Fire and Ivory | Teen Ink

Fire and Ivory

August 7, 2015
By Thalion SILVER, Peoria, Illinois
More by this author
Thalion SILVER, Peoria, Illinois
9 articles 3 photos 53 comments

Author's note:

Want to see what people think about the begining of this story... It's not finished, I;m supposed to collab with a friend who's not finishing their part yet! So here is my section and we'll see when I can get the end up.

Africa, 2004.

I had been living in Nigeria for nearly four years. I worked for a company that ran safari tours. You know, show the tourists the landscape, the cute elephants, and such. A biology student from the US, I had moved away from home for only one reason.

I wanted adventure.

Some people say they found adventure, mystery, even love, in the strangest of places. I certainly did. I found them in the rather unlikely place: the jungles of Nigeria. Well, unlikely depending on who you ask. Some people (young girls, most often) might think of the jungle like in a movie. Beautiful, lush plants concealing magnificent creatures barely of this earth.

I have never fancied myself a romantic; I saw the reality of the jungles:

Hot, humid, bug-infested.

Yep, sounds like a great place to fall in love.

Maybe I should start over.

Hi, my name is Wren.

My story started on a pretty normal day. I woke up, went to work as usual. I had some paperwork from the previous day that I had conveniently forgotten about until my boss pointed it out to me. Paperwork had never been my favorite, so I slid through it as quickly as I could. I finished by noon, and was on my way out to grab some food when I saw a man enter our building. He was medium height, stockily built with dark skin that showed his African heritage. He smiled congenially when he met my eyes, then strode quickly towards me.

“Excuse me, do you know who I would speak to about taking a tour into the jungle?” He spoke with an American accent, with only a hint of the native dialect.

“Well, I can help you there. I'm Wren. Wren Davis. I'm one of the tour guides here.” I smiled. Another day, another customer.

“Perfect. My name is John Dahem. It would just be one friend and myself.”

His English was perfect. Probably lives in the US, I thought.

“Ok. What time were you thinking.”

“When is your earliest opening? We would like to get out as soon as possible.”

I slipped behind the front desk and grabbed our thick black binder. Dahem stepped closer and leaned causally on the high part of the counter.

“Well, how's this afternoon? I'm free after 1. Is that early enough for you?” I smiled.

He laughed. “All right. Let me call my friend and let him know. Will we meet you here?”

We worked out the details and parted ways, deciding to meet at the building were we kept the Jeeps at 1:30.

Forty minutes, a bowl of soup , and half of a large cup of coffee later, I was back at the base, waiting for my run's passengers. I finished off my coffee just as a small, black car pulled into the parking lot. I watched as Dahem climbed out of the car. He seemed to be the only person in the car.

I asked him where the other man was.

“Oh, yes. Something came up suddenly and he will not be able to make it. We decided it is too late to reschedule.”

Tourists are weird. He probably just wanted to get out of riding in a bumpy Jeep along a dirty road watching lions sleep from a half mile away. I mean, who wouldn't want to do that? And pay for it.

“Ok. Guess it's just us then. Ready? Let's go.”

We drove in silence for a little over a half hour. I knew what more tourists wanted to see and where to go. But after a an hour or so of the usual scenic rivers and distant lions prowling about, Dahem stood and tapped my shoulder.

“Do you think we could go to the edge of the jungle? I want to get some pictures of elephants.”

Yep, tourists are weird.

“Um, well, I guess so. I know a spot where there are usually some elephants nearby. Just stay in the Jeep and listen to me.”

What I meant was, stay in the Jeep and don't do anything stupid. Actually, just don't do anything stupid. I had had more than a few close calls with elephants because of tourists trying to attract the attention of 'that adorable elephant' who was 'just dying for a peanut'. Oh yes. There are plenty of stupid things you could do while still 'inside the Jeep'.

We came up upon the elephants sooner that I had expected. As we drew closer, I slid the Jeep into neutral and we coasted past the herd.

The pure size of elephants never ceases to amaze me. There are few things in life that capture the feeling of standing next to a full-grown elephant. One of which is looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

I would do that, too, by the time my day was over. But that's later in my story. Sorry for the spoiler.

I glanced over my shoulder.

