Friends Or Enemies? | Teen Ink

Friends Or Enemies?

By CoolGirl007, Cupertino, California
CoolGirl007, Cupertino, California

February 2nd, 2015

Dear Diary,
Today was another mediocre day at Millenium Middle School. Hello, I am Courtney Catara and I am 13 years old. It was another monotonous lunch, and the only thing that made it enjoyable, other than the food, was my best friend, Sara. I waved over to Sara, who was coming from science class. Sara slumped down and sat next to me. I opened my lunch and saw that I got pizza again. I started eating and noticed that Sara hadn't opened her lunch yet.

“Come on, Sara. Open your lunch. What do you have?”

I already knew what she was going to have - a ham and cheese sandwich.

Sara was quiet for about 5 minutes and then she blurted, “I’m moving.”

“When? Where? Why?”, I yelled, realizing that I’m making Sara feel worse.

“When? Where? Why?”, I repeated in a quieter voice.

“I’m moving to Florida after school tomorrow. I have to move because Robert, a cowboy, proposed to my mom. We’re moving into his house in Florida.”, Sara responded glumly.

“Well then, tomorrow I’m going to make the best day ever for you!”, I said happily, which seemed to cheer Sara up.

February 3rd, 2015
Dear Diary,
Today was my last day with Sara. I sat down on a bench in our usual meeting area, in front of Room 3, for our last lunch together. I saw Sara coming from her last science class, and waved to her. She waved back and sat down next to me.

“Before we start eating, I have something for you.”, I said, as I pulled out a card out from my backpack.

I found the design of the card from Viewtube, a more popular version of Youtube. I designed the card to look like a present waiting to be opened and inside I wrote a note and attached a necklace I purchased from J.J. Jewelers. Sara opened the card and read aloud the note, which said, “Sara, you will always be in my heart. I will remember you forever. You and I will always be friends, so let the attached necklace be a reminder of us.” Sara pulled out the necklace, noticing that the center bead was only half of a heart.

She asked, “Why does this necklace have only half of the heart?”

“Because of this.”, I responded as I pulled out my necklace from underneath my T-shirt.

Combined, the 2 halves made a full heart which said BEST FRIENDS FOREVER.

“Aww, thank you, Courtney!”, Sara said as she puts on the necklace.

After that, we pulled out our lunches. Sara had her usual ham and cheese sandwich while I had a bean and cheese burrito. We enjoyed our lunch and said our last goodbyes since we didn’t have any other periods together. As she walked away, I remembered when she brought me that nice blue flower clay pot for my birthday. I was thrilled that she had actually cared enough to spend time to create the pot, whereas others had just purchased silly games like Monopoly from Target. Luckily, Sara’s teachers agreed to have a humungous party in her last period. That party will be like a return gift for all the nice things that Sara has done for me.

February 4th, 2015
Dear Diary,
Going to school just isn’t the same without Sara. I sat down where we usually ate lunch. At that moment, I decided that the spot reminded me too much of Sara and that I needed to move. I packed up my stuff and walked towards a shady area underneath a tree. I sat down and opened my lunch, which was a cheese quesadilla today.

I started eating and was almost done with my lunch, until I heard someone say, “Beautiful brown hair. Can I sit with you?”

I looked to my left and saw a girl with two blond, braided ponytails.

Her green eyes gleamed as she said, “So, can I sit with you or not?”

Well, she’s impatient and rude, since she hasn’t even introduced herself.

Seeming to sense my thoughts, she said, “Hi, my name is Jessica, but my friends call me Jessie. I’ll give you a minute to decide whether you want me to sit next to you or not.”

Jessica pulled out her phone, in a penguin case, and set a timer for a minute. Hmmm... should I let her sit or not? Well, since Sara is gone, I should make more friends.

“Your friend, Sara, is gone, isn’t she?”

“How do you know about Sara?”

“I usually see you everyday hanging out with Sara in front of Room 3. I pass there everyday during lunch to get to where my friends hang out.”

I calmed down, but then realized that if I have seen Jessica’s face, I would remember it.

“Time’s up! Now can I sit or not?”

“Sure, but you have to follow my command every time you come here with me.”

