Love, Me. | Teen Ink

Love, Me.

By torithrash, Lena, Mississippi
torithrash, Lena, Mississippi

Eat, Read, Sleep, Love Me.

Author's note:

Teen romance taken to a new level, pieces of my dreams and an idle mind inspired me to write this short novel. 

“Why are inspections so early?” Ming had spent the night at my house and I woke her up while I was getting ready.
“Because chief wants us to be prepared for the military, if we choose to go.”
“Whatever, it isn’t even 7a.m. See you at school.”
“Okay. I am just happy this is one of my last inspections during school.” It was May, and there were only three weeks left until summer. I had already bought a new swimsuit and was ready for the cruise my mom and I go on every year. Excitement flooded my mind as I thought about heading to the Bahamas for a week. 

I got to school twenty minutes before inspection at 7:15. When I got there, Robert had been talking to Chief about something important, and I found out what after inspection.
“Luke, did you mess up Jones’s uniform?”
“Yes, chief.”
“Why, cadet?”
“It was an accident, sir. My lunch fell out of my hands when I bumped into him.”
“Well, you have until Friday to have it back to him in perfect condition, cadet.”
“Sir, yes sir.” I was utterly embarrassed that he would do that in front of everyone, considering I told him this at home after it happened. Afterwards, Robert gave me his shirt and said something about he was allergic to something, but I was really daydreaming about the way his eyes were deep pools of blue.
“Are you listening?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Then, what did I say?”
“You are allergic to Oxi Clean and do not dry the shirt. In fact, I should just get it dry cleaned.” “Correct. Carry on.” Oh gosh, I was right. Wow. Something finally worked in my favor.  

Robert approached me Friday during lunch and I was shocked. “Did you get my shirt cleaned?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Don’t call me that outside of class, okay Ash? I really don’t like that. Call me Rob.”
“Okay, Rob. It is in chief’s classroom.” He went back to his table and I was freaking out. All of my friends were so excited and so was I. He actually knows I exist! 
After lunch, I was at my locker getting my Biology and Algebra books out, and when I closed my door, Robert Jones was standing there, watching me. I dropped my book on my foot and shrieked. “Want me to carry those for you?”
“I definitely will not stop you,” I giggled.
“Which room?”
“204, Mr. Smith’s lab.” He walked me to class and then, when he was handing me my books, he leaned down and kissed me. I smiled awkwardly as he said goodbye and walked away. Then, I went in the room and told Ming everything that just happened. She was at a loss for words. After class, I met up with Ali and Jess for Algebra, and told them what happened. They were ecstatic and happy. During class, our group chat was blowing up asking about the kiss and every detail. 
After 6th period, he came up to me in the courtyard. I smiled like a complete idiot and blushed as red as a tomato. Rob said, “Hey girl. Or would you prefer babe? It sounds better.”
“Sure, babe.”
“Alright babe, pick you up at 7 tonight?”
“Okay, Rob. Can you give me a ride home today? My car broke down yesterday and I don’t want to ride the bus.”
“Sure. See you in a few.”  I am so happy that Coach Darby wasn’t there to make us practice and get all nasty today because I was riding home with Rob. 

After Rob dropped me off, Ali and Jess were already at my house, so Ali drove us back up to the school to get my car and then went to pick up Ming. So by 4 o’clock, I was hating almost everything I owned. “Why don’t you wear the crazy hot dress we got you for your birthday?” asked Jess. She, Ali, and Ming, had purchased a $100 dress for me for my birthday that I loved. I had put it in the back of my closet, waiting for that special day to wear it. “You’re right. I had to hide it from my cousin, Katie, when she came over, and forgot about it.” I came out of the bathroom in a dress that fit me perfectly everywhere, and was the perfect length. Ming painted my nails, Ali did my hair, and Jess calmed me down while stalking his Instagram to see what kind of stuff that he is in to. With my loosely braided bun, black dress, french manicured nails, and simple makeup, I was ready to go. At 6:55, Robert arrived and we left promptly before my brother got downstairs.  

He pulled up at the beach next to the infamous Santa Monica Pier, and we headed in for some fun. We rode the ferris wheel and when we were at the top, he kissed me again. When we left the pier, we walked down the beach and it appeared that someone had abandoned a not even touched picnic. Turns out, Rob had set the whole thing up. We ate some turkey, potato salad, and rolls.
As the sun set on the water, the pier was playing the song “Flashlight.” He looked me in the eyes and said, “Ashley Grace Luke, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?”
“Why, Robert Michael Jones, I would love to,” I said. Then, he slowly leaned in and we kissed, and not a quick short kiss; we kissed for a long time until the sun was completely set. After our picnic, it was 9 o’clock and I had to get home. When he dropped me off, I went up to my room, and immediately four­way called my friends.

