Save Me! | Teen Ink

Save Me!

June 6, 2014
By Kenzie10, Lindenwold, New Jersey
More by this author
Kenzie10, Lindenwold, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can do anything you put your mind to."


Author's note: I really loved writing this piece and I hope that you like it as well.

“Pop-pop!” I yelled trying to find Grandpa Ken.
“I’m out in the barn Mar.” He yelled in reply. I walked off to the porch and the litter of puppies followed behind me.
“How is she?” I asked him. His horse Candy was in labor with her first fowl and it was going excruciatingly slow.
“She’s doin’ fine, just a long process.” He said in his southern drawl.
“Okay. Well I’m gonna go take a walk down through the field I’ll be back before dark.” I said and went inside to change my sneakers for some boots.

I thought about taking the four-wheeler out for a spin, but the fresh air and open space looked appealing so I just decided to wonder along. It didn't take long for me to reach the property line, and I wasn't ready to go back. I stopped for a second and pulled out my phone to check the time it was only three thirty, plenty of time for a little exploration. I knew I shouldn't, but I jumped the fence anyway and headed into the woods. I had walked somewhere around a half a mile before I came to a clearing in the trees. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an old tractor in the middle of the corn field. From my angle it looked vacant, the fresh track and smoke coming from the pipe however told me different. Then I got this sick feeling in my stomach. If the tractor was running where was the driver? Something cold and hard hit the back of my head and everything went black.

I woke up in the hayloft of a barn, lying on a pile of fresh hay. The animal manure burned my nostrils, and pain in my skull engulfed me. I tried to move, but quickly realized that I was chained down at the ankles. I knew it would be a fruitless effort to try and break free of the chains. By this time my head was throbbing. Slowly I started to slip back into unconsciousness.

I have no idea how much time passed while I was sleeping. All I know is that when I woke the sun was coming up again. I heard the familiar call of the rooster and the sounds of all the animals coming awake. It took a minute for me to realize that I wasn't home with grandpa. Suddenly the door to the barn creaked open and a young boy came in. He was tall, probably a good six foot, with light brown hair and crystal blue eyes. I knew he hadn't seen me and I wanted to keep it that way, but for some reason I couldn't think that he was the one who kidnapped me. He looked to gentle. He looked to kind. Before I knew what was happening I heard the rungs on the ladder creak from his weight. A sudden wave of fear surged forward. I knew I couldn't move so I decided to pretend that I was asleep. Way too soon he was at the top of the ladder. My heart was beating wildly. So much so that I was sure I was going to have a heart attack. Then I heard a gasp and I knew then and there that he wasn't my captor.

