New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Autumn Falls

Author's note: I got inspiration from all of the 'mythical creature' type books. With the interesting,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I got inspiration from all of the 'mythical creature' type books. With the interesting, intriguing characters that really leave you wanting to know more about them.

I hope that people will really enjoy the story as much as I did writing it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 Next »

Walls

I caught myself before I nearly slipped and crashed on the white-tiled floor and onto a pile of slung open textbooks that I had let slip from my hands.
“I hate mondays.” I muttered under my breath. I groaned and smoothed out my shirt. I glanced around quickly -- making sure no one had noticed.

I sighed with relief. Thankfully, everyone had entered the classrooms and the hallways were empty. I was safe from humiliation. Safe from a few bruises too.
A Monday. A horrible,
It may be long, but i tried my best to add as little pages to this chapter as I could. This story is not finished, so I will be adding more chapters soon. thanks for taking the time to read my story. (:
horrible Monday. I’m not gonna go into detail, but let’s just say that I’m probably the unluckiest person to walk these halls.
Halls that reeked with bleach, mixed with a few hundreds of perfumes that some girls had sprayed. The swirl of those scents really didn’t complement anything. Bright neon-colored flyers lined along the dark blue walls.. Taped over other flyers and covering chess-club invites. The word ‘Wolverines’ was plastered across the wall at the end of the hallway in a dark blue colored. Outlined with a yellow-y gold.
High-School was the epitome of drama and disaster.

