Red Popsicle Summers

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Next »

Max? Lovesick? No… It couldn’t be true. Could it?

I thought over everything a long time. I felt bad for being so rude and tried to call Hannah back but nobody picked up. I had a troubled sleep through the night and woke up really tired.
My mom came in to get me up for the soccer game I had and she thought I didn’t look to good and considered the fact that I might be sick and insisted I stay home from the game.
I was glad I guess because I probably wouldn’t be able to concentrate on the ball and would fall asleep instead. I needed the time to think anyway. I called Eric and my mom finally let me out in the afternoon after she examined me and thought I looked a bit better and inferred that exercise would be good for me anyway.
So Eric and I went to the park to play some ball and I had to ask him what to do about Hannah. I know he will say don’t tell her and let her be mad but I had to try.
After I told him everything he just looked at me and said.
“Man, what are you a girl! I don’t want to know about your problems.”
“Sorry I just am really confused and a little mixed up right now.” I replied.
“Bro! I was just kiddin’ with ya!” he said, punching me lightly in the arm. “I say you go over there and apologize and tell her how you feel. If it ruins what you guys have sorry. But you aren’t lookin’ to hot right now anyway. If it doesn’t go well maybe you could ask out that Alicia girl who has the locker right next to yours.”
“That’s true.” I said, “I think Hannah was going out with some guy tonight but I’ll go over there around ten and talk to her. And you know what maybe I will ask out Alicia.”
“Good luck to you!” Eric said and we just passed the ball talking about sports and school for a while and then we both left to go home.

When I got home, I went into my closet to find the best looking outfit I had. I wanted to look good if I was really going to tell Hannah how I felt. I couldn’t find anything but old t-shirts, so I headed into my bro’s room. He was out and I didn’t think he would mind if I borrowed one of his shirts. I picked out a black t-shirt with a faded guitar on it and pulled it over my head and shrugged on my leather jacket, it was getting slightly cold outside. I laced up my converse after pulling on a pair of jeans and tousled my hair, it looked good messy.
“Hey mom!” I said running down the stairs “I’m just going to run over to Hannah’s real quick ok?”
“Sure honey! But are you feeling well enough?”
“Yeah, I’m fine ma!”
“Ok be back by 10:30, if you’re any later I’m calling the police!” she said jokingly serious.

As I walked over I bought some flowers to maybe make her feel better. I don’t know why flowers or chocolate does that but who cares, what matters is that it works.
I turned on Hannah’s street and made my way down it. I didn’t see a car or anything outside her house so I expected that her date had left already. But boy was I in for a surprise.
When I turned the corner up to her walkway all I saw was Hannah and her date locked in an embrace that disgusted me. I just stood there with my mouth open; I didn’t even notice the flowers drop and Hannah turn to look at me, and the look of embarrassment on her face.
All I did was turn and walk away, as fast as I could. I heard Hannah call my name several times but they were all vague and I just ignored them and kept on walking.
I left the flowers on her walkway and didn’t even care that they had cost me two weeks allowance that I rarely get. I just couldn’t believe it.
I thought it all was a stunt to make me jealous but I guess it’s real and I have to except that. I don’t know what will happen to Hannah and my relationship but for now it’s effectively ruined.

wordlover27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:37 am:
This is the first time I read a whole book on Teen Ink! I was hooked on your story and just HAD to finish it! Just wondering though, why is it called "Red Popsicle Summers"?

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:40 am :

The title is tentative right now. It refers to the memory of Max's sitting out on the tree with Hannah, eating red popsicles. I'm really bad at titling my work. :/

Just wondering, would you pick up the book in the store

ThespianChickAnnie said...

Oh MAN, this is good! Like, seriously. Amazing. :)

I agree with remembermyname, you should TOTALLY write a sequel. :)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm :
Thank you :)

remembermyname said...

Okay, first thing first, I freaking love this! It was not what I was expecting. AND that's a good thing. I was expecting the whole typical love story cliche. I loved.

Secondly, I was really hoping for Max and Hannah to fall in love, but when they didn't I was like, "Wow! That turned out pretty good anyway!" =)

Thirdly, MAKE A SUEQUEL OR SOMETHING! I was yearning for more when I  new I was almost done with the 25th chapter. I hate when the story ends at a re... (more »)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 11:11 am :
Thank you so much! I will definitely look at your work. I wrote this a couple years ago and it was m first, so it makes me very happy to hear such great things about it. :)

remembermyname replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm :
NO problem!  Do you think you will make a sequel? It is going to be fantistic!

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm :
I have already started one. But I only did a few chapters before I stopped. This was about a year ago, I haven't really looked at it since.