Queen | Teen Ink

Queen

By cristynnn__, booneville, Mississippi
cristynnn__, Booneville, Mississippi

Author's note:

My story is about a girl who is trying to decide if she wants to take the throne.

My story is about a girl who is trying to decide if she wants to take the throneI’m going back in a couple of weeks, because my grandmother has asked me to attend the royal dinner for the royal family, and guest of honors. It was an honor to be able to go to this, because ever since I was a little girl my dad would talk about getting to go to it, but he always told me I had to become the princess before I did. It was a major decision for me and my family. My mother wanted me to stay and finish school and get a college degree, but my grandmother wanted me to take her position. Then one day, as I was going through my father's journals, I found a note that was written to me from my father.
“Mom did you know about this letter?”
“Mia I was going to tell you about the letter, but I didn’t want it to affect the way you were thinking about your life.”
The letter reads:
“Dear Mia,
     I’ve been thinking about this for a long time, and I just want you to know how proud I am of you. You have become the lady that I knew you would. You know how much it would mean to me if you took the throne, but I also know that's not your dreams for your life, but I’m hoping you could reconsider when you find out that I’ve made it to where you could go to the royal dinner with your grandmother. It’s a very formal matter. If you look in the boxes from the attic there is a journal that I got for you personally, and the lock you will have to get from your grandmother. I love you.
Sincerely,
Your father
.It’s been a year after I found that letter, nothing has really changed. I still haven’t decided to take the throne, but my mother has finally decided that it wouldn't be so bad if I did. She knows how much my father loved being the Prince, and his only dream other than for me to follow in his footsteps was that he would become King of England. He didn’t make it to that point in his life, but he loved being the Prince, and he loved his life. Through his years he had a lot of accomplishments he had a doctor's degree, but he felt like he was called to the throne instead.
It’s a week later and it’s the day I leave for England Joe ,grandmother's body guard, came and picked me up in our private plane. I had never been in the family plane, but dad always talked about it being very big and could fit a lot of people. It’s a three hour flight from Tree Hill to England and it’s the first time I have ever met Joe, and that gives u time to talk about what I need to expect for the dinner.
We finally arrived in England where there were crowds of people lined up to see me come in. It was like I was already the princess. The people here treated me with kindness, they got me whatever I needed. When I finally got to the palace the whole crew and my grandmother were waiting for me, but what I didn't know was that she had made me my own room in the palace hoping that one day I would be living there. It was a beautiful room and the biggest closet ever, everything in my closet had it’s own little space like my crown, shoes, jewelry, etc. I was very surprised at what the crew had put together for me. It was like a dream come true to me.
It was finally the night of the big dinner I had been waiting for. I was very nervous and didn’t know what to expect even after everything my grandmother and Joe told me. Everything was going perfect until when I put on my dress it had a big hole in it from the sewing machine. We worked for the next few hours on my hair and makeup while everyone looked for a new dress for the dinner. My favorite hair dresser Sia came to do my hair for the dinner. Sia is a family friend he always does grandmother’s hair and makeup for all her special events. Sia is the guy who transformed me to a beautiful girl when I found out that I was in line for the throne.
When we were finally done with everything it was time for the dinner. We went to the dining hall of the palace where a enormous table was set up for the dinner. There was a special place marked with my name on it. After everyone showed up, we took our seats. Joe made a toast to me for joining us for the royal dinner. As we sat around eating everyone was asking me if I was going to take the throne when my grandmother stepped down. They all encouraged me to, and told me I would make a fine queen for England.
After the dinner was over my grandmother and I went back to my room, because she said she had something important to give me.
“Mia I’ve been saving this for a long time hoping one day you would rethink your decision about becoming queen, and finally you did.”
It was her very first crown that she had worn when she became Princess of England she kept it all this time hoping that one day my father would have a daughter to take her place, in her dreams come true.
My grandmother has influenced me a lot over this time. As I try to decide whether or not I'm going to take the throne. I have so many people wanting me to, but I just don't know whether or not I should do it. My father would love it if I would and so would my grandmother.
My mother and I have come to the agreement to let me stay in England for the rest of the year until I decide what I'm going to do. The board is having a meeting today to make positive if I decide to that I wouldn't be breaking any laws or anything. The only thing they are worried about 
that most queens are married, and I'm not. The board told my grandmother that there would have to be an arranged marriage, but somehow she talked them out of that matter. Now if I decide to take it it's mine.

“Grandma, I've done a lot of thinking and I believe this is what my father would want me to do so I'm going to accept it.”
“I'm so proud of the young lady you have came to be, and I can't wait to see what great thing you will do to England.”
So, from that day on my whole life contained of preparing for my grandmother to step down, and for me to step up. I was filled with new dresses, having to redo my hair, having new crowns, new shoes, new everything really. It was like you were starting your life over. My grandmother told me she wanted to give me some advice before the royal event.
“Mia I just want you to know again how very proud of you I am, and how proud your dad would be of you, you have became a fine young lady and will make an outstanding queen.”
“Thanks, Grandma. I’m really nervous about stepping up. When I accepted he role as princess I didn’t think it would have so much responsibility, but now I’m even more nervous about taking queen.”
“You will be fine, we have talked about everything you need to know before the event, you are very prepared.”
“Thanks, Grandma. I love you.”
“I love you even more Mia.”
As I get ready for the event I look over and see my father’s note sitting there and I just happened to read it again, it’s been awhile since I have. I took a moment to think about when he said “it would mean the world to me if you would take my place” I just want him to know how happy I am that I’ve decided to. Nothing would make me happier than to follow in my father’s footsteps.
As we enter into the event there’s people after people lined up. As the prime minister announces my grandmother giving up the throne.
She looks at me and says, “You ready?”
“Yes.”
As we stand there getting ready he says, “Ladies and gentlemen of England I now announce to you Mia Marie James II Queen of England.”