You.. | Teen Ink

You..

June 21, 2014
By ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri
More by this author
ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.


Author's note:

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

I am in the waiting room of a mental hospital—excuse me, mental rehabilitation center—and thinking about how utterly ridiculous that idea is. A waiting room, I mean. Do people come in here with delusions of a six-foot tall rabbit telling them that the world is ending, and are asked to take a number and relax? Someone will be with them shortly. Do they just hope that the crazy will subside itself long enough? I’m guessing not. Because judging by the coffee and magazines on mental illness, this place seems more for people like me, and not people like you.
There is a clock directly in front me. The standard issue; round with a black frame. Stacey is jiggling her leg next to me. Her high heel makes a clicking sound every time it hits the linoleum. Normally I would be bothered by this. But at that moment, all I could focus on was the clock. It was counting down my nerves. With every passing second, every slow stick-tock of the clock, I was realizing exactly how much I didn’t want to be here. How much I didn’t want to see you.

Your mother comes in and nods at the both of us. This is our cue to move. Stacey shoots up and drags me with her. She stands for a moment, lets in a big breath, and then blows it out. She’s nervous. I can tell. From the way she flips her blond hair over her shoulder then moves it back. The way she smooth’s her skirt, and checks her make-up even though she knows she looks perfect. She always does. I wonder if you and Stacey had never met, would we still be here right now. Would you?

Your mother tells us that you’re in the rec room. She points to a double door, and then pretends she’s going to use the restroom. Stacey walks in first. I trail behind her. The walls are completely void of color. The patients are all wearing beige pajamas and bathrobes. Stacey taps my arm and tells me she sees you. “Where?” I turn my head in the direction she’s pointing, but don’t see anything. She points again. “There.” And suddenly you come into focus. I am surprised to see how much you blend in here. You’re sitting in the corner of the room away from everyone else. Your head is turned towards the window, but I can tell you’re not looking through it. You’re lost in some memory. The way you always are. I wonder if those memories are the reason you got sent here.

Stacey and I walk up to your table. You don’t look away from the window. Stacey calls your name. You don’t look away from the window. We sit across from you. Try to get your attention. Stacey talks about the drive over here. How we nearly hit a cow out in the middle of nowhere. I stare at your face. Look for a reaction and see none. Because you aren’t here, are you? In the middle of nowhere; that’s where you were all this time? When we thought you were here with us. When we thought you were okay, you were really drifting, weren’t you; Out in the middle of nowhere.

In the table next to us there is a girl painting red swirls on a white canvas. Over and over again her hand retraces the pattern. Stacey is rambling to you about something, but I can’t hear what it is. I am too focused on the painting. Thick red globs of paint smeared on white. Like blood dripping on porcelain, like your blood. Your voice suddenly breaks me from my trance. “You don’t want to be here, do you?” Stacey starts reassuring you of exactly how much she wants to be here, but you just shake your head. “No, Stace. Not you.” Then you turn to me with a smug grin on your face and all I want to do is hit you. Instead, my hand grips the side of my chair until my knuckles turn white. I look you in the eyes and say no. I don’t want to be here. Your gaze shifts back to the window. “So, go.” I am stunned by what you say. The only reason that we’re here—that I’m here—is because your mother said you wanted to see us. I never wanted to come. I never wanted to be here. Everything smelled sterilized and synthetic. The whole building was packed with people—with nurses, doctors, patients—but it is all surprisingly empty. To be honest it reminded me of you, and right now I couldn’t stand the thought. And as if you were reading my mind, you turn to me and say those words again. “So, go.” And this time I do. Stacey calls my name as I leave, but I ignore her. And even though I don’t realize it yet, at that moment, I hated you.
~

