Skyblue | Teen Ink

Skyblue

By irene9637, Mahwah, New Jersey
irene9637, Mahwah, New Jersey

Author's note: I transferred schools several times and I think it inspired me to write about this story. I want people to know that there is brightness behind the darkness.

The morning sunshine blesses and wakes me up as usual. I barely open my eyes and shut down the blinders. Today is the first day of my school. I don’t know if I can well- adapt to this school. The thought makes me to swallow to not cry.
“Daisy, wake up!” My mom, Marnie, shouts from the kitchen.
“I am awake, mom,” I yell from my bedroom.
As I stand up from my bed, my fluffy cat, Meow-Meow, steps into my bedroom. I got my fluffy cat, Meow-Meow, five months ago when she was just borned. She is small as my palm and white as a snow.
I dress up to my new light pink dress that my mom bought me a week ago for the first day of the school, today. I hate being colorful but only today, I am going to wear the pink dress to refresh my mind.
“Daisy, breakfast is ready. If you want to be late today, I guess you can stay in your bedroom forever,” I hate my mom being sarcastic.
“Okay, I’m going!” I reply in a sharp voice and run downstairs because I don’t want to be late.
Two pancakes with maple syrup, egg scramble, and bacons are on my dish for the breakfast. I feel something crawling up from my throat as soon as I smell the food, but I take a spoon to not make my mom feel bad.
“Honey, you look gorgeous today. I love how the dress fits you perfect. You should wear bright color clothes more often. Are you nervous for your school today?” Mom asks.
“No, I don’t think so. I hope I’m not,” I answer even though I am agitating because I am edgy.
I get into the car and put the seatbelt on. I find my lucky charm from my grandma under the jacket. I thought I lost it!! She gave me the lucky charm when I was five-year-old having hard time accepting that my best friend, grandpa, is dead. I named it Skyblue because it has sky blue color with sparkles in it. I carried it everywhere I go and it became my first treasure. I look out at the window to the sky. The sky is blue like Skyblue.
“Daisy, we are here now. Do you want me to walk to the office with you?” Mom asks.
“No. I think I can do that by myself,” I don’t know my mom heard the word ‘by myself’ that I almost whispered because I was not sure.
“Good-luck!” Mom shouts and I am ashamed.

“Hi, I’m Daisy Berry,” I say to the person who looks like an officer.
“..OKay? Thanks for telling me, ah, stranger. I hate new ones,” she whispers to my ear, giggles, and walks away.
I want to cry. I was homeschooled since five until last December, the middle of the freshman. My parents said they love me so much that they can’t send me to the school. They were always too protective that I can do nothing without them until a month before my parents got in a bad mood. Now I am 14 and half years old which I am applying for a freshman.
“May I help you? You look new, are you Daisy Berry?” A women asks who looks like 40ish.
“Ah yes, hi, nice to meet you- Mrs.-,” I quickly look at her nametag. “Mrs. Caraol.”
“I’m glad you know my name, Daisy,” Mrs. Crarol says.
Mrs. Crarol leads me to the science classroom, “so, here’s your schedule and this classroom is uh-,” the door suddenly opens and a woman comes out.
“Welcome, this is Mrs. Hooril, a science teacher,” she says.
“Uh, yeah, science class. I was just introducing her,” Mrs. Crarol says to Mrs. Hooril.

“Morning, class, may I have your attention? Here’s a new girl name Daisy Berry,” Mrs. Hooril says. I hear few people saying ‘no’ and giggling. Mrs. Hooril is staring at me as she is expecting me to say something.

“Hi,” I say looking at the floor, “I’m Daisy Berry, nice to meet you.”

I feel like my heart stopped , and my blood falls down to my feet.
“Okay, thank you. Go have a seat,” she says.
I sit down at a only empty seat next to a guy who has dark sandy blond hair, blue and green eyes, and wearing neat white shirt with a bow tie. He looks totally handsome.
After the bell rings telling the science class is end, which was boring than my homeschool science, the boy says, “Hi, Daisy Berry. My name is Dillon Henroy.”
“Hi,” I flushed, “ can you show me the library? I have a study hall.”
“Sure, I’m heading that way too,” he says with a beam on his face.

After few weeks, after I became best friends with Dillon, and don’t have any other friends, a girl name Cherry Blanco comes to me, “hi, girl. Can I talk to you after class? Room 13, exactly 3 O'clock.” She left before I can barely speak. Once I heard she is a leader of the cheerleader and she is the most popular girl in the school, and she just talked to me.

“You made a friends I guess?” Dillon sits next to me and laughs.