Dahem wasn't doing the normal 'tourist things'. You know, taking photos, whispering about how 'big they were' and how much it smelled'.

He was just watching. Not even watching the elephants, exactly. Just looking around. He leaned forward and whispered.

“Go further south.”

I looked at him. How did he now the area if he wasn't from around here. And if he lived here, why would he take a guided safari tour?

He must have read my face, because he shrugged and added, “Maybe there are more elephants down that way.”

I sighed and turned the Jeep. Whatever the customer wants, the customer gets.

That rule gets annoying sometimes.

He was right. There were more elephants a little further south.

“Probably part of the same herd.” I observed, watching the small group of beasts. They wandered about, sniffing the ground with their long trunks.

Dahem shifted in his seat.

“Closer to the jungle.”

“Ok.”

“Stop.”

I was getting tired of all these orders. I turned in my seat to face Dahem.

“Look, this is way out of my usual path. Just another minute here and then I'm going to-”

I hate not finishing sentences. There are few things that stop me from completing my thoughts.

One of which a a loaded gun.

I stared down the sawed-off barrel of the rusted shotgun. For once in my life, I think I forgot to blink. Dahem glared at me from the other end of the weapon.

“What's that? Going to what? Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the transportation. It was going to be hard to make it past the police if if wasn't for you.”

I must have looked confused, because he started to explain. I guess it doesn't matter what someone knows, if they were dead.

“If you haven't figured it our already, I am part of an underground ring of, you might say, entrepreneurs. We gather and sell some of Africa's finest goods. Primarily, ivory.”

It wasn't until then that I caught on. This man was a poacher, one of the illegal hunters that killed elephants for their tusks, leaving the rest of their bodies to rot in the hot sun.

I had lost my voice. Dahem laughed at my silence. Then I found it again.

“What are you going to do? Shoot me? You know that won't end well for you, and the rest of your ring. My base knows where I've gone, and with whom. If I don't return by sundown, they'll call the authorities and find you all before you can say-”

“Shut up.”

Not exactly what I was thinking, but I guess that works too.

“I think I'll take my chances. It's not like you will be of much help for us.”

“Us?”

“Don't ask. And don't try to outwit me. My friends will catch you if you try to run.”

“How could they? We are in the middle of nowhere. There's no one else out here.”

“My comrades are closer than you might think. It's too bad. Under different circumstances, I think we could have been friends. But, I suppose this is my only option.”

He raised the gun to point at my face. Like I said before, staring down the barrel of a loaded gun is not matched by much else on this earth. I tensed, clenching my hands into fists.

I knew this man was a criminal. And he was desperate. Never a good combination.

Still, nobody threatens me.

I forced my body to relax. I laughed slightly and crossed my arms.

Dahem jumped at my movement. He slid his finger to the trigger.

“What do you mean, not of much help? I have friends in high places. I could find you new buyers. Trust me, let me live, and you won't regret it.”

Ok, I lied. He would regret it. Normally, I try to be honest, but under the circumstances I decided it ws probably to lie OK this once.

“Of course. Trust you. Like you trusted me? That worked out well for you.” he smirked, “Well, I guess this is the end of our tour. Goodbye, Wren.”

What happened next is still fuzzy in my memory. I'll do my best to describe it:

The air to my left exploded.

Well, not quite exploded, but pretty close. The nerves in my ear pounded as sound waves smashed outward. I had never heard an elephant trumpet from that close before. The beast, the largest of the herd, was no more than twenty feet away. He had wandered closer during my chat with Dahem and now decided to herald his presence.

Trust me, when an elephant wants you to notice him, it's hard not to.

Dahem jumped out of his skin. The sound distracted him from me and his finger momentarily slipped from the trigger.

I'm not exactly sure what happened next.

All I know is that adrenaline does amazing things to a person.

I threw myself to the floor of the Jeep before I thought. My movement startled Dahem and he shot wildly. I heard the gun blast, two, three more times. Both shots went over my head, the last missing only by an inch.

Turns out, I wasn't the only one to hear the gun fire. Our elephant friend heard it, too. And he didn't seem to like it.

