Deeper than the Surface | Teen Ink

Deeper than the Surface

By Gracie9, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Gracie9, Wyckoff, New Jersey

"Everything happens for a reason."

A pair of white heels steps out of the limo. Then a pair of red pumps. Paige and her mother walk to the entrance of the party. The air is crisp, and wind blows their professionally done hair out of their eyes. Paige places her cashmere sweater in coat check, and takes a long, deep breath to endure yet another cocktail charity event. She looks down at her Marc Jacobs dress, as her mother kisses her on the cheek. “Lighten up, Paige. I need to set a good example for my company, and my moping daughter isn’t going to ruin it for me.” Her mother hissed in her ear. The gold and white theme of the ballroom is dashing. The clatter of $300 heels and classical music fills the room. Paige orders herself a ginger ale, and flips open her phone.

She reads old emails and tries to avoid eye contact with anymore company owners. Gia Wilding taps Paige on the back, and grins. Paige smiles at her best friend, then looks back down at her emails. “I got my dress for the charity Gala, mother helped me pick it out. It was a fabulous afternoon! I was going to text you to come along! John surprised me for lunch, too. He took me to the Fire Cafe, and then we-”

“Gia, I would love to hear about your ‘fabulous’ boyfriend, but I’m supposed to be meeting mine. Have you seen him?” Paige fixes her brown bouncy curls, and smoothes over her dress. Sandra Abrams, the owner of a mainstream reality company, starts to stroll over to them.

“Good evening, Paige. Your mother was speaking to me about the academic level of your classes, this year. I can offer you a great internship offer this summer. Let me-”
At this point of the conversation, Paige had stopped listening. Every party event brings new offers of internships. Every new offer makes Paige step back and think about what her life has become... constant social events... maintaining straight A’s at Crestwood academies... spending time with the perfect boyfriend... and following in her mother’s foot steps. Paige is a living prodigy, and hundreds of young girls dream to be her. Yet, Paige dreams to be anything... but her.
Paige’s eyes are anywhere but the classy realtor that stands before her. Her gaze meets a father and daughter. The beautiful young girl giggles, and rests her head on her father’s shoulder. He picks her up and spins her around. The girl’s silk gown looks magical as they twirl around, and around. Paige smiles and feels her heart swell with happiness, and jealousy.
As a tradition at Crestwood Academies, every year, young girls meet Paige and hand her tiara’s with their phone numbers. Paige sifts through the crowns and finds new aspiring freshman to join her clique. Yet, with all of the Chanel and Coach tiaras, Paige can’t find happiness. Paige only wants one tiara. The one she sees and remembers in that picture next to her bed. The picture shows Paige only two years old, wearing a purple night gown, goofily smiling, and a sparkly crown perched on top of her brown curls. A hand is reaching out to fix the crown from falling off. After hours of analyzing, Paige knows that hand is her fathers.
The crown given to Paige by her father is the only tiara Paige wants. She wants a daddy to hold her tight, and tuck her into her bed. She wants a father to complete this lifestyle.
“Ms Paige? I feel as if my company would serve you well. We have quite an exquisite reputation,” Sandra says, trying to get Paige’s full attention. Paige quickly smiles and nods.
“Thank you so much for the opportunity, Mrs Abrams. I will think of your recommendation towards the spring! If you will excuse me, Gia and I need to speak to someone.” Pulling Gia by the arm, Paige hurries to the entrance of the ballroom. Her heels clatter on the marble tiles as she rolls her eyes.
“You know that was a perfect internship for the summer. You would be great at-” Gia started to say.
Paiges heart stops as someone scoops her up from behind, and kisses her on the forehead. Daniel’s piercing blue eyes strike Paige like lightening. Embracing him tightly, Gia starts to moan. Paige nods for her to leave. “How are you?” Daniel asks while stroking her hair.
“Great...I’m fine.” Paige answers looking down at her white heels. Daniel looks at her intensely, and studies her beautiful face... her big brown eyes... her perfect cheekbones. Paige blushes and stares at the father and daughter from before. As the young girl straps her heels tighter, the father holds her pink purse for her. Those little things about a father is what Paige envies. She wants her dad to help her with the big and the small.
“Paige... I know you’re stressed out with college applications, and internship offers, but I’ve never seen you this distracted. Sweetie, what’s bothering you?” Daniel holds Paige a little tighter, “You can tell me anything, you know that.”
“Daniel, I’m fine.. I’m fine, I-I-I swear. I’m just a tad tired, in fact Monica didn’t fluff the sheets last night, so I didn’t have a great night of sleep,” Paige stares off into the distance, and wishes to be anywhere but here. She tries to back out of Daniel’s grip, and he raises an eyebrow. Feeling her cheeks redden, she rests her head on his shoulder.
Every night, Paige tells herself that she loves him, but he’s too perfect for her. Paige wants a change, something to open her eyes. Deep down, she knows she isn’t the perfection everyone thinks she is. Some nights, she climbs onto the balcony, and stairs up at the night sky. She holds her picture frame tightly to her chest, and wraps an old blanket around her shoulders. She watches as all the cars go left and right, and wonders how each car has a story. The people inside each car have a life, a family, a past. She even pictures her father sitting in one of those cars, ready to take her out of here. The wealth of her lifestyle has crawled deep down into her soul, and changed how she looks at things. She wants to live in a small ranch, let her hair down, and look over the mountains... not the city skyline.
Daniel smiles, and whispers in her ear,“Tell you this, let’s get out of here. I’ll walk you back home and I’ll fluff your sheets for you, and I’ll get you a cup of tea.” Daniel beams at Paige, and starts to pick up her purse for her. Paige starts to walk to coat check, when her mother bumps into her. Her mother grabs her arm, and Paige stumbles backwards.
“Where do you think you’re going? This is a very important event, for me and my business.” Her mother whispers sternly.
“I’m leaving, mother. If this event is concerning you, then why do I need to be in picture?” Paige jerks her arm away.

