Road to Mastery | Teen Ink

Road to Mastery

May 7, 2019
By TysonFlorence20, New Brighton, Pennsylvania
More by this author
TysonFlorence20, New Brighton, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece is 3000 words

“Tsunami!” is all young Akaski could remember from the day both his parents

died. It all happened July 12, 1993 in Okushiri, Japan. Akaski was a year old and was just learning to talk. “He sure has grown up fast,” his dad said.

“I hope he grows up to be just like his grandfather, Sora Hirogashi,” said his mother. Sora was the 13th Oyabun (Leader) of Okushiri and a true role model for the citizens there.” The day was cold and muggy, and something catastrophic was bound to happen. As the day went on, the ground shook every few hours. Nothing too crazy, is what his parents thought. The tides were high-and the wind was blowing, definitely not a normal day for them.  And at 1:17 PM something that would change Akaski’s life forever happened.

As the family ate their lunch, the wind was blowing way harder than usual. Akaski’s dad stepped outside; he could hear only one thing over the loud wind. “Tsunami!” His father rushed inside to get everyone out, but it was too late. The winds and water were already washing away half the village. In a desperate attempt to save Akaski, he put him inside of an empty cabinet low to the ground.

After the tsunami  rushed over the village, the rescue team searched from building to building for survivors. As they went through the shattered building that was once Akaski’s home, they could hear something; it sounded like a baby! They opened the cabinet that Akaski was put into; they saw blood coming from somewhere. They rushed him to the nearest hospital. Akaski came out of that hospital with 14 stitches and a crack on the soft spot of his head.

“He’s lucky to be alive right now; he cracked the soft spot on his head and will need to protect it for the rest of his life if he wants to function correctly.” After Akaski recovered, children’s services put him in a foster home. He was not given good care, and he bounced around in foster homes for another several years.

After his 15th foster home, Akaski decided that it would take forever to find a decent home. He was abused mentally and physically, and the environments weren’t good at all. He concluded that being homeless was for the best. At the age of 9, he was on his own. He frequently moved around the small island in search of food and shelter.                                             

After two years, he found his way to Tokyo, Electric Town. He found an alleyway that he could live in. There was no food or water, but he could buy something with the money he collected from begging. Times were hard. One day he was in Tokyo looking for food and saw another boy, not too much older than him, short, dark brown hair, and a face that didn’t say anything but sadness. Akaski wandered over to him and introduced himself. “Hey, I’m Akaski Hirogashi. What’s your name? I saw you wandering by yourself, and I wanted to know if you need anything?”

“Hey, I’m Eiko Shikamaru, and yea I know what I need-a-home. I’ve been wandering the streets of Tokyo for three years now.” Akashi realized more physical features about him-how skinny he was, his teeth were sickeningly greren, and his intense stench. As the day went on, the boys got less uncomfortable with each other, and Akaski finally asked, “Why are you homeless?”

“Ever since my old village got wiped out from the Tsunami, my parents and brother went from city to city looking for a home. Eventually they couldn’t afford to keep me, and they just left.” Akaski could immediately could feel a connection to Eiko. Ever since that day, they stuck together like peas in a pod.

As they sat in that same alleyway where Akaski lived. He asked “Have you ever thought of what you wanted to do in life?”

Eiko gave a cold death stare at Akaski. “Kill my brother, Nobu.” Akaski backed up a little bit but still asked, “Why?”

“He was the one who suggested the idea to leave me. Thanks to him, I’m homeless.”

“Well mine is to learn Capoeira and become a martial arts master. The only problem is that I don’t have a trainer, and in my condition I’ll never find one. “

That long conversation inspired them to save up the money they collected and go to a martial arts tournament a few miles away from their alley.

“Wow, there are sure a lot of people in here,” said Akaski.

“Yeah, there sure are, but let's get to our seats to watch.”

That tournament was what set something off in Eiko’s mind; he could watch more tournaments and learn some of his own moves. Although it wasn’t the most efficient way to learn, it sure could help him.

Days after the event, they went to a river and washed off a bit; this time Akaski bought actual soap. “It really does feel good being clean again,” said Eiko.

“Since we’re cleaned up and presentable again, we might be able to find some sort of low level trainer who can teach us the basics,” said Akaski excitedly. They walked around in dojos, mostly in Tokyo, looking for some sort of trainer. Just when they had almost given up, the final guy they asked said yes.

“Yeah, I can teach you a move or two of Capoeira, but you’ll need to pay me,” the man gestured towards Akaski.

“How much? We don’t have much money, but we’ll give you all we have. Also, what’s your name?”

“I’m Suzuki Sato, master of Capoeira.”

They scheduled Akaski’s first training session with Suzuki the next week so they had time to gather more money. Their method of getting money was quite simple. They sat outside their alley with a sign that read “NEED MONEY FOR FOOD.”

Akaski and Eiko were back inside the alleyway just sitting down. “Well, if he only knows Capoeira, and I’m learning Jiu Jitsu; how will I train?”

