Go Away | Teen Ink

Go Away

By PrivatePyle123456, Pawnee, Illinois
PrivatePyle123456, Pawnee, Illinois

Author's note:

Mr. Braham's Creative Wrighting class.

The young woman flicked her dark black hair out of her sea foam green eyes “So Mathew the ladies at the home called, they said the Cancers back,” she muttered, her voice cracking towards the end. The old man just continued to stare off into space his wrinkles pulled into an expression of indifference. He had been like this since she got here and she was starting to see red.

Finally she snapped, “When are you going to stop this? You’re acting like a child. I’ve spent my entire life trying to get to know you. You owe me this. I need to know who you really are before I can’t anymore.”

Mathew glared at her and retorted “Sarah, I told you to get out of my life years ago. I told you, that you were nothing to me the first day you came to me. Yet, you still came back again and again. I don’t love you and I never have. You’re just a pebble in the road who hasn’t realized it’s been kicked away.” His grey blue eyes turned black and his wrinkled face turned red. “Leave,” he stated, calmly sitting back down in the gold gilded chair he had been resting in before he started yelling.

Sarah gaped at him “How can you be so heartless?” She then walked out her shoulders shaking with sobs.

“Years of practice,” Mathew muttered under his breath.

As he sat there he felt his wrinkled skin begin to be pulled back into muscles. His skin pale, from not being outside, tans. His grey-blue eyes turn into a lighter blue color, kind of like the ocean. His gray hair turns black from the roots.

*****

Mathew stood above the party on the winding staircase, looking down upon the party guest dancing below him like buffoons. He scoffed rolling his eyes. “They’re so ridiculous,” he muttered under his breath. Continuing to look over the ledge, he began to wonder what was taking his associate so long.

Mathew then felt a hand land upon his shoulder, “Old Chap, good to see you made it.”

Mathew replied with, “Well Mr. Carmicheal, I like to get my business done as soon as possible.”

“Oh have some fun; drink a bit. We can talk business later.”

“I didn’t come to drink. I came to talk business, but seeing as your party is more important to you, I will be on my way.”

“No! No! We can talk now. I’m sorry if I offended you. My office is this way if you’ll just follow me,” Mr. Carmicheal pleaded. Mathew smirked and walked with Mr. Carmicheal down a hallway, until they reached the last door on the right. When they arrived Mathew sat in one of the fake gold gilded chairs. Mr. Carmicheal sat across the big cherry wood desk into a chair, which looked much like a throne. “Mr. Clearwater,” Mr. Carmicheal croaked his voice cracking, from being alone with this business demon.

“Mr. Carmicheal spit it out. My time is precious. I don’t have all day for your babbling.”

“I…..I was” but before Mr. Carmicheal could finish a women confidently walked in.

“Kenton it’s impolite to leave your party. We need more refreshments.”

“Mr. Clearwater, if you’ll excuse me I will just be a minute. You keep him company,” Mr. Carmicheal stammered out, afraid Mathew would leave at this interruption. Mathew just motioned for him to go. Not looking at him the women, whose auburn hair fell in ringlets down her back, sat down. Mathew was mesmerized buy her attitude. She had an aura of wealth. Her green eyes held a strength that he had never seen before from anyone but himself, but they also held a lightness his eyes had lost long ago.

Standing up Mathew confidently stated, “Tell Mr. Carmicheal I left. My time is precious. As for you I will see you at La Blanca eight O’clock sharp.” With that he left not looking back to see the women’s reaction.

*****

As the young woman was about to storm out of the nursing home, she saw all of the staff rushing in the direction of Mathew’s room. She spun on her heels, her breathing rising quickly as she sprinted. When she arrived she saw the staff carrying him out. As Mathew past he muttered, “The stars are beautiful tonight aren’t they?”

*****

Mathew sat in the chair waiting for the women to show up. All he could focus on since he met her was the way she walked, and the way she was unaffected by his stare that sent grown men to their knees. Mathew was so engrossed in thought he didn’t notice that the women of his thoughts was sitting down across from him until the waiter cleared his throat. Mathew quickly snapped back to attention.

“What would you like to drink?” The waiter hummed.

“A bottle of your finest,” Mathew demanded, not taking his eyes off the woman in front of him. The waiter scurried off with that.

“Why am I here?” the women questioned with a stoned face.

“I don’t know. Why are you here ……..?”

“Scarlette, my name is Scarlette, and you’re the one who asked me here.”

“And you my dear are the one who came. My name’s Mathew Clearwater. In case you were wondering.” He confidently smiled, feeling as though he had won.

“I know.” Scarlette placed her hands in her lap, almost laughing at him.

