The Fall Of Evil

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Chase

I could hear the footsteps of my pursuer as I ran. I searched for a place to hide but there were only trees. Suddenly I heard another sound coming from above me. It broke through my rhythm as if it were the most important thing. A heartbeat. I looked up and saw a young girl looking down at me. She mouthed something and I quickly focused on her lips so I could understand. Jump. You have to jump. She repeated it over and over until finally I nodded once. I waited until I was directly beneath her then jumped as high as I could. The lowest branch to the ground was ten or fifteen feet high but I landed on it with ease. I watched as my pursuer stopped below me and looked all around. Her movements were slow and jerky, unlike the quick and fluid movements my father taught me. I stood on the branch watching as she ran two hundred feet or more in every direction trying to catch my scent until finally she gave up and set up camp for the night. The girl appeared beside me with a bowl filled with some sort of soup. She was a few years younger than me and unbelievably human. Her scent was strong and almost unbearable at first, I almost jumped to the ground and started running again when she came up beside me and I got the full intoxication of it.
"From my mother." She whispered handing it to me.
"Thank you." My voice was low and rough. My father used to say I inherited all of my traits from my mother, except my voice.
The girl was silent for awhile as we watched the woman below me. "What's your name?" She asked finally.
I swallowed the soup and said, "Ashira. My mother wanted me named after the Ash tree but my father wanted more of a unique name." I could feel her eyes roaming my body, it was as if she were burning holes into my arms and stomach as she looked over all of my muscles.
"I'm Rosella." She smiled and held out her hand. I took it after a moments hesitation. Suddenly all the tension in my muscles was gone and all the anxiety I had disappeared. I jerked my hand away and stared at this girl. Then I understood. She was a Marthanian or a human witch. They were rare and very difficult to find. I've only ever known of one being in this area and that was my mother. "Will you come inside for the night?" Rosella asked breaking through my thoughts. I hesitated, I wanted to be able to watch the woman but as much as I didn't want to admit it I needed to sleep.
Finally I shook my head. "No, I'll stay here for the night. I need to leave early if i want to get rid of her." I spat out the last word as if it were venom. The girl nodded and jumped back up to the hut she was in when I first saw her. She leaped from branch to branch gracefully, as if she'd been doing it all her life. When she was back inside I looked down at the woman below me. She was strikingly beautiful but I wasn't going to be fooled by that. I knew what she was and what she wanted from me. I also knew she would never get it. I sat watching her for awhile longer before settling back against the tree trunk and falling into a soft sleep.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

LoveLiveLife said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 2:18 am
I have just started to read this and I love it. it is so amazing.. xD

s.richards replied...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:34 am
thank you.

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 12:37 am
wow!!! it is so awesome!! love it! keep it up!

s.richards replied...
thank you. :)