sad story | Teen Ink

sad story

January 23, 2019
By Anonymous

Sad story

When I was 16 I was playing in the snow with my brothers and my cousins at my aunt's house while my parents were at work. Their house was built on a hill so it was good for sledding. I had gotten into a fight with my older brother and he pushed me down the left side of the hill towards the road. I went flying down the hill. It looked like I was doing summer salts all the way down. When I finally reached the bottom I hit my head on a rock and everything went black.

When I woke up I could see that my head was bleeding but my body wasn't moving. I didn't know why I could see myself laying there. I turned around to see my brothers at the top of the hill laughing while my cousins were screaming for help. My aunt came outside, saw me at the bottom of the hill not moving and called 911.

When the ambulance got there a cop car also pulled up. The cops asked my brothers what happened while the paramedics dragged me up the hill in a stretcher and put me into the ambulance. I guess my brothers told the cops that I fell down the hill playing around because they rode with me to the hospital. My body still wasn’t moving but like I could get up. I could also see and hear everything but I couldn’t touch anything. Then it hit me. “Am I a ghost?” I asked myself. I mean I have a pulse but I'm not moving.

When we got to the hospital I could see that my parents were already there. My brothers ran out of the ambulance and towards my parents. They told my parents that I tripped and it was an accident. But I can assure you this was no accident. The doctors rushed me to the room where you get the head scans. Apparently, I had a really bad brain bleed and they were not sure if I was going to ever wake up because it was so bad.


Fast forward 6 months

I woke up. I could actually feel my body after 2 months of being in a coma and I got released after 4 months of being in the hospital. I didn't remember the incident that landed me in the hospital. However, I do remember meeting a boy who was also in the hospital 2 weeks after I woke up.

___________________________________________________________________

My eyes were open, the sun was bright. I heard my parents walk in. they came and sat down next to me. They told me I had fallen down the hill at my aunt's house while playing in the snow and I hit my head pretty bad. My brothers came in and so did my cousins. My brothers told me that they were sorry about what happened. I was kind of confused about why they were apologizing but I was just happy to see them. Since I was out for so long the nurses had to spend 2 weeks helping me walk around the hospital to regain some strength.

I had just woken up from a nap when I saw a blonde haired boy looking around my room. I asked him who he was and why he was in my room. He said, “ Hi sorry, my names Jason and I'm 2 rooms down from you. I was walking by and I saw you had some books in here and I just wanted to see if you would mind lending them to a stranger.” I told him he could borrow whatever books he wanted if he told me why he was in the hospital and if he agreed to be friends with me because it gets pretty lonely in here. He agreed.

He sat down in the chair next to my bed and he told me that he had cancer and that he only had about 5 months left to live. He also told me that he was spending his last 5 months of life in the hospital. I felt bad for him. I knew I was getting out of here soon so I gave him my number so that when I got out we could still keep in touch. He took one of my books and then left. He came back again in the morning to return it then to borrowed another one.

______________________________________________________________

Jason and I had gotten really close in the last month in a half. He came to my room every night and we talked for hours. He ended up reading every single book I have in my room. We walked around the hospital and ate lunch together every day. I realized that I sort of had a crush on him. I don't know if I should tell him.

One of the nurses came into my room and told me that I was going home tomorrow. I was excited but I was also sad because that meant I was going to be leaving Jason here alone. Since we had been getting along so well I forgot that he had cancer. I walked to Jason's room to tell him the sort of good news. He told me he was happy that I was finally getting out of here but he was also sad that I was leaving because now he was going to be alone. I promised him i'd come back every day to see him.

It was the next day. The day I finally get to go home. My mom helped me pack up all my things then she went to go get the car. Jason walked into my room and he hugged me and said goodbye. I grabbed my bags and I walked him back to his room then I walked to the parking lot and put my things in the car. Later that night I got a text from Jason. He was just checking in to make sure I got home okay. We face timed for a few hours. We both ended up falling asleep on the phone.

The next morning I had my mom bring me to the hospital to see Jason. I got there before he woke up so I went to the cafe, got him some breakfast and then brought it back to his room and waited for him to wake up. He finally woke up at 10 am. He thanked me for getting him breakfast then asked me how it felt to sleep in my own bed. I told him it was pretty weird because I had just gotten used to the hospital beds.

Every day I went to see him in the hospital my crush on him got bigger. I then realized it was no longer a crush. I loved him. After 2 days of trying to figure out whether to tell him or not I finally did it. I texted him and I told him. He replied within 20 minutes and I was so nervous. I opened the text and he said he felt the same way. I don't think I've ever had a smile on my face as big as the one I got from reading that. I went to see him the next day to talk about what to do now. We both decided that since he was probably going to be dead in a month that it wouldn't be the best idea to start a relationship. I spent the next month visiting him twice a day. In the last week, he started getting worse. He was so sick.  We both knew what was coming but I wasn't ready for him to leave yet.

It was the day before the worst day of my life. I had spent the night at the hospital with Jason because we had been talking so long that by the time I realized what time it was I was way too tired to drive home. When we woke up it was around 2 pm. That was the latest we had ever slept in. I left to go get some food for the both of us. After we ate we took a walk around the hospital, sat in the roof for a few hours, then I headed home to change my clothes and stuff.

I was too tired to drive back to the hospital so I texted Jason and told him id be there 1st thing in the morning. He texted me back saying “okay, goodnight sleep well.” I texted him the same and went to bed.

I woke up at 8 am, got ready, ate breakfast and headed to the hospital. when I got to the hospital something seemed wrong. I walked into Jason's room and no one was there. The bed was empty. I walked to the nurse's desk and asked where he was and she told me that he died around 4 am. I was heartbroken. I knew that this day was coming but I wasn't ready for it. I drove home in tears and told my mom what happen. I didn't leave my bed for months.

It had been 4 months since Jason died and I hadn’t left my house since. But today was the day. The day I had to leave my house. The day I had to go see him lying there in a fancy box. The day I dreaded most.  



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.