The Dream of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Dream of a Lifetime

September 28, 2018
By kaykay_love, Laporte, Indiana
More by this author
kaykay_love, Laporte, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

                        The Dream of a Lifetime

On April 16 2018, a 13 year old girl named Abby had always had a hatred for horses ever since her parents had forced her to ride one and just when she was getting comfortable the horse named Shaggy kicked her off.  Then when she hit the ground she hit her back on a hard tree branch. She was in so much pain and hate horses even more, she never knew why the horse kicked her off though. Maybe it got scared or maybe it just didn't like her.

 

That night, of 54 degree weather, she had the most beautiful dream, she was amazing. She was saving the world. She was saving hearts. Her dream was that she was riding the most beautiful black stallion in the world, best trained, all around the world and every heart and every hand that had touched that horse or her had a healed heart. She didn't know what this meant. Was someone having to heal her heart soon? Was this horse waiting for her somewhere? Does she need to ride horses again? It kept her up throughout the night, wondering if she should try horseback riding one more time.

 

Abby woke up in a good mood she was excited to her what her mom would say when she asked to ride horses again.  Abby went down to the barn red kitchen in her median sized house, to the smell of scrambled eggs, crispy toast ,and fresh bacon just the way she likes her mornings. She sat down anxious to rant, her mother came to her and said, “What are you so excited about?” “ Bacon?” Abby started to laugh nervously and then said, “No mom, I just have something to tell you. But boy does bacon sound good right now (taking a piece of bacon and taking a big bite).” Her mother was very shocked about how much Abby was squirming in her seat so she asked, “What is so exciting that you can’t sit still.” Abby then hesitated for a second then smiled a weak smile and said, “ Well, I was thinking about giving horseback riding a go.” Abby’s mom dropped the fork she was holding dramatically and stuttered out, “ oh.. Okay. When? Why?” Abby giggled a little and told her the long story of her dream she had the night before. Her mother seemed relieved after the speech Abby had given. Abby’s mom then had asked, “ When do you want to ride?” Abby stated, “ Today…” Her mom slowly walked to the garage door near the kitchen. Huffed for a second and then said, “Let’s go!”

 

Abby was shocked at her mother's reaction and was nervous to get up and get into her mothers black Nissan. On there silent way to Faithful Horse ( a horseback riding place) Abby asked her mom why she was so upset. Her mom did a big huff and finally spit out. “ Your dad doesn't like the fact you wanted to ride horses and when you quit he loved it and i didnt, he had told me if i were to ever push you into riding again he would file a divorce.” Abby was trying to hold back tears, “ wait what? Mom you can't be serious. Why doesn't he want me to ride? Is he going to be mad that i'm going to today?  Mom if he is turn around right now. Never take me there again, please.” “Honey!” ,her mother shouts, “ Stop worrying, i'll figure something out and he doesn't want you to ride because he thinks i will leave him for the horse trainer. He said i used to flirt with him when i would take you, but that doesnt matter, this is for you not me.” “But.. But mom..”, Abby tried stampering out. “ But nothing, now go in there and Love what you do. I love you. Have fun.” Abby slowly walked away from the car in shock, she nervously went up to the barn and looked at all the horses. Someone came around the corner and spooked her by greeting themselves. She told them, “ sorry I was just looking around.” They said it's okay. Abby then asked what their name was and the lady said, “I'm Shirley.”

 

The day went on with lots of smiles and loving the fresh air and the care of horses. Abby didn't want to ever go home but she knew there was going to be an end sometime. Before Abby new it she was having to say goodbye to her new friend and her new horse.  She walked into her mother's car and Started weeping. Her mother was very concerned. She asked, “ What happened?” Abby stated, “Nothing, i'm just upset about dad. He's a jerk and I don't want you to get hurt.” Then they just hugged and cried in the driveway of Faithful Horses.

 

Its 9:36 pm and Abby and her mother get home, Abby’s dad is standing at the door waiting. Abby’s father says Abby go upstairs and don't come down till I say.” Abby looks at her mom, with trembling hands her mother shakes her head up and down with reassurance. Abby slowly walked upstairs and through herself on her bed. Abby wanted to cry but didn't want to make a sound so she hurried up and put her ear to the door so she could at least hear a mumble of what her father will say to her mother. Abby heard lots of yelling and then decided she couldn't hold her tears in anymore. She ran to her bed and tears came falling like a waterfall but there was nothing beautiful about this one.  She fell asleep crying and sniffing.


Abby woke up to a splitting headache. She realized what had happened last night and quickly got up from her bedroom and ran downstairs quicker than her feet could move. Her staircase lead her right down to her kitchen. She noticed her mother with her back turned sitting at the polished wood table. She sat down across from her mother, in a black metal chair she looked up and saw black stains on her face from her makeup. Her mother was slowly drinking coffee and didn't make a sound except the slurp of her lips piercing on the rim of her black coffee. Abby managed to spit out, “ Mhm...Mom?” Her mother stayed silent. The room was filled with negativity and sadness. Abby’s mother finally choked out, “ Abby you and I are moving to Texas with grams and pa.  I want you to go pack up some stuff that is important, things you need and all your clothing. Okay?” Abby stuttered, “ But… but what about dad. What about faithful horses? I can't leave this academy again mom, I can't leave my dream.” Abby's mom was now a little angry, “ Abby please, I told you this was going to happen, and it's okay.” Abby walked upstairs slowly and nervously to her room to started to pack.


It was a long drive to Texas, it was very dark outside and Abby was fake sleeping she couldn't sleep she was too depressed. She felt alone and shattered in that cold drive to her grandparents. The only thing that was warm to her body was the tears that slowly rolled down her cheeks every other second. When they got to the house it was 7:00 am the next morning Abby didn't sleep for exactly 31 hours. Her grandparents gave her a big hug and kissed her head lightly. She was too tired and depressed to hug back or to even think, her mind kept going back to her dads screaming. She couldn't take it she threw herself on the floor and cried her eyes out. Her grandmother draped her arms around herself and walked her up to the spare room. Abby woke up and walked downstairs regretting even being alive. She saw her grandmother and she told her to go outside, Abby asked, “why?” Her grandmother said, “ I have a present for you.” She walked outside to see a beautiful black stallion, just like the one in her dream, waiting for her. She was so happy. But the crazy part is this is all a dream. Abby finally actually woke up in her bed that morning of the night she had her dream about her horse and herself saving the world. Crying Abby went to go tell her mother about this crazy adventure of a dream.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.