“I guess so, well but not like you,” I laugh too.

After the last period, I run down to the room 13 leaving everything into my locker, actually being little excited for new friends. I imagine the movie that a new girl getting into popular group. When I arrive, there is no one in the room 13. I sit down in a chair willing to wait for them. Suddenly, the door gets shut and everything goes dark. I close my eyes and pray nothing bad will happen.

“Hello? Is anybody there? Help me!” I yell but nothing appears.

I realize the girl from the first day of school, who told me she hates new students, was Cherry. Tears, suddenly, rolls down my cheek and I just l leave it to drop. I wait for fifteen minutes and another fifteen minutes. Everything gets more darker probably because of sunsets.

Abruptly, the door rattles and it slowly slides open and I narrowly see a human formation.

“Daisy? Is everything okay?” It was Dillon’s voice.

“Dillon?Why are you here?” I randomly ask.

“That is my question,” Dillon steps in.

“I- I don’t know. I came here because Cherry told me to and- and,” I be at a loss for words because everything gets blurry by tears and it blocks my throat. Dillon walks over to me and hugs me.

“It’s okay. Hey, let’s walk and have some fresh air. It kind of smells here,” he sniffs and smiles at me. I smile back through my tears. He grabs my arm and it feels warm ever.

We walk down the street for few minutes while remaining a silence, Dillon still holding my arm.

“What time is it?” I ask breaking a silence.

“It’s five-twelve,” Dillon replies while looking at his watch.

“Wow. I spent two hours in the room,” I say, “My house is around here. I’d better go in now before my mom calls police. Thanks for the walk. See you tomorrow,” I make a big smile at him. Dillon gently kisses my on my forehead and I flush.

When I enter the house, my mom is wailing burying her face into her arm, as usual.

“Is everything okay? I had a terrible day too,” I say without looking at mom.

Mom straights her body, sniffs, and opens her mouth, “do you have a time to talk?” I nod.

“I don’t know how to start this,” Mom sniffs again, saying nothing for a meanwhile, and finally says, “your dad and I are getting divorce. I’m so sorry honey.”

“Wow. Two hits a day is not good,” I get sweat in my palm, “no, you don’t have to be sorry. You didn’t even love me ever, did you?”

“Honey, listen. I know it’s hard for you but you have to accept this. We love you so much but this is our problem, not you and us. Do you understand?” Mom says.

“If you guys love me, I know you guys won’t do this for me! And if you know how hard it is why are you even telling me to accept this...? Now everything doesn’t matter even, your love to me without being normal family. You have to accept that we, from now, are breaking up and never ever getting back together like before,” I run upstairs to my bedroom and shut the door making sure Mom can hear this.

I bury my face to the pillow and cry out loud. My life is lifeless. Everything is meaningless. No family is around me to help me. I, Daisy, am gone. The normal Daisy is gone.

At the school, I feel everyone is looking at me and teasing me. I pretend to ignore them and I open my locker. I fall down. Full fill of berries are stuffed in my locker falling to me. My textbooks are tinted by red and blue berries. I grab a handful of them and put them in my mouth.

“Yikes, oh my, oh my. What happened?” Cherry walks over to me with few popular girls.

“Enough. What do you want from me? Since I’m new here, I don’t know any rules that
you are ruling,” I replied.

“You took mine. I mean you stole mine,” she whispers to my ear.

“What on earth are you talking about, Cherry? I never stole yours,” I cry.

D-I-L-L-O-N. Cherry spells out without making a sound.

My jaw opens. “WHAT? Dillon? He’s just my friend and I’m sorry I didn’t know he is your boyfriend. Also, I didn’t know I’m not allowed to talk to a guy who is my friend,” I say.

Cherry’s face goes red like cherry, “shh. Be quiet,” she says as the bell rings.

I stand there and decide to ignore her whenever she tries to do things like this.

“Hey, come on let’s go. Why? Are you still in shock of yesterday?” Dillon says.

“I didn’t know you are going out with Cherry, sorry,” I reply

Dillon’s jaw drops, “I am not. Who said that?”

“Ah, Cherry? Wait then why-,” I say when another bell rings telling that class has started, so we run to the class.

After the lunch, I go to the library and find dead frogs in my backpack. I scream. I throw my backpack to the floor with everything in it which my lucky charm, Skyblue, broke. I cry.

Cherry walks across the hallway, heading to the door to home with her friends. I was mad at Cherry for whole day which made me to walk up to her without thinking the after conversation.

“Cherry, I want to talk to you, only you and I,” I say looking through her eyes.

