Red Popsicle Summers

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next »

High School: A big step from little Bear Creek Elementary, Don’t you agree?

Hannah’s POV The rest of the first day of school went well. I got used to the fact that I have six different teachers, and all my classes are only an hour long before we have to change again. I sat with Max for lunch, and a couple of our other close friends. That’s how it always was and I hope to keep it that way. All throughout lunch, Eric continued to eye Max and I every time we were talking. It started to get a little weird but I didn't want to ask in fear I would embarrass Eric or myself. Eric and Max have been best friends since 3rd grade. He moved here from New York; that year Max and I took him under our wings and made him one of our friends. I wondered if something was going on with Eric and then the idea came to me. He couldn’t possibly like me could he? Oh no! That would be horrible. I mean I love him as a friend and all but that would just be too weird. Like it would be like if Max and I started dating. But it wouldn’t be nearly as weird as that. That would ruin our relationship completely. I know things like this start happening in high school. I do think some guys are cute and stuff but not my best friends. I resolved to talk to Katie about it later. I’ve known her since 2nd grade. She had lived here all her life but had gone to a public school before she went to Bear Creek. We soon became great friends and to tell you the truth Max got a little jealous of her at one point. It was pretty funny. He would always snap at her and treat her badly because he didn’t get my full attention all the time. He got over it though and now we are all friends. I will see how Eric acts tomorrow and consult Katie at our sleepover on Friday. I headed to bed, needing to get a good nights rest for my second day of school. I woke up in the morning refreshed and ready to go. I put on one of my new outfits that I bought for the start of school. It consisted of an adorable mid thigh length Lucky dress with a floral pattern and black Ralph Lauren sandals. I decided to do my hair half way up since it looks best that way and I added a clip to hold the half way part up. I really tried this morning. I don’t want to become popular or anything but I want people to think highly of me, that’s all. My mom finally agreed that I could wear make up if I went easy on it. The minute she thought it was too much; it would be taken away. So I put my little bit on and grabbed my bag, heading downstairs to grab something to eat. “You look nice today, hunny.” My mom looked up at me as I landed on the bottom stair. She was sitting at the counter, eating a bowl of cereal while glancing through a catalog. “Are you trying to impress a boy?” “Mom! No. What gave you that idea?” “Oh just your outfit, hair, and make up.” “It’s nothing mom I just wanted to look good for my second day of school.” I could feel a slight blush creep up my cheeks, there was a cute guy in my math class that I liked. But I forced it to go away, as not to give it away to my mom just yet. “Oh… ok just get some breakfast in you before you go. You know it’s the most important meal of the day!” “Mom! Please stop! I’m begging you!” She just smiled at me as she handed me a plate. I stopped at my new locker on my way to class to pick up my huge science textbook. I mean could they have made them any bigger? I received all of my textbooks yesterday, and now they are filling up my locker. I took a quick glance at my schedule before I headed off to homeroom. I haven’t exactly memorized it yet but I am close. Schedule for Hannah Leigh Grade: 9 Homeroom: Mrs. Hoyle Per 1: Biology Mr. Hardwright Per 2: French 2 Ms. Rousseau Break Per 3: (H) Geometry Ms. Caldwell Per 4: Drama Mrs. Stephiano Lunch Per 5: (H) English Mr. Peterson Per 6: Lacrosse Coach Marks I headed off to homeroom, wondering where Max was. He said he would meet me at my locker, so much for that. That’s when I walked by and saw him at his locker talking to some girl. I mean I don’t really care that much but it just hurt my feelings a little. These past few years Max has definitely become a hottie in other girls’ eyes. But he was my best friend, I had to admit he was cute now but that’s it. We had fun together and admitting I liked him would not have been good. Say we weren’t friends maybe things would have started and I would have tried to get him to like me. But that’s not the way things are and I know girls talk about him and wonder why we don’t just start things up but when they ask I never answer. I love him as a friend, yes, I admit, at one point I did like him but we had too great of a friendship. Now I know he wants to actually date girls and I’m fine with it. I think… But girls should not come before friends and I have been standing here for quite some time now and he hasn’t even noticed me! I’m leaving; he will just have to meet me in homeroom. I’ll go find Katie and confide in her about my problems, that’s her specialty. I found Katie at her locker right in between the rows where Max’s and my locker were located. “Hey Katie!” I exclaimed, “I need help with all my big problems, and you’re the only one I know who is a junior physiatrist.” “Well you’ve come to the right person, Han-banan!” she seemed happy to see me. “What is it now?” “Well,” I hesitated and then it just all started pouring out like when you pour a glass of lemonade and it pours to fast and spills all over. “Max obviously wants to start dating other girls, I’m fine with that but it just seems weird that he wouldn’t tell me. All he has to do is ask and I would have been ok, he didn’t even show up at my locker! It’s not like I’m his girlfriend or anything but I am his best friend and he should tell me these things, right? I feel hurt but am I over exaggerating? And then the other day at lunch Eric wouldn’t stop staring at me and I got a tad bit nervous. But I didn’t want to say anything for in case I was just paranoid. This is all to much and my head hurts!” Katie just stared at me, and then the bell rang. “Well, you do have a lot of problems there! Maybe we should talk about this later when we have more time. How about this Friday is completely devoted to all your problems?” “Ok” I said relieved she wasn’t freaked out by me. “See you in Math!” “Ok see ya!” she slammed her locker shut and walked away. I looked around me and noticed that the hall were already almost half empty. I quickly picked up my pace so I wouldn’t be late to class on only my second day of school. My first two periods went well. I gave Max the cold shoulder and he looked completely confused. Now that I think about it maybe I shouldn’t have been so mean and instead should have talked to him. Oh well it was his fault. He failed to complete his best friend duties by meeting me at his locker. He needs to figure this out on his own. I was off to math with Katie; I was still starving after break. Some days I just can’t get enough food! But I have to go to class, hungry or not, so there was nothing I could do. Luckily I sit next to a really cute guy in her class. I haven’t even spoken to him yet but that’s ok. It’s just nice to sit next to him even if he doesn’t know I exist. I was quietly taking down notes while Ms. Caldwell talked about the topics we would be discussing this year and started into the areas of regular polygons. When, all of a sudden a foreign piece of paper showed up on the corner of my desk. I looked up in the general direction of the cute guy next to me, he smiled and then went back to pretending to write notes. My stomach started turning happy circles, I really wanted to know what was on that paper. I smoothly opened it, pretending I was still writing my notes and read it. Hey! Most boring class ever huh? I’d rather be out skateboarding or something. How bout you? Oh and my names Adam. What’s yours? By the way, I love your dress; it looks really cute on you. ; ) It made me all giddy inside, I decided to sound a little flirty and see what happens. He had been anyways. I felt bad because I wasn’t listening to Mrs. Caldwell but it’s not like the concept of areas is very hard anyway. I replied back with this. Hey! I’m Hannah. And I so agree with you! It’s only the second day and I can’t stand it! You like my dress huh? I like it too! What a coincidence. ; ) P.S. I think your jeans are very sexy! ;) I wrote the last line and was about to erase it but something stopped me. It was a new day of a new year and I could afford a little risk here and there. I folded up the paper and slid it onto his desk. Once he opened it, he laughed! He read it and laughed! Well not out load but I could tell he wanted to. He quickly sent me a reply. Mrs. Caldwell was still droning on up front. She was pointing things out with her freakishly long fingers on the projector. It’s one of those old school ones. I tried copying down some of the stuff she was writing but then a new note appeared on my desk and that was of higher priority at the moment. I picked it up and read, You think they’re sexy huh? Well I sure hope so, that was what the label said! If they don’t give off that effect I am returning them immediately! What do you say we go see a movie this weekend? Here’s my cell: 310-876-**** Oh wow… I thought. That was fast. Maybe he means just as friends. I doubt it. I replied back with a yes anyway. I already took a risk, another little one can’t hurt. I would love to! I have to ask my mom but I am sure she will be cool with it. Here’s my cell: 310-234-**** : ) : ) : ) I am so happy and excited. I have a date with a guy after only starting 9th grade! This is so cool! After class I told Katie all about it and she squealed and hugged me. She agreed that he was super hot! The rest of the week went well and I can’t wait for my sleepover with Katie tonight. I asked my mom if it was okay for me to go with Adam after school on Tuesday and she was fine with it as long as she got to meet him. I asked her during dinner as we sat down. “Hey mom.” “Yes, hunny?” she was in a good mood, which will help things. Always ask for something when your parents are happy, it normally works to your advantage. “Can I go to the movies this weekend?” “Yes, but with who? Katie or Max?” She was looking at me funny and I think she knew it wasn’t Katie or Max. “Um, well actually it’s with neither of them, this guy named Adam in my math class, asked me to go with him.” Oh please say yes, I thought! It would ruin everything if she said no. Then I would have to explain to Adam that my mom said I couldn’t go. “I think that would be fine. Will I get to meet this boy before you go?” “Yes, of course you will get to meet him!” I cooed, “What else would you expect?” “Well I guess nothing else. But here me out, if I don’t like him, you are not going. You will not beg or plead with me. Do you understand?” “Yes, mom I understand.” After that we went back to eating and I felt satisfied. Afterward I called Adam and we made plans for Saturday night. We talked for an hour until we finally decided on dinner at Zed's Pizza and then a movie right after. I fell asleep happy that night my head filled with pleasant dreams of Adam and I.

