Long Road Home | Teen Ink

Long Road Home

By Eifflelight17 BRONZE, Indio, California
Eifflelight17 BRONZE, Indio, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Now that I look back, I don't know why I was so stressed about it all this time. Funny how sometimes you worry a lot about something and it turns out to be nothing.”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder

Author's note:

I was inspired by many contemporary issue novels that include bullying, depression, alcohol, etc. I found that perhaps writing a novel incorporating all could inspire others to be open-minded about situations like this. Who out of all your friends need help. 

Ever been told you’re not good enough? That you’re never gonna be something great? Of course you have. It’s life. Sometimes I feel I’m the only sensible person on my planet. Not even my family can know that. Or whatevers left of it anyways. Violet, my sister, has been in her room all day crying. Ever since that notice came. All she cares about is her wine stash. She’s forced to go to a rehab center next week or they’ll take me away. I wish they did. She won’t last a day.
“Nathan,” Violet barges in, “I’m sorry for today. I’ll make it up to you. How about I got to Backyard Burgers and get some takeout. Does that sound good?”
“Ever heard of the word knocking,” I say sarcastically.
“I know. I’m sorry. It’s just been a really stressful day for us both. I promise I will make it up to you,” Violet begs.
“You always say that. They never do. I just want my sister. Is that too hard to ask?” I question.
She comes over to my bed and sits next to me.
“I know I’ve been a horrible sister and I never thought about how you feel. I promise I’ll cut off the drinking. Hell I’ll buy a padlock for the cabinet if you want me to. Just no I will do anything to support us. When I start that cafe up things will turn out for the better.”
A tear rolls down my cheek and Violet rubs it off. I stay quiet and shrug.
“I won’t be long. I’ll get your favorite. A smoked bacon burger. You would always go crazy for those when you were seven,” She chuckles. I sit there emotionless.
“Love you,” she says as she exits my room. Yea sure. If you loved me you would’ve stopped drinking a long time ago. I think to myself. I lay on my bed, looking at the crack in the roof. I lay there, thinking, not sure what about but just...thinking.

A knock on the door. Who could be visiting us. I rub my eye and open the door. A man stood tall.
“Violet Ashton?” He asks
“May I help you?” I respond in a sarcastic tone.
“I’m from Child Protective Services. I’ve received some complaints from your neighbors,” He explains. My eyes widen as I well up. He hands me a notice.

NOTICE
We have received several complaints regarding: Alcohol usage.
It is in our regards that you: Receive rehabilitation for your situation.
If you do not participate, we: Have reason to repossess your sibling.

There was a date and time to go to the rehab session. I broke down in tears and the man shut the door. I ran to my room and nearly cried the whole day. Five hours pass and I finally calm down. I get up to clean the house. I throw out every empty wine bottle. I look at my wine cabinet and shudder. I walk to Nathan’s room and go inside without knocking.
“Nathan?” I sigh. “I’m sorry for today. I’ll make it up to you. How about I got to Backyard Burgers and get some takeout. Does that sound good?”
“Ever heard of knocking?” He replies sarcastically. I look down disappointed.
“I know. I’m sorry. It’s just been a really stressful day for us both. I promise I will make it up to you,” I beg.
Nathan begins, “You always say that. They never do. I just want my sister. Is that too hard to ask?” I nearly broke down in front of him. I had to think positive. I head over to his bed and I sit next to him.
I wipe the tear that rolled down his cheek. I wanted to cry with him. I tell him I’m going to get his favorite burger. He doesn’t respond. I exit the room saying I love him. I get in my car still a bit hungover. I turn on the ignition and drive to Backyard Burgers. When I order I scramble through my wallet for loose change. I was off by a nickel but thankfully the cashier let me off.
I return home and Nathan get’s his burger. As he tries to go to his room I stop him.
“Let’s eat together for once. Please?” I ask him kindly. He sighs and stumbles over to the table. I try to cheer him up but he barely speaks. It was a quiet dinner. Nathan finishes his burger and rushes off to his room.
“Love yo-” I try to say before I hear the door slam. I want to make things right for me and Nathan. Just how mom and dad wanted.