The wind blows against me, as I enter the parking lot. During my storm out, I had forgotten that Stacey was the one who drove. So there I stood. In the frigid October air with nothing but my thin hoodie to protect me. I had left my coat in the car thinking I wouldn’t be out here that long. And luckily I wasn’t. Stacey walks out into the parking lot a few minutes later. She wraps her purple scarf around her neck, and searches the parking lot for me, or her car. It was hard to tell which. I wave over to her when she finally spots me (and the car), and she starts walking over to me (us). From her quick stride and heavy footsteps, I can tell she is angry. When she finally arrives at the car, she unlocks her door without saying a word to me. I grips the door handle to open it, but it’s still locked. I cross my arms and stare at Stacey from across the roof of the car. She does the same. I didn’t want to apologize for walking out, because I wasn’t sorry. And Stacey didn’t want to forgive me, because I had promised to go. So we were at an impasse, a silent one. She knew I didn’t want to come in the first place. But I had promised because of her. The wind whips by me, and makes a hollow screech as it passes. I shiver at the sound of it. Stacey notices, and seeing that neither of us is going to budge, offers a truce and unlocks my door. She opens the driver side door, but before stepping in she looks at me one last time. “I told you, you should have brought your coat.” And just like that, all was forgiven, at least for now.
~

“Six weeks, Brandon.” Stacey was swerving up and down the highway now. “That’s how long it’s been since we’ve seen him.” She could barely control the wheel as she gestured wildly with her hands. I’ve never seen anyone worse at multi-tasking. “I know how long it’s been, Stace.” I reply calmly. “Now can you please focus on the road?” Stacey scoffs at me. “Um, will everyone who actually has their license please raise their hand?” She raises her and the car veers to the left. She corrects herself then quickly looks over at me with a smug grin. I just frown at her. “The only reason you got your license before me, is because you had the hundred year old instructor. Who was technically blind, by the way.” She waves me off. “The point is that I have my license and you don’t, so you don’t get to judge my driving.” We exit the highway and I feel myself relax. “Anyway,” she says. “You’re not going to get away that easily.” I lean my head against window. The cool air was a nice contrast from the searing heat blasting through Stacey’s vents. “Get away with what?” Stacey pulls into the parking lot of our local diner. “Why did you walk out like that?” She puts the car in park then turns to me with a hurt expression. I guess all wasn’t forgiven after all. “Didn’t you hear? He told me to go.” Stacey crosses her arms frowning at me. “You could have stayed. In fact, you promised to stay.” “Well, technically I promised to go, and I did. So you really have nothing to be mad about.” Relaxing her shoulders Stacey uncrosses her arms. Her expression changes from anger to disappointment, and somehow that was much worse. “I’m not mad, Brandon.” She says rubbing her hand across her forehead. “I just thought you wanted to help him too.” Before I could respond, Stacey unlocks the doors and steps out of the car. I watch her step into the diner alone while I sit motionless in the car. Stacey was right. I didn’t want to help you. But if she knew what really happened, I don’t think even she’d want to help you either.

After a few moments alone in the car, I decide to join Stacey. She is sitting in our usual booth near the window. Her face buried in a menu, even though she has it memorized by now. Sitting down in front of her, I grab the menu out of Stacey’s hand and set it to the side. “It’s not that I don’t want to help him.” Stacey looks up at me then. “I just don’t know how.” Her expression softens and she takes my hands in hers. “I know it’s hard, but we’re going to figure it out together.” I nod giving her a small smile. She returns the gesture then lets go of my hands. Cindy, our middle aged waitress, walks over to us notepad in hand. “So,” she says. “Will it be the usual for you crazy kids?” Stacey and I both nod our heads. Cindy turns to walk away, then pauses and turns back around. She has this look on her face, and I just know she’s going to ask about you. “So how’s---“ “Excuse me.” Before she has a chance to even say your name I say I need to use the restroom. I know it’s unfair to leave Stacey to endure the pitying looks alone, but I just can’t handle it right now. Once I’m in the restroom, I turn around and lock the door. Luckily the bathroom was only made for one person at a time.
As I place my hands on either side of the sink, the memory that’s been haunting my brain ever since that night suddenly fills my vision.
I am not supposed to be there that night. I am supposed to be out to the movies with some kids from my gym class to prove to you that I have other friends, but I left my wallet in your room the other night. I am not supposed to be there to call 911. I am not supposed to be there to catch you when you fall. I am not supposed to be there shouting out for help. I am not supposed to be there. But I am. And you hate me for it.




