Thunderstorms In January

Author's note: I don't really know I am a muscian and I guess I realize now how much music can heal.
Author's note: I don't really know I am a muscian and I guess I realize now how much music can heal.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Chapter 1~Violet

It’s Monday, Mondays are the same every day in my house. Get up at 6:00am to get to school by 7:30am, make my breakfast and Melrose’s, Mom will say “You’re going to be late if don’t hurry, Vi.” Even though I’ve never been late for school a day in my life and she knows it. She says it because she thinks that, that kind of thing is what responsible parents do. Dad smiles at Mom from the kitchen table and goes on writing that’s what he does, writes. He writes books about all kinds of things, he writes articles for the local paper that’s what he likes to do.
Mom paints, she wants to paint things the way Georgia O’Keefe did, and when Dad’s in a mood, which is hardly ever she threatens to “Sweep up the girls and move to the southwest, never to return”. She would like that; to be out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but her paint supplies...
6:15am time to make breakfast for Mellie-Belle. Everyday it’s the same thing scrambled eggs with lots of garlic and salt, butter toast, and a glass of orange juice. Melrose eats the same thing every day for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sometimes Mom will try to get her to eat something else but it’s no use, Melrose is not rude or mean about she just does not like anything else. Like; today for example we’re out of eggs, I’ll have to pick some up on the way home, let’s see what she says today. Happy humming came from the stairs as Mel glided in her long, curly hair flowing down her back and looking the same as yesterday wild and unbound.
“Morning Mellie dear,” Momma called in a sing-song voice from the kitchen table.
“I used to love night best but the older I get the more treasures and hope and joy I find in mornings. ~Terri Guillemets,” Melrose replied happily, this is the way it always is, Melrose just can’t seem to find her own words to describe the way she feels but always knows someone who does.
“Early morning cheerfulness can be extremely obnoxious. ~William Feather,” I couldn’t help it and it does get annoying after awhile.
“Yes, but it can also make one excited for the rest of the day,” my Dad shot back with a smile.
“Who said that?” Rose’s eyebrow’s had knitted together as she tried to figure it out.
“I did.” Dad winked at her and left for his study.
“Here Mel, eat fast we have to go.” I told her as I set her toast down in front of her. She looked at it a minute then back to me confusion written plainly all over her face, Melrose always wears her heart on her sleeve even when she doesn’t mean to.
“Vi, where are my eggs?”
“Ummm,” I don’t think I’ll ever understand why Mel understands words of dead people than words spoken right there in front of her. Finding quotes that help her to understand some things is a bit of a challenge.“You can’t stay the same. If you are a musician you have to change that’s the way it works-Van Morrison?”
“It was ‘musician and singer’ I’m not a singer.” she replied with a sly smile stretched across her face. She thinks the oddest things are snarky.
I sigh.“We’re out. Eat, dork.”

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

qwerty_15 said...
Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:53 am:
Fantastic! A very moving story. :)