Confetti

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Next »

Grace:

Saturday, the day of “Spin the Bottle,” I spent prepping. Should I braid my hair or just leave it down and wavy? A dress or a nice pair of jeans? I looked in my closet, not finding much. Mama was at work today, but I figured I could use my allowance and go to the mall to buy something nice for the party.
I went uptown to a strip mall and went into a store called H&M. I’d always heard the cheerleaders and popular girls chatting about it, saying it was the best place for great clothes at inexpensive prices. Why not? I thought.
When I stepped into the store, I saw dresses and jeans and blouses of all kinds. Before I’d left, I’d counted my money: fifty dollars and twenty-five cents. It was just sitting there in an old jelly jar on my desk. I decided that I wouldn’t spend all of it, but there were so many clothes, I wasn’t sure what to try on first.
Finally, I settled down on three dresses and a pair of jean shorts with two different blouses. In the dressing room, I tried on the first dress. It was a black, flowing dress with big sleeves and a deep V-neck. I looked in the mirror and took out my ponytail. Wow, I thought. The dress didn’t look as terrible on me as I believed it would. I took off the dress and chose another one. This one was a form-fitting dress with black and white stripes and a black fabric material used for the straps. This one did not flatter me like the other one did, showing off my stick-like figure. I decided to skip the last dress because it had the same shape as the second one. I tried on the jean shorts and the first blouse, a blue and green floral pattern. This was my favorite outfit out of all the clothes I’d tried on, so I chose to buy the jean shorts and blouse along with the first dress.
Next door was a Payless Shoe Source. I purchase a pair of neutral four-inch stilettos. By the time I got home, I realized that I’d spent all of my allowance, but twenty-five cents.