Bringing The Schools To The Country | Teen Ink

Bringing The Schools To The Country

By Tavares, Blythewood, South Carolina
Tavares, Blythewood, South Carolina

During the mid-day weather on a beautiful fall day there, I sat on my window seal looking at the kids playing in the field thinking to myself about how mad mama is gone be. Just as I prepared myself to yell at them Ma took the words right out of my mouth, there she is yelling up a storm about how dangerous those fields can be because of the animals that lurk around looking for food. Then she goes back to when she and auntie Shauna used to work in those fields as if it was yesterday she says. After the war, the state paid us loads of money but Ma always acts like it is sacred and we can't use it we’ve only used it to buy this big white house and have auntie Shauna and her kids stay here with us. We don't have few neighbors down here in the country of the deep south except for the little old white woman who lost her husband in the war her name is Mrs.Carol, her husband and my Pa both fought side by side in the war against the Spanish. Unfortunately, my Pa didn't make it back to us either, Ma doesn't really like to talk about it because she considers him the past. I’ve always assumed that’s where the money came from I guess because he was fighting for the country when he died. Besides not having my Pa I have three other siblings, two cousins, and one auntie. My siblings are the twins whose names are London and Landon, then there is Briana and then there is me Chelsea. There we were early Sunday morning getting ready for church mama is just waiting on her friend Ms.Cheryl, Ms.Cheryl is like Ma’s other sister they’ve been friends since they were in elementary school Ma says. I wish I could have a friendship for that long but for me and all the other kids are all homeschooled because of how far away we live. After church, we all come back to the house even Ms.Cheryl as we ride down the road Ma and Ms.Cheryl are laughing so hard about the things they have done together, then it goes silent and Ma and Ms.Cheryl just stare at each other and Ms.Cheryl breaks the silence and starts talking about my Pa and then Ma starts crying but she tries to hide from me and the others so we won’t see her crying so I distract the twins and Briana so they won’t see Ma cry. She tries to keep up this independent woman vibe so I will think she is doing better without Pa and she can hold her own but I like it when she cries because it seems like she gets relieved and becomes a brand new person.

We get home and Ma and Ms.Cheryl get right too cooking, Ms.Cheryl starts working on the collards while Ma seasons the porkchop and the field peas ouuu we I tell ya that's my favorite meal. Ma tells me to start on the sweet tea, she already started steeped the tea bags in boiling water now its time for me to shine. I start by pouring it in my favorite glass pitcher which has white tulips and yellow daisies. Its either go big or go home when it comes to southern-style sweet tea there is never too much sugar am I right, then add a pound of ice and you’re done. I take the kids outside so Ma and Ms.Cheryl can finish cooking we play freeze tag, hide and go seek, and just relaxed looking at the sunset. Ma calls us into the house to eat just as it gets dark, she knows to give the twins the same amount of food or else they will argue all night about who had the most food and how one can get more than the other. As for me and Briana, we have to wait on the younger ones to finish so they can get bathed and put on the clothes and get ready for tomorrow, their first day at the new daycare Ma heard about at church not too far from the house actually right up the road.

I wake up early to get the twins ready I have them start by brushing their teeth then I fix up their hair and get their clothes pressed. As I wait on them to finish putting on their clothes I whip up a quick breakfast for them and have Auntie Shauna ride with me to drop them off. I feel comfortable riding with Auntie Shauna because she just keeps calm and lets me do my thing. We start to talk about if I wished I could ever go to school I pause and think about if I ever went to school and it gets me thinking about when I get older how I would instead of bringing the country to school I would bring the schools to the country. Its time to get the twins from daycare and I ask Ma can I drive alone this time just so I can think about schools coming to the country, we get home and I go straight to my room to brainstorm about how my plan would work idea after idea swirling in my head like a tornado, then I think about my 17th birthday and about the silly things I’ve asked for and come to realize that I’m going to ask Ma if I can use that money to start a small school in the country for the younger kids who don't have an opportunity to go to school. 

The day of my birthday ready to pitch my idea to Ma around Ms.Cheryl and Auntie Shauna and all the kids. Here I go my palms getting sweatier by the minute my mouth packed with words all scrabbled and balled up then I get the courage and yell out Ma I wanna start my own school with the money from the state, it went silent, Ma in shock and Auntie Shauna pausing mid-sip of her “grown-up water.” Then Ms.Cheryl broke the silence and said I think that’s a great idea just think about how much recognition she would get, then Mrs.Carol chimed in and said I agree with Cheryl let her do it, Teresa, referring to Ma, I’ll even give her some of my “state money.” I was quick to say no Mrs.Carol you don't have to and she responds with dear I don't have to but I want to. Then starts an uproar of conversation and then Ma begins to speak and it falls silent again, she says ill let you do it on one condition there must be no profit earned only unless it is from fundraisers and I want you to do your best to make that school your everything and make it known who you are. Everybody is celebrating, we start the next day off advertising the new school coming to the country. There are flyers everywhere with my name on it Chelsea Newman is bringing the schools to the country.

Many months go by and there it is, my school the school I brought to the country so that kids like me who couldn't get a chance at education now have one because of me. The day comes where its time for me to finally open my school to all the young kids in the country, my whole family is there just as anxious as I am. To my surprise, I had people from all over coming to see me announce the opening of the school, and then right before my eyes, I saw the mayor. The mayor himself found time to come all the way down to the country to see me open my school in shock I am. He walks up to me and congratulates me, he says I never would’ve imagined someone as young as you would have the courage to do something so mighty for your community and for that I congratulate you. Now the time has come for me to cut the ribbon and say a short speech and call Ma up to cut it with me, we count to three then cut it everyone is cheering. Many parents come to thank me and congratulate me. Later on that night I just think about the future of the school and my future with the school and I thank god before I close my eyes and go to sleep. Later on that week you won’t believe what happened to my greatest accomplishment. Woken out of my sleep by a disturbing phone call you won’t be able to fathom what happened.

Preview the next story

There I am heartbroken by my discovery a hate crime I disclaim nobody would ever do this to me, I haven’t done anything to anyone. There I stand speechless the anger fills up in my stomach like a bull going crazy in a cage the more water I throw on the fire burning in my stomach the madder I get. Words can't describe the way I’m feeling, I collect my self and attempt to make reason of the situation or at least people I can blame.