Everything Before Us | Teen Ink

Everything Before Us

By simply_diana, Everett, Washington
simply_diana, Everett, Washington

"All I've got is a pen full of ink, a blank piece of paper, and a head full of ideas." -Unknown.

Author's note:

Basically I wrote this to show that every crush has the potential in developing into something more if given the right circumstances and timing. Liking someone from afar isn't an easy thing to do and it's better to go for it than to live life with "What ifs" 

Jean and Chloe's second encounter, first encounter will explained in a later chapter

Jean couldn't really say that he knew her too well. After all, he had only talked to her once last year. But even then it was strictly school related. Faintly he could recall a rushed interview with a smiling girl who cut straight to the chase, a trait that he actually admired about her---and that said girl was working across the room from him. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully and couldn't help, but gawk at her. Sure he couldn't deny that he had found her cute when they first met, but he didn't remember finding her this attractive. It was as if he couldn't keep his eyes off her (which he couldn't).
     He studied her long sunkissed hair as she brushed it past a delicate shoulder, her soft plump lips as they formed into a smile, and her dark brown eyes that sparkled with interest. He felt a bit pathetic about how captivated he was, but he pushed those thoughts aside for the moment. His eyes trailed down her thin frame as he took in her toned legs and curvy---
     Jean shook his head and felt his face warm up a little. He scolded himself slightly as he looked away and focused his attention elsewhere. He had the oddest feeling that he should be doing something right now, but decided to shake it off. Plus there were more pressing matters to attain to. Like what had his interview with the cute girl been about again? Jean leaned forward on his seat and plopped his elbow to the table, using his hand as a head rest. Something about his position in ASB?
    "Jean!"
     Jean blinked a few times before glancing at the person who had called his name. He suppressed a grin as a short blonde approached him with an obvious look of displeasure on his face. He casually asked, "What's up, Elijah?"
     Elijah rolled his eyes and let out a long dramatic sigh as he slapped his   forehead lightly, "Let me guess..." He paused for good measure, "You forgot, didn't you?"
     Jean smiled nervously, "...about?"
     "You're impossible." Elijah said drastically. The short blonde shook his head a little and shifted his weight to his other foot. He crossed his arms and complained slightly, "You were supposed to help me set up the gym for freshmen orientation. Michaela and I were counting on you."
     Jean's eyes widened and he muttered a curse under his breath. That's what he had forgotten to do! He ran a hand through his blonde locks and gave his friend an honest answer, "Man, I'm sorry. Carly has just been so crazy about making sure we know the basics of our scripts, our cues, and whatnot"
     Elijah glanced at him sympathetically, "Hey you're the one who decided to run for ASB. How's it going along by the way?"
     Distracted by something that caught his eye, Jean saw her laughing and didn’t answer. Quickly he looked back in her direction, eyes narrowing, and saw one of the senior guys crouch down beside her. His brows furrowed as he noted how close they were. Were they an item? She did seem a bit uncomfortable though, he reasoned to assure the nagging voice in his head.
     Elijah brushed his shoulder, "Jean!"
     "What? Sorry." Jean blushed a little. He felt as if he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
     Elijah rose a brow as a sly grin appeared on his pale features. He asked curiously, "What were you staring at?"
     "Nothing."
     The answer was too quick. Elijah followed Jean's trail of sight until his eyes found a girl working on a poster. He turned to his dumbstruck friend and asked, "She's new this year huh?"
     "Nah," Jean responded with a wistful smile, "She's been here since we were freshmen. She's just new to Leadership.I don't really remember her name though."
     Before Elijah could comment, a loud call interrupted them. They both turned to see Jean's fellow ASB officer, Michael, waving his hands enthusiastically as he came running to them. Michael came to a screeching halt, brown eyes glazed in what appeared to be excitement, and beamed; "They're here! Our costumes are here!"
     All emotion drained off of Jean's face as he took in Michael's words. He winced and let out a weak response, "Great."
______________________________________________

