Skylar Zo

Author's note: I had to write a fiction short story for school one day and this plot just popped into my head....  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I had to write a fiction short story for school one day and this plot just popped into my head. I'm actually really proud of it. It's short and quick but I hope everyone who reads it like its for a quick cute read.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Normal Girl

While other ‘normal’ teenagers spend their Saturday afternoons at the mall or hanging out at the movies, I was waiting at home waiting to chase down the Fed-EX truck that had the next two weeks of my life in it. I’d been waiting anxiously for the past few months and now it was almost here. So, what exactly was I so desperately waiting for? Well the new Skylar Zo novel, Midnight Heart, that’s what.
Her newest romance novel, Midnight Heart, was about a guy and a girl who met in the most unexpected way possible. The New York Times did an early review on it and said it was probably one of her best novels so far. Skylar Zo was my favorite author of all time. She was my inspiration, my idol; she was everything I wanted to be. She’s only five years older than I am and has already written six published novels, each one better than the last. Her writing style is so unique that even if she writes about the simplest concept, she still has her way of putting her special twist on it. I could only hope to be as amazing of a writer as she was when I become a professional writer.

“And with that she let go of her past. Never looking back to the broken life she lived.” I read that last sentence, and then reread it again. My best friend Lily burst through my bedroom door as I was absorbing the brilliance of what I just finished reading,
“Oh my gosh, Sarah. You’ve been locked up in this room for the past two weeks reading a stupid book! It’s summer vacation! You are wasting your precious summer time” she exclaimed, flopping herself onto my twin sized bed.
“I just finished it. And no, I was not wasting my time. I was reading a really good book. You should try it sometime,” I said, sarcastically. I walked over to my bookshelf to place Midnight Heart next to all the other five books I had of hers. They were neatly placed beside each other. I always got a giddy feeling whenever I finished a book and was able to squeeze it onto my bookshelf with all my other books.
“No thanks!” Lily said, with a shrug. “I’d rather be flirting with hotties at the mall. Which, by the way, I want to do right now. So get out of your sweats and let’s go!”
Sometimes I honestly wondered why Lily and I were best friends. We’d met in the5th grade when she moved to our town, Willows Field. Our mothers worked together, then set us up on a play date, ignoring the fact that ten years old don’t usually like play dates. Still, we got along very well on our first play date. After that, we’d started sitting next to each other at lunch. Our friendship was cemented when we started walking home together from school.
It had been just like that for the past seven years, hanging out at home, on weekends and after school. But quite honestly, Lily and I had nothing in common. She was outgoing, and popular, while I didn’t really have many friends besides her. Everyone liked her, especially boys. In fact, Lily had never run across a boy who didn’t think she was fantastic. Boys never really noticed me at all, much less considered me fantastic. She didn’t mind spending every weekend shopping at the mall with groups of girls from school, hanging out at the food court, drinking way too much Starbucks. I, on the other hand, would much rather be reading a book on my couch, or snuggled up in my bed, watching reruns of One Tree Hill.
Yes, Lily was the complete opposite of me. But I suppose we balanced each other out. I helped Lily to relax whenever she got tired of being the social butterfly, while she helped bring me out of my shell
“No way are you turning into an old lady at seventeen, Sarah!” was her favorite thing to say.
“Actually, I was thinking of just going on the Skylar Zo forum and read what everyone else thinks about the new book.” I said quietly, in response to her invitation to the mall.
“You have to be kidding me, Sarah.” Lily rolled her eyes. “Sarah, you are seventeen years old. Do you really want to look back years from now and think you spent all your high school years stuck in your room? Reading stupid romance novels?”
“It wouldn’t bother me at all.” I replied.
“Okay, you know what? Let’s make a deal. You can read up on your little loser forum for the next 30 minutes while I pick you out an outfit for the mall.” She walked up to my closet door. “You are my best friend Sarah. I am not going to let you stay in this house all summer.”
I rolled my eyes, but opened up my laptop and logged onto the Skylar Zo forum right away. I knew the minute Lily picked out my outfit that would be it. I’d have no choice but to start getting ready to make a trip to the mall.
As I scoured the forum, Lily went on and on about a cute outfit at Forever 21 she was ‘for sure’ going mall today. Scott Mosby, a cute lifeguard at she’d met at our community pool, had asked her out to a party tonight.
“I’m desperate for a new outfit! I don’t have a thing to wear”, she sighed. This was a complete lie… Lily’s closet could fit three Forever 21 stores.
I drowned her out her rambling talk about boys and outfits. But then, my heart stopped.
“AHHHH!” I yelled, not believing what I’d just read.
“What the heck?! What is it?” Lily immediately stopped rifling through my closet, and ran over beside me.
“She’s coming here! She’s coming to Willow Fields!” I exclaimed, barely even able to contain myself.
Skylar Zo, my biggest inspiration was coming to my town! The women who made me want to become a writer, whose words made such a connection with me. Skylar Zo was the reason I spent my afternoons working at a crappy coffee shop, with an annoying boss and annoying hipster customers. I used my pay to purchase a Skylar Zo fan club membership. A membership included receiving a signed copy of her books two weeks before their official release, weekly e-letters sent to my email account, and even her book signing itinerary.
Skylar Zo, the woman who wrote that books that offered me a sweet escape from my mediocre life. She was coming to my town!
“She’s coming here!” I told Lily. “Skylar Zo is coming here to Willow Fields.”
I looked back at the forum for more details. “It says she’s going to be staying at the Willow Field Hotel uptown! She’s going to be here for two days doing press for Midnight Heart!” I couldn’t stop grinning from ear to ear. “Oh I wish I could meet her. That would be a dream came true”.
“Why can’t you meet her?” Lily asked, with a shrug.
“She’s only here for press so only press can go in to meet her, obviously.” I gave Lily a “duh” look.
“So what, Sarah? We’ll sneak in!” Lily suggested, excitedly. “This woman is your idol! You need to meet her. This is a once and a lifetime opportunity, right? We’ll come up with some way for you to meet her, no matter what!”
Whenever Lily said things like that it made me realize why I loved her. She was so crazy and out of this world! I’m so paranoid and reserved. ..It would have never occurred to me to try and sneak in to meet her.
“That would be incredible Lil, but you know we can’t do that”, I said, skeptically.
“Yes we can and we will. Sarah, take a risk! What’s the worst that can happen?” Lily insisted, but she sighed when she saw my nervous expression. She looked ready to let it go, so I don’t know where the next word that came out of my mouth came from. The usual me would never agree to a crazy plan like sneaking in to see a celebrity book writer. But I just blurted it out, and once Lily heard it there was no going back.
“Okay. Let’s sneak in!”
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »