Who I Am | Teen Ink

Who I Am

By IndigoIsaColour GOLD, N/A, Maryland
IndigoIsaColour GOLD, N/A, Maryland

"Place your hand over your heart, do you feel that? It's called purpose, you're here for a reason. Don't give up."

Author's note: This piece was originally entered in a contest. After I lost, I revised it and edited into the story it is now. It's a story about self-discovery and the path to finding yourself.

I woke up suddenly, the fear still coursing through my veins from a reoccurring nightmare. Did it mean something? I had this feeling I didn’t belong here, in this house, in my house. I was 17 and getting ready to live on my own, so why did I have such an unfamiliar feeling all of a sudden? My parents were always supportive of me, they loved me, and raised me into the man I am today. But in my dream I saw a woman who looked exactly like me and she was staring at me. I was swinging on a swing with a library in the background, a few people walked by. One was an old lady that looked at us and I waved, clueless to the distraught feeling I had. Then, the replicated woman in front of me would always abruptly turn and leave. Every time she left it made me upset and confused. I sat there staring after her on the swing, and then I would wake up, before I had a chance to chase the mysterious woman who made me so unintentionally miserable.

I still had to prepare for the day ahead of me. I dressed in some clean clothes and grabbed my backpack. I was walking past my parents room when I heard them whispering, quiet yet understandable, like they were keeping a secret they didn’t want anyone to know about. I debated for a moment if I should listen or walk away and forget about it. Probably wasn’t important anyway, I told myself. I was walking away, nervous I would be late for school, when I heard my name. I turned back unconciously and eavesdropped on them.
“Maria, we don’t have to tell Jacob.” Dad told Mom.
“It seems like the right thing to do.” Mom was crying.
“Yes, but how will he feel if we tell him now?”
“He’s almost 18 George! He should know!”
“I know! But think Maria. When he’s 18 he’s no longer legally our child.”
“We raised him. It doesn’t matter if he’s our biological son or not.” Mom sniffed. “I love him still.”
“Fine, do what you want. If he leaves, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Dad said. I heard his heavy boots stomp towards the door. I panicked then ran down the hall and opened the clean, maple wood front door.
“Bye Mom! Bye Dad! I’ll see you after school!” I shouted just as I heard my dad walk out of his room.
“Bye sweetie! Have a good day! I love you!” Mom yelled back. I had tears in my eyes as I walked out the door. My parents have lied to me all these years? If I’m not their kid, then who am I?

I sat in my blue Ford Ranger with the engine running halfway around the block from my house. It was hard to think with all the commotion in my head. Finally, I decided I was going to skip school. I needed to find out who I am. I called my friend, Nick, and told him I wasn’t going to school today.
“Hey man.” Nick answered.
“Hey.”
“So, ready for the quiz in Graggs room? I’m so ready to ace it.” Nick said. He was cocky since he knew we were both top of our class.
“Dude, that’s why I called, I’m not coming to school.”
“Why not?! We planned to prank Dee today too! You can’t back out now, even if you are sick.” Nick complained.
“I’m not sick and I know Nick. I’m sorry, I don’t want to miss it but can we just change the date. Something important has come up.” I explained.
“But Jake, we’ve been planning this for a week. It’s supposed to be the biggest prank ever, one for the history books! How is something more important than that?”
“I found out I’m adopted. Is that important enough for you?” I snapped then sighed. “I’m missing school to find my real parents.” My voice caught on real.
“Dude, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get in your face.” Nick said. “If you want, I can come with you for support.”
“Thanks man. I could use a back-up.”
A few minutes later I picked him up at his house and we set off. I took a chance and first stopped at the place in my dream, the playground that had a rainbow of colors that distracted parents and children from the run-down equipment everywhere. There was one just like it on the farthest edge of town. I saw a library in the background and I vaguely remember some childhood memories of playing on the playground. I stopped for a moment.
“Jacob, are you ok?” Nick asked.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied.
“Ok, so why are we here?” He asked curiously.
“I keep having a dream. In it there’s a woman who looks like me, and she leaves me.” Even now I start to tear up. For all I know it could just be a dream made up because of teenage hormones. “It makes me so sad. She just leaves me sitting there on the swing.”
“Well, it could just be a dream.” Nick said as if he read my mind.
“It doesn’t hurt to check.”

