I told her not to come | Teen Ink

I told her not to come

By mdslane BRONZE, Layton, Utah
mdslane BRONZE, Layton, Utah

Author's note:

It was for a class but it is about how I feel about an old friend and what I think goes through his head. And how somethings happening so easily.

Finally, I stop. I then grab the doorknob and turn it. I hear the creak of the hinges as I push the door open. She lays in a ball alone, crying. I told her not to come.

---------------------------------------------

I haven’t always been this upstanding guy. I mean no one is ever born this awesome, you have to work for it. My name is Scott, Scott Wilds -- There’s no name better than that. I’m a senior in high school and I have every girl I have ever met wrapped around my finger. You see I have learned how to keep them, I guess, in love with me. It’s so easy, all you have to do is give them a compliment (with a smile on your face) and focus on them while they talk. Like making eye contact and acting as though you really want to hear what they have to say. That’s how you get them to be your follower.
“Hey, Scott.” A friend calls out.
“What’s up Brian?” I reply. Brian has been my pal since day one and he’s the one who helped me get to where I am (he showed me the easy road).
“There’s going to be a party tonight at my house.”
“And?” I know there’s more to this.
“And, I found someone for you.” Brian states, “Sam says she’s going to get her to come.”
A small grin appears on my face. “Who is it?” I chime, I haven’t been with a girl for so long and I’m ready to get back in the game.
“You know the newish girl, Harper?”
“Harper Nielson?” The smile leaves my face.
“Yeah, her! That’s the one. Someone told me she used to live here but moved to Canada in like 7th grade or something like that. Then moved back here for her senior year.”
“Yeah, she lives with her aunt.”
“Really? How do you know?”
“When she lived here before we were good friends but we haven’t really talked since she moved away.” I explain, “I mean we did once in class but that’s it. I don’t think I want her, man.” Harper’s a good person I don’t want to ruin that, I think.
“If you won’t, I will!” Brian grins, his face wrinkles and he looks five years older.
“No you won’t,” I bark, which shocks both Brian and me. I have never said no to letting Brian having my undesirables.
Brian’s eyes are a little wide and I watch him blink a few times, stunned at what I said. I have no idea what my face shows but I need to cover my tracks.
“I’m joking,” I chuckle, “Go ahead and have your fun.” The words taste vile as they leave my mouth.
“Sweet!” Brian smiles, “So I will see you tonight then?”
“Yeah, and I will see you later.”
“With Harper!”
“Right,” I wave then say under my breath, “With Harper.”
I begin to head to my car since the day is done. I got to my car when Harper appears, she is walking by me. It looks like she is walking home. “Hey, Harper!” What am I doing?
Harper’s head jerks up and she turns to me with a bit of shock, but then she puts a smile on her face and waves. “Hey!” Her voice sang out but she continues walking.
I hesitate on what to say. “Do you need a ride?”
“No, it’s okay I like walking. Thank you though.” She still doesn’t stop. Harper turns and begins walk backward and a bit slower.
I forgot she hates getting rides, I think, But I need to talk to her. “Come on, let me give you a ride,” I smirk and wave her over.
Harper stops and looks around as though unsure.
“You should know that I’m as stubborn as you are.”
“Fine,” Harper gave in, “Thank you.”
We get into my car and I pull out of the parking lot.
“So I hear that you are going to the party tonight.” I began, “With Sam.”
“Yeah, she told me that it will help me get more friends,” Harper says with annoyance. “Are you going?”
“Of course, duh. But I don’t think you should go.”
Harper’s stunned, “Why not? You’re going.”
I pinch my lips before speaking, “Because all my friends are going to be there and…”
“And what? Aren’t we friends?”
“I have all the friends I need,” I state, “And I don’t want them to think I’m with you.”
“With me or know me?” Harper wonders. “You know what? You turned into a coward.”
“I’m not a coward--”
“Yes, you are.” Harper’s voice raises, “You’re hiding who you really are to stay on your high horse. I’m going to that party and I will make more friends and you won’t be one of them!” Harper opens the door before I stop the car in front of her house, “Thank you for the ride.” She slams the door behind her and I watch her storm off.
“Crap.”

The time of the party comes and I’m one of the first at Brian’s House. I stand near the door and I watch everyone who comes into the house, some stop and talk to me and then move into the kitchen. Soon the house is packed with people and there’s a faint sound of music. I begin to think that Harper may have changed her mind about the party, but that’s when she enters. I push through the sea of people and stretch my hand out just in time to grab Harper’s wrist.
She stops and turns to see me, the smile that was on her face fades and her eyes show sorrow.
“Go home, Harper,” I say as I question the sadness I see.
“Why don't you want me to be here so badly?” Harper hisses, as she pulled her arm free of my grip.
I don’t answer. I don’t know how.
Harper stomps off.
I watch her small figure move and stop next to another. Brian’s.
Brian and Harper talk for a bit then Brian’s arm gets “bumped” and he spills his drink on her. We’ve done this before, next he will take her to his room so she can borrow a dry shirt from him.
My eyes stay locked on them as they go up the stairs. A few minutes later I find myself standing outside Brian’s door. I hear their muffled voices through the door.
“Brian, stop,” Harper says.
“Don’t worry no one will come in.” Brian insures her.
“That’s not it, I don’t do this.”
“You will in a moment.”
“Brian!” Harper screams and I hear a slap.
I hear the bed squeak, I have to stop him somehow. I try the doorknob, it’s locked. So I knock, “Hey, Brian someone threw up on the couch, and I can’t find the cleaner?”
I hear some shuffling. A few minutes later someone jiggles the doorknob, and it swings open.
Brian stands there, his left cheek red. Harper must have hit him.
I can’t help but smile.
“Scott this is a bit of a bad moment,” Brian says frustrated as he steps out of the room,  closing the door behind him. “She is more fun than I thought.”
I don’t know what overcame me but I took my hand and hit Brian in the face, hard. He falls over. Then kick him in the stomach again and again.
Brian was now laying on a ground coughing with his arms wrapped around himself.
Finally, I stop. I then grab the doorknob and turn it. I hear the creak of the hinges as I push the door open.  She lays in a ball alone, crying. I told her not to come.