Meant To Be Wild And Free | Teen Ink

Meant To Be Wild And Free

March 25, 2015
By string, Park City, Utah
More by this author
string, Park City, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your life doesn't follow a path, it makes one"- by string


Author's note:

A couple years ago I watched a video of wild horses being wrangled and caught in terrible ways. They were hit, yelled at, and became terrified of everything around them. Since then Iv'e really been bringing the catching of wild horses to attention. I would love to share what I think it would be like from a horses point of view to go through this situation. It's definetly a different kind of story, and not for everyone but I hope whoever reads it thinks about why I wrote this and what i wanted to get across. 

My hoofs shifted, and the sun came over the cliffs edge. Looking back, I watched the rest of the herd open their eyes to the blinding suns light. A soft nose nudged my shoulder, that soft nose being my moms. I stood up leaving an outline where I laid in the tall green grass during the night dreaming of today. Songbirds chirped as I shook from head to flank, awakening myself. I walked after my mother after she walked towards the heard. I follow her everywhere, even though I’m already a year old. Behind me a filly followed me, my sister. My mom have only had one filly, and one colt. My sister and I.

  I nipped my mothers tail, wanting to play. She pinned her ears, so I backed off a couple steps. I then nipper again, and she nipped back at me, grabbing my fur. Clearly she didn’t like it because that hurt! So I stopped and walked with my sister by my side. We walked for several hours across hills, mountains, and valleys. The herd finally came to a stop where a river flowed through a grassland. I pranced around exited for a nice cool drink. My sister pranced next to me, and I drank from the pond. I watched my sister by my side trying to imitate me, learning from me. I learned from my mom so Iv’e taught her what I know so far. The sun was high, and the grass was thick, and still a little damp from earlier. It was perfect for nibbling. I munched on the grass, eating at my best ability, my sister watching and nibbling on the grass as if she were eating it too. My mother was by her side, munching just like me. My mother and my sister have a lot in common! They both have wheat colored coats with tiny cloud white spots, and three white socks. Their manes and tails are the color of wheat too, just like their coat. Theres only one stallion in the herd, and I have some of his color in me, and some of my moms. Im a dark golden brown with three wheat colored socks, and a dark wheat colored mane and a black tail. I flicked my ears around and listened to the birds, the river, and the sounds of the herd munching on the grass below our hoofs. My ears settled until I heard something different.. What was it? Sounded like when a rock tumbles but deeper and faster. My ears were alert, and I saw my sister trot closer to my mom where she listened to. My hoofs shuffled and I got closer to my mom while the sound got closer and closer. The alfa (my dad) then snorted, and lifted his tail, so the rest of the herd checked for predators, and I checked too. The sound got deeper and deeper until something appeared in the distance.

I watched it, and decided it must be a noisy bird, but a big one! We started to stir, not knowing what to do scared of the giant bird we’ve never seen or heard before. The alfas nostrils flared, and he tried to keep all eight of us calmed down, but then things went crazy. The bird got so close to us, and the sound was like a mountain have just crashed down behind us. I turned my head to look behind me, taking a quick glance at it before everyone started to gallop away from it. I galloped after them, my legs shaking in fear. It chased us, right behind us and it was still making that loud rumble noise. The alfa was snorting, bucking, and pinning his ears when he looked at the bird. I stayed by my sister and mom, trailing right behind them. I just kept running,  thinking we are going to get eaten by this bird! It’s going to scoop us up and eat us like were a mouse in a open field! We kept galloping, starting to run out of breath. The alfa then changed directions, and two horses went the other way, and got scared off. The alfa cried for them but they didn’t come back. We galloped down the small mountain we were once on and the bird came roaring after us even faster. I then saw another herd that had about six horses in some type of trap.

The five were angry, and fighting each other. We were headed right towards the five angry horses. I pinned my ears in fear, and tried to act tough to scare the five horses we were running towards to show them Im not to be beat with their hoofs. The bird was still coming after us, and as quick as that I heard a slam behind me, and a silver, as my mom says “fence” closed behind me. My mom always have shown me these fences are away from people and don’t have a use anymore and that they don’t harm you. I thought about it… I guess they haven’t ever harmed me before or trapped me because they just sit there, but this one had a creature that moved it! It must be a fence creature! I couldn’t move because it was so crowded, but when I did my tail got stuck in the fence. I bucked at the fence, telling it to let go but it didn’t! I kept bucking at the fence but the fence was so hard and it wouldn’t budge! I panicked, looking around for my mother to help me. She was right in front of me, but was protecting me from one of the five other herd members by biting, kicking, and throwing her head. My sister shivered, standing beside my mom. I cried for my sister, or anyone that would help me. Finally my tail came loose, and the fece let go. I almost stumbled forward from the force of pulling my tail back out, but I fell against my moms hind instead. I then got my balance once again while franticly trying to keep my sister safe.

My sister then backed into me, and I moved so I could be in front of her, protecting her like mom did with me. A fence creature then came over to the fence on two legs and held some type of vine or something. He crackled it like lightening against my back, and everyone started to move again into another trap. This trap was smaller, and had an opening. It was dark inside of it and it was connected to something that backed into the trap. The vine thing then crackled against the alfas back, sending him galloping into the trap. It was a little off the ground, and had black round things holding it up on either side. I stayed with my sister, and tried to catch up to mom. She was pushed up by others panicking. Then my eye caught onto her and she was running into the trap.

I cried for her loudest I could but the fence creatures kept cracking the vine things and the other horses were pushing her into the trap. Then the trap had two doors that the fence people could control. The doors swung and a bar went across them. I could hear my mom whinnying back at me, but couldn’t see her through the slits in the closed in trap. There was more room since there were only five of us left, so I managed to gallop up to the trap, my sister galloping after me. We both kicked the trap, but then a fence creature ran on two legs into the thing pulling the trap, and then the trap started to pull away. I then heard a crackle right above my head, then a high pitch ringing noise. I didn’t hear anything else, just that ringing and I looked around, the only sound being my panicked breath. My sister stood beside me, pinning her ears at the fence people, one of them holding a stick. One of the horses jumped at the fence person, but got hit by the stick seconds afterwords. I watch the stallion leap back into another horse and they started fighting. The ringing slowly died down as I watched The two stallions fight against each other, tearing fur and skin apart in confusion and anger. Another trap then backed into the circle of fences were in and the vine thing crackled again. We ran away from it, terrified, the only place to go being the dark trap.


The five of us ran in quickly, leaping into it. Every time we stepped it sounded like thunder. I kicked the rock hard sides of the trap trying to get out, but the thing only shook a little. One of the two stallions kicked the trap too, and red splotched onto the traps side where the stallion kicked it. Was he bleeding from the fight? What is this thing? Where am I? Where am I going? I have so many thoughts, and questions but no answers. My ears drooped in sadness as I watched my sister lean against me crying sharp whinnies for mom. The trap started to move, and we all shifted. I looked through a slit in the trap, and noticed we were moving. We were moving really fast. I whinnied to see if mom would hear, but there was no response. There was fighting, and loud noises everywhere. My eyes shifted franticly trying to figure so much out all at one time.

We were in here for what seemed like forever until the trap stopped moving. I heard the fence creatures making noises, then I heard them at the door where my sister and I stood. The door swung open outward, spooking my sister. She scrambled out on her long fragile legs, one of them catching the deep ledge that was below the traps door. I heard a clang and she was on the ground, Struggling to get back up. I leaped out, almost tripping myself and dodging my sister. My hoofs hit dry sand, and beside me my sister stood up keeping one leg off the ground. She walked towards me on three legs, and I nudged her to comfort her like mom does to me. Her legs were a bit unstable but she managed to stand up, and follow me into a bigger field with dry sand and dry grass. There was also something that was holding water that was against a fence. The dark trap went away, and the fence door closed behind us five. Exhausted, I laid down where I was at. My sister collapsed down next to me. She rested her head on my back, and her eyes drifted half closed. The hot sun beaded down on us, yet I didn’t feel thirsty. I only felt alone, scared, and confused. The fence creatures are around us, watching us like they’re about to pounce and rip us apart even more then we already are. We laid there until sun down, and then we watched the sun set, in the same positions as hours before.

Days passed, and I ate what I learned is called ‘grain’ every day. My belly ached and felt like there was a rock beating down on me. My sister lay there on the dirt, not moving from the first spot she settled down. I never left her side, trying to encourage her to get up. She started to get skinny without mom to feed her, and would lay there with no expressions, no anything on her face. The five other horses were getting skinny too. None of us were hungry, we were just scared. Every once in a while I would glance out the fence and think- why are we here? Why have the fence creatures done this? Eventually I laid down with my sister, and rested my head on her. I could feel her fur burning up in the suns heat, and her quick soft breaths push the hairs on my mane up and down.

It must have been a week from then when the sun was high, and hotter then ever. I was laying down with my sister, her head on my back when the hairs on my mane stopped going up and down over and over. I flicked my ears towards her wondering why it had stopped. It didn’t start still, so I nudged her to see if there was something wrong. When I nudged her, her head drooped like a flimsy tree branch, and her nose pointed downward. It worried me so I stood up carefully, and she fell limp. In a panic I bumped her with my hoof, wanting her to respond back to me. She just laid there, and still didn’t move. My ears dropped down and I whinnied loudly to wake her up but she never did. All she did was lay there without moving. I didn’t understand what she was doing, so I nudged her again…and again…and again. Nothing happened, so I laid next to her, resting my head on her back. All the sounds I used to hear when I rested my head on her were gone. She didn’t even try to play with me when I put my head on her like she usually does. I tried one last time.. To nudge her but all I felt was her soft fur blowing around from my breath.

  I felt ruined, and broken to pieces. I had nothing to do or nobody to care about besides my sister, and my mother. Both of them were either far far away, or not responding in such a strange way. I felt like the only way I could keep my mind straight was to think of my mom, and the way my sister used to be. My hoof shifted in complete discomfort, the rest of my body motionless. I, as mom says ‘daydreamed’ about my family. The day I woke up beside that cliff, the day this happened yet hours before. The birds were chirping, sun was warm, and the grass was thickened with droplets of water. I remembered how we crossed the valleys, mountains, and fields. Though while crossing them My sister and I played and frolicked through the woods. We ran through the fields with our mom by our side. I tried not to think of now, but my brain forced me too. I stared at my little sister, thinking that daydream would never happen again. I waited for something to happen, and something did happen.
While I laid their watching the sun set from that day, my eyes closed. I drifted to what seemed like a deep sleep. Next thing I know I’m with my sister, and all the pain is gone. I have emotion, feelings, and happiness. I galloped up to my sister, and she galloped up to me. We frolicked together in a field surrounded by mountains, and rivers. Mom wasn’t here but I hope she found her way out somehow. I don’t know why I’m here or how I got here. maybe it’s because I was so broken inside, screaming in pain. I really don’t know but all I know is I’m with my sister, and I know mom will be here soon if we are to.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.