“OMG! That is so sweet!” Ali exclaimed.

“Was the food good?” asked Jess.

“Yay. Ash finally has a boyfriend,” said Ming.

After a few weeks of cute dates and a half­dozen bouquets sent to my house, I got a letter in the mail:
“Dear Ashley, 
Listen, Babe. I have been trying to figure out a way to tell you this for a little while and thought this would be best. My dad got a new job in Florida, and we are all moving with him. It makes me really sad to have to leave you, but we can still talk to each other. So, write me back at
the following address. 
613 Halton Blvd.
Fort Pierce, Florida 34979.

Love,
Me”
I am in shock, upset at him and his dad, regretting everything we have done together. But at the same time, I feel so special that he would do it this way. So, after a bubble bath and a nap, I sat down and wrote him back: 

“Dear Rob, 
I am upset and saddened that you have to move across the country, to Fort Pierce. I hope that during breaks we can visit each other and have a strong relationship together. I am putting all my trust in you and you can trust me to keep faithful to you. Even though we have only been
together three weeks, I hope we can sustain a loyal relationship. 
Love, 
Me.”

Okay. I called my friends and cried and they brought over Ben and Jerry’s, like 20 cartons, so we ate ice cream and watched Netflix until 3a.m. Sometimes I think they know me too well. The next day we went to the mall, and I bought Rob this super cute Polo shirt and I got a girl one in the same color. We got our nails done, eyebrows waxed, and I got a dress for the Military Ball at the school for JROTC members every summer. Because Rob leaves the week before the dance, I am taking my dad. He served ten years in the navy. 
When I got home, I found a box and I put a bottle of my favorite perfume and my favorite bracelet in it with his sweater. I also had Ming paint a sign that says “Love, Me” on it and I put it in the box as well. I labeled it to the address he gave me. I took it to the post office and mailed it, with high hopes it would be there when he got there. I called his dad and told him, and asked him to put it on his bed. 
The day before he was supposed to leave, he picked me up in a limousine, and we rode around the city. For dinner, we ate at FIG, a crazy expensive restaurant, which is his favorite. After dinner, we just walked around the city doing crazy teenager things and having fun. We went to the arcade, walked to the pier and took crazy selfies, and walked on the beach where we had our first date. Then I saw it, “I LOVE YOU ASH. FOREVER AND ALWAYS, ” was written in the sand where we had our first picnic. Then, right in front of me, he pulled something out of his pocket. He stepped up onto the sidewalk and got on both knees, even with me, and said, “Ashley Grace Luke, I love you. I know you don’t wear much jewelry, so…” as he opened the box, I saw there was a necklace with a heart pendant, “Would you accept this promise necklace as a symbol of my love for you?” I started to cry, tears staining my cheeks.
“Yes. I love you, too, and don’t want to risk losing you. I love you.” As he put the necklace around my neck he kissed my neck, knowing that it drives me crazy.
“I love you more,” he said.
“I love you the most,” I responded.
“Impossible.”
“Way possible.” This is why I love him. I really love him. I want him to be mine.
“Do you want to do something that only people in love do?”
“What?!”I had second thoughts about this.
“No. Not that. I meant let’s go to my house and watch Netflix and eat cookies and drink milkshakes until midnight.” It was only 9, so I called my mom and she said okay.
“Let’s go. But how? Neither of us has our car.” So, we ended up taking a cab back to his house, which was better than walking. 
When we got to his house, his mom was up and his sisters were out, so we just sat in the living room. He made me a milkshake and brought me some cookie straws, which I love. Around one of my cookies though, was a ring. It had little diamonds all across the front and engraved on the inside was “forever and always.” I started crying and he came back and said, “Do you like it?”
“Like it? I love it! I love you. Thanks, babe.” He put it on my finger and after an hour, he took me home. I said, “Thanks, babe. I had a lovely night with you and hope you come see me tomorrow.” His flight wasn’t until 9 o’clock the next night, so he said okay. 
The next morning, at six, he showed up at my house. He was holding a box with holes in it, but I didn’t think much about it until he took it up to my room. “Open it.”
“Okay, okay, I Will,” I said happily. It was a puppy. One of the really fluffy ones, like I wanted. “Babe, you didn’t have to. I swear. This is too sweet.”
“I know. I just wanted you to have something that we had, and Beth brought it home last night, but we couldn’t keep it. I thought you would want it.”
“Thanks.” I picked him up and played with him until I decided on a name. “Smoke.” I always liked dogs with cool names, so this seemed perfect.
“That is perfect.” He seemed to like it, and so we took him to Pet Smart, and got him a collar and a tag. Then, we went to the park to let Smoke walk and play a little bit. He seemed to like me, which was good.
After that, we took him home and set up a crate that we gotten in the corner of my room. We put him in it to see if he liked it. He just curled up and went to sleep in his bed. We poured him some food and water, and just sat in my room watching movies. We ordered pizza.  We barely moved except to take Smoke to the bathroom. We watched Season 1 of Grey’s Anatomy, and napped until 7. I was so sad when he left. We were both crying and kissing and hugging and sad. When he finally left, I went up to my room, curled up in a ball, and cried my eyes out. We texted each other until I fell asleep. When he got there, he called me. It was five in the morning, but it was nine there. He had gotten my care package, and he loved it. We talked all day that weekend.