Paige and Daniel walk slowly as a cool gust of wind blows their hair out of their faces. Daniel holds her hand tightly, and Paige sighs. The full moon shines right into her eyes. As they approach her glass apartment building, she stops walking. “Daniel... I can’t keep walking around like everythings fine,” Paige says softly, staring right into his eyes. She can feel her voice start to tremble, “The sophistication of this lifestyle is too much too handle, at times, you know? And-And-And I don’t have anyone to lean back on... And-And,” Gentle tears slide down her cheeks. Daniel grabs her waist, and softly wipes her tears.
“Hey..Hey... you have me, Paige,” Daniel lightly kisses her lips, and she holds his face in her hands, “Where is this even coming from? What can I do to make you happy?”
Silent tears run down Paige’s face, and she looks up at the night sky, “It’s time... It’s time that I find him,” Taking a shaky breath, she becomes confident. She straightens her back, and opens her eyes wide, staring straight into the moon. “I want to find my father.”

The next morning, Paige pulls her brown hair into a tight bun, and applies shiny lip gloss. Straightening her pink blouse, she opens the grand bathroom doors. Monica, their maid, fluffs the white pillows, and smooths over the purple silk sheets on Paige’s bed. Paige looks over at her white vanity. A red satin dress lays over her chair, and her book bag sits on the floor.
“I got your dress for charity gala dried cleaned, just as you asked. You better hurry, if you’re going to make it on time today. Your history book is over on the shelf,” Monica nods to the book, and Paige turns away, facing the window.
“No need today, Monica. I will not be attending school,” Paige acts nonchalant, as she lounges on her soft window seat. She pulls her knees up to her chest and looks out at the city skyline through the window. Monica raises her eyebrows. “I’m-I’m feeling a bit under the weather... I just need a day to think. You’re dismissed, Monica.” Instead of Monica leaving, she perches herself on the window seat, and holds Paiges hand in hers.
“Now, you tell me. What is bothering you? You haven’t missed classes since first grade!”
“I can’t...” Paige lets her knees collapse and leans onto the purple throw pillows. She feels tears ball up inside her like a waterfall. “I...um... I think it’s time, Monica. I really think I’m ready.” A taxi honks outside, and Paige sits up straight.
“Ready for what, Paige?” Monica insists. Paige slowly stands up She stares out the window, then points to the pond, her favorite place to think. Monica grabs their jackets.

