Shasem

Author's note: I was inspired to write this hoping people would be more open minded to knew ideas and listen to...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this hoping people would be more open minded to knew ideas and listen to other people more when you try to help but you make it worse.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

San Juan Island

I was staring into the seemingly empty ocean near my little island, San Juan Island. Like any other Saturday right after dawn, and it was quiet. My parents thought I was still deep asleep since it was a Friday last night. The ocean was deep blue and dawn had turned to day.
That meant I'd have to run up the mountain back to my house, wake up everyone and cook breakfast. I started running, I took my slippers off to run so they wouldn't fall downwards when I went up to my home.
I got home and I slept for about one extra hour after I climbed in through the window. Then with my sleepy face on I went to wake up everyone, first my parents and then my older sister and brother.
"Hey, brats." My brother greeted me and my sister, though she was older than me she wasn't older than our brother.
"Hi, idiot." My sister said, she was fifteen and he was seventeen.
Me, I was twelve.
"Hi-" I started, but my brother cut me off.
"Omelet, now."
"Me, too. Extra mushrooms." My sister added.
"And you, ma?" I asked my mom.
"Me and your dad are going out, nothing for us," She said, "Lucas," My mom said to my brother, "Be easy on your sisters."
"Sure, sure." He responded, more like 'No, no.'
"Okay, goodbye, Lucas."
"Huh? Oh, yea, bye." He was too busy on his laptop to pay attention, and apparently to make his breakfast.
"Bye, Sarah."
"Yea, okay, mom." My sister said with her eyes focused on her cell phone screen texting.
"Bye, ma!" I said to my mom.
"Bye, Grace."
I got cooking, it seemed almost impossible that I knew more cooking than my own mother. I wanted to run away to the ocean; it seemed so much easier there.
"Okay, Gracie. Where's my breakfast?" My brother asked impatiently.
"It's Grace not Gracie first of all, and second of all it's right in front of you. You would know that if you didn't spend the whole day looking at your laptop." I said.
"And mine?" My sister asked.
"It's almost done."
"It better be! I'm starved."
"Well, that is what anorexia does to you, you know?"
"Hm!"
I couldn't wait for my mom and dad to come back. So then I could go back to the bay, it was so beautiful there. And it was the time of the year that the killer whales came to visit San Juan Island. It was magical.
"Here." I said to my sister handing her her omelet.
"Thanks. Hey, lil' sis?"
"Yeah?"
"Go get me pepper."
"Sure."
I handed her the pepper. Soon hours went by and my parents finally got home.
"Hi, pa!" I said to my dad.
"Hey, hun. We brought lunch."
"What is it?"
"Tacos."
"Don't you like the tacos I make?"
"Yes, but... These are from a restaurant."
"The difference?"
"I don't know."
He moved on.
"Mom?" I asked.
"Yes, Grace?"
"Can I go have a private picnic? You don't even have to give me your food."
"Yeah, sure. I'll see you later."
And with that said I grabbed my fishing cane, fishing net, fork and knife. And I left.