Dahem cursed and raised the shotgun above his head. Out of ammo, he tried to use it as a club. I rolled out of the way and kicked him, hard, in the shin. He stumbled and nearly dropped the gun. Gritting my teeth, I aimed a little higher and kicked again.

That time, he was on the floor. His cursing grew louder and he sounded more desperate.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the elephant bull. He was shaking his head back and forth slowly, obviously agitated.

He was trying to find us.

With all the noise that Dahem was making, it wasn't hard for the bull to locate us. He raided his head and trumpeted again. Dahem and I both froze.

The elephant charged, trunk waving wildly.

Right towards the Jeep.

This day was just not going for me.

“Run!” Dahem threw the shotgun aside and leaped out of the Jeep. I vaulted over the low side and followed the poacher in his mad dash.

Desperation gives feet wings and, let me tell you, we flew. The elephant reached the Jeep and brought the full force of his rage out on it. I grimaced to hear the sound of smashing metal.

Once finished with the Jeep, the elephant scanned the field for the humans who had escaped him.

I dropped to the ground. “Get down,” I hissed, “It's our only chance.”

Seeing that Dahem was not about to test his luck hiding, I reached out and caught hold of his ankle as he tried to run past me. He hit the ground with a satisfying thud.

“Hey!” he screamed and thrashed, “You are trying to kill me!”

He lashed out his his feet and began kicking wildly, desperate to get away. One of his feet met with the side of my face and I quickly released his leg. Scrambling madly, he kicked up dirt into my face as he ran, ran for his life towards the jungle.

Fortunately, he was a fast runner. Unfortunately, the elephant was much faster.

The bull bellowed in anger as he caught sight of the tiny creature attempting to allude him. He charged again, this time with a moving target. I pressed myself lower into the grass, praying that I wouldn't be crushed by one of his massive feet.

He caught Dahem within ten strides. I smashed my hands to my ears and tried to block out the horrible sounds of the poacher's death. To this day, I haven't been able to.

His rage quelled, the elephant bull turned from the now-mangled body of his target and pounded back to his herd.

As I stumbled to my feet, I couldn't keep my eyes from wandering to Dahem. There was no hope of him being alive. It was hard enough to tell that what I saw had been a human not five minutes before.

For once in my life, I didn't feel like shouting, I told you so.

Yeah, that probably wouldn't have been appropriate.

It took me a while to realize my predicament. The elephant had destroyed my Jeep, my means of transportation. I was a little out of my usual path, but I was pretty confident in my ability to find my way to the nearest road.

I gathered what I could out of the torn vehicle, a few water canteens that had fallen to the ground, a heavier jacket, and some bullets that had fallen from Dahem's pocket when he jumped from the Jeep. I wasn't sure if I needed the bullets, but thought I'd take them anyway.

I set off in the direction I though the nearest road was. Hopefully, I'd be able to hitch a ride back home before sundown. If there was one way I didn't want to end my already horrible day, it was by spending the night alone in the wilds of Africa. The sun was already deep into the western sky.

I made it maybe two miles into the jungle when I thought I heard a sound. I froze and prayed it wasn't anything that could kill me. I didn't see anything, so I continued.

A minute later, I heard it again. This time, it was undeniable. Something, or someone, was following me.

“Hey, who's there?” I yelled, the sound of my own voice making my jump, “I hear you. Who's there?”

Just as I was almost finished convincing myself that it was nothing but an animal, the was a crash behind me.

I spun around in time to catch a glimpse of a tall man leaping out of the bushes behind me. I started to scream.

That's when I felt a flashing pain on the back of my head, and the world went black.

When I awoke, the world was still black.

I blinked my eyes a few times to assume myself that they were open.

I realized it was night. But where was I? I tried to sit up, but felt my hands and feet bound by thick pieces of leather. Alarmed, I tugged harder. I could feel a heavy crate pressing against my back, the ropes wrapped around it.

Shaking my head to clear it, I took a few deep breaths and tried to remember what had happened last.

Oh, right. The elephants. Hiking through the jungle. An ambush.

Darkness pressed in all around me. I didn't feel a breeze, so I guessed I was indoors, maybe in a basement. I scraped the heel of my shoe against the ground. It didn't sound like a dirt floor. I guessed it was concrete.

