A New Life | Teen Ink

A New Life

By OnaMae12 BRONZE, fountain, Colorado
OnaMae12 BRONZE, Fountain, Colorado

Author's note: This is the first book that I have written. It is not the best because it is the first thing but I hope you like it!

After the party on Friday my friends dropped me off at my house. It was 3 in the morning and when I go to my house all the lights in my house were on. Inside and out. This was a very strange thing for my family because my mom went to bed at 9 and my dad worked nights. When I got closer to the front door I noticed that my dad’s car was in the drive way which shouldn’t be here.
As I slowly reach the door I start to hear screaming and yelling. The screaming and yelling was very normal for my house. My parents were always fighting like this. But this time it just felt wrong. It felt so wrong that I was scared to go inside my house. But I knew I had to see what was happening. Inside the house was trashed. Couches, tables, cabinets, and everything over turned. It looked like a tornado had come only in our house. As I keep walking I hear a very quiet and weak cry. My baby sister Isabel I lying nearby in a pile of blanket under the only upright table.
My mother would never leave Isabel unattended there had to be something wrong. I scoop Isabel up in my arms and ran to where my mom and dad were fighting. They were in there bedroom where they normally were when this happened. I was standing in the door way when I saw my mother. Her face was swollen and she was in the corner crying. My father was standing over her with his fist up about to punch her.
“STOP! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!?” I screamed as I put Isabel down and run to my mom’s aide. But before I get there my dad turned around and pushes me back.
“Don’t be stupid. You would never be able to stop me.” I could smell the alcohol on his breath from 3 feet away. But I was not going to give up. I got back up after he turned his attention back to my mom and kicked him as hard as I could. Which I guess was not had enough because he turns around and punches me so hard that I fly across the room and hit my mom’s glass mirror.
I hear my head crack against the glass and my mom screaming in terror. I start to black out, but before I’m totally gone I hear my dad say,” Now it’s your turn.” Then I was out.

Everything is blurry when I wake up. My head is throbbing and I’m crumpled on the floor to my mom. I start to sit up and my head starts spinning. I close my eyes and touch the back of my head and face where it hurts. The back of my head is worse than the front. I notice that I was sitting in a pile of bloody glass from the mirror I was thrown into last night.
“Mom-mom you need to get up. We need to find Isabel and get out of here.” I shake her a little but she doesn’t move. I try again but still no luck. She is very cold and pale. I try and find a pulse but I can’t. Then I realize that she is dead. My dad murdered my mom and tried to kill me. I did not have time cry because I heard my mom sister cry. I shot up and ran towards the sound of her voice. Isabel is locked in the bathroom lying on the floor.
“Isabel, sweetheart hold on I will get you out of there. Let me just find the key or something to break down the door.” I run to my bathroom and grab my extra key then hurry to get Isabel.
Ask I pick her up and put her in my arms I hear a car pull into the driver way.
“S***.”
I run to my room and lock the door. I set Isabel down on the bed then grab the phone. As I’m dialing 911 I hear the door open and close.
“Hello, please help. I live at 552 Blossom Circle. My name is Juliet Keller. Last night my dad killed my mom and tried to kill me. He just walked in the door.” I say in a rush.
“Sweetheart stay where you are and the police will be there in a few minutes. Stay on the phone with me until they arrive.”
Then I hear him.
“You better open this door right now before I knock it down.” He screamed as kicking the door.
“PLEASE-PLEASE just go away! Why are you doing this?” He just laughed.
“Juliet go into the closet. The police should…..” Then My dad grabbed the phone. He must have found the key.
“You can’t save her, you’re too late.” He hung up and turns towards me and grabs my throat and picks me up choking me.
“You stupid girl just like your mother, always trying to save the day and help everyone. And that’s why you and your sister have to go.” I was starting to fade out because I could not breath. Then I heard the cops.
“Sir I need you to drop the girl and put your hands on your head.” He just laughs and says “Why would you want her? She is just a stupid b**** who needs to learn!” Then he dropped me. Just like that and I hit the floor and the police rush over and cuff him.
“Oh and one more thing!”
He turns around and kicks me in the ribs. The cops get him out of the room and I pass out because of the pain and lack of oxygen.

