I Dreamt About Boston

Author's note: I am very concerned about the widespread violence that seems to be shaping our world.I guess that...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I am very concerned about the widespread violence that seems to be shaping our world.I guess that concern has inspired me to write. I hpe that by sharing our thoughs we can still curtail evil and help the preservation of the good.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

1

I remember I was in a hurry. In a real hurry. I was flying through the streets, not very much knowing where I was going, just wanting to get away from here, as fast as I could. All I wanted was to get in my car and go far away from this place. Away from the enormous skyscrapers and their million eyes that were staring into my soul. The streets were empty, there was absolutely no one around, yet I felt like I was in a crowded place, listening to strangers’ boring conversations. The sun was shining but I didn’t feel its warmth, actually I felt cold and scared. Scared of what awaited me, unaware of its existence. Frightened for no reason, there was nothing I could think of.
I finally found my car, the silver Volvo parked next to a big tree. You just couldn’t miss it. It stood out. I ran to it and opened the door; everything was happening so fast. Out of nowhere, an old lady appeared, probably about fifty or sixty; her eyes big and brown, her hair brownish too but so messed up, pointing in every direction.
I realized she was already in my car.
I frowned.
‘What a nice car you have!’ she says, her voice squeaky and kind of annoying. ‘My parents used to have a one like this, too, you know. Of course, that was quite a long time ago but I can remember that…’
I had to interrupt her; I felt the anger growing within my body, I couldn’t stand her talking.
‘Ma’am, look, I’m in a hurry, I have to get into my car and go… away from here. Now.’ I said “now” a little louder than I wanted to but I just had to make her go away.
‘But, miss… I wanted to tell you about…’
Something was making me feel as she wouldn’t let go easily at all. Her filthy hands were placed upon the wheel and she could hardly fit in the driver’s seat. It was disgusting to watch. I had to do something.
‘Get the hell out of my car now!’ I shout, staring at her, begging her to leave with the look in my eyes.
‘Wow, wow… There’s no need to shout…’ She gets out of the car very slowly; her hands in the air. So terribly slowly, it was painful.
She gives a sigh.
‘Look… I need this car. I am… poor. I need help. And you look like someone that could help an old lady for sure!’ She smiles lovingly, yet it looks like an ugly grotesque.
I can’t understand and give a blank look; my mouth is probably opened, too.
‘I am… taking it.’ she says a little sharply. I was burning with anger. I couldn’t take another second of this “show”. Her show.
I push her against the car impulsively; the sound which it made was so loud and sharp, I thought she had smashed the windshield. Thank God, she hadn’t. She would’ve paid it, though.
‘You seriously shouldn’t have done this.’ she says calmly, yet she grabs me by my hair and a moment later I find myself beneath her.
‘Why would you do that? What have I done to deserve such a thing?’ She was shouting on top of me; I could hardly take her weight, it was difficult to breathe. I realize I probably have to deal with a mentally disabled.
‘If you don’t let go of me, I’ll call the police.’ I say quietly, with difficulty.
‘Wait… That doesn’t even make any sense… How can I possibly call the police?!’ - I am thinking - ‘How stupid of me!’
‘I’ll scream!’ I say louder and she kicks me in my stomach. I could feel the pain in every inch of my body. I was close to giving up.
‘You sure about that?’ she says, looking like a monster, wanting me dead.
‘Let go!’ I scream with pain. I use my little left energy and kick her, without looking where in particular. As I see her nose bleeding, I realize it was her face.
‘Go on… Do that again!’ she growls. ‘When you kill me they’ll find my body and you’ll spend your pathetic life in jail. Burn in hell.’
I was terrified.
‘Let go of me, please… Please!’ My eyes are already teary. Am I going to die? Now? Today? In such a humiliating way? Tortured to death by someone whose place is in a mental asylum? I give up then.
‘Okay… I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I pushed you. I’m sorry I started this. Just please…’ I beg, my voice sounding so weak and vulnerable.
‘You’re sorry?’ she says so quietly, it’s hard to hear her.
Everything becomes so quiet in a moment, that I could hear some birds singing, probably miles away from here. As if nothing’s going on. As if their beautiful song will continue even after this monster here kills me.
‘You’re sorry? Oh, I bet you are.’ As she says “sorry” I could feel like the human, the old lady is returning to her body, in the place of this monster, taking the life from me. I soon realize that I am mistaken as her eyes widen and become so huge that they’re about to pop out of their sockets.
She just looked so creepy.
‘I bet you’re sorry because you found out… You found out…’ She starts lowering her voice.
I stare at her, not understanding a thing, still struggling to breathe beneath her.
‘You found out I’d put explosives… Everywhere inside your car and around it.’
Now it’s my eyes’ turn to widen. For a second, I just want this all to end once for all. Why didn’t she kill me in the first place? What did she want from me? Why is this happening? To me? Do I deserve it? I feel so weak. And I still don’t understand.
‘What explosives?’ The words pop out of my mouth, without me wanting them.
And that’s when it all starts.
That’s when I wake up.