“Been stocking me, Scarlette.” Mathew quipped with a smirk gracing his features.

“Not even in your dreams. I would have to live under a rock not to know who The Mathew Clearwater is, so once again why did you ask me here? Scarlette glared at him.

“Why did you come?”

“I asked you first” Scarlette retorted, a smirk playing on her features.

“If you must know Scarlette, I asked you here because you interest me unlike anyone I have ever met before. Now why did you come?” Mathew admitted, feeling as though he would regret it later.

“I came because you interest me also. There is just something about you. I don’t know.” Scarlette blushed.

“Well then I must warn you I will never fall in love.” Mathew’s features were tight and controlled.

“Good, because I would never love you,” Scarlette spat, a little affined by this discovery.

“Well now that that’s understood. Let’s enjoy the night.” Mathew cheerfully stated.

The waiter returned soon after with their bottle of wine, and asked them what they wanted to eat. They quickly ordered, and ate in a comfortable silence. As they finished up Mathew asked, “Would you like to go somewhere.”

“Where would that be?” Scarlette questioned.

“I know of this hill where you can kiss the stars they’re so close.”

“Only to look at stars?”

“Only to look at stars,” Mathew confirmed.

“Well then let us be on our way.” With that they left the restaurant, and jumped straight into Mathew’s car.  It only took them a few minutes to arrive at the bottom of the hill, where Mathew promptly parked. The pair started their ascent up the hill.

“How far until we get there?” Scarlette asked.

“Not much longer,” Mathew confirmed.

“It seems so far.”

“Are you tried? Do you not want to continue?”

“No, no! I want to see it. My feet are just tired. Let’s continue.”

With that Mathew picked her up, and continued. “Better?” he chuckled.

Scarlette through her blush muttered, “Much.” Soon after, they arrived at the top of the hill. Mathew set Scarlette down as gently as possible, and then lay next to her. The air around him smelt only of her, and he found it addicting.

“The stars look lovely tonight don’t they?” Mathew whispered.

Scarlette was amazed by this, and by him. Not wanting to ruin the mood, Scarlette answered just as softly “Absolutely beautiful.” They spent the rest of the night on the hill until the first light of morning broke through the night, just enjoying each other’s company.

******

Sarah sat in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs. The tears had stopped flowing hours ago, but she still sobbed violently against her mother’s shoulder. “What if he dies? I’ll never know why. I’ll never know what he likes to do or what his favorite food is. I…… I,” and with that the tears began to take her words from her.

“He is strong. He has been through much worse,” Sarah’s mother responded.

*****

As Scarlette and Mathew sat on the couch in Mathew’s living room Scarlette questioned “Why did you make it clear to me the first day we met that you would never fall in love.”  

“Because love is a lie. It’s supposed to be amazing and wonderful, but it only leads to death and pain.” Mathew commented not giving the conversation his full attention.

“Why do you feel that way? What hurt you so bad that you can’t let love in?”

“Everyone.”

“Tell me about it, please.” Scarlette pleaded.

“My parents were in love once, and you know what happened? My father fell out of love with my mother. Do you know who he fell in love with? The mailman!” Mathew chuckled darkly. “Yes a man, and in that time it was a disgrace, so he stayed with my mother and kept the mailman his pretty little secret,” his mouth turns up into a snarl. “My mother was still completely in love with him, even though she knew about everything. She thought maybe if she pretended nothing was wrong he would get over this phase. That was until the night she walked in on my father and the mailman. She was devastated, but she stayed because she loved him. That’s when she turned to alcohol. That’s the day she turned into a monster.” Tears build in his eyes but he refuses to let them fall. “My father, he never carried about me, but my mother she was always there for me. That night she became someone else, someone who loved alcohol more than her own son. A few days later was the first time she hit me, and it just got worse and worse until the day they died. I was thirteen years old when they died, and you know what I wasn’t sad I was relieved that they couldn’t destroy me anymore. I thought that would be the last time I was hit, but I was wrong.” The frown he had been sporting deepened. “After my parents died I went to live with my cousin. He was a great man,” Almost cracking a smile at this, he continued, “he had so much money, but unlike my parents he worked for his. He treated me like his own son, but he was shot a year later. I lost him and he was the only parent I ever truly had. After that I was sent to live with an aunt of mine.” He gagged with the memory of her. “She thought she would get my parents and my cousins money, considering they had left it all to me, but it was kept in a bank account until I came of age,” smugly stated. “My aunt was so angry. She only wanted the money, so she made me here slave. She hit me and kicked me for almost four years. The day I turned eighteen I left. I created my empire, and I promised myself I would never ever fall in love because it only leads to pain.” Mathew finally sobbed, with the thought of how lonely he was.