Jessica raised one eyebrow, like she didn’t expect that, and then I said, “What I meant to say is that you can sit with me.”

February 7th, 2015
Dear Diary,
Jessie and I walked together to the shady tree and sat down. It had been a few days since I met Jessie, and I feel like she is getting ruder and meaner each day. I let that thought slip as I took a seat. Instead, I think about all the times that Sara and I used to hang out and how Sara always made me laugh.

I sighed and Jessie said, “Thinking about Sara? She’s gone, so stop thinking about the past and think about the present!”

“How do you know that I’m thinking about Sara?”

“Just guessing. Anyways, did you hear about the new program, Student Swap? The Student Swap is a program where 5 lucky student from each village get to swap classes and teachers with 5 other students from another village! Wouldn’t it be nice if one of us were chosen and were swapped into the other’s classes?”
Then I heard a loud, soothing voice saying, “Jessica Turmelia, please
come to the office. Jessica Turmelia, please come to the office.”

I looked around to see where the noise came from and realized that it came from the speaker that Jessie was leaning against. The announcement must have startled Jessie because she was staring in the direction of the office with a look of exasperation. She started walking towards the office, so I ran to catch up with her.

Once I caught up to her, I said, “Hey! Can I come along?”

“Sure. As long as you stay out when I talk to my counselor, Mrs. Parke, about something personal.”, said Jessie.

We arrived at the door of the office and strolled in.

Mrs. Parke greeted us once we entered by saying, “Hello, Jessica. You must be her friend. What’s your name?”

“My name is Courtney Catara. Pleased to meet you.”, I said in the politest voice I could do.

“Come on, Jessica. Come with me, please.”, Mrs. Parke said, completely ignoring me.

She took Jessica’s hand and lead her to a room decorated with blue sparkles that spelled out COUNSELING ROOM. The door slammed right in my face as I waited outside. Jessie had been too quiet about her life, so I decided to eavesdrop by putting my ear against the door. Luckily, the door was paper thin, so I could make out words that they were saying.

I listened and heard Jessie say, “My parents told me that when I was born, I was born with the power to read people’s minds. Lately though, I feel uncomfortable when I read through people’s minds, especially with Courtney. Sometimes I feel like I just want to get rid of this power, but I can’t. According to my doctor, Mrs. Kosakura, everybody has a power, but they develop it at different rates.”

I can’t hear what Mrs. Parke replies because I’m busy soaking in what Jessica said. Well, that does explain how she knew about Sara. I moved out of the way when I heard footsteps thumping against the ground. The door opened and Jessica comes out, holding a couple of papers in her hands.

Jessica said, “I need to tell you the truth. My parents told me that when I was born, I was born with the power to read people’s minds.”

I just figured that out. Can’t you read my mind and figure that out?

Then Jessica screamed, “You were eavesdropping into my conversation with Mrs. Parke! You liar!!!!”

I attempted to calm her down by saying, “You just told me. Plus, it says that on your papers. Which you dropped by the way.”

Jessica looked down at the ground, picked up her papers, huffed, and walked away. The bell rung and I strolled to my science class.

Mrs. Mackerel, my science teacher, greeted me at the door by screaming,
“Another troublemaker. Go in and sit down! Now, you lazy, cheating child!”

As you probably can tell, Mrs. Mackerel is a strict and bossy teacher. The bell rung, signaling that class should start.

“Okay, kids! Today, instead of doing the original plan of our Chapter 5 Test, we will announce the student or students that will be switching into another village!”, Mrs. Mackerel screamed.

Most of the class yelled and laughed with excitement.

A girl, who I think is Shakila, asked, “What are we going to do for the rest of class?”

“We are going to listen to you give a 5 page essay about cells. While you are speaking, the class will be taking notes which at least need to be a page long. You have 5 minutes to think of the 5 page essay. Go to the library for research and the font size HAS to be 12. Now go!”

The class groaned and at that moment, I really hoped to be picked and be allowed to go to another village.

“Anyways, the students that were picked to be a part of the Student Swap are…...Nick and Courtney!”
A couple of students cheered, but most students groaned, probably because they had to stay for a 5-page essay read aloud. Yahoo! Yay, yay, yay! I daydreamed about how life would be without Mrs. Mackerel. Much, much, happier for sure.