We knocked on all the houses that were on the same street as the playground in my dream. Every person that answered didn’t know what we were talking about. Finally we reached the last house on the street.
“Dude, what are the odds the person living here will remember or even understand what happened that day?”
I sighed he had a point. “We just have to try. I need to know who I am.” Then I rang the doorbell. I was just about to give up all hope when someone answered the door. It was a little girl; she smiled instantly when she saw me.
“Grandma, that boy is here!” She called back. The little girl then squealed as she pulled me inside, Nick not far behind. She dragged us into a dark room lighted with candles. An old woman was sitting on a chair in the middle of a room. She looked oddly familiar. Then the little girl scampered off leaving us alone with a complete stranger. I looked at Nick and saw him fiddling with his fingers and staring at the ground.
“I was wondering when you would come Jacob.” The old lady said. Then I remembered seeing her in my dream, she was walking by the woman and me. I waved to her.
“How do you know my name?” I asked. There was no response, I tried a different question. “Do you know who I am?”
“I matters not who I know you are; only who you know you are.” The old woman said.
“Can you explain that? It doesn’t make any sense. Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.” Nick interjected.
“It doesn’t matter if you can understand only that Jacob does.” She responded never taking her eyes off of me.
“I don’t understand it either.” I said.
She sighed gloomily. “You will eventually. Answers come to those who wait.” After that she called to the little girl. She came back into the room, lightning speed, and took us away before I could say another word. I sighed, almost giving up my quest for who I am, when the little girl tugged on my arm.
“You look very much like the librarian who works at the library across the street.” She said and then skipped away.
“Hey man, I know you want to give up and all but how about one last place to check? I feel like you’re too close to give up.” Nick reassured me.
“Ok, let’s go to the library.” I said taking the mysterious little girls advice. I stood tall, not letting anything knock me down. We went across the street and passed the park. I quickly glanced at it and saw the swings, inside I cringed. I continued on to the library leaving the wretched swings behind. We entered the building and were greeted by a wall of books. Nick fake gagged and I smiled, it was great to have a friend like Nick at a time of distress. We went to the check-out desk and a warm middle-aged woman was there with a smile on her face, clearly enjoying the job no one else would have wanted to have.
“Hi, can I help you with something?” She continued to smile at us. She looked just like the woman in my dream.

I went speechless so Nick spoke for me.
“I’m Nick and this is my buddy Jacob. We were wondering if you have background information on all your employees that we can look at.”
“I’m sorry but I can’t give you a list. If it helps there are only three employees here, and a manager. We’re open from 6am-8pm Monday-Saturday and on Sundays we’re closed.” She smiled again. “I hope that helps.” I nodded and turned away, Nick pulled me into the science-fiction section.
“Dude, what happened back there? You totally blanked.” Nick said. I was looking at the huge variety of books there were to choose from.
“She looks just like the woman in my dream.” Nick looked at me weird. “I’m serious. It has to be her, that’s the only person I remember that could tell me who I am.”
“Ok man, whatever you say.” Nick sighed. “Let’s go ask.” I agreed and followed him to the check-out desk once again. The lady there looked up again.
“Did you find everything you needed?” She asked with yet another smile.
“Actually is it alright if we ask you a couple of questions?” Nick asked for me.
“It is quite alright. What is it you need answered?”
“Jacob, how about you ask the questions?” Nick encouraged.
“Thanks but, I’m not sure about this.”
“Don’t worry dude. You got this; it’s ok to fear things, but part of having fear is to overcome it.”
I took a deep breath, and turned towards the desk lady. “Have you ever had any kids?”
She chuckled. “Yes, I have three. One is now in college. I’m very proud of her. Why do you ask?”
“It’s just an important matter. Have you ever left a child at the park next door? I really need to know.”
Her eyes widened. “No I haven’t. Who are you?” She glared at me.
“That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Please I need to know.” I begged.
“Why is it important?”
“Just help him answer his question.” Nick helped me.
She sighed and glanced around to see if anyone could hear. She seemed like a paranoid person, always on edge.
“No, I haven’t, but my sister, Eliza, did.” She stopped looking around, confidante it was clear in the room and turned to face us. “You can’t tell anyone.” We both nodded and she sighed. “It was the worst day of my life, a little boy, he had just turned four. She just left him there, only because Eliza didn’t want to take care of him anymore. I wanted to go there and bring him home with me to support him. When I went there he was gone, I cried for a week knowing a defenseless boy was alone in the world. My nephew no less!” She was crying. “I’m a terrible person.”
“No you’re not.” By now, I was crying too. This was most likely my aunt, biologically. She was a soft, passive woman. I was ecstatic to know someone like this came from my real family. “Someone else had already cared for him.”
“How do you know?” She eyed me curiously. “Oh my goodness, it can’t be. You look just like your mother.” She cleared her tears. “Could it really be you?” She wiped her tears and came around and hugged me.

