Love on the Plains

Author's note: I used to watch westerns alot and I just wanted to use my knowledge of Indians and mix it with...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I used to watch westerns alot and I just wanted to use my knowledge of Indians and mix it with some of my creativity and find out what exactly I could do with something this realistic.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

First Night

It was small but it felt like home already. There was already an extra mat for me to sleep on; I just wondered if he’d expected me to protest when he said I’d be staying with him and him alone. I sat down cross legged on the mat that I guessed was mine and fiddled with my dress tail. He sat down opposite me and I looked up to find him staring at me with a look so intent if I didn’t know better I’d say he was trying to set me on fire.
“What?” I asked him smiling.
“I’ve never seen a pale skin as beautiful as you.” He said grinning and showing the spark in his eyes. I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks when he said it. I don’t know what it is about him that makes me blush so often but it happens so much. He raised his hand and rested it on my right cheek; it was so warm and it felt so right. We sat like that for what seemed like forever but I knew it was only a few moments. I stretched out almost the length of my mat and he stretched out behind me with his arms enfolding me like a copper-colored blanket of safety and warmth. I soon fell into the sea of darkness that was sleep and for the first time in my life…I didn’t feel alone.
I woke up to an empty teepee; so I got up and peeked out into the early morning light. The first thing I saw was Chameli running towards me. I caught her mid stride and swung her up on my hip with a giggle from both of us.
“Hello Chameli! Do you know where Minninnewah is?” I asked her smiling. She pointed over to the river and I sat her down telling her to go play with Little Paint. With an eager nod, she ran off towards the pasture area. I started over to the river but then some of the tribe women caught me and decided to convert my clothes into theirs. They shooed all the men out of the teepee that would be my changing tent and got to work on me. They took the rest of my hair down, stripped me of everything, even my under garments, poured cold water over my head, scrubbed me until I thought I’d dissolve, and put a buffalo skin dress on me. It was comfortable to say the least and to tie the look together; they put a daisy in my hair.
“Emo'onahe” I heard one of them say. I couldn’t help but wonder what it meant. They ushered me out into the open and right into Minninnewah’s arms; I couldn’t complain, it’s right where I wanted to be. He looked down at me just as yet another blush crept across my face. He smiled and hugged me tighter. We wandered over to the pasture and my eyes landed on Black Jack. I ran over to him and threw my arms around his great big neck.
“How’d you get him here?” I asked still smiling like a right fool.
“While you were sleeping I rounded up some of the warriors and we went to your camp and got him while your companions were still sleeping.” I ran up to him and literally jumped into his arms.
“Thank you so much!” I yelled in absolute happiness.
“You’re welcome Lacey.” He said; I could feel his smile grow when I didn’t let go after a while. I felt my heart flutter and I knew at once what was happening to me. I’m falling in love with him. I thought to myself. We walked back to our teepee hand in hand, laughing at a lot of topics that we’d picked to talk about. Once again I slept in his arms in all comfort and happiness. But this time, it wasn’t a dreamless sleep.