After Stacey dropped me off at home, I spend the rest of the day lying on my bed. The volume on my iPod blasted to eleven. My mother came in several times to check on me. She was eager to hear how my visit went. I told her it was fine. “Well, what do you mean by ‘fine’?” “I mean it was fine, mom.” Not wanting to push anymore, she just nodded her head, and gave me a small smile. “If you need anything, honey…” she left the statement open figuring that I would know the rest. I managed to return her smile. “Yeah, I know mom. Thanks.” Every time she left I pulled out my beat-up copy of Slaughterhouse-five. It was a gift from my father. Back when he could give gifts and cared enough to. Inside the pages, there was a note hidden; a letter from you. I didn’t know when you had hid it there. You must have known that I’d find it soon after they had found you. That I’d want to curl up with it and try to make sense of the world again. I don’t know if you remember, but the note read like this:
What is there really to say, B. I’m sorry? Well, that’s too cliché. I felt like I never really belonged anywhere. Ugh, that’s even worse. I won’t bother explaining to you why, because there is no why. There is no because. There is no neat little bubble that you can fill in on some suicide test form. This is my life, Brandon. And I don’t want to be a part of it anymore. This probably doesn’t make any sense. I’ve always said that all the good words in the world are already taken. So here are some good words.
The note was taped to one of the pages in my book. There was an arrow at the bottom pointing right. I turned the page, and found the words that he couldn’t seem to get across.



I shut the book and placed it back on my desk. I shut my lamp off and kicked off my pants then my I pulled off my shirt. Lying there in the dark, with just my underwear and the cool of the wind through the tiny crack in my window, I stared out into the night sky and thought of the stars. They were blazing even against the city’s lights. They were different stars from the night before. Some had probably burned out long before I even knew they were dying.

My mother’s making me see a therapist. She thinks it will help me, to help you. Stacey thinks this is a good idea too. After all, helping you is the most important thing right now. I wonder how they would feel if they knew you didn’t want their help. You never wanted anyone’s help. That the whole reason we’re here right now, isn’t it? The reason I’m staring at a ship in a glass bottle, while a slightly overweight man with faded blond hair scribbles in his notepad about my absentmindedness. “You’re not very talkative today.” He says.
I roll my eyes at him. “They teach you those observational skills at Harvard?” he scribbles in his notepad again, and I roll my eyes even further into my head.
“Actually I received my Ph.D. in Behavioral Psychology at Cornell.”
“Well, good for you, doctor. But you should have opted for an English degree instead; seems like you do more writing, then psychoanalyzing.”
“Does it bother you when I take notes?” He crossed his legs and sat up a straighter in his chair when he asked it. I bet he though we were making a break-through of some kind.
“It bothers me that I’m here at all.”
“Because you don’t think you need to be.”
“Because I know I don’t need to be.”
“Right, but Devon does?”
My jaw clenches at the sound of his name. “I don’t know what Devon needs.”
“Maybe you don’t know what you need.”
I look away from him, and stare at the clock next to his framed Ph.D. “I know I don’t need to be here.”
“And why is that?”
I stare at the timer on his desk. It tracks how much time we have in the session. Two minutes. I decide to ignore the good doctor’s question, and ride out the rest of the time.
“What is it that makes you so resistant? I’m only here to help. Doesn’t everyone need help from time to time?”
“This isn’t one of those times, Doc.” The timer on his desk goes off, and I jump out of my seat “Looks like it’s time for your next appointment though.”
He stands up to show me out. My mother is waiting on the other side anxious to see how the session went. Stacey is with her too. “So.” They both ask. “I feel like grabbing a bite.” I respond. Stacey and my mother both pull out their car keys and glance awkwardly at each other then back at me. They wanted me to make the decision, so I did. “I’ll see you at home, mom.” She nods slightly then smiles at me. And as hard as she tries, she can’t hide the disappointment on her face. Stacey links her arm through mine. “I’ll get him home safe, Mrs. Matthews.” She says as we walk out the door. Stacey and I hop into her car and wave to my mom as she drives away. After she turns the ignition on, she asks me where I want to go. “The diner.” I reply. “Oh, come on. We go there all the time.” She whines. “Exactly.” I say. “So we know what to expect.” She pulls out of the parking lot then turns to me. “Let’s go to the park instead.” I turn towards Stacey, but her eyes are focused ahead. “You know you weren’t hungry anyway.” I smile and watch the road ahead. Even when she wasn’t looking, she could still see right through me.