Cherry nods and sends a interesting - that tells it will be fun- eye contact with her friends and her friends leave.

“What? How much is that important that made me what to do?” Says Cherry, unblinking.

“What’s wrong with you? This is unacceptable. I can’t be friend with Dillon? But he’s my best friend. He’s not- not even your boyfriend. Is he? I don’t get why the world always takes my special friends from me....I don’t get it,” for a moment I realize I am sort of talking to myself.

“Wow, thanks for telling me what is wrong with me. What is wrong with you? Are you insane? You are judging CHERRY BLANCO! You are the one who took mine. Not me, and if you get off from him I’ll let you go,” she says.

My jaw falls down, “oh, okay. No comment,” I leave when Cherry hurrying to send a text to someone.

I step out from the school and starts to cross the road to walk home. Sudden, my phone rings and I think it is Cherry so I turn off the sound but soon I realize it is my mom. Meanwhile, turning the sound on and calling my mom back, I see the light from the car driving toward me. I left when Cherry hurrying to send a text to someone- everything goes black and that is the last thing I can remember.

All of a sudden, I hurry open my eyes and I feel only few minutes past. I try to sit up but my body hurts -I am not in a vegetative state. I hear someone saying, “she’s alive!!!!” And few people banging around me. I am puzzled. I don’t know where and who I am.

“Car,” I say.

“Honey, you alright?” A woman asks who looks familiar.

“Who are you? Do I know you?” I ask.

A woman gasps and says, “oh, you- you don’t remember me?”

“No, but can you tell me where I am? I mean I’m so confused. What happened to me? How much time did it past after everything blacked out? Who are you? What is this sounds? Did I die?” I ask.

“I- I don’t know how to start this,” familiar sentence. “You are in the hospital. You were hit by the car and we are still looking for the car. The detectives are looking for it,and seventeen days had passed after the accident. I- I am your mom,” she stops when I look into her eyes.

“You are my mom?” I think I remember her. Maybe I was too confused by everything. “Oh, I think I remember you,” I tell. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.

The doctor comes into my room and he lets my mom out.

“Hi, Daisy, this is Nick Harris,” he says and I realize I forgot my name but not anymore. “How are you feeling? You might be very surprised when the car hit you. I am your doctor and I am going to help you for rest of the days in the hospital,” he scribbles something into his record book.

“Hi, yeah I was surprised, but everything went black after I saw the car and realized that-,” I don’t remember what I thought after I saw the car. “I don’t remember.”

“You sure? Or you don’t want to tell me? Doesn’t matter but you sure you don’t remember?” He scribbles into his record book.

“No, I don’t remember. I didn’t even remember my mom but now I do,” I tell.

“Hm, I think you should go to the mental caring hospital with me,” he says. “But, before that I need to tell you about your injuries. You have one broken arm, one broken leg, and one broken shinbone. It’ll take at least two months to heal so you have to be homeschooled in the hospital,” he says.

“Oh yeah school, I totally forgot. It’s fine I always have been homeschooled,” I reply.

“Follow me. we probably should leave now,” he gestures me to follow him.

I try to sit up again but it’s impossible. Dr. Harris comes over me and says, “It’s my bad. I’ll bring the wheelchair that you can use.”

I wait until Dr. Harris comes back looking around the room. This room is my own which no one is around me. There is one bathroom and small extra bed for a person who can sleep. Everything is so white like my mind. I want to know who tried to kill me and that makes me angry because I’m hurt by someone on purpose.

“Daisy Berry, I brought a wheelchair,” Dr. Harris says while coming in and a nurse follows him.

They help me getting on a wheelchair and I feel tons of pain but I don’t say out loud. Finally, we arrive at the Mental Caring Center and I feel scared. I’d never been to mental hospital and I thought I am never going to put my feet into the mental hospital.

They bring me to the room where a woman stands looking through the record papers which have my name on the top.

“Welcome, you may leave and I’ll contact you when we are done checking,” the woman says in a cue to Dr. Harris and a nurse.

“Sure,” Dr. Harris leaves.

“Hello, my name is Morgan Perini. Feel free to sit down,” she offers me a chair.

“Hi,” I say while sitting down.

“You are going to have a quick examination in your brain,” she says, “but don’t be scared. I am going to use a machine, no hurt. After, I’ll ask you some questions and then you may go.”

“Oh, sounds awesome,” I try to smile but I’m sure it didn’t work because she grins and say, “don’t worry. It will only take few minutes.”

Dr. Perini takes me to the machine that looks like a bed but it is made with hard material unlike my bed. Also it has cover like a mini tunnel and it shoots the red laser to the bed.