When I woke up I was alone in a very pale pink room with a TV on the wall. Isabel where’s Isabel? She’s not with me. Jumping out of bed and into the hallway and searched frantically.
“Isabel-Isabel where are you?” I look in every room.
As I reach the end of the hallway someone grabs me scoops me up in their arms. I freeze and then scream and try to get away.
“HELP-HELP! Put me down. What are you doing, HELP!” I’m thrashing in his arms and trying to get down.
“Honey, you should be resting and not running around the hospital this soon. Let’s get you back to your room.”
“I’m not going anywhere with you. Now PUT ME DOWN.”
“Umm sorry Hun can’t do that just yet. Just wait till we get back to your room and you can sit down. And by the way I’m Dillon. I was a very good friend of your mom’s. It’s horrible what happened to her.” He say’s then regrets what he said.
“Yeah tragic.” Then we arrive at my room and Isabel there on my bed with the nurse. I struggle out of his arms and run to Isabel. I snatch her up and hold her close. She stops crying and puts her head down.
“Sweetheart are you ok? She looks like she has been up all night crying.” I start to rub her back and rock back and forth so she will fall asleep.
“She’s been waiting for you to get up all night, but I didn’t want to wake you!”
“Oh, ok.” That all I can say. Everyone is silent for a few moments until the nurse says,” There are some people you need to meet Ona. People who are going to be taking care of you and your sister from now on since your dad is in prison.” She takes a step back and put’s her hand on Dillon’s back.
“This is Dillon. He is your uncle on…..” I cut her off
“This isn’t my uncle. My mom told us that she had no brothers or sisters.” I go and sit on the bed because I start to feel dizzy.
“Your mom never told you about you because your dad never really liked your mom’s family. He didn’t want you to know anything about us. He had some unknown grudge on us.”
“Us? How many are there of you?” I’m confused now.
“I have 2 brothers that I take care of. Levi and Sean and they are in the hall waiting to meet you.”
“Well I don’t want to meet them because I’m not going anywhere with you and your family. My life is here. School, friends, and my house.”
“I know it will be a big change, but it has to happen. Your only 15 and you can’t live alone.”
“Please just go away. I don’t want you here; just leave me and Isabel alone.”
“Okay, but when you are ready to talk just tell the nurse.” Then I he leaves without another word. But as soon as he leaves someone else walks in with another nurse. It was a cop.
“Ona, this is Officer Brittney. She is here to get what all happened last night” The nurse adds.
“I already told another cop last night when I got here. Why again?”
“You might remember something that happened last night that you didn’t say before.” She shyly smiles.
“Oh okay. Well let’s just get started.”
“Your legal guardian has to in the room while I talk to you. Where is he?”
“I think he is on his way to jail for the murder of my mother, if that’s who your referring to.”
“No I’m talking about your uncle.”
“I sent him away until I was not mad anymore. You can find him if you would like.” He must have heard me because he walked in smiling and sat down in the chair.”
“Well I guess we could get started” I say rudely as I lay on the bed with sleeping Isabel in my arms.
“Yea I guess we can.” Then she starts interrogating me over things that make me cry.