“What has he done?” The boy whispered to himself.
Then he leaned down to check and see if I had a pulse. Before he put his fingers on my throat I let my eyes flutter open. He flinched back and landed on his rump.
“Sorry I didn't mean to scare you.” I said.
It seemed kind of dumb for me to say sorry when I was the one chained up, but it was instinctive.
“I…I…How did you get up here? Why are you chained up?” He asked
“The answer to you first question is I have no freaking clue. And the answer to your second question is I don’t freaking know.” I said.
When I realized he had no idea I had been here I assumed that I had only been out for one night.
“Well I know you weren't here yesterday morning. That means he had to have brought you here last night.” The boy said muttering to himself.
“Wait, who is the he you’re talking about?” I said hoping the boy would be able to help me escape.
He didn't answer my question right away.
“He, is my father.” The boy said hesitantly.
“What? Why did your father hit me over the head and chain me up in this old barn?” I said freaking out slightly.
I settled down quickly though because when my heart rate went up, so did the pain in my head.
“I don’t know the answer to that question. Listen, I’m going to go do my morning chores and when he goes to the field to water the corn and peanuts I’ll bring you some food and water.” He said moving toward the ladder.
“Wait, what’s your name?” I don’t know why I wanted to know, I just did.
“My name’s David. How ‘bout you?” He asked in that southern drawl that everyone down here in Fitzburg, Georgia seemed to have.
“Marah, my name’s Marah.” I said taking a deep breath.
“That’s a pretty name.” He said blushing.
I didn't say anything else I just smiled and watched him go about watering and feeding the animals. I don’t know how I managed a smile in the predicament I was in but for some reason this little country bumpkin boy sparked a fire within my heart. The day seemed to drag on. I knew only a few hours had passed but it felt like an eternity. All of a sudden the barn doors creaked open. I hoped it was David bringing food and water to me; instead it was my worst nightmare. He hadn't seen me yet so I pretended sleep.
“Wake up you little b****!” The deep baritone voice said as he kicked me in the ribs.
I gasped for air and my eyes flew open. “I knew you wasn't sleeping.” He said as he unbuckled his belt.
“Why did you take me from the woods? I wasn't hurting anything.” I said choking up.
He didn't say anything he just kept removing layers of clothing and tossing them aside. “Get on your knees.” He ordered.
He made me do things to him that I can’t even think of without crying. Every time I would hesitate he would punch, kick, or slap me. After the first few times I didn't hesitate anymore. It seemed like he lasted for hours. He was moaning in pleasure, I was sobbing in complete brokenness. Finally he seemed to be finished. He collapsed on top of me. His body was coated in sweat, and he had a smile on his thin lips. After a half hour or so he inched upward and just stared at my naked, mutilated form. His piercing grey eyes intently took in every last millimeter of my body. His black hair was nothing like his soft looking son’s honey brown. Honestly nothing about him was similar to David at all. Eventually he started getting dressed, once dressed he ventured to the ladder and started climbing down. When he had gone down like two rungs he said, “I’ll be back.” Those chilling words still ring in my ears from time to time. I didn't have the motivation or the strength to get dressed after he departed. I fell into a sleep type of unconsciousness. “Marah?” Someone whispered. “Marah?” I heard it again. “Marah?” I heard it more clearly and louder this time. I opened my eyes and saw David paused at the top of the ladder. He gaped at me and I didn't know why. Then it surged into my mind that I was still naked from the assault earlier.
“Oh. Do you…do you think you could help me get dressed?” I asked embarrassed.
He didn't say anything he just gathered up my clothes that we strung all over the hay loft and brought them to me. For some reason my panties were gone but the rest of my clothes were there. Then I remembered that the man had taken my underwear with him. It really didn't matter to me I was just happy to be back in my clothes.
“I was in the woods earlier hunting and I ran into a search party for you.” David said not looking into my eyes.
“Really?” I asked.
I hadn't really thought about the fact that Pop pop would be looking for me.
“Here I have some bread and chili for you.” David said as he pulled it out of the basket I hadn't noticed him carrying.
“Thank you.” I said digging in like a tiger after killing an antelope.
“Look I have to go before they miss me, but I will be back in the morning. I’m trying to find a way to set you free.” He said moving toward the all too familiar ladder that was the only way I was getting out of here.
He looked back once. When our eyes connected it hit me that if he set me free his father might hurt him or worse. I wanted to ask questions and bombard him with advice of caution and care. By the time I had grasped what was in store for him he was already walking out the old sliding door. Another hot, sticky night passed in fortunate silence. Only the sounds of the night made their way into my ears. The morning came too quickly, and I was terrified at what was going to follow it. David came in and did his chores as he had the day before and a very pregnant woman followed in behind him.
“David? Are you in here?” She whispered from the door.
“Yeah mom, I’m over here with Kelly.”
She made her way over to the horse and found David brushing her beautiful chocolate mane.
“I think he’s at it again.” She said somberly.
I started connecting the pieces then. I wasn't the first girl he had done this too.
“Mom…Mom please don’t be mad at me.” He said turning away so he wasn't facing her.
Instead he was facing me.
“Why would I be mad?” She said placing a hand on her swollen belly and looked befuddled.
“Look.” Was all he said and pointed a finger at me.
My heart dropped into my stomach and my first instinct was to duck. It was too late though she had seen me. Her gasp told me that much.
“How long had she been here?” David’s mom asked him.
“Two days maybe three.” He replied.
They just looked at each other and shared a moment of what looked like loss. “We have to do something.” His mother said looking amazingly composed.