The cheerleaders dominated the school, with their blue and gold uniforms and their loud bubble-gum chewing that never ceased to annoy me. Their high pitched squeaky voiced bounced off the walls when they laughed and giggled at whatever the hot muscly jocks were saying.
The football players never failed to humiliate the rest of the students, whomever they thought wasn’t good enough. Shoving other kids into lockers and tossing backpacks down the stairwells. Sticking a gob of gum in some dude’s hair. Tripping a freshman in gym....
This was the greatest four years of my life, according to my parents.
And being a Junior meant I was growing closer to that graduation that I eagerly welcomed with open arms.
I rolled my eyes and bent down to pick up my textbooks, one by one.
School will be the death of me, I thought to myself.
Juggling a backpack and two textbooks in my arms, I attempted to make my way down to Mrs. Russell’s classroom. I smoothed down my hair as much as possible.
To make this year somewhat easier I had Keri and Tamera on my side. My best friends since elementary.
They brightened days like these -- with their cheery moods and bubbly personalities. On the other hand, it sometimes grew annoying.
I pushed open the classroom door, and Mrs. Russell was in the middle of explaining a exam that was due sometime next week. She faced the blackboard so hopefully she didn’t acknowledge my entrance. I quickly scurried over to my empty seat and sat down. I peeked over at Keri’s open textbook and searched for the page that we were supposed to be on. I flipped page after page till I finally found it.
Relief washed over me.
“Now, students, I want you to do pages 156 through 167. Please get started. Questions?” Mrs Russell turned to face us.
Her beady, strict eyes focused on me. “Sidney Wallace.” She said. “Nice to see that you’ve made it to class.” And looked away. She focused her cringe-inducing gaze onto someone else and smiled warmly. It didn’t suit her.
Mrs. Margaret Russell spent most of her time frowning and scolding during and after school hours. Her eyes looked exceptionally large behind her thick glasses. Her hair looked different today. She usually kept it pulled up into a bun. Today, it was pulled back into a braid that hung down her back.
Mrs. Russell wasn’t the nicest teacher in this school. Unless we had a lot of homework.
She paced back and forth in front of her wooden desk. “Before we start, I’d like to introduce everyone to Luke Moretti.” She said and smiled again.
New student, huh? That’s sort of a big deal around here. We usually don’t see any new students that are new in town. I’m glad to see that we are actually located on a map, considering how small our town is.
Automatically, I looked over to my right, and there he sat. His eyes were focused on the teacher and all of the students turned to look right at him.
Luke looked over at me and smiled kindly.
His were eyes a pretty liquid hazel. His hair a chocolatey brown, mixed with a tinge of bronze. Luke’s eyes flickered away and he turned his head towards Mrs. Russell.
Honestly, Mr. Moretti was quite attractive.
There wasn’t that many guys in this school that I fancied. Most of them were either jerks or taken. But this guy, this guy here was...beautiful. Just that.
Beautiful.
The shape of his face was so perfect. His prominent jawline, and his sculpted nose was hard to ignore. And his eyes were so bright. No, not just how the light shone on them. It was the brightness of the color of his eyes. Like they glowed subtly from within.
A lovely gold sheen mixed with a swirl of green laced with a tinge of brown.
I tried not to smile at him. That could be weird. But smiling was polite, how could that be weird? Shut up, Sidney. I thought.
I looked away. This was growing a bit awkward. Did he notice me staring at him?
Mrs. Russell began to speak, “He’s new in Maple Falls, and I would appreciate it if you would make him feel welcome.” She glared at us expectantly.
A male voice spoke up. “Sup?” And the boy reached over as if he was going to give Luke a high-five.
A few girls giggled under their breaths in the quiet classroom.
Luke looked over at the guy. His expression perplexed.
The guy, who is on the football team, smiled widely. “Welcome to our town. It’s pretty boring here. It’s named after maple syrup.” He joked, his laughter came out in loud guffaws. I rolled my eyes.
Luke smiled and nodded positively. “Good to know.” He smirked.
Mrs Russell seemed to grow annoyed and tapped her infamous red-orange ruler against the desk. “After class, is what I meant.” She protested. “Get started on your work.”
Eek. I didn’t want to see a fight so early this morning. But I know a few who’d like to see that. I grabbed my pencil and tried to pull a bouquet of concentration out of the clouds of frustration that hung light in the air.
Right before I finished with my last page, I stole a glance at that new guy.
His eyes intensely were focused on a book he had pulled out from his bag. The spine of it was worn and the pages were ragged, where he had dog-eared some of the pages.
Luke must like to read. I liked that.
I tried to study his expression as his eyebrows moved, showing his emotion as his eyes scanned the page slowly. They pulled together in concentration and raised in surprise.
I was staring again.
Keri poked me with her pencil. I whirled around and looked at her.
“What?” I whispered.
She pointed towards Luke with her yellow pencil. “Ask him to the dance.” She spoke softly and smiled eagerly.
I shook my head and smiled a little. “No.” I mouthed. “I’m not going.”
Keri rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Whatever.” She said, barely loud enough for me to hear. She doodled smiley faces on a piece of scrap paper.
I glanced up at the clock and hurried to finish my work.
Afterwards, I made my way through the crowded hallway and passed by a few of the cheerleaders.

One of them stood with one hand on her hip and she said, “Did you see him? My God, he’s adorable.” She gawked. “And he’s quiet. That’s hot. But he can’t be too quiet, cause that’s weird. What do you think?” The long haired blonde asked her curly haired blonde friend.
She contemplated that. “I would totally date that. I mean, I wouldn’t take him from you or anything....” The girl looked away.
Mallory’s eyes quickly flickered to the girl. She raised an eyebrow and shifted her weight onto one foot. “I’d hope not. ‘Cause honestly, if I were him I wouldn’t pick you.” She looked her up and down. Mallory reached over to gently place her hand on the girl’s shoulder, as if she felt sympathy for her. “Sorry.”

The girl looked at Mallory with sadness in her eyes and looked away. “Did you see his eyes? I’ve never seen a color like that.” She went on.
I drew a breath and escaped to my locker. I shoved my things into the small space and took out a few papers that were due for next period.
Come to think of it, the girl was right. I haven’t seen eyes like Luke’s before. They were different. They were a swirl of deep greens, and speckle-y browns and shimmering golds. The thought sent me into a dream-like reverie.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 Next »