Scarlette just held his head to her chest and cooed “It’s over. It’s all over.” Mathew quickly shot up from Scarlette’s lap he straightened his button down shirt.

He cleared his throat and explained in his usual strong indifferent voice, “I’m sorry about that, a moment of weakness. It won’t ever happen again.”

“Why are you apologizing? It’s okay to have feelings.”

“It was ridiculous and unnecessary,” Mathew snapped.

“Feelings aren’t ridiculous, they are human.”

“Hah! They are pathetic, and weak.”

“How can you say that?” Scarlette yelled.

“Because it’s true. If you don’t like it, leave.”

“Mathew I’m sorry, but don’t shut me out.” Scarlette spoke softly, pulling Mathew to her.

*****

Sarah stopped sobbing as the doctor came out. He called her name and she jumped up and scurried over to him. “Is…. Is he okay?”

“Are you Mathew Clearwater’s daughter?”

Sarah nodded. “I regret to inform you your father has died,” the doctor said.

Sarah hit the ground sobbing, “Why did he insist on shutting me out? Why did he always push me away? Why didn’t he want me?”

“Your father had his reasons, Sarah. I’m sure he loved you,” Sarah’s mother said.

“Just like he loved you, Scarlette,” Sarah snapped at her mother.

*****

Mathew was awaiting Scarlette’s return when the phone rang. “Mathew Clearwater.” Mathew announced.

“Mr. Clearwater this is the hospital calling to let you know we found a cancerous tumor during your last checkup.”

“What?”

“There is a chance it’s still in its earlier stages, and can be treated easily. But we’ll need you to come in for more tests.”

“Yeah sure that’s fine. I’ll have my people set something up.” Mathew then hung up promptly, because the doorbell rang. “Scarlette,” Mathew greeted opening the door. They then sat down to watch a movie.

Mathew lay across his couch, Scarlette in his arms. Scarlette was content and let “I love you,” slip from her mouth.

Mathew jumped up sending Scarlette to the floor. “What did you just say?” Mathew stuttered, fear raking though his body.

“I said I love you,” Scarlette snapped, upset she had just been thrown on the floor.

“I told you once I would never fall in love,” he yelled. “This can’t be happening,” he thought, “I can’t leave her like my cousin left me.”

“Why are you being like this? I know you feel the same way. I see it in your eyes. Please, don’t do this,” Scarlette pleaded. He can’t leave me, not after everything we’ve been through.

“I told you Scarlette. I warned you,” Mathew snapped trying to get her to leave him now, so he didn’t have to make her. He wouldn’t die and leave her alone, still in love with him. He would break her heart now, so it could heal later.

“I’m pregnant,” Scarlette cried, trying to change his mind.

Mathew almost broke and took her in his arms, but he had to do this it was best for her. “Do you think I care? I’ll pay for the kid, but that’s it. Now get out,” he snapped hoping it was believable.

“Mathew please,” Scarlette begged.

“I said get out,” Mathew growled, losing his will to fight her on this. With that Scarlette left, tears streaming down her face as she slammed the door. Mathew stared at the door crying, and then took off towards it. He couldn’t let her leave. He loved her. He could get through anything as long as he had her, but when he opened the door she was gone. All that was left was the dust from her car ripping through the drive way. Mathew heart shattered for the final time.

*****

“I’m sorry,” Sarah sobbed to her mom now that they were once again in the hospital chairs.

“It’s okay. You were hurt and upset,” Scarlette hummed.

“Why wouldn’t he let me in?”

“I don’t know, but your father always had his reasons. Now come on, we have to get some sleep. We’ll deal with everything else tomorrow,” Scarlette said leading her daughter out of the hospital. “Crap, I forgot my purse. I’ll meet you in the car,” Scarlette lied smoothly. With that she slipped back into the hospital, and followed the signs to the morgue. She took a deep breath as she arrived nervous for what she would see. Once she had got her courage she opened the door she quickly slipped in before she could change her mind. She walked over to the bag marked with Mathew’s name and undid the zipper only enough so his head popped out. She lost it when she saw his face, tears poured out. “How could you have made me leave? How could you have not told me you loved me? I know you loved me, so why didn’t you say it? Why didn’t you let me in?” she screamed at Mathew’s corpse, finally letting her feelings out. She sat in their crying for a while, knowing this was her last goodbye to him, because her daughter was waiting for her. “I love you,” Scarlette whispered, kissing his head. With those last words she walked to the car, were her daughter was waiting.