***************
The city air is humid, with a few raindrops starting to fall from the grey sky. Paige and Monica have circled the pond four times, and Paige has fully explained her goal to find her father, to Monica.
Paige pleads for Monica to let her do this, and shifts her leather purse higher on her shoulder. Paige begs. Monica sits down onto the park bench, smoothing over her black skirt. The sky lets out a rumble of thunder, and the pond’s water begins to ripple. Paige opens up her Louis Vuitton umbrella and sits down next to her. “Monica... please. I don’t mean to beg, but this has a been a mystery that has affected my life forever. I need to finish the puzzle, I need to put my feet in the water, I need to-”
Monica holds her hand up, and speaks softly. “Go find him. You need to do what is best for you Paige.” Paige looks stunned, and then looks deep into the pond. After thinking for a moment, she jumps up, closes the umbrella, swings her purse over her arm, and kisses Monica on the cheek. Running away she yells,

“Thank you, Monica!” Paige giggles! She finally opened a door to the past. Her heart beats rapidly, and she doesn’t feel like that proper, sophisticated women that her mom thinks she is. She feels like that goofy girl in the picture frame, that silly girl she once was... the girl her dad thinks she is. Paige pulls out her bun, letting her curls fall to her shoulders. She slips her heels off, and runs through puddles. Tear drops splash her face, allowing her mascara to run, and her hair to get soaked.

Sunshine fills her bedroom, and her master bed sparkles. Paige lounges on her white couch, with her wet hair in a towel, and a pink bathrobe on. She leans her head back, trying to let everything process. She is getting on a flight to California in two hours. She is only hours away from finding her father. She had spent the day before in all types of agencies, trying to find her father’s address... that address that her mother has hidden so well for the past sixteen years. She can feel her hands start to tremble, trying to imagine what his reaction will be. She leans over on her side, and takes long deep breaths. A knock on her door disturbs her thoughts, and she jumps up and tightens her robe. Daniel stands at the doorway, wearing the school uniform and a huge grin. He holds a plate of croissants in one hand, and a frappuccino in the other. He holds out the breakfast. Paige can’t help but smile. The caring ways of Daniel is what she doesn’t deserve. Although her mother doesn’t support her finding her father, she knows Daniel won’t hold her back. Her body starts to shake.
“Daniel, I’m leaving. In just a few short hours, everything will be different for me. And-And I’m scared, Daniel. You just promise me that you won’t say anything to anyone,” Paige takes the coffee out of his soft hands. The warm cup feels good against her trembling fingers. He looks confused, and starts to open his mouth to speak. Instead, Paige kisses him gently. She holds his waist tight, and whispers softly, “Please, Daniel.” He stares into her eyes, and she kisses him again. She takes the croissants out of his hands at puts them on her dresser. Daniel doesn’t say a word, instead slowly walks out of her room. She closes the door behind him, and leans against the wall. Tears form in her eyes, but she ignores them. She has to get going. She flips open her phone, to hundreds of texts from her clique. She quickly texts Gia to collect her homework for her, and then runs to her closet. Paige chooses a white sundress, and pink flats. She leaves her hair down, and doesn’t apply any makeup. She wants her father to remember that cute, natural girl she once was. Grabbing her suitcase, she yells for Monica to call a limo. Paige waits in the living room, but as soon as she hears the buzz of the doorman, she remembers. Sprinting up to her room, she grabs the picture frame.

