The Picker

Author's note: It all started one day when one of my friends asked me to come up with a story. And so i told her...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: It all started one day when one of my friends asked me to come up with a story. And so i told her about a tree, with notes in it form past students, and you can leave a not if you wish. The idea kind of carried on from that, and became bigger and bigger.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Fire Alarm

I turned to my friends, who were pale in the face. Cat was trying to say, “I told you so” but the words would not flush out, and Joey was trying to scream, but his face would not cooperate with his speech.
“What am I supposed to do?”
“Do the things on the list Angie, do the things on the list!” She yelled, I cried.
“Joey, I’m scared!” He hugged me, and I cried into his shoulder, Cat made a jealous mocking face at me, I could tell because Joey aimed one right back at her.
“It’s going to be okay, just do the things on the list, and you will be fine.”
Cat finally turned to hug me, and a last, Joey’s embrace around me was no longer.
“It’s going to be okay, trust us.” She smiled, and Joey looked at me, in a way I had never seen before. As I smiled at him, he turned away.
“When’s break over?” Cat looked down at her watch when I asked her this. She knew it was to cover up awkwardness.
“In just a little” she looked down at me and winked. I wanted to cuddle in their arms, but I could not. I heard the bell, and it was time for science class, in the English language.
The rest of the day, all I could think about was that note, the letter… because I was the picker. I went to sleep that night, cat in the bed next to me, and watched television, cat interrupted the show.
“Angie,” she said sleepily, wiping her eyes from exhaustion
“Yes, cat” I yawned as I turned down the volume of the television using the remote.
“What are you going to do about the note?”
“I have to do what the note says, don’t I? So I will.” I sunk down in my bed, wishing the day had not begun, and wishing everything that had happened had not happened.
The door slammed open, it was Charles. I was surprised and sat there in shock, in my pajamas.
“Angie, I heard about the note!” He yelled
“What? Who else knows?!” I was in complete shock
“I just overhead it, Just I know about this.” He smiled, “and, I know this sounds kind of crazy, but…. I can talk to ghosts” I was in utter shock, which wasn’t uncommon for that day.
“Your kidding-“
“Let me see the letter, please-“
“I don’t trust you-“
“Please.” I handed him the paper, confused. He read over it
“Okay, now what?” I questioned him
“Read the first line for me.”
“Okay, fine… then hand the paper to me.” He thrust out the list, and as our hands met, we looked into each other’s eyes. His hands were warm, compared to my hands, which were incredibly cold. He smiled his sweet smile, and cat broke into our moment.
“you guys” and I snapped out of it, “haha, Angie’s got a boyfriend.” She snickered, Charles smiled deep down and scratched the back of his neck.
“Erm, you should read the note now-“ Charles said to me, trying to stop the awkward moment from continuing
“Right, okay” I shuffled around and sat on my bead, he sat down next to me. Our shoulders touched and he kept it there, I could feel myself blushing. His hand moved over to mine, and our hands were touching. My cheeks were read, and I could feel it.
“Number one-“as I said the words, he reached over to hold my hand. We had just interlocked our hands when the door slammed open, banging against the wall. Joey ran into the room.
“Angie, I found-“ he stopped moving, then saw Charles sitting next to me and us holding hands.
“Yeah” I looked at him with a slight smile on my face.
“Angie, angie, no, you can’t!”
“Can’t what”
“Don’t go out with him, he is a jerk and he will break your heart.”
“Why do you hate Charles so much?”
“It’s not that, it’s just-“as joey said this, Charles removed his hand
“Just read the note” Charles said
“Okay,” “number one, pull the fire alarm, and there’ a catch to it.”
Suddenly, I heard a teenage girl crying. I could not figure out where it was coming from. Then, I heard a loud cry, and Charles took my hand, I let him take me into the closet. There sat a teenager our age, bent over and hugging her knees. Mascara and eyeliner bleeding from her eyes, she had long, straight black hair. She was dressed from older times, and her hair was parted in the side, so she had side bands, the back ends of her hair waved outwards, and her shoes, I noticed, were Mary Janes.
“Help me, please!” She screamed, I looked back and realized that neither Joey or Cat could hear or see anything coming from the closet…
“Angie, it’s Audrey, and you have the power too, the power to talk to ghosts. They don’t see anyone or here anything, only us two.” Charles explained to me, looking in Cat’s direction
“Hi, Audrey, I’m the picker.” I said, hoping she would understand what I was saying
“You are?!” She jumped up
“Yes,” I sighed
“I’ve been locked up in this stupid school, for a hundred years. I can’t go on to heaven until the things on the list have been completed. You have the list, right?”
“Yeah, I do.” I gave her the list, she was cold, cold and hard as stone.
“Well, the first thing on the list is to pull the fire alarm. I know it sounds silly, but I wrote this letter a hundred years ago, and that was the worst thing you could you. Plus, I still kind of want to do it. It’s the one on this floor. By the bathroom,” she smiled, “but here is the catch, you have to admit your feelings to a school crush. And don’t say you do not have one, because I know you both do.” She winked at both of us, and I had only a small idea of what she was saying.
“Okay, is that all?” I asked
“Well, you must also hide with them, so that nobody questions you who pulled it, and only you two, alone.” She giggled, I shrugged.
“Let’s do it!” I looked at Charles, who was smiling at me. I had realized at that point that he was a shy, punkie boy… he was just loud and kind of cute, which made him popular.
Charles explained to Joey and Cat what we were going to do. Joey had this long expression on his face,
“What about the second part?” Joey looked at me
“You mean, admitting your feelings to a school crush?” I asked
“Yeah,” he leaned forward, crossing his shoulders on his knees.
“Well,” I looked in Charles’ direction
“Angie, remember what I told you.” Joey sighed
“Yes, Joey.”

Shadowpom said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm:
whoa...just got started on this and am intrigued...:) i'll have to finish up later(just finished first page) but you got something going here!! lots of luck!

Jellybeann replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm :
Thank-You so much! It is support like yours that keeps me going :) i hope you enjoy the rest of it