Untitled (So far) | Teen Ink

Untitled (So far)

December 15, 2017
By lexiinwonderland BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska
More by this author
lexiinwonderland BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

GAY 

rologue

I like to think I’m a normal kid. I get good grades, I have a relatively normal family, I’ve got a few friends. Everything seemed to be fine...until:

“Ok class, please welcome our new student, All the way from California! Here is...Carson Brianson!” Ms.Jacobs sounded more like a game show host than an English Teacher in that moment.

I look up and...there he is: blonde hair, tan skin, bright green eyes...I must’ve been out for a while because when my brain decided to return to my head, my hearing detected snickering followed by…

“JUSTIN!” I swear I must’ve jumped five feet in the air. I guess she was pretty angry too, by the expression on her face.

“We’re introducing ourselves to our new peer, Mr.Michaels. Would you like to share something?” I knew it was more of a command than a question.


I surprisingly swallowed the humongous lump that seemed to be trapped in my throat and I stood up (even though I probably wasn’t supposed to).

“Um...My name is Justin Michaels, I’m 17 and a senior and oh...I don’t know...I like to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings from time to time and playing...Tomb Raider…”

More snickering came as I sat back down in my seat. The day just continued on and apparently since Ms.Jacobs has a sick sense of humor and enjoys rubbing salt on my festering embarrassment of a wound, she sat the new kid next to me. Oh joy!

Chapter 1

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. It sort of moved like a Cheetah on speed! So...usually the opposite of any regular school day. And I know, you’d think the day would be slower than usual considering the “New Kid”, is in two more of my classes. And I sit next to him in art. Yay!

My best friend Abbie Daphne Daniels has definitely helped, though. And yes, she prefers being called by her full name. But since Abbie is “100% Gay is Every Way” (that’s how she likes to put it), She can sympathize. Especially since I found out what Carson’s voice sounds like. Imagine an even more, velvety version of Morgan Freeman’s voice, with a little bit of a higher pitch, and put into a 16 year old boy. Yeah…

So here I sit, hearing Abiie go on and on about this new TV show that I think starts with a “G”, when he walks in.

“Oh...my...GOD!” Abbie gives me a puzzled expression and to which I point up at Carson strolling in.

“Talk. To. HIM!” Abbie oh-so-kindly suggests.

“Unlike you, Abbie Daphne Daniels, I’m not exactly what you call “confident”.” I used air quotes for emphasis.

“It doesn’t matter! Look, you’ve been out for three years, it’s time to learn the “Art of Flirt”.”

I don’t even think I can come up with a response to that, so I just let my expressions do the work for me.

“C’mon! Justin, when are you gonna stop being a-”

“I already know what you’re about to say, and just because I don’t devour it like an animal!, Doesn’t mean I am one!”

She just sticks her tongue out at me and examines the new kid’s features.

“He kinda looks like Michael McCoy, y’know, from the Zelda Fan Club.”

“Ok, three people going over timeline theories and name pronunciations in the Spanish classroom, doesn’t make it a “club,”

“Whatever, what I’m trying to say is, you need to get out there! This is your last year to be a normal teenager!” She exclaimed.

“And by “Normal Teenager” , you mean getting stoned and wasted at Kevin Connor’s party?” She gave me a glare about the reference to her chugging bourbon at Kevin Connor’s annual Winter Bash the previous year.

“I mean...having fun!, Falling in love with strangers!, making mistakes! C’mon Jus, you’re turning 18 in a month! Live a little!”

“Abbie, life isn’t a John Hughes movie! You’re not gonna see Molly Ringwald making out with Judd Nelson or...Kevin Bacon dancing in an abandoned warehouse!”

“Footloose wasn’t-” She attempted to interject until I cut her off.

“The point is, live is a high school movie! High School isn’t a high school movie! So get used to it!”

And with that, I left her with the silence that sat between us, and her thoughts...



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.