t know. I barely even knew that
“You know those houses that border the cornfield? We all share the cornfield. Mrs. Pinsetti teaches the school at her house.”
“Oh. So will I meet all the kids tomorrow?”
“Yup. I’ll introduce you to all of them tomorrow.”
“Okay. How many are there?”
“There are four houses, not including ours. Mr. and Mrs. Pinsetti have three girls, Megan, Jewel, and Alicia. They’re triplets and seven years old. Mr. and Mrs. Keller have one girl and one boy, Mike and Tara. Mike’s thirteen and Tara’s eleven. Mrs. Pike-her husband died seven years ago-has seven kids, Carrie, 7 Cassie, 8, Carlie, 9,Cammie, 10, Cindie, 11, Cathie, 12, and Corrie, 13. And Dr. and Mrs. Adams have three kids, John, 14, Maxwell, 13, and Kenny, 12.”
“Wow. That’s a lot of names to remember, but I can usually remember names really easily.”
“Oh. Well that’s good then. Your letter is probably from Mike, John, Maxwell, or Kenny.”
“Probably. Well, I have to call Nickol back and call Auntie Becca and then go to bed, so I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night.”
“Good night, Katelyn.”
* * *

(October 17, Monday)
Makenz wakes me up at about seven thirty the next morning, telling me that I have one hour to get ready so I better get a move on.
“Alright, alright! I’ll get up!” I say, annoyed and exasperated, but I can’t help the smile. I go and get the outfit I picked out the night before, which was my most flattering outfit, seeing as I want my secret admirer to admire me even more. It was a short-but-not-too-short jean skirt and a baby blue v-neck tank with a silver flower design on the bottom. Paired with my silver flats, I was perfect. Or at least as perfect as I could be.
I try calling Auntie Becca again, but get nothing. I try to cover up my lip with lip gloss; last night I bit it until it started bleeding.
I was thankful that my dad had fixed up the loft for me. Or else I would be sleeping in Makenz’s room. I walk into her room now, and her jaw drops at the sight of my outfit and make-up.
“Is it too much?” I ask.
“You. Look. Amazing. Oh my God! You have to dress me. Please? Please make me look pretty! I have this really huge crush on Kenny, and I really want him to like me! Please!” She was on her knees, now, begging for my help.
“Jeez, of course I’ll help you.”
“Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!” She got up off her knees and looked me in the eyes. “Now, make me beautiful.”
“Okay.” She sits down on the bed and I go to work. By the time she’s done, she is wearing a pair of my shorts, and a red and white plaid shirt with it all scrunched up in a ponytail on the side. I had put her red-brown hair into two low braids and put just a touch of light green eye shadow on her eyelids. To finish off the look, I applied a swipe of deep pink lip-gloss and brown eyeliner. I stepped back to admire my handy-work. I guess living for 12 years with the queen of clothes and make-up I’d caught on a little.
“Where did you learn to do this?” Makenz asks me while checking herself out in the mirror.
“Well, I’m not really sure. Nickol is usually the one who helps me get dressed and put on makeup, so I must have picked up on a few things.”
“Definitely. So, how do I just walk in to school like this? I don’t usually look like this...I usually wear old clothes.” She laughs at herself in minor embarrassment.
“Well, you just have to look confident. And, walk with your head high, like you don’t care what anybody else thinks of you.”
“Okay.” She gave a practice strut across her small room and I giggle.
“Perfect. Now let’s go get ‘em!” I say as I take her arm in mine. We walk like Dorothy and her friends in the Wizard of Oz all the way to school, heads high. When we get there, though, the panic sets in. I wasn’t like this, pretty and popular at home, so how will I know if the kids will like me here?
We walk up the front steps of what is obviously Mrs. Pinsetti’s house.
“Follow me.” Makenz says as we walk into the small doorway. She leads me into the first room to the right, and I see all the rows of desks. There were twenty desks all together, and fourteen of them were filled.
All the kids turn and stare at me. A few whispers to each other until there shushed by the teacher.
“Oh! Hello! You must be Katelyn. I’m Mrs. Pinsetti, your temporary teacher.” Makenz walks to what is obviously her desk and sits down. “Okay. Katelyn, this is Megan, Jewel, Alicia, Carrie and Cassie.” She says pointing to the first row. Now she points to the second row. “This is Carlie, Cammie, Cindie, Cathie, and Tara.” She points to the third row. “And this is…well, you know Makenz, and this is Kenny, Cathie, Corrie, John, and Maxwell. Why don’t you just pick an empty seat?”
“Okay.” I say. I sit down next to Maxwell since Makenz is surrounded. He tells me to call him Max. He’s pretty gorgeous. I laugh softly at myself, checking him out.
He has amazing blonde hair that’s long, but not weird-long. His eyes are deep, deep blue and he’s extremely tan with perfect skin. I glance shyly at him and he catches my eye. I can’t look away; I’m caught in a daze of his dark, sea blue eyes. He holds my stare for what seems like forever.
“Max?” Mrs. Pinsetti asks. “What did you get for number seven?”
He breaks the stare and looks at her, completely baffled.
“Oh!” He fumbles for his math notebook, scrambling around. His face is completely red and his brother Kenny laughs, the one that Makenz likes.
We go through the rest of the day like that and I feel like I’m in elementary school again. Mrs. Pinsetti just gave us papers to do and things out of books. Every “grade” got a different level paper. All in all, it was pretty easy. I could get used to this, I think. On the way home, I called Nickol to see how she was doing.
“Hello?”
“Hi Nickol, its Katelyn.”
“I know. How was your first day of school?” I don’t know why I had said it was Katelyn. Maybe I didn’t quite feel like myself, so I thought that she wouldn’t recognize me either. Odd.
“Pretty good.” I answer. For once I had a good story to tell. I had forgotten to call Nickol last night, so she didn’t know anything about my secret admirer. “Guess what?”
“What?”
“I have a secret admirer! And he wrote me a poem!”
“Oh my gosh! No way! You are so lucky! Do you know who it is? What did the poem say?” I’d already memorized the poem so I recited it to her. Then I told her all about my “elementary” school day.
“Cool. I start school tomorrow. Wish me luck!” she says.
“Good luck. Love you. Hey, have you been able to get in touch with Auntie Becca? Because she hasn’t emailed me or gotten any of my calls. Or called me.”
“I know. Me neither. Isn’t it weird? I’m getting really worried about her. And mom.”
“Yeah, me too. I’ll try her again when I get home. You call her too, okay? I really hope she answers because I’m really worried about mom…” I start to chew on my nails like I only do when I’m upset or worried.
“Yeah. Okay. Bye, Katelyn.”
“Bye.”

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 11:47 am:
Wow! One of the characters has my name (katelyn) and it's even spelled the same way! lol

Azrael said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm:
wait, if nickol is younger cuz u said she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997, how is nickol in ninth grade???im just super curious but i loved ur story great job

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm :
haha well if she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997 then nickol IS older by two years....think about it haha...but thanks, this is only chapter one so i hope you read the rest!:)