“Well, maybe you’re just out of luck; maybe watching tournaments will be your only way to learn.”

The next week the day came for Akaski to go to his first session of training; it was in the middle of the forbidden forest where a whole army of soldiers died all at once. He ran as fast as he could to the area where they were supposed to meet.

“Well you made it in time, great! I picked to train here because this is where I used to train; it’s nice and quiet,” said Suzuki as Akaski ran up to him. “Your first task: kick that target without jumping.” The target was nailed about six feet up on a tree and seemed difficult to reach, but Suzuki reached it easily. “Your turn!”

Akaski tried to hit it the first time and barely made it four feet up. “How did you do that!?”

“Focus on staying on the ground but also going in the air.”

“How do I do that?” Akaski tried again, no progress.

After several hours of attempts, Akaski barely nipped the paper. “Yes! I got it!”

“Good job,” said Suzuki. “Meet me here at 7:00 PM tomorrow. Next time, it won’t be as easy.” Akaski didn’t know what this meant, but he had to be ready.

After training, he went to the alley and sat with Eiko. “How was the training?”

“It was okay; he made me kick a mark six feet up on a tree standing still; it was pretty hard.” After they exchanged words for awhile, they went to sleep.

When they woke up, it was a normal Tokyo day, sunny and beautiful. Akaski woke up and did the usual-sat-by the alleyway and begged for change. Everyday, he would get around $10 or $15 dollars, which isn’t much, but it got them food. At 7:00 PM, Akaski walked to the forbidden forest and made his way to Suzuki. “Hey kid, I was wondering if you and your friend wanted to live over at my place for awhile?

“Oh boy, would we!” Akaski exclaimed. Akaski walked to the alleyway and explained what just happened.

“Are you sure he’s trustworthy; you’ve only known him for a week now. How do you know it’s not a trap?” asked Eiko.

“Let’s head over and check the place out. Be alert if anything is suspicious,” said Akaski. The three of them, Eiko, Suzuki, and Akaski all walked to Suzuki’s house. When they walked in, Akaski and Eiko stayed right next to each other in case it was a trap of some sort. “Eiko, I think he’s just being nice and giving us a home.”

“C’mon boys let’s eat!,” said Suzuki at the dinner table. Once they  finished their food, they all went to bed.

When Akaski woke up, he ate his breakfast, and woke up Suzuki. The two of them, went to the forest and worked on their moves together.

“Hey, try to kick that target one more time.” Akaski finally kicked the mark in the tree! He also learned to do a backflip. “Good job, Akaski! You could be just like me if you keep progressing like this! After training, they both walked home and went to bed. Akaski had to practice early tomorrow and didn’t want to be sluggish.

Akaski woke up and went to his early training. “Do another one of those backflips,” said Suzuki. Akaski tried to do the backflip, but he landed on the soft spot on his head. “What happened?” asked Suzuki. Akaski was already knocked out by the time Suzuki asked.

“Doctor, what happened?”

“He has a soft spot on his head from an old injury. I’m sorry, but he won’t be able to do Capoeira since he could seriously be injured if that spot gets kicked.”

Suzuki left the room in tears. ”I only got to train him for two weeks; he had so much potential.”

“Akaski, wake up, we have to go eat.” said Eiko as he violently shook Akaski.

“Thank god that was just a dream,” Akaski whispered to himself. “Tonchin Ramen Noodles! Thanks Suzuki you’re the best!”

“No problem, Akaski.”

After they had their breakfast, Akaski and Suzuki went to the forest and practiced their moves together. “Do a backflip Akaski.” Akaski landed the backflip perfectly. “Great! You’re learning quick.” Akaski had officially mastered the backflip. “This time try to kick in the air while doing the backflip; this is very important to learn if you want to win. You want to win right?”

“Yeah, obviously.”  They continued to practice on moves while Eiko was watching TV inside Suzuki’s house.

“Wow! Those guys are really are good at Jiu Jitsu!” As they did moves, Eiko tried to copy them. He got the idea down but couldn’t finish the whole move. Suzuki and Akaski walked in as Eiko was doing a move.

“Wow you really could be something…” said Suzuki as he watched. He was thinking about how fast Eiko was and his execution of the moves.

“Thanks, I’ve been watching this all day trying to learn.” Suzuki remembered that he knows someone who teaches Jiu Jitsu.

“Hey kid, I might know someone who can teach you a few moves to improve your skill, but it comes with a price.” It came with a huge price, private training was over $300 dollars! When Suzuki told Eiko what the price was, he almost fainted.

“If I’m getting that tutoring, I’d better get a job, or I’ll just have to keep learning from TV.”

“You won’t have to worry about that. I have you covered for all of it.” Eiko jumped for joy when he heard Suzuki was paying for his trainer.

One month after Eiko had gotten a trainer, he was competing in tournaments in small towns. “Go Eiko!” Akaski yelled as Eiko fought in his tournament. He was already 5-0. He is definitely going somewhere with this, Akaski thought to himself.  