“Nick, go to Village Why, Room W and Courtney, go to Village Amazing, Room A. Now go, maggots go!”

Nick sprinted like his life depended on it, and frankly it did, though I ran out the door. After I’m out of Mrs. Mackerel’s view, I skipped as I thought about my new teachers. I’ll love it if the teachers are the opposite of Mrs. Mackeral.  I arrived in front of Room A and nervously opened the door. Inside, there was a woman with long, blond hair and on her ears were dangling purple earrings. The woman stood up, showing that she was wearing a sparkly purple dress and purple high heels. She must love purple. I looked at the class, spotting an empty seat in the back of the classroom.

I sat down as the teacher said,“ Hello and welcome to my science class! My name is Mrs. Isko. Can you please come up and introduce yourself to the class?”

I walked up, feeling nervous and shy.

I said, “Hi, my name is Courtney. My favorite color is blue and my favorite hobby is drawing.”

I heard a couple of people say, “Me too”, and a couple others say, “You too? Yay!” I walked back to my desk and sat down, suddenly feeling a lot calmer.

A guy ran to the entrance of the classroom and said, “Hi! My name is Sean. My favorite color is green and my favorite hobby is swimming. Are there any empty seats?”

“Well, there is one next  to me.”, I said as I pointed to the empty desk to my left.

Sean walked over and sat down next to me. Up close, I saw that Sean has shaggy, brown hair and has blue eyes.

His eyes sparkle as he said, “Hello! What’s your name? Oh, and what’s the teacher’s name?”

I responded, “My name is Courtney Catara. The teacher’s name is Mrs. Isko.”

“Thanks for letting me know. Courtney. Did you notice that each table fits only 2 people?”

As he said that, he smiled. I looked around and saw that Sean is right.

Mrs. Isko said, “Students, you may sit wherever you want.”

Most of the students got up and moved, but Sean didn’t. I decided that I don’t want to move either.

A girl walked up to me and said, “Like can you like move so that I can like sit with Sean? Just like get out of my like way, like loser!”

Sean and I both said at the same time, “Like no!”

We both looked at each other and smiled. At that moment, I realized that Sean might like me. He does seem like the guy to take swimming, with his biceps and….is it possible that I like him too?

Once everybody is seated, Mrs. Isko said, “Hopefully you like your seats because these are going to be your seats for the rest of the year. Anyways, let me pass out new schedules to everyone. Any volunteers?”

Both Sean and I raised our hands, but Mrs. Isko only called on Sean. Sean got up and walked to Mrs. Isko’s desk, where Mrs. Isko was holding out all the schedules. He came towards me and gave me my schedule. I reached out and took it, noticing that our hands touched as he passed it. Sean must have noticed too, because his smile grew. Once all the schedules were passed out, the bell rung and I sprinted to my next class, math.

February 8th, 2015
Dear Diary,
I’m getting sick of this annoying bell. The bell rung and I sprinted to make it to science, which was on the other side of the campus. I opened the door and ran to my seat. I sat down just as the bell which signals class to start rung.

Mrs. Isko announced, “Today all the science classes are meeting in the SCA, or the science auditorium. While walking, I would like you to hold hands with the person sitting next to you.”

When she said that, I saw Sean looking at me with the biggest smile I had ever seen. Sean grabbed my hand and started following the rest of the class. I looked to my right and saw a group of 3 girls glaring at me and whispering. We arrived at the SCA and most people had let go of their partner’s hands, including Sean and me. I sat down in the front and saw that Sean had followed me and sat right next to me.

A woman wearing a pink dress and a purple jacket comes up to the stage and said, “Hello, all eighth graders! In a couple of days, any people who have parent consent will be going to outdoor school at the luxury camp Willow Montage! At Willow Montage, you will be learning about nature through hiking and walking on trails with a nature leaders. For the night, you will be staying in a cabin. Cabins contain 1 gender only. Also, you may request anyone from any eigth grade science class. Now you may go.”

“All students of mine, please grab a friend’s hand”, yelled Mrs. Isko, trying to get her voice heard over the voices of 300 students.