I had to tell the officer about everything my dad did. Throwing me against the wall, kicking me in the ribs, punching my mom, and the almost chocking me in my room.
“Miss. Keller, you tell me anything else that happened that night? Anything would help.” She said as a person walked into the room with a camera.
“No that’s all that happened. I remember everything of that night. And I think you have a guest.” I say as I move my arm out from under Isabel and point to the man at the door
She turns around and smiles shyly.
“This is Tyler our police photographer. He needs to come and take photos of the wounds on your face, neck, and ribs. We need them to build a case on your father.”
“Can I go and look in the mirror first because I haven’t even seen myself?”
“Ok, but be quick because your uncle has some paperwork to fill out before you pack your things.” The cop said as she stood up
“Sure thing, can someone come and get Isabel from me? I don’t want to wake her.” I say as I’m standing up
“Sure thing sweetheart. I’m going to have to get used to holding a baby again since she will be living with me.” Dillon says as he picks Isabel up and rocks he back to sleep.
“Yah I guess you will.”
As I get in to the bathroom and lock the door I brace myself to look in the mirror. I slowly turn around with my eyes closed because I really did not want to see what my dad had done to my face. I counted to 3 and opened my eyes. The right lower side of my face was a blackish purple color that hurt to the touch. It was kind of swollen and puffy, but not as bad as last night. I move down to my neck. There was a black hand mark running around my neck from where my dad grabbed me and almost killed me.
Then I went down to my ribs. I lifted my cloths up and saw that there was a black and purple spot the size of a football on my right side. It was ugly to look at and hurt to touch. I did not notice that I was crying until I looked back in the mirror. I put my cloths down and turned towards the door.
“Ona are you ready to do this?” Dillon said
“Yes I’m coming.” Then I pushed the door open and wiped my tears away for Isabel. I had to be strong.

“Can only the photographer be in here while the pictures are taken? I really need to do this alone.” I say sitting on the bed again.
“Sure, this is a privet thing you have to do. We understand. I will be in the hallway with Isabel if you need me.” Dillon says as he gives me a comforting hug.
The cop and my uncle left and shut the door.
“Are you ready to get this done with Hun? I know this must be hard?”
“Yah I’m ready. Where do you want to picture first? Let’s do your ribs first because that will take the shortest time.”
Ok let’s do that.”
He tells me to lay on my side that does not have the bruises and lift up my cloths.
Once I was in place he started taking pictures. Then one minute later he said her was done with my ribs and needed to move on to my face.
“Ok if you want to put your cloths down and sit up I will start there.”
I start to sit up when I accidentally bump something hard on my side and flinched. I grabbed my side and fell back.
“Are you ok? Should I get a doctor?”
I could not speak it hurt so badly.
“Honey?” When I could talk again I sat up and said’” No I’m fine. Let’s just finish.”
“Ok, let’s do your neck. Tilt your head up like this.” He puts his hand under my chin and ever so gently puts my chin in up. Then he did my face and he was done.
“Stay exactly like that please.” Then I heard the camera click 5 times non-stop. “I think that’s all I need. Hey I’m really sorry for what happened to you and your sister. I hope everything works out living with your Uncles.” He said with a very sorry expression on his face.
“Thanks.” Is all I get out before the nurse and my Uncle Dillon came back in the room with Isabel and 2 other guy’s?
“Ona, there are some people I would like you too meet.” The nurse said in a very happy voice.
“This is Levi and Sean, my brothers and your Uncles. We are all going to be living together now.” Dillon says and the boy’s wave.
The smaller one steps up and says ,” Hi my name is Sean, I am 14 years old, and I am very excited that you and your sister will be living with us!” He seemed nice, but didn’t look like he was only 14. I would have thought 16 or 17.
“It’s nice to meet you. I don’t know what to think about living with you yet. And you don’t look like your only 14.” Isabel is confortable in his arms playing with his necklace. “That’s amazing! Isabel is normally very shy and hates new people. She must really like you.” I smiled and looked at Isabel.
“Well that’s a great thing. I’m glad that she likes me because we will be spending a lot of time together.” Sean said that in a childish voice and looked down at her with bright eyes. She laughed and reached up to his face. Everyone in the room was smiling in awe of their happiness.
After a about 1 moment of silence the other brother introduced himself.
“Hello, my name is Levi. I am the second oldest in the family. I’m sorry for what happened to your mother and my sister. She will be greatly missed.” And then he walked out of the room very quickly. I could tell how upset how was.
“IS he going to be alright? I don’t want anyone to be sad today.” I said with a slight smile on my face.
“Yeah he will be fine. He and your mother were very close and you remind him of her….. So are you ready to get out of here?”
“Sure”
I got out of the bed and get up and he handed me some cloths to change in to. ,”Thanks.”
“Let’s all give Ona some privacy and wait in the hallway. Whenever your ready sweetheart.”
Finally I have a moment to myself. I just sit on that uncomfortable hospital bed and sob to myself. My life is over and I have to start all over. I have to leave my home with these strangers.
Even though there family I don’t know them. How do I how if there not some psycho crazed people who act normal for the benefit of other people. ,” STOP” I say to myself. Stop scaring yourself and get dressed.
I slowly get up and get out of that stupid hospital dress and put my jeans and white cotton long sleeved shirt on. I felt somewhat better with my own clothes on.
I throw the gown on the bed, put my shoes on, and go to fix my hair. It’s hard to look in the mirror. All I see is where my dad hit me. Where he had almost killed me. MY face and neck were all weird colored and a little puffy. I pull my hair back in a sloppy ponytail and go to the door. I take a deep breath and take a step forward to my new future.