“The field” was an abandoned park that Stacey and I found when we were kids—before we knew you. There was always an unspoken agreement between us that neither of us would ever tell you about this place. When we arrive there, Stacey and I make our way to our usual spots by the picnic tables. Snow covers the ground, so Stacey sits on the bench. I, instead, choose to lie on top of the table. “So, really,” Stacey says. “How was the session today?”
I take a deep breath, feeling the icy October air piercing my lungs. “Same as last week.”
“And how was last week?”
“Same as the week before.”
Now it’s Stacey who sighs at me. She rests her elbow on the table, resting her chin in her hand. “You’re impossible. You know that, right?”
Stacey stares at me, and I can see a question forming on her lips. “Don’t,” I say preemptively.
“Don’t what?” she asks innocently.
“Don’t ask if I’m okay.”
“I wasn’t going to.”
“Because I’m fine.”
“I know that.”
“Good.”
“You’re fine.”
“Yep.”
“Right?”
I roll my eyes and remain silent.
“This isn’t one of your therapy sessions,” she says. “You don’t have to pretend with me.”
“Who says I’m pretending.”
“I just wish that you would talk to somebody about it. About him.”
I look over at her face. In that moment I think about telling her the truth about you. I’ve thought about it so many times before. But, in the end, I could never bring myself to do it—to see that look on her face. Most of all, I was too afraid of what she would think of me for keeping your secret. It was that same thought that had stopped me thousands of times before. It was the same thought that was stopping me now. I look at the sky to avoid thinking about it.
“What’s there to say, Stace?”
“Anything you want.”
“Do you remember when this place was just for the two of us?”
“Brandon.”
“You said anything, Stacey. I remember when this place was just for the two of us.”
“It’s almost Halloween,” Stacey says changing the subject. “Do you remember last Halloween? It snowed really early. You and Devon went sledding down Reiden hill.”
“Yeah, it’s kind of hard to forget. I dislocated my collar bone.”
“You two were always doing stupid stuff like that.”
“Devon was always doing stupid stuff like that and dragging me with him.”
“You could have chosen not to go.”
“You make it sound so easy.”
“Why wouldn’t it be?”
“You know why?”

Stacey doesn’t say anything else after that, and neither do I. She watches the murky sky threaten us with rain, while I watch her: scarf, hat, gloves, a slightly peaceful look on her face. She looked so different from the last time we were here. A week after you’d been in the hospital, when they wouldn’t let anyone but family see you, I found Stacey here, wrapped up in one of your sweatshirts even though it had to be in the high eighties. She didn’t seem to notice. When she saw me, she collapsed into my arms and all I could smell was you. Stacey notices me staring and turns towards me.
“What?” she asks.
“Nothing,” I say.
She lets out a breath and watches the puff of white dissipate into the air. “It’s cold,” she says.
“Yeah.”
“Should we go?”
“I think so.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Sep. 25 2014 at 11:27 pm
theblondechick GOLD, Kingsport, Tennessee
14 articles 0 photos 104 comments

Favorite Quote:
I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited.
-Sylvia Path

Oh, wow! It's so heartbreaking. I was only planning to read the first chapter, but the characters just sucked me. They had so much character and depth. I felt for Brandon and Devon, and even Stacy. (How I would love to know their backstory!) You write with maturity and an understanding that I don't see in a lot of writers my age. I would love to see you finnish this. I certainly would be up to read it.

on Sep. 4 2014 at 8:31 pm
AutumnMoon BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We see our better selves in the eyes of those who love us." -Cassandra Clare

I was very impressed by this story. It was heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time. I am truley interested in what happens to the characters and I feel like I know them. About half way down your third chapter (when Stacy and Brandon are talking in the car) you forgot the 't' at the end of 'but.' Besides that, it looks wondeful. Great job!