All That Glitters

Author's note: In this story the long threads of gold represent the very long hair I used to have, and recently...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: In this story the long threads of gold represent the very long hair I used to have, and recently I cut most of it off and donated it to locks of love for kids with cancer. I hope you enjoy the story!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

A House Out of Place

We begin in the remote, unheard of village of Follicle. It's a small, but peaceful village. Each person knew the next, and news circulated quite rapidly. Down each road stretched an endless sight of stone cottages. If we took a walk down the longest dirt road in the village, we would notice a sight that seemed surely out of place. There amidst the poor, shabby cottages stood a mansion, big and tall. It was the only one in the village, and probably the only one for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Some green vines wrapped the mansion in a tight squeeze. At the front stood an iron gate, much like one that could guard Buckingham Palace. The inside was even more beautiful than the outside. Entering the front door, we walk upon spotless granite floors, and each room viewed as big as most cottages in the village. In the foyer we see a staircase that looked like it could lead us straight into heaven. Step by step, the view of the mansion became even more breath-taking. Reaching the top of the stairs brings us to a long hallway, and at the end of this hallway stood a large steel door. What treasures lie behind this door? We will find miles and miles of long, golden threads. They bring a sparkle to the room and a shimmer to our hearts. The threads felt smooth, like silk, but worth much more. The owner of this fortune was a beautiful young woman named Katherine. Everyone grew jealous of her long, golden threads, but all admired them. She got many requests for a chance to touch them. Everyone in the village seemed very nice and trusting, so she allowed them as long as they admired carefully. Villagers would say that the threads became so long that they could stretch to China and back. Days when she had nothing else to do, she found herself braiding the long threads like fine locks of golden hair. Katherine took much pride in being rich, but acted as kindly as can be. She spent her days socializing with fellow neighbors, yet never felt sympathy of how low they actually lived. She never found a reason to share her wealth with anyone, not even her own family. She believed she earned all her gold, and it would be wrong for anyone to take it away.