They were all waiting in the hall for me except Levi. I go over to Isabel and take her from Sean. She puts her head down on my neck like she has a million other times. I could tell she was exhausted.
“Levi is waiting in the front of the building if you are ready to go pack?” Dillon says with a slight smile.
“Yeah I am ready to go.” I start to walk towards the front of the hospital and they all follow by my side silent. So I decide to break the silence.
“So did you know that your sister had kids since we have never even heard about you? And doesn’t it seem kind of weird that my mom never told me about you since you are my uncles?”
“No it’s not weird because your mom wanted to protect you. I stopped ,”What do you me protect me? From what?”
“Your dad hates us for some unknown reason. He was always threatening us and saying that if we ever came around you or your mother he would kill you. Your mother only stayed with him so you would not grow up without a dad. She loved you too much. Your mother wrote us letters about you and your sister every day.
About what you liked and how special you are and that you could light up a room with your smile.” I blushed and smiled, “Just like that right there!” I turned away.
“She loved you girls more than anything in the world and tried to protect you. I’m sorry if this offends you but your dad was a horrible person who treated your mother like crap.” I always knew this about my dad, I just didn’t know why.
“I know there was something off about my dad” I was blinking back tears. So I started walking again before I started crying.
“Ona are you alright, would you like me to take Isabel” I just kept walking. Faster and faster I walked until I came to the front of the hospital and saw the car waiting to take me away from my life.
I only had moments to decide what to do. There was a bus boarding and about to leave or I can go and get the strangers car. I decided on the bus and ran with Isabel just in time. I hopped on and the doors cloths. I handed the guy a dollar that I had and then sat down. The bus started to move and I looked out the back window. 3 shocked faces ran to the car and started after us.
I was fine with this because I just needed time to think. I lean back and close my eyes. Life at the moment was crazy. My mother was dead, my dad was in prison for killing my mom and almost killing me, these strangers were her to take me away, and I was falling apart. I was crying.
The bus stopped at the first stop and let new people on. Dillon was one of those people. I looked at him and yelled, “Go away, leave me alone I’m not going with you people.” Isabel was crying and so was I. Dillon came and sat down across from me, “ Hinny I need you to calm down. I know things are crazy right now but things will get better, I promise.”
“How do you know that? Everything in my life has fallen apart. I can’t go with you people. I can take care of myself. I have all my life.” I turned away from him.
The bus came to the next stop and he stood up. Ok we have to go get up now.” His voice was soft he grabbed my hand and gently pulled me. “Let go of me, I’m not going anywhere with you.” He was getting mad I could hear it in his voice.
“Get up now. We have to hurry.” I just sat there in silent.
“Fine you want this the hard way. Bus driver wait one minute please my niece is being difficult.” Then he was reaching for me and he picked me up. I was not going without a fight.
“LET ME GO! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?” He could not get me by himself and the other 2 behind the bus saw that and came to help. Sean explains to the bus driver and then came to help. He grabbed Isabel from me.
“Give her back and let me go. I hate you guys.”
Levi and Dillon had me somehow off the seat and moving towards the front of the bus. WE were outside when they put me down. I started running the other direction, but Levi was too fast and had me over his shoulder in an instant.
“Stop struggling.” I just kicked his stomach. He growled, but kept walking. Everyone was already in the car when he so rudely threw me in the back with Dillon and Isabel.