“I’m glad I found you. Do you have any idea where Eliza could be?” I asked.
“Yes, in fact she’s here, putting away books in the non-fiction section. If you really want to meet her, I can take you to her.” She said. “My name’s Kathy.”
“It’s nice to meet you Kathy.” Nick said shaking her hand.
“Please take me to her. I need to talk to her.” I said, afraid that what my mother did would somehow rub onto me and I would make huge mistakes that would devastate others too.
Kathy took us back to the non-fiction section. Every step I took I became more nervous and thoughts of I becoming my mother overwhelmed my mind. Finally we stopped and there stood a woman that looked just like me. I was about to take a step forward when she looked towards us. She wore glasses and though she was younger than Kathy she looked old, about mid-40.
“Hi, can I help you look for something?” She said with a forced smile plastered onto her face.
“No, we found it.” I said as my courage started to come back from when I thought all hope was lost.
“Ok, well is there anything else you need?” Another fake smile.
“Are you Eliza?” I asked.
“Yeah, why do you need to know?” She replied, sneering.
“Because I am your—“
I cut myself off. Did I really want her to know? She abandoned me at a playground which devastated my aunt. I was barely four when she left me, I don’t remember much but it was all gradually coming back to me. I remembered my mother and father both getting drunk then leaving me alone for hours at a time. I never had a babysitter to watch me, I did a lot I wasn’t supposed to and that’s how one time I was put in the pouring rain for two hours. Aunt Kathy made me come in even when I refused; she really was the only one that cared. After that, I had a cold for a week. Then I met my parents, they loved me, and cared for me. They were always there for me no matter what. If I was sick one would stay home from work and take care of me. I loved them. They’re my real parents; they love me because they raised me. If they hadn’t found me I wouldn’t have Nick, my partner in crime, my best friend, my brother. I had to thank Eliza, she gave me a life she never could have made any better. I’m not her; I don’t need to know her any better than I already do. I am Jacob, I made myself. No one else could understand this feeling, a feeling of total understanding, a feeling of total love, a feeling of self-respect. I had achieved my goal, my quest has ended.
“Thank you.” I finally said.
“What?” Eliza asked confused.
“I’m sorry for wasting your time. I totally forgot what I was going to say.” I said and with that, I turned and left. Nick caught up to me with my Aunt Kathy.
“Dude, what’s up?” Nick said disbelief in his voice. “Why didn’t you tell her you’re her son?”
“I’m not her son. She gave birth to me but she did not raise me. I know that now, and you’re part of me.” I said.
He smiled. “Thanks man that means a lot. In a weird way, but thanks.” We hugged quickly. I saw Aunt Kathy smiling at me.
“I’m proud of you Jacob. You are one brave man.” She said as she hugged me too.
“You are too Aunt Kathy. Thank you for caring for me, when Eliza didn’t.” I said tearing up one last time.
“It’s no problem Jacob. I loved you like my own son, but I’m glad you’re back in my life.” She said.
I was glad to have my life back, it may be different knowing the truth but because of that, I have more family to love and more time to appreciate. I was ready to take on the world even knowing I had to work hard and make people notice me, I still didn’t care, I am strong and smart. I’m the only one that can take charge of my life, and I know I always have been. That is who I am today and always, no one can change that.