I AM ME

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

The Callback

At exactly 4pm, the phone rang. I ran to it and picked it up.
“ Ashley Brownstone?” asked a voice.
“ That’s me,” I said, trying to sound casual.
“ You’ve made it into callbacks. They’re at 7pm. Same place as before,” said the voice.
“ Thanks,” I said, hanging up.
Mom came in and said,” So...”
“ I made it into callbacks. They’re at 7pm. The same place as before,” I told her, jumping up and down.
She smiled and hugged me. “ You’ll do great. I know you will,”she said as I blushed fiercely.
Ever since Dad had left us, Mom had tried her best to raise me. Luckily she’d had a good career so we didn’t starve or be poor but we weren’t rich, we were middle class. I had a nice home, food on the table, clothes and a great mother who understood me. Others didn’t have that so I considered myself lucky.
If I got this part, I’d finally be making a name for myself other than Shy Wallflower. I’d be an actress something I’d been dreaming about my whole life but never managed to get the courage to pursue that dream.
I was on edge for the rest of the day. I tried to distract myself by reading, texting friends, and other things but each task only lasted 30 minutes or so.
When Mom dropped me off, I walked inside and saw 3 or 4 girls sitting on the couch and 3 or 4 boys on another one. I sat down in a chair and put my hands together, breathing in and out to calm myself down.
“ Ashley Brownstone?” asked a voice.
“ Here,” I heard myself say, standing up.
She waved at me to follow her and took me to the room before.
“ Hello, Ashley,” said the man in the middle.
“ Ash,” I corrected.
“ There aren’t that many teenage female characters to play in this movie,” said the man.
“ Only Korra and Asami, right?” I asked.
“ Yes, you don’t look like Asami at all but Korra. When we first saw you, we thought you’d be the perfect Korra,” he said. I blushed. “ Since we were unable to find any other candidates for the Korra part, congratulations. You are Korra.”
I looked at him, dumbfounded.
“ It’s nice to have you on our team, Ash. My name is Thomas Robinson but you can call me Tom. I’m the casting director,” said the man on my left.
“ I’m William. Will Jenkins. Will is fine. I’m the director,” said the man in the middle.
“ Hello, Ash. I’m Georgia Collins. Just call me Georgia. I’m the hair, clothes, and makeup person,” said the woman, finally looking up from her laptop.
“ Hello,” I said, shyly.
“ Alright. Go into the next room. We’ll call in everyone else. Tell them who we think they’ll be good for and then we have more tryouts. You’ll just watch,” said Tom. I sat down as the rest of the boys and girls came in.
“ Hello. Girls, if you wanted to be Korra, you better leave because we’ve already casted her. The role of Asami is still open however,” said Will. Half of the girls left.
“ Boys, the roles of Tahno and Bolin are still open,” said Will.
“ Who’s that?” asked a girl. I looked at her. She looked more like Asami would in real life than any of the other girls. She had black curly hair and pale skin. Her eyes were blue and she smiled at me. I smiled back.
“ This is Ash Brownstone. She’s been casted as Korra,” said Georgia. Their eyes grew wide with jealousy and envy. The auditions lasted for a while but at the end, the girl who’d smiled at me, Kim Johns, was casted as Asami. A guy with dark brown hair and brown eyes, Mark Picard, had been casted as Bolin and a guy called John Stein was casted as Tahno. The casting process was over.