“I am going to call the cops on you for kidnapping.” I say as I turn for the door, but can’t get out because the car starts moving.
“You go ahead and do that. They will understand what we were doing and that you are a runaway.”
I sit in silence and hold Isabel close as I cry.
“Sweetheart are you alright? We really didn’t mean to upset you or treat you like that you just were being so stubborn.” I didn’t say anything. I just stared out the window and continued to cry.
We arrived at the house at I shot out of the car and ran straight for my room still holding my little sister. Once in my room I slammed the door shut and locked the door. I threw myself on the bed and just stayed still. I thought I might die in this very spot. That was a good spot. I was confortable and I had plenty of reasons at the time.
But I had to think about Isabel. She would need me now more than ever. She didn’t understand what was going on. She was so scared and wanted her mom so very bad, and so did I. I just laid Isabel down on the bed and let her sleep. She didn’t need to see me like this.
I quietly got up and went out of my room. My uncles were cleaning everything up. What were we going to do with all this stuff? I didn’t want to take it with all the memories. And then I remembered how my mom talked about donating our house to our church. That’s what we would do.
“We are doing to leave everything in it to the church. They can do what they want with it because that’s what my mom wanted.” They all looked at me weird. I didn’t get what was so shocking.
“Ok whatever you want sweetheart. That sounds like your mom.” Levi said quietly with a smile. I started walking down the stairs and they started cleaning again. I went to the basement and got the suitcases. All of them. We needed all of our things because well we would not be coming back.
Sean and Dillon came to help me as they saw what I was doing. They grabbed almost all of them like gentlemen. I smiled. They set them in the hallway and went back to cleaning. I had lots of things and I planned on bring most of it. I put all my cloths in the biggest case and moved on to all the rest.
Pictures, jewelry, hats, make up, all the things my friends gave me, and all the other little things I could find. I also put my blanket and pillows to because they were special to me. I was done packing in about 1 hour. Isabel was waking up and getting hungry. I took a break to get food because I was also kind of hungry.
I walked down the stairs and they were all in the kitchen sitting in the kitchen.
“We don’t have any food in the house and we are kind of hungry. Can we order something?”
“We can wither order something or go get something. Whatever you would like Hun.” Dillon smiles at me. Sean is making funny faces at Isabel and she is laughing.
“Sean could you hold Isabel for a while, I think she really like you?” He jumped up and ran right to us.
“Sure I would love too!” He reached out and took her. They went back to the table and sat down with her.
“Ona do you want to go get something to eat with me, I’m also kind of hungry?” Dillon said as he walked over to me.
“Yeah because I’m kind of starving. Where do you want to go?”
“I don’t care we will find something. Anyone else want to go with us?”
“Sure” they all say! Levi grabs the keys and wallet and we get in the car. I sit in the back between Sean and Dillon. Isabel was on his lap even though that was dangerous I didn’t care. I wasn’t letting go of her.
“You want to know something? I’m really not a mean, up tight person. I am usually a very talkative get along with everything. I don’t know what’s going on with me.” I just smile and punch Dillon in the arm when I was a slug bug. He laughs.

“So where are you guys from anyways? Where am I moving to?” They all smile like they just heard a joke.
“It’s kind of a surprise. But you will LOVE it. We already have you room with a……” Sean was cut off with a punch.
“You can’t give away thing. We said that it was going to be a surprise.”
“Not fair. I want to know where I will be living for the next few years. Just a hint?”
“Not even one.” He just sits there with a grin on his face.
I slouch down in the middle and pout until we get where we are going to eat.
~~~~~~~
To be continued…