"I'm not putting that on!" Came a loud shriek from the boys bathroom.
     Chloe, hands delicately painting letters on her poster, flinched and faltered on her precise strokes. A long gash followed her down the poster. She frowned and bit her lip, dismayed at the rigid lines. Chloe sighed sadly as she set the paint brush aside. Hopefully it wouldn't look too bad, she murmured to herself.
     Eyes curious, she glanced towards the restroom and then at the group of girls around her. One of them, her friend Sydney, caught her look and motioned for her to join them. Following the thin brunette's instructions, Chloe stood up and entered the circle of giggling girls. In a shy tone she asked, "Do you know who just shrieked?"
     A tan girl with long black hair and a big smile answered casually, "Oh, probably Jean! I hear he's not too happy about having to wear costumes for the orientation today."
     Carly, the said girl in charge of freshmen orientation, rolled her hazel eyes and scoffed; "He'll be fine. He gets to be Superman. He shouldn't be complaining."
     One of the girls next to Chloe murmured, "But isn't his costume a lot...well...you know tighter than the others?"
     "Not like that's a bad thing." Someone else stated before an eruption of laughter followed. Chloe sighed in annoyance and exited the group, returning to her poster in silence. There were reasons why she hadn't joined Leadership before and that was one of them. She couldn't stand some of the people.
     But who's to say she wasn't the same?
     With a slight smirk, Chloe picked up the brush again and traced elegant strokes as her mind wandered on the guy who had grown strangely quiet in the restroom. Jean  Peters. She didn't really know him so she couldn't base a solid opinion on him. All that she knew was that he had been staring at her a lot today. It slightly bothered her, but she brushed it off and didn't look too deep into it. After all they were two very different people who didn't collide. And life was not like the movies.
     That much was evident in her own love life . . . Or well lack of it.
     Chloe frowned and stopped painting. She wasn't the type to feel sorry for herself, but her current situation was downright pathetic. Suddenly a loud laugh derailed her train of thought.              Glancing upwards, she was about to ask what was so funny when she saw him. The corners of her lips twitched as her mind went momentarily blank and it took every muscle within her being not to laugh.
     Because standing right there was Jean, dressed in his costume, looking just as bit as uncomfortable at how skintight the outfit seemed.
     Behind her she could hear a snicker; "Well they weren't kidding when they said it was tight..." and Chloe couldn't help, but agree.

__________________________________

"I refuse."
     A somewhat short brunette named Dan sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation. Calmly he repeated the way one does when talking to a stubborn child, "You don't have a choice, Jean."
     Jean gaped at him, clearly very horrified. He sputtered out, "Y-you can't expect me to go!" He turned to Michael for reassurance and the other boy shrugged. He wasn't getting involved in this discussion between fellow officers. Especially if one of them was the president.
     "And why not?"
    "You know why!" Jean responded back before looking at himself in the mirror. He tugged at his crotch area and the fabric that clung to it firmly. Jean winced, "It's, well you know, really tight ..there."
     Dan let out another release of breath and attempted to keep an apathetic look, "It's not our fault that you grew a lot. We ordered these two weeks ago."
     "It's a bit...distracting though, wouldn't you say?" The other male officer, Harry, stated unsurely. Dan shook his head and closed his eyes before answering, "Well there's nothing we can do. ASB already spent a lot of money on these so we're going to use them."
    Jean groaned and ran a shaky hand through his hair, "All you can focus on is the outline of my di---"
     "Keep it appropriate!"
     Harry coughed and tried not to make eye contact, "Just try not to get any dirty thoughts and you should be good." Jean paled. He hadn't even thought about that!
    Michael also nodded and patted Jean's shoulder awkwardly, "At least your ass looks great."
     Dan sighed again and exited the room with a mutter of no longer trying. Michael gave Jean a faint smile, "I'm sure you'll be fine. It's not like you have to wear this all day, just for a few hours."
     Jean didn't even have the energy to react with all the thoughts swarming in his mind. He grunted and stepped out the bathroom. He was ready to get this over with---only he really would regret leaving the room in a haste, because as soon as he left he heard laughter. Ears burning, he attempted to find the source and instead noticed her startled expression. Dark brown met light blue as both eyes widened. The look on her face was a crossover from horror and amusement. He knew she was struggling not to laugh and he couldn't blame her. He would be too (given if it were someone else, maybe not her though…). Jean knew that there were other people hollering and staring, but he was trapped in his trance. As cheesy as it sounded, he felt as if it was just him and her. And he kind of liked that.
     Not knowing what to say, he did the only thing his mind could muster: give her a cheesy smile.
     He watched her blink a few times before the corners of her lips formed a genuine smile. Her eyes crinkled as her entire face softened and dimples emerged. Jean decided in that moment that he liked her smile. Specifically when she was smiling at him. Jean didn't know how, but he was going to talk to her. Like, actually talk to her. And hopefully she wouldn't mind talking to him too.

BashfullyShy said...
on Nov. 3 2015 at 12:11 am
This is really good! I'm really sad actually that not many people are reviewing to this diamond in the rough...hopefully more people will, because it's really good. I like the way how you switch up the POVS between Jean and Chloe. Gives us the readers a better insight to both of them. The pacing seems a little fast, I mean Jean seems like he's already into her...but nothing is wrong with that! Especially since Chloe is so oblivious. My only complain is maybe you should work on summaries more. I feel lie if you had a better summary more people would be interested in reading your work. Don't give up though, we can't all be perfect. Anyway I'm looking forward to the update so hopefully I'll be hearing more from this story.

on Nov. 3 2015 at 12:04 am
Interesting idea. It's a familiar concept yet completely different. Hopefully there will be an update? Keep up the good work!