“Yeah…I know I had already planned to set her free.” He said turning and glancing at me again.
“No…David if he found out…I…” She couldn't finish her sentence because her voiced cracked and silent tears spilled from her eyes.
“Mom you are due in a few weeks and I have a better chance of withstanding his wrath than you do.” David said in a firm tone.
“I won’t let you risk that.” She said in a half-hearted whisper.
It was like she knew she couldn't stop him but she had to say it anyway.
“Beth! I’m doing it and you cannot stop me.” He said and walked out of the barn.
Beth stayed for a while sitting in hay next to the horse David had been grooming. It was extraordinary what happened. It was like the horse knew she was sad and hurting. Kelly as David had called her laid down and placed her head in the crooked of Beth’s neck. Beth was thankful and clung to her for dear life. After a good twenty minutes Beth crawled to her feet and patted Kelly on the neck and walked out in the direction David had gone. Another day drug on as the two before it had. At dusk I heard the door to the barn creak and groan open but I couldn't see who came through it.
“It’s just me.” A smooth, sweet voice said from the ladder.
David’s voice was like seeing the first flower of spring after a long harsh winter. He inched up the ladder making sure that the old rungs didn't creak.
“I thought you were him.” I said letting the breath I had been holding out.
There was no need to say who the ‘him’ I referred to was because we both knew. David didn't say anything in reply he just handed me a basket with what must have been his mother’s clothes in it.
“Change into these so I can get you out of here.” He turned around to give me a little bit of privacy.
It didn't take me long to change the shirt and bra but I was still chained up and I couldn't manage the pants and underwear.
“Um..David I’m still chained up.” I whispered.
“Oh my goodness, how could I forget? Hold on.” He said and went to the far right of the loft and opened a little hole in the woodwork.
To my amazement he pulled out a key. He quickly made his way to me and unlocked my chains. I finished dressing and stood on my own two feet for the first time in three days. I felt like fawn taking its first couple steps. My world started spinning and I had to take a few deep breaths before I opened my eyes again.
“Can you make it?” David asked looking concerned.
“I’ll be fine.” I answered.
At this point I wasn't worried about myself anymore. I was worried about him. If he stayed how long would it be before he wasn't breathing anymore? If he stayed what would happen to the unborn child his mother carried? If he stayed, what would the monster do next?
“Come on. You have to go.” He said gripping my arm.
“If I go what will happen to you?” I asked him, knowing the answer.
“I don’t know, but it doesn't matter.” He said looking away.
“It matters to me. It matters to your mom.” I said trying to break through that stone wall he had put up around his emotions.
I thought I had gotten to him because he was silent for a few moments. I was wrong.
“Look, don’t worry about me. I’m nothing to you anyway so why should you care.
Go live your life, go be free.” He said heading towards the ladder.
I knew this game he was playing. He was trying to get me mad enough to just go, to leave without him. I wasn't going to fall for it. I didn't think words would work so I sat down in the hay that had been my home for the last couple days.
“What the hell are you doing?” David said coming back up to the top of the ladder.
“I told you I wasn't leaving without you. I meant it. If you don’t come we both know nothing good with happen. You could be killed. What don’t you understand?” I said trying not to cry.
“I know that there is a chance that I will die if I stay, but if I go what will happen to my mom and my little brother who could come any day?” He said with tears in his eyes.
“I don’t know what will happen to them. The only thing I do know is that your mom would want you to get out. I know that she wouldn't hold it against you. I know that she loves you and we can come back for her and the baby as soon as we get safely away from here.” I said with silent tears rolling down my cheeks.
He didn't say anything right away. It was like he was processing everything I had just said. After what seemed like an eternity he finally looked up at me and stared. Then he said, “I’ll go.” I didn't waste any time after that. I all but ran to the ladder and started descending down the rungs. Once I was all the way down I waited for David because I had no idea where I was going. I mean I didn't even know where I was.
“Follow me.” David said heading the opposite way of the door where everyone had always entered the barn.
We crawled through a low door that almost resembled a doggy door. Then we were only about a hundred yards from the woods. I assumed that once we got to the woods we could go back to my farm. David looked right then left and then told me to sprint across the clearing. I got across without any issues. He followed seconds later.
“Okay, we made it to the woods which was what I was worried about. What’s your last name?” He asked.
I thought it an odd question at the time but I decided to just answer.
“Walker.” I replied.
“Okay so your farm is to the west of here.” He said looking around.
Then I understood why he had asked my last name. People down here in the sticks didn't go by address they just told you their last name and that was all people need to figure out where you lived.
“How far?” I asked.
“About a mile from here. Why were you a mile away from home at dark?” He questioned sounding a lot like my grandfather.
“I just went for a walk because I was bored and I didn't realize how far I had gone.” I said embarrassed.
He didn't say anything he just started walking to the left and I followed silently. Every little hoot, creek, and snapping branch made me jump out of my skin. We had been walking for about ten minutes when we came out to the road.
“I know where I am now.” I said feeling the weight on my shoulders lift a little.
“We are only about five minutes away now.” He said stopping.
“Yea.” Was all I could say.
“There is no cover for the rest of the trip so we have to stay to the edge of the road so that we can hide if we half to. I don’t think we were being followed because I was checking n periodically but anything is possible.” He said and then he grabbed my hand and ran across the dirt road.