I froze. Footsteps faintly rang down what I guessed to be a hall or passageway.

“Hey,” I heard my voice crack slightly, “Is someone there? Untie me!”

A short laugh was the only reply. The footsteps grew louder as the person drew closer.

I blinked as a man, holding a flashlight, strode into the room. He was tall, broadly built, with a bent nose that made him look like a boxer. His worn kakis looked as if they hadn't been washed in months. Judging by the odor of sweat, dirt, and the jungle, they hadn't been. The beam of the flashlight was pointed at my eyes.

“You mind?” I snapped, angry and annoyed, “You're burning my eyes out.”

A malicious smile spread over the man's dark features.

“Not a bad idea. Quick, painful, with lasting effects... We'll keep that in mind. In the mean time, you should probably do whatever we say. Let's start with something easy: answer some questions. What were you doing with John Dahem? Where is he now?”

“Excuse me,” I answered sarcastically, “Why should I tell you anything? Who are you, anyway, to boss me around and try and threaten me? I should-”

I hate being interrupted. Unfinished sentences annoy me.

But when the interrupter has a knife to your throat, not being able to finish your thought suddenly becomes much less annoying.

“Do not speak to me that way,” the rusted metal pressed harder against my throat, “If I had my way, you would not be here. Alive, anyway. Fortunately for you, you have answers we want. Now, one more time: Why were you with John Dahem.”

“I was giving him a tour. That's what I do, being a tour guide, you know.”

Apparently he didn't like the biting tone of my voice. He grabbed my arm with a vice-like grip and brought his face within inches of mine. His breath matched the rest of his attire: in need of a very thorough cleansing.

“Giving him a tour? Of what, exactly. We both know you weren't out there to admire the landscape.”

“Actually, yes, we were. The jungle is beautiful this time of year.”

“Very witty.” He spoke through clenched teeth, “Where did he ask you to take him? And do not give me another one of your funny answers.”

I didn't respond.

“Well? Answer me!”

Shrugging, I bit my lip gently and looked at him with all the fake innocence I could muster.

“Sorry, I can't think of anything to say that's not impudent. Oh, oops. You said no funny answers. Sorry about that.”

I could hardly keep from laughing outright as fire leapt to his eyes. His grip tightened around the knife handle. A few drops of blood rose on my skin as the blade bit more sharply. I clenched my teeth and tried not to blench.

“I am getting tired of this game. Where did he ask you to go?”

“Just where the elephant herd is. Maybe six miles north of where you found me.” I breathed a sigh of relief as the knife was removed from my throat.

He laughed slightly, then took a step back. His eyes were mocking.

I hated this guy.

“The elephant herd? So, what happened there? Do a little sight seeing?”

“Sort of,” I struggled to keep my tone unsarcastic, “He tried to kill me.”

“Really? Got tired of your smart tongue?”

“He didn't give a reason.”

“Maybe he didn't want to hurt your feelings.”

“Ha ha. Forgive me for not dying with laughter.”

“Is that all he said?”

I paused of a split second. Something told me that once they got the information they wanted, they wouldn't want to keep me around.

“Yes.”

The man knelt down to get face to face with me again.

“Just how stupid do you think I am?” He asked slowly. I opened my mouth to reply.

“Don't answer that!” He clenched his teeth and exhaled, “He tried to kill you for no reason? And you didn't try to talk your way out of it? Get some answers before he murdered you? I can hardly imagine you going down without a fight. Tell me what else he told you.”

“He didn't exactly stop to explain his motives. Bad guys only do that in movies. Not in real life.”

The man threw down his knife. It clattered to the ground as he stood to his feet. He stepped quickly behind me and untied the ropes from around the crate. Before I could breathe a sigh of relief, I felt the pressure on my wrists increase.

My body was jerked forward as he lifted the rope higher. I was bent forward, my wrists lifted towards the ceiling behind me. My arms felt like they were being twisted out of their sockets. I tried not to scream.

“I'm waiting.”

I was on my tiptoes now, trying desperately to keep my weight off the ropes.

“What else did he say?”

“Ok!” I breathed, “Put me down. I'll tell you.”

I was dropped roughly to the ground. I lay there a moment, catching my breath.