“Miss? Excuse me?” A flight attendant taps on Paige’s shoulder, “Your flight has landed. We are here in sunny California!” Paige rolls over and squints up at the women. Her hair statics to the seat, and she sits in ball, with a blanket on her lap. She hadn’t slept last night. It takes her a second to remember where she is, and then she looks down at her hands. The picture frame had made indents into her fingers. Paige jumps up and shoves the picture into her backpack. As she runs to baggage claim, she smoothes over her hair and adjusts her earrings. A rush of excitement floods her stomach, and she can feel the croissant in her stomach start to flip. Yet, as she looks around at the airport, she really knows she’s going to vomit. The floors were filled with filth, the air smelt like animals, and the majority of the people wore ripped or stained clothing. A man watches her as she takes her Juicy Couture suitcase off the cart. She looks down at her Prada flats, and can feel her hands start to tremble again.
A grimy taxi takes her through a rundown neighborhood. People sit on boxes in the streets, and in store signs, only two of the letters blink. Each person looks either depressed, or looks like they’re about to commit a crime. Paige quickly shoves her white watch in her backpack, along with her diamond earrings. She anticipates the moment she has to get out of the taxi. The taxi driver stares at her dress through his mirror. Paige fixes her hair, and holds the picture frame even tighter. “Who ya looking for?” the taxi driver asks, taking out his toothpick. “A rich girl like you don’t come to this town unless they’re looking for someone.”
“Excuse me?” Paige says in a worried tone, “Oh... I-I’m looking for my fa-father..”
The man smirks, as he stares at Paige’s expensive shoes. Paige grimaces at him. “I’ll be nice and give ya a tip, be careful. In this town, you’re an easy target.” The man chuckles, and slows down next to a house. An unsettling feelings fills Paige. She has to look twice to make sure it was even a house. The windows were broken, and the door was ajar. The fence was torn down, and dead trees lay across yellow grass. The man holds his dirty hand out to accept her money. Paige throws him a $50, as she cautiously steps out of the car. He speeds away, and the tires screech. Paige’s heart jumps as shades fly up in the upstairs window. She hides behind what is left of the fence, and can feel sweat form on her forehead.
This is it. This is what she wanted all along. This? To be hiding behind a fence, from her father? Paige forces herself not to cry, and slowly walks up to the door. Her heart pounds out of her chest, as she sees beer bottles shattered among the floor. She takes a small step inside, and cigarette smoke fills her lungs. She can hear her mother’s voice telling her this was a mistake. Paige tries everything she can to not run out of that house, and never look back. She holds her phone tight, 911 on speed dial, and holds her breath. A creak upstair, makes her trip over her suitcase. She lays on the floor, sweating and shaking in fear. She tries to get up, but its too late. A man stands on the stairs, and Paige’s heart stops. He wears a ripped white t-shirt, and torn jeans. His brown eyes look red and puffy. His hair is the same as Paige’s... brown curls, yet his were matted down with sweat and grease. My father’s a drunk, Paige thinks to herself. His eyes take in Paige’s appearance. She sits on the floor, and doesn’t say a word. Her heart had stopped beating, and her lungs had stopped breathing. He opens his eyes wide, and she shudders. She closes her eyes tightly, and tells herself to wake up. It’s a dream, Paige. Wake up. Wake up. “Its you. It’s you. It’s really you, isn’t it?” Paige opens her eyes, in shock. The man stands there smiling, yet his eyes are filled with anger. Paige opens her mouth to answer, but she can hardly produce a sound. “It’s you. It’s my daughter. It’s you Paige,” he whispers, trying to keep his voice from quivering. Paige nods, without making a sound. Her phone starts to vibrate in her hand, and that little sound fills the whole room. She denies the call from her mother, and quickly stands up, adjusting her dress. She hesitantly walks to the stairs and puts her hand out. The tension is so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Her father looks down at his bare feet, and then looks at her diamond bracelet and ring on her hand. He looks puzzled, and there was a long moment of silence. She thought maybe she should hug him, or she should just leave. His whole face changes in a split second, and before Paige could process anything, she was pinned against the wall. Her dad starts to shout right into her face, “YOU WERE MY DAUGHTER, YOU WERE MY BABY. I LOVED YOU. I WAS THE ONE TO LOVE YOU. AND SHE-SHE-SHE TOOK YOU AWAY FROM ME. HOW COULD SHE? AND HOW COULD YOU LET HER? HUH, PAIGE? WHY?” His face boils with hatred, and he stares deep into her eyes. Paige feels like she’s going to faint, and tries to squirm out of his grip. He slaps her, hard, and tightens his grip on her neck. Paige’s cheek starts to sting, and her mind can’t process what is happening.
“I-I-I I dont-dont know, please, Dad. Please. Pl-pl-please, don’t hurt me!” Tears burst out of her, and she continues to squirm. His breath smells like pure beer, and she wants to throw up. The weight of his body squishes Paige, and she begins to suffocate. For a moment, he pinches her arms, and then his face changes and he lets her go. She slides down onto the floor, and curls into a ball. He slowly leans against the wall, trying not to stumble.
“Paige. I-I hate your mother. Do you know what she did to me?” Mark whispers, sitting down onto the stairs. Tears start to form in his eyes, but instead he begins to shout, “DO YOU KNOW? DO YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT ME? DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE WAITED FOR YOU? DO YOU KNOW, PAIGE? DO YOU?” Paige looks up at him, and tries to pull herself together. She needs to answer him, she needs to do what he says.
“I-I-I don’t, Dad. Please, don’t hurt me. I’ll-I’ll do anything you say.” He stares at her for a long time, and she considers that maybe he will do the right thing. But instead, he picks up a beer bottle and flings it to the wall. Glass shatters everywhere, and Paige lets out a frightened shriek. He picks up another bottle, and this time aims for Paige. She darts out of the way, and stands against the wall, frightened for her life. A glimmer of hope shines in her eyes, and she spots her phone on the floor. 911. She can’t let him see. Her father tries to punch her, and she darts out of the way again. This time, he grabs her and holds her tight. His face is hot, and sweat trickles down his forehead.
“Your mother dumped me here, Paige. Its her fault I am this way. And now, you're going to do as I tell you, to pay me back from her mistakes,” He whispers right into her face.
“It-It’s not her fault you are this way,” Paige whispers, he doesn’t like that answer. He slaps her, again. “St-stop hurting me, please dad,” Her voice trembles, and her whole body shakes. She tries to pull her face away, and he hits her again. Her phone lays only a foot away, and she uses her foot to push it towards her. She tries to focus into his eyes, to keep him distracted.
“1 million, in cash,” His says loudly, pinching her skin.
“Wha-What? You want money?” She quivers, trying to hide her phone.
“This is how you’re going to repay me. Give me the money, NOW.” He slaps her across the face, again. She lets out another shriek, and in a split second she punches him right in the nose. He stumbles backwards, and she grabs her phone, and sprints to the door. Her heart beats out of her chest, as she runs out the door, into the yard. She can hear him behind her. She sprints out of the lawn, and into the street. Her cheeks sting, and her arms bleed. Her dress ripped in the back, and only one shoe on, shes runs like she never has run before. She can feel tears silently pour out of her eyes, as she takes another left onto a sketchy street. She can hear bottles being thrown, shattering among the concrete. She loses her other shoe, and sprints down three more blocks, until she comes to a dumpster. She hides behind it, and shakes uncontrollably. Holding her breath, she hears silence. He was gone. Her hands tremble as she dials 911.

