Only 15 | Teen Ink

Only 15

By Soccergirl14, Lancaster, Kentucky
Soccergirl14, Lancaster, Kentucky

Chapter 1

“I don’t think we should be doing this,” I said to my boyfriend, Marcus.

“What do you mean?” He said, his hand on my inner thigh and his breath on my ear. “I like you, you like me, right, Nalia?”

“Yeah, true,” I said as he kissed down my neck.

The room was dark and moist. Or maybe that was just me. We were laying on a bed and Marcus was a LOT more enthused then I was. But I knew that because I was 14 and he was 17, he would drop me like a bug if I didn’t sleep with him. So that’s what I was going to do.

Didn’t the Sex Ed teacher say something about protection?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“What in the world are you eating?” Mom asked.

“Strawberries dipped in cheese,” I replied, stuffing one in my mouth.

“I can’t wait until that baby comes out of you, here in the next week, so you will stop eating such weird... foods,” mom said, giving me a disgusted look.

I looked down at my fully stretched belly. It’s been the worst nine months of my life. The first three months, I had the worst morning sickness imaginable, the I craved the weirdest foods there ever was (hence the strawberries and cheese), and now I have the worst contractions. One time, my back arched bak so far, mom thought I had broken it.

“Me too,” I said. “I can’t meet wait to meet the little guy.”

“Or girl,” She looked at me, her blue eyes glistening as she reached for a bagel. “Since you wanted to be surprised. Good thing I’ve been putting aside money to go baby shopping. You’re father has too. We should have about 2-3 thousand dollars saved up.” She kissed my head. “I’ll be back before dinner. Tell your father I said good luck!”

I watched her leave. When she closed the door behind her, I put my cheese covered bowl in the sink and wobbled into the living room, flipping on the TV.

About half an hour later, Daddy came in the living room and joined me on the couch. “How you doing, SunShine?”

Ever since I told Daddy I was pregnant, he’s been walking on his toes around me. Always asking how I’m doing, but never actually talking to me.

“I’m fine, Daddy,” I replied, looking at him while he watched TV.

He looked at me then, “So, tell me, SunShine, what do you plan on calling this kiddo? Once it’s born?”

Mom already knew this answer. I guess they haven’t talked about it. “Well, Daddy, if it’s a girl, I want it to be named Rachel Loretta Burs. If it’s a boy; Anthony Levi Burs. Only called Levi.” I looked at Daddy and smiled.

He nodded his head. “I like them names.” He nodded again.

“Mom said good luck, by the way,” I said. “What for?”

“Work.” He got up and walked to the kitchen and poured himself some coffee, came back to the living room and said, “I’m going to the office, SunShine. Holler if you need something.”

“Kay,” I called after him. It was nine thirty in the morning. I was wearing only a sweatshirt and sweatpants and my red hair was in a messy bun. I flipped through the channels and there was nothing on. I flipped off the TV.

That’s when my water broke.

Chapter 2

“Daddy!” I screamed, getting up and rushing to the hallway. “Daddy! My water broke!”

“Get in the car!” Daddy yelled.

I got in the back seat and started breathing fast. In and out. In and out. I was going to pass out from these contractions.

I patted my stomach, bloated and tight. “Hang in there, baby. We’re almost there.” I whispered.

“Nalia?” Daddy asked. “Are you okay?”

I grinned, despite the pain. Daddy NEVER called me Nalia, always SunShine. “I’m fine, Daddy.”

I cried out in pain and Daddy sped up. “You need to slow down and call mom.”

“Gosh, Nalia, you sound like and act like a pregnant 35 year old, not a 15 year old.”

When we arrived inside the hospital, i was put on a portable bed.

“You’re going to be fine, Miss Burs,” said a blond-headed female nurse on my right.

“How are you feeling, Miss Burs?” said a dark-headed male nurse on my left.

“Fine,” I said. “And my name’s Nalia.” I screamed out in pain as we passed some double doors.