He called me that Monday to make sure I had gotten up to go to inspection. I was totally crushed going to a summer inspection and not seeing him. I called him after and we video chatted the rest of the day. Jess texted me that afternoon and asked if I wanted to hang out that night. I said yes, and we went to a Taylor Swift beach concert. I called Rob and told him, but he told me to relax and have fun with my friends. So, I danced and sang along, having fun. Afterwards, we played on the beach until after dark.  

The day of the dance was hectic. I had to go pick up my dad’s uniform from the dry cleaners, have my nails redone, and take Smoke to the groomers. I was so relieved when I finally had a moment of rest when I got home that afternoon. I took a shower and Ali showed up about four to fix my hair. I was so happy with my hair, a low side bun with my strapless white dress.
I sent Rob a picture of my entire look, and he sent me back a picture in a tux, holding a sign saying, “Will you go the dance with me?” I sent back a yes, thinking he was kidding, and then my doorbell rang. I thought it was my dad, because he doesn’t live with us anymore. When I opened the door, Rob was standing there with a corsage, smiling. I was so shocked that I started crying ­­ thank you Revlon for waterproof makeup!
It was 6:30, and the dance started at 7, so we went ahead and left. When we got to the base, the ball was set up beautifully. A red carpet led down the stairs, and stars were hanging from the ceiling. I was in awe, and then they served us dinner. After eating, Rob and I danced. They crowned couple of the night, and we won. Then, during a slow song, they played our song,
“Flashlight”. We danced the night away, having a lot of fun and talking and laughing. 
He was staying in town the next two days, so I was already planning in my head. The next morning, we took Smoke to the beach and stayed there all morning. Then, we dropped him off a doggie daycare, and went shopping. His new job as an assistant to a lawyer must pay pretty well, because he bought a lot of stuff. We got ice cream at the mall, and when we left the mall, we went to the movies to see “Minions.” It was a great day, and I would definitely do it again. The next day, we decided to chill and stay at my house all day. We watched TV and ate junk food all day with Smoke sitting in my lap. It was perfect, like our own little family. 
Rob had to leave that night, and of course I was upset, but I was okay. He had gotten accepted into UCLA, and was moving back in the fall, which was great. I drove him to the airport, and he offered me a flight to Florida, but I didn’t have anything or my parents’ permission to go across the country. He said okay. I left after he went inside and I went home. Jess came over, and we stalked celebrities online and ate pizza. It was a good week until Friday.

All I remember was getting in my car after leaving the dog park, and calling my mom. I woke up in ICU, wanting my mom and dad. I wanted out of that bed but I was wired up to every machine and couldn’t move. I tried to talk and couldn’t. The nurse came in and said not to try to do anything, even speak because I had been in a terrible wreck, and almost died. Apparently, a drunk driver ran a red light and totaled my car. I could move my hands, but my arm was broken on one side, and my opposite shoulder was shattered. About an hour later, my mom showed up with my brother, who brought me soup and fed it to me. I wished Rob was here, I miss him and I wonder if he knows about the wreck. The next day, my dad brought someone with him, I couldn’t tell who, and at first they weren’t going to let him in, but then my dad talked to them and it was okay. The boy was very muscular, and had a crew cut hair style. But when I saw the giant bouquet and teddy bear, I immediately knew it was him. He flew across the country to see me, and didn’t leave my side. 
I was wondering about Smoke, so I took his phone and pointed to picture of him.  He died in the car wreck. I had just taken him to the park for a walk. This was the first time I cried in the hospital, and it was because of my puppy. 
Rob asked the nurse if I had physically improved any, and she said slightly. I had regained mobility in my arms, but I could still barely speak. I couldn’t even move my legs. After several weeks, it was time for school to start back. 