Dingggggg. The phone rings, and an officer picks it up, and nods towards Paige. She hides her face in her hands, as she tries to wipe her tears. “It’s your mother, honey.” The man says gently, handing the phone into her trembling fingers. She can hear her mother babbling already.
“Paige! Paige! Are you alright? Are you injured? Monica and I are an hour away, we are coming to get you, stay put!!” Her mothers shouts into the phone. Paige starts to sob, and touches the bandage on her forehead, where glass had impaled into her skin. Tears pour out of her eyes, and she holds her hand over the receiver. The phone shakes in her hands, and instead of answering she hangs it up. She slides down the wall, and buries her face in her knees, silently sobbing.
Some days, Paige would sit in math class, staring out over the skyline through the window. She would wonder what her dad was doing at that exact moment, and if he was good at math, or if maybe he was good at science. She would picture them reading books together, and talking about colleges. But right now, Paige tries everything she can to stop thinking about him, those evil eyes, that deceiving face, that drunken body. She lies in a hotel bed, trying to relax her mind. She rolls over, and jumps. Her mom lies wide awake, staring up at the ceiling. Paige leans over and flicks the light on.
“Mom?” Paige whispers, and sits up in the bed. Her mother smiles at her, sitting up. She takes Paige’s hand. “I’m sorry, mom. I really am. I-I am so sorry,” A tear strolls down Paige’s cheek and she takes a huge deep breath. “You warned me! You warned me, and-and look what happened!” She cries uncontrollably, pulling the white sheets over her eyes.