I heard some nurses arguing with Daddy. “But, that’s my SunShine,” he was saying.

We got to an empty hospital room and the dark-headed nurse was talking to the blond one. “She’s ready. She’s going to be ready for birth in a matter of minutes.”

I was going to have this baby. I was going to be able to hold it in my arms. My baby.

“Miss Burs?” Said the dark-headed nurse, “You’re going into labor.”

“Where’s my mother?” I asked.

As if on cue, my mom walked in saying, “Nalia? Nalia? Oh, Nalia, baby.” She came over to me and held my hand. “I came as soon as soon as I could, Nalia. Are you okay?”

I nodded. Then shook my head. “I’m going into labor,”

“Actually,” Said the blond nurse, “You’re in labor.”

That’s when I started crying. “Mom? I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have slept with Marcus. It was a mistake.” I broke into hysterical tears.

“Nalia, Nalia, baby. No, you shouldn’t have slept with Marcus, but, I’m about to have a grandchild! This is going to be our golden child, babygirl.”

A doctor came into the room, followed by about 100 more nurses. he came over to me, “Miss Nalia Burs, I’m Doctor Hearth. I’ll be delivering your child in about 4 minutes.”

I nodded my head and mom said, “Thank you, sir.” She looked at me, “Where’s your father?”

I grab her hand. “No, please don’t leave me.”

Her eyes soften and she ran her fingers through her hair. “Never.”

Doctor Hearth pulled a chair up at the end of the bed he opened my legs and put them in the stirrups =. “Miss Burs, we are about to begin. Are you ready?”

I nodded.

“Push.”

Chapter 3

When I woke up, mom was laying in recliner and Daddy was standing by the window. “Daddy?” I whispered. He nudged mom, who woke up and both were at my side.

“SunShine? Are you alright?” Daddy asked.

I nodded.

“Nalia, baby,” Mom said. “You fainted right before the doctor gave you the gender of your baby. Would you like to hold little Anthony Levi Burs? The little boy you produced?” She smiled.

I nodded eagerly. A boy! I had a little baby Levi!

Daddy went to get the doctor.

Mom sat beside me. “Nalia, baby. You realize how difficult it’s going to be for you. I have to work and your father won’t be happy about watching him all the time. What are you going to do?”

“What is today?” I asked.

“August twenty-seventh, why?”

“My birthday is November eighth and then I’ll be sixteen and I’ll be able to get a job and pay for a babysitter.”

“Oh, no you won’t,” Daddy said, with a doctor right behind him, and a nurse with a baby behind him.

“I’ll watch the baby. No questions asked, SunShine.”

I smiled and Daddy movedout of the way as the doctor, Dr. Hearth, came up to me, “Hello, Miss Burs.”

“Nalia,” I corrected.

“RIght, but before you see Anthony-”

“Levi,” I corrected.

“Oh, I’m sorry. It said Anthony on the birth certificate. Before you see him, are you okay?”

“Yes, I feel fine, Dr. Hearth. Can I see Levi now, please?” I asked, eager to see my newborn baby.

“Yes, of course,” He stepped aside. “Margret, would you bring over little Levi?”

The blond nurse from before, Margret, came over with Levi. “have you ever held a baby before? Do you know how to hold one? That’s right, just like that. Here you go, my dear.”

She handed me little Levi and I cried, “He’s beautiful.”

“Yes, he is. Perfectly healthy, too.” Nurse Margret said.

He had brown hair with a red tint, his skin was a dark completion, like olive. I held his hand. It was about half the size of my pinky finger.

Dr. Hearth came over to me. “You can go home tomorrow, Miss Nalia. I’m going to be your doctor for the next three months. Because of your age, I want you to call me every Friday.” He handed me a card. “Here’s my card. I’ll visit you tomorrow.”

Dr. Hearth left, followed by Margret, who said, “Pull the string on the bed if you need anything from me.” Then she was gone.

Mom came over to me, and brushed Levi’s face, “He’s gorgeous.” Her hand went to his hair, “He defiantly has your hair.” She laughed.

Daddy’s phone rang and he stepped outside to answer it.

“It’s Marcus,” mom said, “Your father is trying to get him to come down here. But he wants nothing to do with you or little Levi.” Her eyes soften.

I shook my head and looked down at Levi, “I don’t care. Marcus might be the father of Levi, but I’ll find a Daddy for him.”

Mom kissed my greasy, matted, red hair. “That’s my girl.”

Margret came in then and took Levi, “It’s time for him to be fed.”

Then Levi and Margret were gone.

Daddy came in and said, “Marcus isn’t changing his mind, but you don’t need him.”

I nodded, “I know.”

I held Levi and rocked him. His green eyes looked up at me. “I love you, Levi.” I said to him. “I love you so much. You are everything to me, My Little Levi.”

Mom opened the front door, “Hey, baby.”

“Hey.”

“Why are you and Levi up?”

“Oh, Levi wouldn’t go to sleep and Daddy’s already in bed.”

“You have school tomorrow. Get in bed.”

“What about Levi?”

“I’ll take care of him. He’s seven months old now, Nalia, I’m sure he’ll be fine. Tomorrow is your first day of school, get in bed.”

I gave mom Levi and went to bed.

The next morning, I woke up and showered. I straightened my long red hair and put blue jeans and a blue Nike T-shirt on. I slipped on my blue wedged sandals and walked into Levi’s orange bedroom, but he wasn’t there. I walked into the living room and saw Daddy holding and talking to him.

“My grandson, Levi. You are so handsome. You look just like your mother, Nalia.”

“Hi, Daddy,” I said, retrieving Levi from my fathers arms.

“Hey, SunShine. You look great,” He kissed my head.

“Thanks. I just wish I could take Little Levi with me,” I kissed Levi’s hand. “I’ll be back soon, my darling.”

Mom walked in, wearing a pink suit. “You ready to go?” She kissed Levi’s head, “Hey, my little prince.”

I put Levi in his jumper and walked to the door. Mom’s matching stilettos cluncked on the floor as she made her way over to the door, beside me. It’s going to be a long day.

“Miss Nalia Burs. Nice to see you again.”

“Hello, Mrs. Rogers.” I waved.

Mr. Rogers is the school principal

“How’s the baby?”

“Oh, he’s fine, ma’am.”

“That’s good,” She said, her bee-hive hairdo sticking straight up. Didn’t she know that wasn’t the style anymore? “I hope you’ll bring her in some time.”

“Uh, him. His name is Levi.”

“Right, right. Bring in Levi on Thursday. I’ll allow it.”

I nodded.

“ANyways, Miss Burs, you’re going to be in Mrs. Richardson’s class for first.” She handed me a sticky note. “Give her this pass.”

I nodded and left.

When I got to Mrs. Richardson’s classroom, she was in the middle of a lecture about the Pythagorean Theorem.

“Hello, Mrs. Richardson,” I said, looking into her brown eyes.

“Who are you?”

“Nalia Burs. Your new student.”

“RIght!” she said, excited. “The girl with the baby! How is he, by the way?”

I blushed. “He’s fine.”

“I was told you’re bringing him in on Thursday. Can’t wait to see him, Nalia. Oh, you’re seated over there by Oscar. Oscar, wave your hand.”

Oscar waved and I made my way over to him.

Oscar had blond shaggy hair, blue eyes, and a really light complexion. He looked like that nurse...

“Excuse me? Oscar? Is your mother a nurse?”

“Yeah,” His voice was deep and husky.

“Is her name Margret by any chance?”

“Yeah, you know her?” he asked.

“Yes, actually. She helped deliver Levi, my son.”

He looked at me, his eyes like pools of water. “Really? Mom’s pretty cool.”

“Yeah.”

After classes I was waiting outside of school for mom to pick me up.

“Hey, Nalia?”

I turned around. Oscar was standing there, “Yeah?”

“Since you just got here, I could tutor you.” He blushed. “You know, if you want.”

“That sounds great,” I smiled.

“What about tomorrow? My house?” He asked, looking at his hands.

Mom pulled up. “Uh, I’ll have Levi?”

He looked up at me, “Oh, that’s fine. Mom’ll be home. She can watch him.”

Mom honked the horn. “Okay,” I called. “See you tomorrow!”

I got in the car and threw my stuff in the back.

“Who was that?” Mom looked at when we got to the first red light.

“Oh, that was Oscar. That nurse, Margret’s boy. He’s going to tutor me tomorrow at his place.”

Mom raised an eyebrow and stepped on the gas, “You’ll have Levi.”

“I know. Oscar said that Margret would watch him.”

“Well, that’s nice. When do I need to pick you up?”

“Around seven?”

“Okay, text me on your cell phone the directions at about six-thirty.”

“Alright, thanks.”

When we got home, I rushed to Daddy’s office. “Where’s Levi?”

“In his bedroom, SunShine,” His eyes didn’t leave his computer screen.

I walked to Levi’s room. “Levi?” I picked him up. “What are you doing?” He giggled and smiled.

I sat down in the rocking chair and fed him. Mom walked in and leaned against the crib. “he’s hungry, isn’t he?”

“Yeah. Sucking me dry.” I laughed.

“He missed you.”

“I know, I’m taking him to school on Thursday. I got permission.”

“Are you sure, Nalia? He’s only seven months old. There are lots of germs in a school.”

I stood up and walked to the living room. I sat on the couch and rocked Levi to sleep. “I’ll put a blanket on him and hold him. I’ll take his carrier and put him in that. Besides, Friday he’s getting a check u at the doctor’s.”

“Okay. If you must.”

“Thanks,” I kissed Levi’s hand.

“Hey, Oscar!” I yelled.

He turned around, “Nalia! Hey, you ready?”

“Yeah, but is it okay if we stop by the house? I have to pick up Levi.”

“Yeah, it’s fine.” He pulled the keys out of his pocket. “We’ve got all day.”

I smiled and jumped in the passengers seat.

“Mom! I’m home! I brought two guests!” He looked back at me and I blushed.

“Oh, really? Who?” Margret said, coming down the stairs. She stopped when she saw me. “Miss Burs, good to see you again. Is that Levi? How is he? You aren’t here to see me, are you?”

I laughed, “It’s Nalia. No, I didn’t come here to see you. Oscar and I ae going to study. Yes, this is Little Levi, and he’s just fine.”

“Mom?” Oscar said behind me, “Would you mind watching Levi?”

“No, not at all,” She came towards me, arms outstretched.

I kissed Levi’s hand and handed him to Margret. “I’ll need to feed him later.”

“Oh, I don’t have any formula,” she said.

“Oh, he’s breast-fed. It’s fine.”

Margret smiled and Oscar’s face was a deep red.

As Margret left, Oscar led me to a room with a long table. It could fit ten to twelve people. We sat at the end and he pulled out a math textbook.

At six, I fed Levi. Margret made Oscar leave the room. He blushed really bad again.

At six-thirty, I text mom the directions to Oscar’s house. Oscar said, “Hey, I’ll give you my number,” I typed it into my phone and gave him my number.

At five to seven, mom honked the car outside. Margret had Levi wrapped in a blue blanket. “Keep it,” she said. “It was Oscar’s.”

Oscar walked me to the front door, “I had a good time.”

I nodded, “Me too.”

“I really like you, Nalia.” He blushed.

“I like you too, Oscar.”

“I could see us being more than friends. Could you?” he asked.

“Well, that depends on how you feel about Little Levi.” I said, staring into his pools of blue.

“Levi’s great. Cute little feller. He has your beautiful red hair.” It was my turn to blush.

“Okay,” I said. “I could defiantly see us being more than friends.” I kissed his cheek as mom honked again.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Nalia.”