wordlover27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:37 am:
This is the first time I read a whole book on Teen Ink! I was hooked on your story and just HAD to finish it! Just wondering though, why is it called "Red Popsicle Summers"?

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:40 am :

The title is tentative right now. It refers to the memory of Max's sitting out on the tree with Hannah, eating red popsicles. I'm really bad at titling my work. :/

Just wondering, would you pick up the book in the store

ThespianChickAnnie said...

Oh MAN, this is good! Like, seriously. Amazing. :)

I agree with remembermyname, you should TOTALLY write a sequel. :)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm :
Thank you :)

remembermyname said...

Okay, first thing first, I freaking love this! It was not what I was expecting. AND that's a good thing. I was expecting the whole typical love story cliche. I loved.

Secondly, I was really hoping for Max and Hannah to fall in love, but when they didn't I was like, "Wow! That turned out pretty good anyway!" =)

Thirdly, MAKE A SUEQUEL OR SOMETHING! I was yearning for more when I  new I was almost done with the 25th chapter. I hate when the story ends at a re... (more »)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 11:11 am :
Thank you so much! I will definitely look at your work. I wrote this a couple years ago and it was m first, so it makes me very happy to hear such great things about it. :)

remembermyname replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm :
NO problem!  Do you think you will make a sequel? It is going to be fantistic!

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm :
I have already started one. But I only did a few chapters before I stopped. This was about a year ago, I haven't really looked at it since.