She open the cover for me and I lay down. When she covers me, I feel scared but I don’t want to cry in the hospital like a kid looking for mom.
“Close your eyes, and don’t open until I say so,” Dr. Perini says.
I close my eyes. I feel something moving back and forth in front of my face.
“Open your eyes. Test is done, so will you wait for the result?” she asks me around ten minutes later.
“Sure, I can wait,” I reply.
While waiting, I think about my school, I mean homeschool. I’d never been to school before. I wonder how it feels like going to new school.
She turns to face me, “okay, I am going to ask you several questions to make sure everything about the test. Obviously, I know the answers, so don’t try to trick me. Just be calm and reply me. Did you ever go to real school?” She asks.
“Haha, this one’s easy. Nope, I was homeschooled as you know,” I answer.
She hesitate, “oh. Sure? Okay...,” she writes something, “what’s your parents name?”
Hard one, “I don’t remember,” I say.
“They are Marnie Berry and Josh Berry. Remember that,” she says. “Do you have any close friends?”
“Um, yeah. I think I do but I can’t remember. I’m sure he is a guy though,” I reply.
“Remember Dillon Henroy?” She asks.
“YES, YES!!!!!!” I shout, “ but I don’t remember how I met him.”
“Okay, I’ll explain everything to you after the examination. However, do you have any grandparents?” She asks.
“Yes, I do and did. My grandmother is alive and my grandfather died years ago,” I answer in a strong voice.
“Good, everything is all set. A mentalist will go to your room every once in awhile. I’ll call Dr. Harris, so just wait few minutes,” Dr. Perini tells me.

I miss my grandmother. Since my grandpa died, I became close to her. But the thing is, I have no idea how she looks like. Sudden, I remember my Skyblue. It broke because of me. I threw it.
“Daisy Berry? Dr. Harris sent me to pick you up. May I come in?” A nurse wearing a nurse uniform comes in and helps me get on a wheelchair.
While crossing the mental hospital to the physical hospital, I think I might remember how I met Dillon. I think it is from a place like school? Probably not.
“Daisy? I missed you so much!” My mom yells from my room.
“Hi, Mom. I missed you too,” I say. “Mom can I call someone really quick?”
“Sure, honey. But I really want to tell you this now before you get mad at me,” Mom says. “Me and your dad got-,”
“Mom, bye,” I leave with my crutches and my phone.
“Dillon? This is me. I want to meet you. Can you come?” I call Dillon.
“Thank you God! You know how much I was worried? What happened?” He says.
“I don’t know. I don’t remember. By the way, I am alive. So can you come?” I ask
“Almost there,” He says.

Dillon comes and I tell him everything about forgetting things and people.
“Wow, but you remember me, good,” Dillon says.
“Yeah, but how did I meet you?” I ask.
“Um, at school? Obviously?” He says.
“What? I never...Oh yeah I did. I REMEMBER!!!” I shout.
Now I remember everything, I think.
“Hey, remember Cherry? There’s a rumor that she hit you. Ture?” He asks.
“Nope, I don’t remember Cherry at all. But I have a feeling that someone who I hate hit me,” I say.
Dr. Harris comes in.
“Hey guys. How are you doing Daisy? I got a result, Daisy. They say you have lost short memories. But good thing is when someone reminds you, it’ll come back,” he says. “Oh, there’s an exception. You can’t remember things that you wanted to erase in your mind before. Dillon, you can stay here longer.”
“How do you know his name?” I ask.
“He came here many times to see you. I know his name,” Dr. Harris grins.
“Ah, yeah. I did,” Dillon flushes.
I feel happy that everything becomes normal as before except my injuries.
“You sure you don’t remember Cherry? Whether yes or no, good thing is she moved to New Jersey. I think It was because one of her friend told our principal that Cherry called her to drive and hit you. I don’t know it is not true but that’s what I heard,” Dillon says.
“Interesting. But I don’t remember her. Good,” I smile.
“Daisy, can I talk to you?” Mom says coming into the room.
“Bye, Daisy,” Dillon says and he leaves.
“Yes, Mom?” I reply.
“Do you remember when I told you we might get divorced?” Mom asks.
“No. I think that is the one that I wanted to erase in my mind. That is terrible and I’m scared,” I say.
“Listen. We are not getting divorced. We overcame with everything. No worry now. Truce?” Mom smiles and hugs me.
Tears rolls down to my cheek. This time, Happy tears like Skyblue.
“Truce. Thanks, mom,” I say and remind me that Skyblue is always there for me.

I look out the window. The sky is blue like Skyblue.