We stayed low and seemed to inch ever so slowly down the road. After what seemed like a life time I could see the familiar smoke coming from the chimney and the big uncharacteristically blue barn. The yard was full of cop cars and I noticed my mom’s brand new Camaro sitting out of place amongst the old beat up country dodge trucks. We all but sprinted the last couple hundred feet the driveway clinging to each other’s hands the whole time.
“Who is that?” I heard one of the policemen say.
“That’s her!” I heard my Pop-pop say.
That’s when I really sprinted. I don’t remember letting go of David’s hand but I must have because I tackled my Grandpa. After the initial hugs and crying with my family I ran to the back of the ambulance where I spotted David sitting. He was pushing the paramedics away vehemently telling them he was fine, that they needed to find me and treat my injuries. I ran up to him and squeezed the life out of him.
“Thank you.” I said in a whisper because I was crying.
He just hugged me back and neither of us let go for a good while. A police officer broke our moment and started asking questions.
“Do you know who did this to you?” He asked in a light tone.
I guess trying not to upset me or something. Regardless I cut him off.
“Sir you need to go to the farm to the southeast of here. It’s about a mile up the road and you will find the man who raped, tortured, and kidnapped me. His pregnant wife needs to be rescued immediately.” I said trying to get it out as quick as I could.
“Whoa slow down.” He said getting his head around what I just said.
“Look, go now! This is his son and he saved me. You need to go do some saving yourself.” I said and walked back over to David.
“I just sent them to your house.” I told him when he looked confused at the flurry of cars flying out of my driveway.
“Wait shouldn't I go with them?” He said standing up.
“No, it isn't safe for you to go. We have no idea what is going to happen once they arrive.” I said placing a firm hand on his chest to make him sit again.
“I guess you’re right.” He said looking defeated.
The people checked me over and decided that the hospital visit wasn't something that had to happen right that moment so I reunited with my family and introduced David to them. I spared them the gory details of my abduction; it wasn't something that needed to be discussed in a time of happiness. Within an hour I heard sirens coming back towards us. The sheriff got out of his car and David’s mom was in the back seat.
“Is she alright?” David said flying towards the car.
“Yes son she’s doin’ just fine. The babes coming but she is alright.” The sheriff walked to the paramedics and told them her situation and they rushed to the car and got into the ambulance.
David decided to go with them in the ambulance and I told him I would catch up with him at the hospital. After the ambulance pulled away and commotion was over the sheriff asked for my Grandpa Ken and my mom to come over to where we were standing.
“The fella we were after ran into the woods when he heard us coming. I went inside to check for the woman and sent my men out after him. Once I realized she was in labor I knew I had to take her as my first priority. Luckily though my men caught up to him, I heard over the radio that they got him but he put up a fight. It didn't end in his favor. Bucky had to shoot him. The boy and his mother don’t know yet but I thought you deserved to know, especially you Miss Walker.” The sheriff patted my shoulder comfortingly and walked towards his car.
“Come on we need to go to the hospital too.” Pop-pop said looking at me.
I trudged along after him to the car. The thirty minute ride to the hospital flew by. I told my mom and grandpa everything that happened while I was gone and after then kind of just sat there in silence. Surprisingly I liked that. If they had cried or started coddling me I would have been annoyed. Finally we pulled in. My mom signed me into the emergency room and we went and sat down in the waiting area. They ran all kinds of test once they took me back and I had to have a very uncomfortable examination. In the end they told me I was fine. A little dehydrated and mutilated but fine. I got discharged and I immediately went to the nurses’ station to find out where Beth and David were. A nice lady with graying blond hair told me they were in room 418. The elevator ride was too long and I nearly ran out of it went the doors opened. I got a little lost, but eventually I saw David standing outside of a room.
“How is she?” I asked him.
“She’s good. The baby came about five minutes ago. They are both getting cleaned up right now.” He said looking relieved and happy for the first time since I met him.
“That great. What’s the baby’s name?” I don’t know why I asked but I did.
“Tommy. It was my mom’s dad’s name.” He had been leaning on the wall but all abrupt he stood up and hugged me.
“How are you?” He whispered in my ear.
“I’m hanging in there.” I said, my voice cracking with the effort to hold back the tears that wanted to spill out.
Neither of us said anything else because the nurse came out and told us we could go in now. I grabbed David’s arm to stop him for a second.
“Do you think she is going to want me here?” I asked.
“Why wouldn't she? You are the reason she is free.” He said turning and walking into the room.
“Hi, how are you?” I said meekly from behind David’s shoulder.
“I’m great. A little tired though I must say.” She said chuckling.
I let a little giggle loose too. The minute we had walked in David walked over to the little cradle where Tommy was laying seemingly asleep and picked him up. Ten minutes had passed and he didn’t show any signs of putting him down. It made a funny feeling rise in my chest. I think the word for it is love.





Epilogue:
Six years later:

“How’s the crib coming?” I asked from the living room. “Well Marah,” He said coming up behind me and resting his hands on my tummy, “It’s done.” “Let me see!” I said excited. We walked into the nursery and sure enough the crib and all its little accessories were up. “David, it’s so adorable. Just like you.” I said kissing his scruffy cheek. “I love you Mar. I have loved you since the first moment I saw you up in the hay loft.” After five years of marriage the love we shared hasn't dimmed or faded one bit. With a little boy on the way and the future ahead of us love will pave the way.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.