Pinky Promise

Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!
Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13

Epilouge: Katelyn

(December 20, Wednesday)
D
ear Auntie Becca,
As I look back on my time with my dad, I realize that it wasn’t actually that bad. I mean, sure it was really hard being away from Nickol and mom and everyone…but they do say that if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger.
You didn’t miss too much…well, not yet. I wish I had gotten to talk to you just one last time, or if you were here to see how good mom’s doing. And maybe you would have been able to meet Max.
This is it! Tell me what you think of the whole thing:)
He’s a good kid. You would have liked him.
Since you never got to meet him, he has brown hair and brown eyes. As you and I both know so well, I’m a sucker for a guy with brown eyes. Right now he’s sitting here next to me, holding my right hand. (You know I’m a lefty, right?) He really wanted to meet you.
It’s been exactly one month since we got home from our dads. And five days since…you know, you died and all. I know that you always talked openly about dying, but it’s just not me. I miss you. Just saying.
You never got to meet Nickol’s boyfriend either. I haven’t either, at least not yet. But from what I hear he’s really great. Sometimes he texts me, which I find cute. Not like that kind of cute…like puppy cute or something. You know what I mean.
Mom’s doing really great. She’s starting to relearn things really well, thanks to Nickol, Jerry, and me. Jerry’s her fiancé. Both Nickol and I really love him. He takes care of us. And now Nickol and I have more free time because we don’t always have to take care of mom.
Jerry works at the hospital. That’s how they met. You must think how crazy she is, going on her third husband. Just wait till the day she has another kid on June 12th. Ha-ha. You were always such a good big sister to her.
Uncle Bob is doing okay. He’s spoiling that baby to death. He’s been really tired lately, so Nickol and I go over to your apartment a lot to help take care of little Carrie. She’s adorable, really is. And she looks so much like you, too. She’s really attached to mom, like I was to you when I was little. I think they’re going to be as close as we were.
Max says hello. He wasn’t sure if it was okay to say hello to your girlfriend’s dead aunt, but I told him that it was alright; you wouldn’t mind.
Don’t worry, when Carrie’s old enough, I’ll tell her all about you. I’ll tell her as much as I know, and then it will be as if you were here.
I’m going to go now. I promise that every year on Carries birthday I’ll take her to come and visit you. I just want you to know that I love you more than anything in the world, Auntie Becca.
Ta ta for now.
Love,
Katelyn

“Babe?” Max asks as I fold up the letter. “Sorry if I’m being pushy or anything, but like, what happened to her?”
“You know how we couldn’t talk to her on the phone?” he nods. “Well her house got foreclosed, so she moved into an apartment and got a new number. Then…she was giving birth. Something went wrong…I think the baby got detached from her and they had to do an emergency C-section, and while they were doing that she had a heart attack…” I explain. “After they got the baby out, it was too late. But the baby lived. Her names Carrie.”
“You guys were really close, huh?” It was a rhetorical question. Nickol comes up behind me and starts rubbing my shoulders.
“You got a lot of tension and stress up here, babe.” She says.
“Yeah, I know.” I sigh.
“Common, let’s go for a walk.” She suggests. She grabs my hand from Max and pulls me up. The two of us start walking into the sunset. “It’s going to be okay,” She says, “We’re going to be okay.”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 11:47 am
Wow! One of the characters has my name (katelyn) and it's even spelled the same way! lol

Azrael said...
wait, if nickol is younger cuz u said she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997, how is nickol in ninth grade???im just super curious but i loved ur story great job

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
haha well if she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997 then nickol IS older by two years....think about it haha...but thanks, this is only chapter one so i hope you read the rest!:)