I got released for school, but had to go to therapy every day after school. I was in a wheelchair, but I stayed in JROTC for the year. My mom dressed me, fixed my hair, and did my make up every morning. I was able to speak at a low volume, so I did not get called on in class. Rob started at UCLA, and came to my house every day. He drove me to school every morning, and picked me up after. I told him he didn’t have to, but he chose to. I was getting frustrated at my wheelchair because I had to move my bedroom downstairs, had to have help getting in and out of the bathtub, and basically doing anything. 
I decided when I went back to therapy that I wanted to try standing up and walking without help.
I was determined, even though they said I probably would never would be able to. I stood up for
30 seconds then sat back down. I did this every day for a week. I decided I wanted to try to walk. I took a step and sat down. Every day I took one more step. I had to use a walking cane at first, but then I quit using it except during therapy, where I was made to. I still used my wheelchair at school, but could stand up and sit in a desk. My voice progressively got better, and by Christmas, everything was almost back to normal. 
Rob didn’t come over as much, but I was okay with it. He had exams, and so did I. Spring break came around and I was better, still occasionally having to sit and rest, which I was okay with. I was proud of myself though. They said I may never be able to walk normally again or be normal again, but here I am. I got to walk across the stage to receive my diploma, and was valedictorian of my class. I even had a higher final grade in JROTC than Rob did, and he was jealous. 

That summer, Rob was around more, and we stayed together a lot. He respected my values though, which were in the name of God. I went to Florida for the first time that summer and it was amazing. We went to the beach almost every day.
The week we went to Disney World, though, I will never forget. I had just gotten news that I had been accepted into nursing school, which I was so happy for. While we were at Disney World, they had a fireworks show, and we went to see it. About half way through, there was a special one. It said, “Ash, Marry Me!” I figured it was someone else until I saw him down on one knee holding a ring. “Ashley Grace Luke, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” I started crying. I sobbed so much my eyes were puffy, but I still managed to say yes. After everything we had been through, it felt right and I knew we were meant to be. The ring was perfect, and it was engraved on the inside. It read, “Where all your dreams come true.” It was absolutely perfect. That night, I couldn’t sleep. I was so excited. My mom was aware he was going to propose, and she actually managed to keep it a secret from me. It was a night I will never forget. 
The next day, we went to Disney again, but spent most of the time alone. We rode every ride, and kissed at every camera spot we could. He had someone photograph the proposal, and we picked up the pictures that day, too. They were amazing. We discussed when we would want to have the wedding, and decided to wait until we both finished college so we could afford a nice wedding. 

When I got home, I immediately called my best friends and we met up for lunch. “When do you want to have the wedding?”
They started chatting about it and I said, “We want to wait until I finish college. I have two years to go.” I wanted to talk about college and stuff but they were just obsessed with a wedding.
“I want Jared to propose to me…” said Ali. They had been dating for three years and he still hasn’t popped the question, but I told her to give it time.
“I got into the Art Institute,” Ming said excitedly. She was an amazing artist and painter. We had both planned to go, but I didn’t get accepted. So I decided to go UCLA for Physical Therapy.
“I was accepted to USC and Arizona State, but I can’t decide…” said Jess. She wanted to play softball and got a scholarship to USC, but also wants to go to medical school in Arizona. Ali got into cosmetology school, which was in Sacramento. It was her dream to have her own salon.
“Just promise me that we will always stay close,” I said. 

It had been a month since we got engaged, and I was going to go look at a house in Los Angeles for us to have, as we are in school. I got there, and then an alert popped up on my phone,
“Shooting at UCLA. Several dead. Shooter still on the loose.” I was scared because Rob was in class, so I called him. No answer. I called a second time and a different man answered, “Hello.”
“Hi, this is Robert Jones’s fiancé. Is he there?”
“Ma’am, I am afraid your boyfriend has been shot and is dead. I am extremely sorry for your loss.” I hung up. I was sitting in my car crying. I couldn’t even move. About 30 minutes later, I decided I had to drive home, but instead I went over to Jess’s house.
“Oh my gosh. I am so sorry, Ash. You can stay here as long as you want. Have you called his folks?” Jess tried to comfort me. 
“No, I couldn’t do anything but drive here.” I managed to say through my sobs. 
“Okay. Go ahead and call his mom and tell her. She can fly out here tonight.” I did, and we were sobbing on both ends of the phone. I couldn’t say anything else to Jess. I went to her backyard and just laid down and cried. Ming and Ali came over with ice cream and cried with me. The day of his funeral, I sat down and wrote a letter. 
“Hey, Rob. This is me. Just saying how much I miss you. You died by being shot through the chest. I can barely bring myself to write this, but I know you would do the same. I love you, and truly wanted to marry you. Our love was greater than anything I had ever seen, stronger than gravity, and better than more sought after than gold. I hope you knew how much I love you, and that love will never go away. I never take off my ring, and I bought tickets to go on a Disney Cruise for Christmas. I know you would want me to take my friends, and I will, for you.
I truly love you. Not a second goes by that I don’t think of you.
Love, Me.”