Just In Time For Christmas

Author's note: Tis' the season!
Author's note: Tis' the season!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

The weather is frightful

It was a snowy winter’s day. Mealonie Holiday sprawled upon a chair moaning. She knew from the looks of the snow, she would be snowed in by morning.
“Why does winter have to be so difficult?” mealonie grumbled “its wonder to think that people actually enjoy the snow.”
Nothing about the Holidays excited her. As she saw it, she had everything she could ever want. So why did she still feel part of her missing?
She began saying “I guess the snow is peaceful, but when you have to shovel it, you lose the spirit rightfully.”
Many people thought Mealonie was a heartless woman, but had everything imaginable. She had the biggest house by far, a good salary, a beautiful car, and so much more. Why want, when you can have? People in town knew what Mealonie was missing; the Christmas spirit.
“Christmas is just an excuse for stores to bump their prices on plastic toys and cheap tableware. Ah what’s it to me? What happened? Didn’t I have a good childhood full of Christmases?” Mealonie got up and started the fire in the fireplace.
“Sometimes I wonder who even cares that I spend all my time alone,” she continued “I wonder if I disappeared for Christmas if anyone would even care!”
The Blizzard slowed down and Mealonie decided to go collect more wood to last up for the chilly night. She grabbed her axe and bundled up. As she opened the door of her house, six feet of snow came plowing in. An arctic breeze nipped the air.
“Burr! Great! Just Great!” She exclaimed “I wonder if getting eaten by a bear is worse than freezing to death!”
Mealonie began to shoo the snow out with a nearby shovel. She grabbed her trail shoes, than shoveled her way to the top of the mound of built up snow encasing her house. She put her trail shoes on and started for the woods surrounding her home. The woods were the only thing that kept her separated from the small town that longed for her visit. It had been a long time since she had actually visited or even stopped in the Town. As Mealonie wandered through the woods, she thought about the past couple years; one subject she liked to pretend wasn’t there.
She mumbled “Better left unsaid.” Mealonie was startled by a man’s voice. “Child that’s why nothing ever changes in this ole’ town!”
She was surprised to see that the man looked very old. Why was he out here? He could get hurt very easily! She started to walk towards him. The wind picked up and she could not even see the ground in front of her. Mealonie became frightened and tried to run, only to result in a stumble. She blacked out.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »