The Picker

Author's note: It all started one day when one of my friends asked me to come up with a story. And so i told her...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: It all started one day when one of my friends asked me to come up with a story. And so i told her about a tree, with notes in it form past students, and you can leave a not if you wish. The idea kind of carried on from that, and became bigger and bigger.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Winter Formal

The entire school had freedom for a week, to find which dress they wanted, and each student was sent an amount of money from their parents to spend in order to find the perfect dress. It was a big deal. I found a white, sparkling puffy dress that I loved, but it looked as though I was going to a wedding, so it did not work. I tried on twenty dresses, and then I found one. It was perfect.
It was blue, a color I had not expected myself to like, a mix between sky blue and a darker aqua blue. It had a white lace lining on the bottom and was strapless, with a small amount of tulle underneath, only to make it puff out just a bit. It was gorgeous, and I bought a white head band to go along with it and a white clutch.
I came with my friends to winter formal. I was alone. No date, only friends. Before I was about to step into the building for the dance, I heard someone calling my name,
“Angie! Wait,” I turned around to see Joey.
“Joey, what are you doing here?” I asked him,
“I came for you. Angie there is something I have to tell you, I Love you, I only went out with Cat to make you jealous.”
“I love you too.” I smiled and held his hand.
“Angie, not in the brother way, I mean you are beautiful, you are amazing, you are precious. I can’t stand being away from you. Angie, I am in love with you.” I smiled and kissed him, and it was the most magical moment of all time.
We walked in together, and Cat looked at me. It was intense. She walked up to me and asked me who I was holding hands with.
“Joey”
“But, isn’t he like a brother to you? Remember?”
“Cat, Why can’t I love Joey? First you have a problem with Charles and I. I never loved him, don’t you get it? He went out with me just to make you jealous.”
“Then why did he break up with you?”
“Because he loves you, he never loved me.” I felt so cheesy saying these words. My high school years, with this note, had become a cheesy love story.
“Then why was he with May yesterday, holding hands?”
“Because, he is trying to make you jealous” I yelled over the music.
It was at that very moment, no sooner, and no later, that I realized the music and the background sound. I looked at the huge crowd in the school, they were all dancing and having fun, and I spotted Charles, I motioned for him to come over to where I was. He moved through the crowd, a punkie, tall, handsome man, in a tie. That’s all he was to me. But Joey, Joey was everything to me.
He came over, and when I looked at Cat, he walked over to her and tapped her on the shoulder, she turned around. Cat looked at Charles, with a confused look on her face,
“Hey” she said
“Cat, come with me, I have to tell you something.” He held her hand and walked her out to the room separating the entrance from the dance. I saw her blush, and then I pulled Joey with me to dance together.
It had been one of the most fun nights of my entire education at the school. Never had I felt so alive, I felt like I had given it my all. Then I looked back at the wish, and realized that there was something else I could do that night. I walked into the bathroom and took the note from out of my clutch.
“Number 6, make a wish and make it come true on your own.” I closed my eyes as I said this
“I want for you to wish for something, one thing. Something that you can make come true, and I want you to make it come true,” She disappeared.
I looked in the mirror and wished for Cat to be happy. Not to be jealous, and to understand that she was truly beautiful, just the way she was.
I walked outside, and I saw Charles and Cat kissing, she was smiling. I could tell she was happy. It was the easiest thing I had completed on the list by myself. I had only four more to go.
I told Joey what had happened, and after we danced for a couple hours more, we went back to my dorm and watched television. His room was only one floor below me, and he was in his pajamas. He sat, cuddled up next to me, watching crochet. It was boring, but with him, there, it was the most fascinating thing I had ever watched. He explained everything to me, and he smiled, looked down at me, and kissed me on the forehead. I smiled, and hugged him. It was the best night, by far.
I had only four more things to complete on the list. They seemed a bit pathetic, but I could understand them, If I had been in Audrey’s shoes, I would have done the very same thing.
I went into the bathroom and recited the seventh one, “number seven, be mean to just one person whom you dislike, and apologize after.” I smiled at this one.
I only disliked one person on campus, it was Charles.
I walked up to him during break that day and slammed his food from the cafeteria into his face. He grew angered at me. There wasn’t much that happened after that. He kind of walked off, and then later I apologized.
The eighth thing, I was almost done. I rushed through them, I wanted to get the list over with and live my life. I went into my room the very next day and read the note.
“Number eight, tell your biggest secret to everyone except for your best friend.” Joey and I looked at each other, and he knew exactly what I was going to do.
“This one is pretty straight out forward. Tell them your biggest secret, the only thing that Joey doesn’t know.” Then Audrey disappeared.
My biggest secret was my love for Joey, and so I ended up spreading it all around the halls. I told everyone tall and short, fat and thin, pretty and ugly… everyone. Joey did not find out, and it truly surprised me. Number eight had been officially done.
I read the ninth thing the next night, “number nine, spread a rumor.” I read
“Tell everyone that one of the teachers is getting fired, and that you overheard it in the principal’s office.” She laughed, and then she was gone.
I did exactly that, I told Charles, who told many people, and then I told May and her friend group, before break time, the entire school knew of my rumor, even Mrs. Paula, the teacher to whom I rumored to be getting fired. She began packing up her supplies, I saw, in the middle of class. I heard a loud booming over the speaker later, that Mrs. Paula was not getting fired, and it was in fact a rumor.
I had one left to go. But at that moment, I wished there would be more things to do. I wished I had not rushed through it, and then I realized how much happier I had been since I found the letter. So I sat on my bed, and read the letter, slowly.
“Number ten, talk to someone you would have never talked to before.” Audrey then appeared, she sat on the bed in front of me
“Go and talk to David, the American, and his friends. And I lied, I will pay you one more visit, but you will not have control over it, and you will not know when I will come. Good luck.” She laughed and disappeared.
I woke up the next morning, brushed my teeth and headed to school earlier than usual, once I found David, an outsider, and his group, the outsiders, I walked up to him and began to talk to each of them. They all talked back to me, happily. They seemed surprised that someone besides themselves would want to talk to them. Once I was finished with conversation, I hurried back to my dorm, half scared to death that Audrey would come then, at school.
I was reading a book peacefully, understanding that I had completed the list. But it seemed as though something was missing. I finally heard a girl laughing in the closet and I jumped from my bed to greet her.
“There you are!” I smiled
“Thanks to you, I can go to heaven; I am no longer stuck in this school, forever. Thank you, Angolie, thank you for being my picker.”
I came to school and then realized that I had not written a letter to place in the tree. I thought and though until break time came, and that was when I knew what I would do:
“Dear picker,
I am sorry you have picked this letter for it is not a very good one. I came here in the twenty first century, and I was terrified of the tree… until one day I decided to pick up a note from it. I faced my fears, and I opened a letter almost identical to this one. This is the start of a chain of letters of favors you must do. I will pay you ten visits-“
And so the letter went on. I smiled as I reached into the tree and left the note, silently. Oh what that letter had done.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Shadowpom said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm:
whoa...just got started on this and am intrigued...:) i'll have to finish up later(just finished first page) but you got something going here!! lots of luck!

Jellybeann replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm :
Thank-You so much! It is support like yours that keeps me going :) i hope you enjoy the rest of it