I looked around and saw a girl standing alone, so I grabbed her hand.

I said, “Hello. What’s your name? My name is Courtney Catara.”

She responded by saying, “I already know you from when Mrs. Isko made you come to the front of the class. Anyways, my name is Willow Watts.”

Willow is quiet for the rest of the walk. We arrived at the door, which was being held open by a guy named Eric.

As we enter, Eric says, “Ladies first, after you”

I sat down in my seat and Sean came and sits down a minute later.

Mrs. Isko said, “First , I would like all of you to write down who you
would like to be with in your cabins. Pull out a piece of binder paper to write on. At most, you may choose 3 people.”

I wrote down, “1) Jessica Turmelia 2) You can choose the rest”.

Mrs. Isko then said, “For the rest of the period, you and your partner will study and make a poster on a topic of your choice. Our process of choosing is that we pull out a popsicle stick with your name and you will tell your topic. You and your partner may decide now.”

Sean and I both said at the same time, “I think we should do cells.”

A minute later, Mrs. Isko said, “Time’s up! Let’s pick our first name….the first name is….Sean!”

Sean and I both said at the same time, “We’re doing cells!”

Mrs. Isko wrote down cells under Sean’s name and then writes Sean under my name. The others are done quickly and soon the bell rings.

February 9th, 2015
Dear Diary,
OMG! As I walked to the shady tree , I passed by a poster which said in BIG sparkly letters, “Hey, guys! Are you crushing on a girl? Well, now’s your chance to ask her! The formal will be 2 weeks after the big outdoor school trip! Ask your crush today!” I would die if Sean asks me to the formal! Anyways, I arrived at the shady tree and sat down. I opened my lunch to see that I had a black bean burger.

Jessie arrived a minute later and said, “ Did you put me on your list? Because I did.”

Well, of course I did. You’re my only friend right now.

Jessie said, “Well, thanks for putting me on. Did you hear about the formal? I hope this really handsome and mature guy named Sean asks me to the formal.”

OMG! I hate her! She’s crushing on Sean?!!!

I finished my lunch without talking and walked away angrily, leaving Jessie saying, “ Oh come on! Everyone knows that Sean and I are a better match than YOU!!!”

I replied, “It matters who Sean asks to the formal, Jessie!”

Then, both of us shrieked and run away from each other. After I’m out of Jessie’s sight, I walked around the campus until the bell rung, and then I rushed off to class. I sat down just before the bell rung, as usual. I turned to look at Sean, who seemed nervous about something.

Mrs. Isko said, “We have decided your cabins. Please look at the list in your free time. Get to work on your projects!”
I walked to the front and see that I will be in a cabin with Jessie and 2 girls named Nikki and Samantha. From what happened at lunch, I regret putting Jessie on my list. The rest of the time, Sean and I spent researching about the cell.

Towards the end of the period, Sean said, “Can I talk to you about something?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Will you go to the formal with me?”

“Of course I will, Sean!”

February 10th, 2015
Dear Diary,
We arrived at Willow Montage and completed our first campfire. Then, we walked to our cabins. I looked around and saw the perfect bunk, a top bunk seperated from the other bunks.

I was about to call that bunk when Jessica pointed at the bunk and said, “Can I please take that bunk?”, and stared at me with a smug face.

I decided that I needed to get away from Jessica so I said, “Excuse me, but where’s the bathroom?”, to our leader.

She pointed outside and said, “There’s a public one outside. Go!”

I opened the door and walked outside, forgetting to take my jacket.

At the exact same time, Sean comes out of his cabin and asked, “Are you cold?”

“Yes. What are you doing outside?”

Sean pulled off his jacket and handed it to me.

“I was just going out for a walk. I ask the same question to you, Courtney.”

“I needed to get away from a cabin member.”

“Oh, which cabin member?”

I look down, feeling like if I tell him, Jessica will kill me.

“Well, who is it?”, Sean asked again, with an angrier voice.

I whispered, “Jessica Turmelia.”, and ran in the direction of the forest.

I heard footsteps coming from behind me, though I didn’t look back. I turned around a few minutes later, thinking the footsteps were Sean’s, but instead see a shadowed person, who looked like a girl my age.

I heard the girl say in Jessie’s voice, “Well this should teach Courtney a lesson.”

Then the girl shoved me and ran away. I fell with my right arm first into a hole. There was a huge wound on my right shoulder, which explained why I felt so much pain there. I tried to escape with my left hand, but I coudn’t get a good grip with it, mainly because my left hand was my non-dominant hand.

I yelled, “Help! Someone help!”, and saw Sean sprinting towards me a minute later.

Phewf, Sean will get me out of here.

“Hey, you okay? What happened, Courtney?”

“I am not okay. A girl pushed me into this hole and I landed on my right arm, and I think something broke.”

Please let me live, I’m too young to die. I started seeing 4 Seans and 4 of everything. I heard Sean yelling for help as everything was beginning to look black.

February 11th, 2015
Dear  Diary,
I woke up and saw a bunch of people gathered around me, including Sean. Sean saw my eyes open and hugged me, but then remembered about my arm, and let go.

“Where am I, Sean?”

“You are at the Willow Montage Hospital, Courtney. You were unconscious a few minutes after I arrived, but on my way I did see a girl with pigtails running away. I carried you all the way here and reported to the principal about the girl. Are you okay?”

“My right arm hurts a lot. The girl was Jessica. I had heard her say, ‘Well, that should teach Courtney a lesson.’”

Why would Jessie push me into the hole? Soon, Jessie comes in along with the principal of Millenium Middle School.

The principal said to Jessica, “Please state why you pushed Courtney into the hole.”

Jessie replied, “I am not at all sorry for pushing Courtney. Anyone who snoops and spies deserves to be pushed into a hole.”

The principal looked at me for a response and I said, “I have never snooped or spied. It’s you who snoops, Jessica. I mean, you read people’s minds, for crying out loud!”

The principal of Millenium Middle School said, “Enough! I have come to a decision that Jessica Turmelia is expelled from our school. This means you may never come back to Millenium Middle School again.”

Jessie stared at the principal with eyes as big as saucers and her mouth wide open.

A nurse came in and said, “Let Courtney rest. She will need lots of rest to help reduce the pain on her arm.”

Everyone exits the room except Jessica, who says, “I’ll have my revenge someday!”

Then Jessica leaves also, leaving me alone pondering if she was ever my friend.

February 19th, 2015
Dear Diary,
It had been a few days since I came back from the hospital. I sat down where Sara and I used to sit because I didn’t want to sit where it reminds me of my ex-friend Jessica. I looked around and saw Sara coming my way. I slapped myself because that coudn’t be true. After a minute, I still see Sara, but now my head hurts.
Sara sat down next to me and said, “I was just kidding about moving to Florida. Robert and my mom are now married, though. In order to celebrate, we went to Santorini, an island in Greece. Enough about me, what happened to your arm?”

“It’s a long story, Sara.”

“Well, I have the time to hear it.”

The bell rung and I said, “Well, I’ll tell you tomorrow. I missed you.”

I sprinted to science class and met Sean at the door.

“Hey. Sorry about what happened to your arm. Do you need any help, Courtney?”

“I’m fine, though thanks for asking. Why are you waiting here instead of in your seat?”

“Come in and I’ll tell you.”

I entered the classroom, which felt dark and empty. Suddenly, the lights turned on and my classmates jumped out and screamed, “Welcome back! Keep the adventure going!” In the front of the class was Sara.

She walked up to me and said, “Hi! I requested special access to be moved into your village. I told the secretery that I was a friend of yours and she immediately arranged for me to be moved. You’re popular!”

“OMG! You went through all that for ME? You are a true friend.”

Sean broke our friend get together moment by saying, “So, Courtney, you going to party or not?”

“Of course I am, Sean.”

The boys started a dance off while most girls stayed on the side and discussed stuff I couldn’t hear. This party coudn’t get any better. Then Mrs. Isko brought out trays full of junk foods, such as cupcakes. Sara and I rushed over to the cart and stuffed our faces with cupcakes.

Sean walked over and said, “ Enjoying the party?”

“Of course. Thank you for planning it!”

Oh shoot! I’m out of pages! Well, I’ll see you in my next diary!