“All he said was something about avoiding the police, and something about a poaching ring. I didn't have the chance to ask too many questions.”

“Did he say why he took you to that specific place?”

“No.”

He made a move for the ropes again.

“No! I swear, he didn't. But I can guess. He mentioned that he had friends nearby. I would bet that means they had a headquarters or a base near where we were. I could take you there, if you-”

“Let you go? That's funny.”

After retying my ropes, the man stood to leave. When he reached the doorway, he paused and turned.

“You may want to stay put. The others here might not be a friendly as I am. It's been a pleasure, Miss... I don't believe I caught your name.”

I suppressed the desire to do the “Bond, James Bond” line. I had a feeling he wouldn't find it amusing.

“Renee Thalion. It's been a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” I lied.

“Miss Thalion.” The sarcasm was almost too much to bear. I forced myself to smile. “We'll finish our conversation later. Until then...”

He mock bowed and backed out into the darkness.

Waiting until he was out of earshot, I muttered,

“I can hardly wait.”

It wasn't until later that night that I saw another person. I would guess it was about five hours, but keeping track of time is not something I'm good at. I was glad that the man, whoever he was, had left the flashlight on the ground. It was me a chance to observe the room I was being kept in.

Concrete floor, solid dirt walls. No windows, only one exit: a dark passageway with no door. I couldn't see more than ten feet past the opening.

Not exactly I place I wanted to stay in for long. It's not like I had much of a choice, though.

I was nearly asleep when I caught the sound of footsteps again. This time, I kept my mouth shut, hoping it wasn't the man from before. When the lone figure entered, I knew immediately it wasn't my friend from earlier.

This man was young: probably close to my age.

He stepped into the room silently. I was immediately distracted by the bowl in his hands. I had no idea what it was, but it smelled like food.

I realized I was starving.

The smell was tantalizing. I could feel my mouth beginning to water.

The man nearly dropped the bowl onto the ground in front of me.

“Here. Food.” Like I didn't know what it was.

Without another word, he turned to leave.

I cleared my throat loudly.

He paused and turned slightly.

“Um. I'm supposed to eat this, how?” I pulled on my ropes.

The man shrugged.

“Figure something out. I've heard you're clever.”

“Thanks for the compliment. Untie me.” I paused. “Please.”

He stopped and stared at me for a long moment. Sighing, he rolled his eyes and walked behind me.

I felt the ropes being loosened slightly. Then the ropes slid off my wrists.

I admit, what I did next was pretty stupid. But people do stupid things when they are desperate.

I exploded the moment the ropes were off. Leaping to my feet, I spun and aimed a hard blow at the man's stomach. He tried to dodge it, but I caught him off guard and hit him in the gut. He groaned and doubled over. I took my chance and dashed for the door.

Before I even reached it, I felt arms grab me around the waist. I twisted midair and landed on top of the man. My elbow must have dug into his stomach, because he loosened his grip on me. I wiggled free, but he caught my ankle as I jumped up. I smacked against the ground and nearly blacked out.

My arms were pinned behind my back and my face was pressed harder into the ground. I grunted, trying to push the man off.

Like that was going to work. He was bigger and stronger than I was. I wasn't going anywhere.

“What are you doing?” He lifted me up and set me roughly on my feet, not letting go of my arms, “Did you seriously think that would work?”

“It was worth a shot. And it almost worked.”

“No, it didn't.”

“Do mind letting go of me now? I promise I'll be good.”

He laughed. “Promise?”

“Cross my heart and hope to die.”

To my surprise, he let go. I glared at him as I rubbed my chaffed wrists.

He bent and picked up the bowl of food. “Well, at least you didn't spill this during your escape. Here.”

I grabbed it with all the defiance I could muster.

He stood there, laughing at nothing, the entire time I ate.

The longer he was there, the more I couldn't stand him.

The first man I could tolerate. I hated him, but I could tolerate him.

But this guy...

When I finished, the man took the bowl from me with an infuriatingly charming smile.

“It's been a pleasure, Miss Thalion.”

“The pleasure's all mine.”

“Enjoy the rest of your stay.”

As he walked out, I stuck my tongue out at his retreating back.

It might not have done anything, but it sure made me feel better.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.