Eiko won the fight; he was 6-0 now. “Good job Eiko!” Akaski yelled. After Eiko showered and dressed, they got in the car and went home. “Can we get ramen noodles from Tonchin? Pleeeaaase?”

“Alright, sure kid. You won’t get all of your nutrients if you eat here every day, you know?” They all went to the ramen shop and ate until they were full.

“Boy, I can’t wait for training tomorrow!” Akaski couldn’t wait either. Suzuki told him that he would learn a new move. That night he slept like he’d been awake for 30 hours straight.

“What a good day to be alive.” Akaski said as he woke up. Then he ran to the kitchen to eat his breakfast and head over to the forbidden forest with Suzuki. Akaski was wondering where Suzuki was, but he didn’t know he was three hours early!

Suzuki came running as fast as he could towards Akaski when he saw him. “Where have you been kid; we’ve been looking for you for two hours!” yelled Suzuki.

“Where have you been? I’ve been sitting here all day.”

“It’s 2:00 PM; Training isn’t for another hour, but since we’re here, we might as well start training.” Suzuki  taught Akaski the new move; it was to help him stay on his hands while his feet were in the air.

“Thanks, Suzuki, I really need this if I want to be a master like you.” They both did a review of their moves from the day before and went to the house again. “Give me the remote!”

“No, I just got here!”

“No, I got here later than you so I should watch!”

“Okay boys, settle down. Neither of you gets to watch.” Both of the boys gave dirty looks to each other and walked away. That day they didn’t speak a word to each other. When it was time to start training, Akaski got ready for his practice and ran out of the door as fast as he could.

“You’re late! Run two laps around the forest.” This was going to be a long practice for Akaski; the forest was two times the size of a running track.

“I don’t know if I’m gonna make it,” Akaski said as he was a quarter of a mile away from finishing. As he finished, he fell to his knees and panted heavily. He had never been worked so hard right at the start of training. “Why’d I have to run; that was the first time I was late in two months!”

“Don’t be late, and you won’t have to run.” Akaski gave a dirty look but kept it hidden so he didn’t have to run again. Suzuki taught Akaski a new move and how to do a front flip. “You learn very quickly. Perhaps we could learn some other moves since it’s still bright out.” Akaski was hopping up and down ready for the new move.  Suzuki ran up the tree two steps and backflipped off of it.

“Wow that’s really cool! I want to try!”

“The key to doing this is pushing off the tree as hard as possible with the foot you jump with.”

“Okay, Okay, let me do it now.” Akaski perfectly landed it on the first try.

“Wow! Good job, kid. If you did that, I guess it’s the end of training. Let's head home before it gets too dark.” They both wandered home in dark Tokyo; it truly was a beautiful place.

2 Months Later


Akaski was preparing for his first actual tournament. His 12th birthday was coming up, and he was ready. “Wow, there are a ton of people here. I’m a little nervous to go out there.”

“Don’t be nervous, I’m right behind you for support,” said Suzuki.

Akaski walked onto the mat shaking but confident in his abilities to win. His opponent was a few inches taller than he was but was quite skinny.  Match starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.


The match started! Akaski kicked his opponent in the ribs right off the bat. “This shouldn’t be too hard.” Akaski thought as he landed a few more kicks. But his opponent was just studying him before he attacked. Akaski didn’t want to show it, but he was hurting after a bit. “I don’t think I can handle him,” Akaski thought as he defended himself against his opponent’s attacks. Akaski lost focus mid-battle and saw a kick coming but it was too late. “Ugghhh!” Akaski grunted as he hit the ground hard.

“10! 9! 8! 7! 6! 5! 4! 3! 2! 1! Match!” The referee yelled as Akaski was unconscious. On the way back from the hospital, Akaski didn’t say anything. As soon as they got home, he went to bed. “That loss sure beat him up inside.” Eiko said.

“He’ll be fine in a week or two; that’s how I was on my first loss.”

In the morning Eiko was planning to go out in the mountains of Japan; he had to get ready to leave. He had been planning to go somewhere out there for a while, but then he met Akaski.


In the morning Eiko went out the door immediately leaving a note that read, I’ll be out for a while, don’t worry about me - Eiko. He walked out with a bag of fruits and drinks. He left to explore the mountains and oceans that border Japan.

The first day he explored, he settled in a small cave with nothing in it. When he woke up, he continued to walk along the roadside. Right as he looked at a mountain, he caught a building in the corner of his eye. “Great! Somewhere to sleep and eat.” As he walked over, he didn’t feel like this was somewhere to settle. It felt to him as if it was some sort of lair. He walked up to the door and knocked, “Is anyone in there? Hello?” A tall man who looked familiar opened the tall doors.

“Who are you? You don’t look like a member of the Shi, but you look awfully familiar.”

“I’m Eiko Shikamaru, and you?”

There was a long pause. “Nobu Shikamaru…”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.