“Hey, hey. Shhh-shhh!” Her mother pulls the sheets down, and softly wipes her tears, “Its okay, its okay! It’s not your fault, Paige, it’s his. Everything is going to be alright, you’re okay, you’re safe. Look on the bright side, he could of done much worse, Paige. He-he-he could of done much, much worse,” She whispers, rubbing Paige’s back, “Its my fault too. I should of been more open about him. I could of told you how mentally ill he is. In fact, the police station listed all of his conditions for me this afternoon... bi-polar, drug use, alcoholism, depression. He’s a mess Paige, he really is. And I hope you can forgive me for locking him out of your life, but it really was the best thing to do for you, and for me,” She strokes Paige’s hand, and turns the light out. “The best thing to do right now, is move on. We need to shut this door to your father, and move on. Do you think you can do that, Paige?” her mother whispers into the darkness.

“Believe me, mother. I am never looking back.”

Three weeks go by, and Paige feels her life is back in order again. She hasn't missed one academic decathlon practice, and attends every cheer leading meet. She grabs coffee with Gia, every morning, and eats dinner with her mother every night. She has been trying to look deeper than the surface in people. In fact, As soon as she got back from California, she looked deep into Daniel’s eyes, and realized what she had been trying to look past the whole time. She didn’t love him. They broke up that afternoon, and Paige has been different ever since, bright, and cheery, and most importantly confident.

Paige sits on the park bench, smoothing over her skirt. She smiles at the baby that begins to toddle towards her. The mother picks her up, and grins at Paige. The sun beams into Paige’s eyes, and the warm, fresh air fills her heart with happiness. Joggers run past the pond, their heads held high. Paige smiles at the way the sunshine glimmers across the water. She looks down at her leather purse, remembering what she came here to do, and slowly unzips it. She tries to keep her hands from shaking, as she pulls out the picture frame. She stares at that silly girl in the picture, then the arm reaching out. Maybe it just wasn’t meant to be, maybe I’m not that girl in the picture frame. I grew up, everything happens for a reason, Paige, she whispers to herself. Slowly, Paige walks closer to the pond. A small breeze causes ripples in the water. Paige looks one last time at the picture, then tosses it into the water. She watches as it slowly sinks. She stares at the surface of the water. Some things go deeper than planned. Sometimes you have to look deeper than the surface. The picture frame sinks deep, far too deep for Paige to see. A ray of sunshine shines directly into Paige’s eyes, and a grin spreads across her face. So she put her glasses on, looked over the pond, and her life was never the same.